• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Runners Teaser Trailer

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Featuring all your favourites like Sonic the Fox, The the Echidna and Hedgehog the Guy.

MrBadger

Sonic Dash is actually the best handheld Sonic game since the DS.

which is more sad than anything else. GBA and DS got some great self-contained platformers (which did a great job contrasting the garbage on consoles at the time) and 3DS has just gotten cheap, lesser versions of what the consoles got, despite there being a clear audience on 3DS.

nkarafo

LOL, all they showed was some classic Genesis Sonic scenes and only 1 or 2 seconds of the new game (i suppose its from the new game).

I guess this shows how confident they are about it.

MrBadger

LOL, all they showed was some classic Genesis Sonic scenes and only 1 or 2 seconds of the new game (i suppose its from the new game).

I guess this shows how confident they are about it.

That's from Sonic 4. For some reason they're treating it like it actually is Sonic 4 by showing it with the classics

Seriously guys, stop with the "RIP Sonic" thing. SEGA has been releasing Sonic mobile games for a while now, and it's not even the first one Sonic Team does. This is just another one to chip some easy money while they work on the next big game who is, remember all of you, coming for Ps4/Xbox one EVEN with the reestructuration. They will, at very much, release it at PC first for testing the waters. Sonic is not dead AT ALL.

Stop this nonsense, it just makes you look uninformed and stupid.

Piccoro

...while they work on the next big game who is, remember all of you, coming for Ps4/Xbox one...

Stop this nonsense, it just makes you look uninformed and stupid.

So... do you have a source for that PS4/One game you mention?
Or you just drive by to call us names?...

Cross posting from Sonic Retro.

The trailer's cool in a "let's build hype using Sonic's retro legacy" kind of way but zero gameplay footage is underwhelming and a little disappointing. Even twenty seconds of one stage would have sufficed. Looks like the game's inspired by the classics and is 2D at least. Segabits have more information here and here and Sonic Stadium has more here. Both sites are getting their information from that Japanese interview between Famitsu and Iizuka. Quick summary from both sites:

*The game is a 2D action side-scroller
*The game's out at the end of February in Japan
*Colour powers and companions are mentioned which I'm presuming means Wisp powers
*Sonic is playable from the start; Tails and Knuckles are playable but have to be unlocked
*The game has one or two minute stages; is playable with one hand and has multi-branching paths
*Characters run forward automatically and player input determines jumping strength
*New music will be composed for the game regardless of Flying Battery in that trailer
*Eggman shows up as the end of level boss; the interview notes Sonic recoiling projectiles at him
*50 stages available at first; future stages added through potential DLC

The game is not an endless runner and will have self-contained though also rather short stages. Sounds like your standard low-budget mobile title to me. This can't be Sonic Team's big game for this year. Sounds too limited in scale. Kind of still excited for this but I need to see gameplay footage. Echoing everyone else here on the sentiment that we need to see more before we get excited. Also if the game's out this month we'll have gameplay footage very soon if not runthroughs of the entire game itself.

Sounds like Sonic Jungle Run, which is exactly what I was hoping for. Now let's see if they get the execution right.

So... do you have a source for that PS4/One game you mention?
Or you just drive by to call us names?...

I do have sources. Just those two should be enough for everyone to know what is coming next.

http://www.tssznews.com/2014/06/03/working-prototypes-of-next-sonic-allegedly-in-existence/

http://www.sonicstadium.org/2014/02/new-sonic-game-coming-2015-for-wii-u-ps4-xbox-one/

or this one, as you prefeer http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...eportedly-coming-to-xbox-one-and-ps4-in-2014/

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Sounds like Sonic Jungle Run, which is exactly what I was hoping for. Now let's see if they get the execution right.

Me too. Rayman Jungle Run was the best Sonic game since Sonic Rush. They're clearly going to nab level geometry from Lost World which is fine, and maybe some of that DLC should be the more fantastical Generations levels (Chemical Plant, Sky Sanctuary, Planet Wisp).

JMTHEFOX

Sonic Jump was awesome when it had defined levels to beat. Then they ruined it by re-tooling it as an "endless" score attack game.

Why do people like "endless" games? Don't you want a sense of progression?

I'm more of an endless runner person. At least I get some accomplishment with those, unless there's an energy system.

I'm extremely cautious about level based runners though. After playing Looney Toons Dash, I refuse to play any level based that has an energy system, background characters that just clear the way for me, repeated backgrounds and hardly any sense of accomplishment.

vall03

Too much negativity on this thread, but as many have pointed out already, if this game turns out be something like Rayman Jungle Run, I think it would perfectly fit Sonic and I'm fine with it in terms of gamepaly. My problem with Sonic Dash is that it felt like a Temple Run clone. But then again, we'll see how Sega implements Sonic Runners.

Me too. Rayman Jungle Run was the best Sonic game since Sonic Rush. They're clearly going to nab level geometry from Lost World which is fine, and maybe some of that DLC should be the more fantastical Generations levels (Chemical Plant, Sky Sanctuary, Planet Wisp).

Sound very good. My only concern is that the player's agency be just "jump". I think Rayman Jungle Run proves that this kind of game needs supplemetaries mechanics. Spindashing or simply "rolling" to gain momentum would be fine.

NZerker12

As long as the PS4/XBO game is still in development and is set to release, I don't mind. From that description It actually sounds alright.

Piccoro

As I thought, you only posted rumors, and a fake picture. This is the statement from Sega themselves about the PS4/One pic:
...The recent information coming out of Nuremburg Toy Fair was incorrect...
SMH.

Yeah I'm not so sure about a PS4/XBO game.

The most likely next announcement is Rio Olympics. But I do hope Nintendo and Sega try something new for once. Hell even a Camelot-developed Mario & Sonic Golf/Tennis would be FAR better. They also missed the chance to do a Mario & Sonic at the Brazil 2014 World Cup by Next Level Games. For SHAME!

As I thought, you only posted rumors, and a fake picture. This is the statement from Sega themselves about the PS4/One pic:

SMH.

Of course it was incorrect. It said it was coming 2014. But it wasn't, It's the 25'th anniversary game, probably. And about that... if you read the other source, an Xbox one developer pretty known in the Sonic community saw the game running. You can still think whateaver you want, but that pretty much confirms it to me.

SMH.

I'm not saying that particular picture is true, but you're taking an incredibly basic denial from a games company to heart? All too often with them something is false until the second they announce it.

Of course it was incorrect. It said it was coming 2014. But it wasn't, It's the 25'th anniversary game, probably. And about that... if you read the other source, an Xbox one developer pretty known in the Sonic community saw the game running. You can still think whateaver you want, but that pretty much confirms it to me.

Check again:

sonicboom-film.jpg

J@hranimo

Banned
SEGA is truly struggling if this is their next main Sonic game.

IF it is.

There was no footage, so I can't judge anything yet. Oh well! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MrBadger

I do actually think that this could be the generation where Sonic kicks the bucket, or at least gets regulated to iOS. They've squandered their chance to cash in on making a sequel to the Megadrive games and the new bad Sonic games aren't even selling well. Since 4, Colours and Generations happened, they can't turn heads by putting out a Sonic game that's just Sonic and completely void of lame gimmicks and friends. There was once a time when for every shitty console Sonic game, there would be a good Dimps handheld game, but Sega now have Dimps on low budget mediocre counterparts to console outings. I feel like this is the most backed into a corner Sonic has ever been, since even Sonic 06 sold well.

Check again:

Rise of Lyric and Shattered Crystal not being listed as well as that 'CG animated movie' thing are dead giveaways that this is fake.

Piccoro

I do actually think that this could be the generation where Sonic kicks the bucket, or at least gets regulated to iOS. They've squandered their chance to cash in on making a sequel to the Megadrive games and the new bad Sonic games aren't even selling well. Since 4, Colours and Generations happened, they can't turn heads by putting out a Sonic game that's just Sonic and completely void of lame gimmicks and friends. There was once a time when for every shitty console Sonic game, there would be a good Dimps handheld game, but Sega now have Dimps on low budget mediocre counterparts to console outings. I feel like this is the most backed into a corner Sonic has ever been, since even Sonic 06 sold well.
i-z6pJHXF-1050x10000.jpg

TimmiT

No; they could have started many different projects in that time. But with the constant shuffling that Sega has been under, it doesn't mean that all the projects will actually come out. It's a very common thing among developers, and I would imagine the same would be true for a company that is publicly undergoing a lot movement.

SEGA of America and the arcade division are going under a restructuring. It's unlikely that whatever Sonic Team's been cooking up for PS4/Xbox One has been cancelled. Same goes for any other SEGA Japan or Europe studio. Not sure about any American studios but the re-structuring there seems to mainly be on the publishing side of things.

SEGA of America and the arcade division are going under a restructuring. It's unlikely that whatever Sonic Team's been cooking up for PS4/Xbox One has been cancelled. Same goes for any other SEGA Japan or Europe studio. Not sure about any American studios but the re-structuring there seems to mainly be on the publishing side of things.

Echoing this. Sonic's future on the console front is secure. Sega stated they intend to "reinforce" the franchise meaning even more emphasis is going to be concentrated on the Sonic franchise moving forward. It's Sega's other franchises being published in the Western hemisphere that are dead. That has been happening for years though (so many games being released only in Japan and so few being localised) so that's not really that surprising. I'd say the 2015/16 Sonic game for Xbox One and PS4 to which working prototypes have been reported to exist is still coming from Sonic Team. As long as Sega exists Sonic will always be released on consoles. Sonic is a lifeline to the company and Sonic games still sell millions.

Sonic sells no way near the sales magnitude of his primetime but still sufficient numbers to green-light high-budget and high-concept Sonic games on consoles.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
R.I.P Sonic. Lost World was pretty decent imo so it's a shame it's going this way...the only person who can save Sonic might be in jail soon as well, there truly is no hope for the Blue Blur.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I am actually cautiously optimistic. Seems like the game has discrete, designed levels instead of randomly generated nonsense. Rayman Jungle Run did the same thing, and that game's great.

MrBadger

Ooh, well that's something to look forward to. The original non-flying battery trailer music sounded cool.

It seems like this is gonna really be Sonic Team's game for this year. Ah well. Hopefully the B team (or A team) are working on the 25th anniversary PS4/Xbone game.

It's still too early to see how many assets Sega are putting into this considering it looks like it reuses Lost World assets in the one screenshot we have. We might get something else but I'm willing to wait if we get Sonic Generations 2 for his 25th. Rushing Sonic Team is like telling a waiter to bring over your food faster but he's holding a shit load of plates so he just drops them everywhere and I don't know where I was going with that metaphor.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled - convincing us that Sonic was ever good.

Okay, now it's a Sonic thread

Top Bottom