• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Rush is significantly better than Sonic 4

Why? They're made by the same people, clearly a game released on consoles titled Sonic 4 had a lot more weight on it than a portable spin-off, Sonic Rush. Seriously, literally everything is better about it (Although it's not perfect by any means). The controls have actual momentum to them, it's easy to maneuver Sonic around without him feeling too heavy and he controls how you'd expect him to. While quite straight forward at first, the levels become much more interesting and difficult later, not "boost to win." The soundtrack is really unique and quite awesome (Although hearing Sonic screaming the while fucking time is annoying as hell). The levels are similar, although they share common tropes with the original games, they're actually unique in some way and aren't overly derivative. Also, there's no fucking momentum-stopping, useless team mechanics. Why did they include those in Episode 2?

I could go on. Sonic Rush isn't some masterpiece or anything but damn! How did Dimps (The company that traditionally makes 2D Sonic games) go from Rush to S4? It's not even like S4 just didn't hold up to the weight of the name attached to it, it's just... bad.

Turd-flavored candy-bar is significantly better than shit soaked spongecake. At least, that's how I read the topic.

Um, was Sonic 4 ever finished? I was going to try it out, but I didn't like them releasing only part of the game. Then, I completely lost interest.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I liked Rush a lot. The Naganuma soundtrack was definitely the best part about it though.

JordanKZ

Imo, Sonic Rush was the last truly great 2D Sonic game. They just nailed so much of it. Hideki Naganuma's soundtrack is nothing short of awesome, it had great level design and fun bosses (albeit a little repetitive) and even a 'friend' that was good (Blaze). It was so, so, so fast too.

Shame about the sequel... :(

Banned
You'll spend a lot less time determining what games are worse then Sonic 4 then which games are better.

Regiruler

Imo, Sonic Rush was the last truly great 2D Sonic game. They just nailed so much of it. Hideki Naganuma's soundtrack is nothing short of awesome, it had great level design and fun bosses (albeit a little repetitive) and even a 'friend' that was good (Blaze). It was so, so, so fast too.

Shame about the sequel... :(
Sequel was good. IDK what you played.

You could also say that every level in Ep I was unique in some way due to a certain gimmick that was present, though not every gimmick was good.

Also they brought back the team mechanics from Advance 3 (and Advance 3 was better than Rush).

But overall yeah, Rush is the stronger game. With the exception of one game (Advance 2), each new Sonic game by Dimps turns out worse than the previous one.

Regiruler

soundtrack wasn't as good and game was padded out with shitty minigames and resource collection.

sonic rush's physics are well suited for sonic rush. but not a traditional 2d sonic game.
I didn't have a problem with sailing. I never did perfect the sub though.
I believe (and I might be wrong here) every single boss was a 'chase' boss too...
There was only one. Two if you count the shmup bonus boss.

And condor was always on the same plane as you, so it hardly acts as a traditional chase boss anyway.

Monprr

Neo Member
I actually like the first Sonic Advance game. It had proper 2d Sonic physics and some decent level design. Aside from some annoying bottomless pits at the end, the levels had a good mixture of speed and platforming.

Then they release Advance 2 and it is level memorization and hold right to win. Dimps never really recovered from that. Sonic 4 (both episodes) is the worst sonic game they developed, and Sega should be embarrassed that they considered that turd a sequel to S3&K.

The Boat

Last Sonic game I played that I fully enjoyed. It's not classic Sonic by any means but it's pretty cool. Dat Naganuma soundtrack.

sonic rush's physics are well suited for sonic rush. but not a traditional 2d sonic game.

They suck because they force you to use the boost and don't reward you for actually using the level for momentum, effectively limiting to what you can do in the game.

AKA, there is only one way to play Sonic Rush and it makes for a very monotone experience.

Its not like the game would have suffered from a good engine.

XaosWolf

Love Sonic Rush. The soundtrack is bliss and was an awesome fun for time trials.
Even had one of the most acceptable Shitty Friend™ since Tails and Knuckles.

Sonic 4 was god awful. I think they said they were releasing it episodically so they could fix things as they went, but even if they did get it right by the end, the first episodes would still have been dogshit. =/

Edit: Except for the bosses! They were super dull. And it would have looked better as sprites.

Rush is OK. I think the later levels have some serious flaws in level design, and stuff like enemy rooms in a Sonic game is just wrong... but the sensation of speed and athleticism is fantastic.

Plus the music is super on point. No idea why Naganuma hasn't done Sonic since.

gelf

I don't like either of them really. Sonic 4 is like Sonic 2 remixed badly and Sonic Rush is gotta go fast the videogame. Sonic Advance 1 is the only Dimps game that feels close to being right. And even that is full of the sudden death pits, the only way Dimps seems to know how to add difficulty.

I thought both of the Sonic Rush games had excellent game play, the raccoon thing didn't bother me as it did to most in Rush Adventure. These games felt like a side scrolling Sonic Adventure to me, good fun.

Sonic 4 game play was garbage. It was easy, the jumping felt wrong, some of the levels were awful.

Xav

Sonic Pocket Adventure - Good

Sonic Advance - Good
Sonic Advance 2 - Good
Sonic Advance 3 - Very good

Sonic Rush - Awesome
Sonic Rush Adventure - Slightly less awesome
Sonic Colours 3DS - Good

Sonic Generations 3DS - Meh
Sonic Lost World - Meh
Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal - Fuck off

Much like Castlevania, everything was going well until the series showed up on 3DS. The lack of a good Castlevania and Sonic game on 3DS is what stops me from placing it above the DS.

As for Sonic 4, it's right up there with Sonic 2006 and Sonic Boom. Shockingly bad game to the point where I think it was a deliberately intended to be shit.

Zalman

Both Rush and Rush Adventure were cool games. Honestly, the main thing I dislike about Sonic 4 is the fact that it's called Sonic 4. It doesn't deserve that title. Had it been called Sonic Rush Returns or something like that I wouldve been cool with it.

Pietepiet

No idea why Naganuma hasn't done Sonic since.

He doesn't even work at SEGA anymore.

Also, I get the feeling Sonic 4 was started as a small (probably mobile?) Sonic game before it got blown up to be THE FOURTH IN THE SERIES for marketing purposes.

Dimps deserves way more credit than they get for keeping the Sonic franchise afloat while Sonic Team fucked around with stuff like Shadow and 06. Say what you want about Advance 2 or Rush, but they were the start of what would later become Modern Sonic, which is probably the best 3D Sonic we've seen ever. Dimps knew how to revitalize the franchise when Sonic Team was obviously tired of it, and I think that deserves more praise.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
The Sonic 4 hate is overblown. It's not a very good game, but it's far from some unplayable abomination.

And Dimps lost it with Rush Adventure. Their earlier Sonic games, even Advance 2 with its near-nonexistent level design, are fine if you're not dead set on having Sonic play like the Genesis games.

I think sonic rush adventure had better levels than in sonic rush ..but i loved both rush games.

they were just fun to play , and there was actual mecanics to help you across each level it felt like the older sonic games where knowing the best path was crucial to properly obtain a good time. Boosting as always possible but wasn't always the right solution.

I think the boss battles in sonic rush needed more work , but they were passable

In fairness, being freelance hasn't stopped him from contributing to recent Sega games (albeit under the skankfunk alias for contractual resons). I believe Yakuza 5 is the most recent, but there have been a decent amount. Granted, it's nothing more than one or two song contributions, I don't think he's done a full soundtrack for Sega since Rush. It'd be cool to see him write at least a track or two for a future Sonic game.

Pietepiet

In fairness, being freelance hasn't stopped him from contributing to recent Sega games (albeit under the skankfunk alias for contractual resons). I believe Yakuza 5 is the most recent, but there have been a decent amount. Granted, it's nothing more than one or two song contributions, I don't think he's done a full soundtrack for Sega since Rush. It'd be cool to see him write at least a track or two for a future Sonic game.

Yeah, for sure. I'd love to see him back on Sonic. Either that, or just have other people contract him. Hell, I want to do it for a future game.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
No shit. Most 2D Sonic games are better than 4. Even the Advance games are better. Sonic 4 was garbage. Rush and Rush Adventure are both fantastic by the way. As is Colours DS. I cant praise Dimps enough for these games. They came up with a unique and original Sonic formula and I think they nailed it. Super fun and exhilarating to play. Rush was also the first Sonic game that I found fun to replay for better ranks. Something that today I find very important in my Sonic games. It had great personality too. And there isn't a doubt in my mind that the Rush games have the best boss fights in the series. The Rush games are underappreciated gems.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

Also, I get the feeling Sonic 4 was started as a small (probably mobile?) Sonic game before it got blown up to be THE FOURTH IN THE SERIES for marketing purposes.

Dimps deserves way more credit than they get for keeping the Sonic franchise afloat while Sonic Team fucked around with stuff like Shadow and 06. Say what you want about Advance 2 or Rush, but they were the start of what would later become Modern Sonic, which is probably the best 3D Sonic we've seen ever. Dimps knew how to revitalize the franchise when Sonic Team was obviously tired of it, and I think that deserves more praise.
Absolutely. Dimps kept the series relevant in my eyes. They were pumping out fantastic games while Sonic Team were hell bent on destroying the series. It's only after Sonic 4 that Dimps became worse than Sonic Team. And even then Dimps never released anything anywhere near as bad as some of the shit Sonic Team did over the years.

ffdgh

I'd love some more sonic rush(blaze themes are almost always superior) or an continuation of the advance series.

<3 Chaos angel.

OnPoint

That's right, I forgot how much soundtrack love Rush gets. I didn't personally enjoy it that much. Never understood.

Advance 3 and Rush were the closest I ever came to really liking the Sonic games after S&K.

Seems weird after getting the formula close to right with those two, that they'd completely lose it.

Top Bottom