• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Runners announced during fan-event [Sonic Team / smartphones]

Foffy

Banned
To be fair, we don't know if it's an endless runner yet... Though I don't see what else a game called Runners could be.

Either an endless runner of a mobile take on the Sonic Riders formula? How would a mobile Sonic racing game really captivate an audience? I could see Sega All Stars, but solely Sonic?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
We don't know anything about the game yet and you already came to the conclusion that it could obviously be successful on other hardware? Most mobile games these days are absolutely tailored to the smartphone environment and wouldn't make a lot of sense elsewhere.

PS Vita has all control options phones have, Wii U and 3DS only lack multi-touch, so yes, I come to the conclusion that it's highly likely the game could be successful on consoles / handhelds.

ShadiWulf

I'm interested in finding out more. SEGA has made quite a few good mobile games. Being Sonic Team's first mobile game, should be interesting.

Also doesn't mean it's the only Sonic game this year. That jazwarez sign leaked a while back said there was a Sonic console game coming in 2015. Although things could of easily changed since then, but I doubt the changes would be drastic as having no console game at all.

ZeroX03

Banned
Fuck iOS games or the shitty tie-in games. Just give Sumo Digital all the money to make Sonic Racing 3. All of it. Every cent Sega has.

ShadiWulf

i wonder if Sonic Runners has a chao garden. Iizuka did talk in a past Sonic Boom event about the possibility of making a chao game on mobile devices since he knew there was demand for the chao garden to return.

MrBadger

Saw this coming but I wonder what it will be like. They already have Sonic Dash, but they do have both Jump and Jump Fever, so maybe this will be like, Dash 2. Interesting that Sonic Team are doing it though. Why waste them on a Smartphone game?

Quoting myself from the rumor thread because I'm that kind of guy.

I was expecting anything after they called one Sonic Colours.

Silky

Banned
I think it's quite easy to see why SEGA/Sonic Team is doing this.
There isn't really a strong healthy youth/family/casual-centric home console on the market right now. At the moment, a big-budget Sonic game would most likely bomb on the PS4/Xbone and even on the WiiU (a console with a software ecosystem that is actually compatible with colorful platformers).
It makes a lot of sense that they'd head for the nearest machines with a huge profitable youth/family/casual market.
:p

Then they release it multiplatform? Believe it or not Sonic does really well on PC.

MrBadger

Either an endless runner of a mobile take on the Sonic Riders formula? How would a mobile Sonic racing game really captivate an audience? I could see Sega All Stars, but solely Sonic?

I'm pretty sure it's the Sonic brand that sells the Sonic Allstars racing games.

Nvzman

This is just a side project because Sonic Team is actually working on the PS4/XBO Sonic title, right?
yes, as a while ago there was some sort of chart/board detailing Sonic's toy plans and detailing that toys would be made for a 2015 PS4/One/Wii U Sonic game.
Here:
SonicPS4XboneWiiU2015.jpg

This is not the news i wanted to see. I mean sure yea its a new sonic game... but for mobile.. i hope this is not alluding to sonic's future.

ShadiWulf

i thought that image was confirmed to be false, i read that on sonic stadium.

You can't believe everything PR tells you. They aren't going to tell you the truth. So far everything on that sign has ended up being true. Probably the reason Sonic Boom the game isn't listed on the sign is because Jazwarez wasn't making the toys for that game. so they listed the game they are involved with instead.

Seeing the Sonic Team wasting its time on fucking phones is really sad.

Think of it this way-if the game turns out to be average/terrible on release (which, given it's mobile title status, might be sooner than we expect), at least you didn't have to fork over $30+ price to buy it!

Anyway, the Apotos style location looks interesting to say the least. Waiting to see how the gameplay is / turns out though.

NZerker12

I really hope this is just some side project and they are still working on the PS4/Xbone title.

If this, is a main title, then Sega are a bunch of brainless idiots.

It is kinda odd that Sonic Team wouldn't outsource this smartphone game like they did the rest of their recent ones, but I really don't think it means a whole lot. They've worked on a mobile title and full console Sonic game at the same time in the past before (original Sonic Jump and Shadow the Hedgehog). I know likening it to an occasion that produced Shadow the Hedgehog doesn't instill a lot of confidence, but I wouldn't say that game's problem was that it was understaffed...

Either way, worst case is that this is something to tide people over until Sonic Team's 25th anniversary game in 2016.

From the name, the image, and the fact that the image says "free Running!" I'm pretty sure this is just an endless runner game, maybe with multiple characters that do different stuff. Though I could be wrong, I mean they already have Dash, so yeah.

Rlan

yoooo is he wearing his Riders glasses

if this is something Riders related I'll all for it

I wouldn't be surprised. The three Riders games were all technically under Sonic Team in some form, but a smaller team (with outsourcing).

Looks like just a side project too me that could actually be fun. I'm pretty sure Sonic Team is developing their next mainline game since Lost World was finished, there's no need to be worried about that.

Also, I would love to see another portable exclusive by Dimps or something like that. I personally enjoyed all of the Advance and Rush games, except the Special Stage part of Advance 2.

Blueblur1

This is extremely disappointing news. But I under stand why they're making an iOS game. I will hold out hope that a console game is in development though.

WillyFive

All of this makes perfect sense, since it's the best place to find kids that would play it. Anyway, as long as it's a legit have and not a cheap runner, I'm up for it. Sega has shown with Crazy Taxi that they can make great iOS game.

Wut.
Sonic Generations was great, that team is not a shifty team.

If this is the part of Sonic Team that made Generations, sure.

sörine

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised. The three Riders games were all technically under Sonic Team in some form, but a smaller team (with outsourcing).
All the NGPC/GBA/DS/3DS games were also under Sonic Team even though Dimps made them. The Riders games specifically came from the ex-UGA staff who joined Sonic Team in the 2004 restructuring.

I thought running games were dumb but here I am having invested like 4 months into that goddamn Spider-man Unlimited running game.

If its done well and not shit, it could be relatively well received. Then maybe Sonic will take a break on consoles and move to smartphones for a while.

TimmiT

I appreciate you taking the alley-oop setup but seriously, is this really what the Sonic Generations team should be working on

like fuck it, give it to Dimps or something

Somehow I doubt that the entire team behind one of the bigger Sonic console games would be put behind a small mobile game.

But.. isn't there already a Sonic Infinite Runner Mobile game?

Not Only that, AFAIK Sonic Dash is one of the best of the freaking Genre!

Top Bottom