• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania goes packaged with Sonic Mania Plus! (Physical release incoming for PS4, Xbox One, Switch - Summer 2018)

Quoted from the Sega Twitter feed:

"Sonic Mania goes packaged with Sonic Mania Plus! Mighty and Ray join as playable characters, new Encore mode, 4P Competition mode, Holographic packaging, 32-page art book, and more. Summer 2018."

iHhaA9g.jpg

wnzfwCv.jpg

I've been holding out for a physical copy of this, so I'm glad that Sega decided to release one :D. This is a day one purchase for me! What do you think of the newly added characters GAF?

Bonus Sonic Mania goodness: here's a teaser of Sonic Mania Adventures, a series of animated shorts coming to YouTube.

Last edited:

GenericUser

the best thing is, that sega "officially" acknowledges the greatness that is sonic mania. Sonic Mania 2 is obviously in the works.

Last edited:
I hope there is a Megadrive cover I hate Genesis Red.

Good point. I don't mind the Genesis style label but as a PAL territory gamer I'd prefer the MegaDrive label too.

Edit: Someone already asked this on Twitter and this was their response:

"Yes the European release of Sonic Mania Plus will have a Mega Drive reversible cover."

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
The only legit way to buy this is on the switch.
FINALLY THE SONIC 4 ON P H Y S I C A L

CART
A
R
T

SpiceRacz

I urge everyone to buy this game if for no other reason to encourage Sega to make more Sonic games like this, not the bullshit they've been putting out for the past 2 decades.

mrbogus

Neo Member
Do original digital purchases of Sonic Mania get upgraded to the Plus version for free or is this an entirely new purchase?

Do original digital purchases of Sonic Mania get upgraded to the Plus version for free or is this an entirely new purchase?

Edit:
They posted this in response to a question asking about getting the new characters for the digital version:

"They will also be available for all who have the current digital version. More details on the pricing soon!"

So I guess that all of the content will be available to owners of the digital version but it'll just be some form of paid DLC. It's good to know that nobody misses out. Personally, I'm not sure if I want the new characters so the digital version with just Sonic, Knuckles and Tails might be the best one :p.

Last edited:

Silvawuff

Double-dipped on this for PC and PS4. I'll happily pay for the DLC to encourage a "more like this" approach from Sega.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Very happy about this. I will double dip and pick up the Switch physical copy to go along with my Sonic Mania CE.

Rayderism

Ok, so since I have the digital version of Sonic Mania, it will just be a DLC addon. I can live with that. Better than being expected to buy the whole game again. I'm in.

goldenpp72

I'm pretty happy this is a thing and for a decent price. I had intended to keep it sealed and just get the DLC for the digital copy I own, but it would appear it also has a price :(

I'm pretty happy this is a thing and for a decent price. I had intended to keep it sealed and just get the DLC for the digital copy I own, but it would appear it also has a price :(

Yeah it's a shame that it's not a free update for owners of the digital copy as a thankyou to those who supported the game from day one. Hopefully it'll just be a very small token amount for the "Plus" upgrade and the extra two characters.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
That is news to me. I gotta try it sometime.
I suppose that they are going to make better scanlines otherwise I don't see the point of having 4K support.

Still 1080p is enough to make proper scanlines as you can fit 4x the base resolution, meaning that each original pixel is replaced by a square of 4x4 pixel. That's actually enough to make a good scanline filter. But with 4K, you can still improve on it.

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Already own PS4...gonna buy PS4 again and also a Switch version....not that I own a Switch or plan 2 but just because its a cart!

Mighty and Ray without a trackball? yeeeeaahhh booooiiiiiiii

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I just finished playing my Switch copy for the past hour. Encore mode is really fun and distinct from the main Mania campaign. Namely, because you can "hold" an extra character and switch back and forth at will, it allows you to explore the levels more thoroughly and utilize each character's powers to reveal hidden stuff.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
also, Xbox one X enhanced, right?

Finally Sonic will have the cleanest uncompressed pixels!

Joking aside, I have not picked up the regular one yet, but do they plan on updating that into Plus or does this have to be purchased separately?

Last edited:

Spukc

I just opened the 25 euro switch version.

Physical cart
Holographic sleeve
Art book
Reversible megadrive cover
Small color print warranty booklet.

Now lets go to my 60 euro god of war copy.

Plastic frisbee

That tripple A eh?

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I just opened the 25 euro switch version.

Physical cart
Holographic sleeve
Art book
Reversible megadrive cover
Small color print warranty booklet.

Now lets go to my 60 euro god of war copy.

Plastic frisbee

That tripple A eh?

I got my Xbox copy in the mail yesterday. That was the first thing I noticed. The packaging is very well put together for something I paid a little over $20 for.

cireza

Banned
New Emerald stages are pretty challenging.

I played the game up to Oil Ocean. First act of Mirage Saloon was new, otherwise the rest was the same, with more enemies.

The new palettes swaps are not varied enough : too many brownish and blue/purplish gradients. Too bad because they are not bad.

They refined the life system and it offers a pretty interesting twist to the formula. Some people won't like it because you don't get to choose who you are playing with.

New bonus stages (pinball) is pretty bad in my opinion. Not fun, not easy to navigate. You need to use it to get back characters that died.

There are also new stage transitions and Metal Sonic has a new boss fight. I still need to complete the game to see other changes.

Finally, I like both new characters. Mighty is invincible to most of the spikes and attacks, making him an easy character to use. Ray flies up and down, you need to find the good timing, this offers some nice possibilities. His ability seats between Tails flying and Knuckles hovering.

Last edited:

Spukc

protip don't let an intern make the fucking inner box art for the nintendo switch version.

pG4Wsex.jpg

yeah just stretch it to fit who the fuck cares right ?

Bch7tZL.jpg

HURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus Fucking Christ why did I just die 3 times? Am I rusty on Sonichu or is this game harder?

Top Bottom