• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing announced! (Ryo revealed! Yay three Shenmue fans!)

Gagaman

btrboyev said:
what sega characters could they use that aren't sonic? I saw a samba di amigo..what else?
I take it you never played Super stars Tennis? Sega have tons of franchises to dig into for this, though my guess is they'll mainly stick to the same lot from the tennis game, though that did have Alex Kidd as a secret character, so I wouldn't be surprised if this had someone like Ristar thrown in for pure an service.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
65a4vp.jpg

xp0xfc.jpg

2dgu843.jpg

2nss9eb.jpg

16h4yua.jpg

zjattv.jpg

I'll hold off on getting hyped until I know which team is behind it but this has the potential to be very nice indeed. Screw the haters.

phalestine

aka iby.h
Well sega said it wasn't a huge surprise, so no one should be disappointed. and Besides, this could be fun. Old Classic Sega music with Fun racing can be really good if done right.

acidviper

Banned
Fuu said:
www.sega.com/sonicracing

I wish, haha. Loved that game.

But they're inside cars on this one. :(
Yeah fuck that why would sonic drive a car, when he runs faster than a car? Does Mario have a fucking pogo stick???

RedBoot

Gagaman said:
I take it you never played Super stars Tennis? Sega have tons of franchises to dig into for this, though my guess is they'll mainly stick to the same lot from the tennis game, though that did have Alex Kidd as a secret character, so I wouldn't be surprised if this had someone like Ristar thrown in for pure an service.

Yeah, this is what will make or break the game for me. I was hoping Superstars Tennis would give them an opportunity to pull out some older characters, but that didn't really happen. We got (an idiotic looking) Alex Kidd and the dwarf from Golden Axe. Meanwhile, we got two characters each from Space Channel, Nights, and Monkey Ball. If the character lineup is a little better, I think I'll have more interest in this game.

But, right now, we see Sonic, Tails, Eggman, Amy, Amigo and Aiai, all of whom were in Tennis. If this is just a copy and paste of Tennis's roster, it'll be disappointing.

And yeah, Sonic driving is pretty lame. If Beat or Gum from JSR make it in and aren't skating, it'll look equally silly.

Gagaman

:lol @ people questioning Sonic in a car. It's classic video game logic! Sonic running around the track while everyone else is in cars would just look odd, plus the others could just run him over (though I'm sure all the haters would love to do that). :lol

You can pretty much guarantee Sumo Digital is working on this, it's a no brainier: reusing character assets from Superstars Tennis, based around the Outrun 2 engine much like how Superstars tennis was based on Virtua Tennis 3..

RedBoot said:
And yeah, Sonic driving is pretty lame. If Beat or Gum from JSR make it in and aren't skating, it'll look equally silly.
They'd have to be pretty fucking fast skaters :lol

Jme

I hope Ryu Hazuki is in this one, avenging his fathers death right after he finishes this go kart race.

Taker666

Jetku said:
Why is this NOT Wii/DS exclusive?!

I can't see this selling anything on PS360...

not that I would want it to sell, but still..

It'll sell on 360/PS3 to a degree...but I would have thought they'd be better off spending the cash on blanket marketing for the Wii/DS games.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I actually want Sonic Kart , and the game look so much fun and cool from the screens...so I welcome this game .

S0L

SUMO DIGITAL
Usual cheerful Neogaf bunch :)

Yes we've listened to the SST feedback - and I'm sure you'll be a lot happier with the character roster. Once we can talk about it that is. Providing the office doesn't burn down, it should make a showing on the E3 floor.

Yes, it's us Sumo doing it BTW :p

---
S0L
---

Jme

S0L said:

Yes we've listened to the SST feedback - and I'm sure you'll be a lot happier with the character roster. Once we can talk about it that is. Providing the office doesn't burn down, it should make a showing on the E3 floor.

---
S0L
---

Day 1

handofg0d said:
I hope Ryu Hazuki is in this one, avenging his fathers death right after he finishes this go kart race.
Ryo doesn't use a kart, he jumps between trees breaking the other racers necks.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
S0L said:

---
S0L
---

day one then :D

Rlan

Also: This is exactly what Sega SHOULD have done, oh I don't know, 5 years ago when they made Sonic Riders. Sonic Riders was crap, far too complex (points only speed / flight / power could get to) to actually warrant decent multiplayer, and tried to make to too much NOT like a Kart racer.

Right now on XBox 360 and PS3 there is practically NO kart racer available, outside of Mad Tracks on XBLA and the upcoming TOW, again on XBLA. Hell I'm surprised Crash Bandicoot hasn't given that another go again.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Jetku said:

I can't see this selling anything on PS360...

not that I would want it to sell, but still..
I dunno, it could very well do better. Wii already has a great, high-profile kart racing game if people want one. Meanwhile, it's a completely untapped market on PS3/360.

And I don't think Sega Superstars is indicative of anything, it's no stretch to say that a kart racer has a lot more appeal than tennis to most gamers.
hand0fgod said:
Would also accept his motorcycle.
Heh, he could ride a Super Hang-On machine. Two franchises with one stone!

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
S0L said:

---
S0L
---
Day 1, then. Quick question, will you guys sneak in the courses from Daytona USA, Daytona USA 2 and/or Sega Super GT in there? I'd pay for DLC...

Screw you, Sega. This should have been Sega Allstar Racing. You know, a compilation of Outrun, Daytona, Super GT and Sega Rally.

S0L

SUMO DIGITAL
But... it is on Wii and DS too...?

At least we're working on them - and it's on the Press Release. Otherwise I can send those guys home now I suppose :p

---
S0L
---

RedBoot

Gagaman said:
They'd have to be pretty fucking fast skaters :lol

Suspension of disbelief. :D Still, if I had my way, Sonic, Beat, and the Space Harrier guy would all be there, all on their feet (well, the Harrier guy would float a little too).

S0L said:

Sounds good then. Sorry if it was a bit harsh, but the roster really was the reason I eventually decided to pass on SST. I'm a Sega fan from the SMS/Genesis days, and the more modern focused roster was disappointing. I'll hope for the best on this one.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
brendanrfoley said:
Screw you, Sega. This should have been Sega Allstar Racing. You know, a compilation of Outrun, Daytona, Super GT and Sega Rally.
Wait for the JAMMA show in mid-September. :D

dyls

Developed for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system, PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system, the home video game system, Wii™ and the Nintendo DS™ system, Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing will speed into stores in early 2010.

Dreamcast 2 confirmed. What other console could possibly be referred to as the home video game system?

Jetku said:

Can you even imagine how negative the posts in the this thread would be if it were? It's at least slightly cordial in here—why ruin it?

Tiktaalik

I'm still hoping for a Yakuza announcement, but this is great. Mario Kart has had a monopoly on cart racing games for too long.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
S0L , I want my Ristar please :)

brendanrfoley said:

you don't want new games but just ports ? ok

Gagaman

twinturbo2 said:
Day 1, then. Quick question, will you guys sneak in the courses from Daytona USA, Daytona USA 2 and/or Sega Super GT in there? I'd pay for DLC...
777 Speedway is a must, even if they can't directly mention Daytona USA in the game due to the license of that name. Perfect for Outrun 2 like drifting too.

This will have Outrun 2 like drifting right? One of my favourite gaming experiences in years is the drifting in that game. Either way glad to hear Sumo is on the job: if anyone knows Sega fan service it's these guys. The Virtua Cop stage in the Tennis game had me in stitches.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
brendanrfoley said:

what he said.

MASSIVE DISAPPOINTMENT

i read the title as two separate games; "sonic", and "sega all-stars racing". sega all-stars racing sounded like the mythical collection of sega's classic arcade racers.

damn it!

EDIT: actually looks decent at least

S0L said:

---
S0L
---

Excellent, based upon Outrun engine or your own?

They can do so many fun and original things with the characters (cartoon versions Washington and G in and ice cream van (they dont need to swear at all), Ryo with the motorcycle or the port vehicle, as some people have comment in this thread) that they are going to fail as they did with SST.

Just going really nuts with the characters could do this game much more better. But I know from now they are going to put nearly all of the fucking sonic cast, AiAi, Amigo and Ulala. Just look at the sreens. This smells like a fucking big FAIL.

They are going to say "look, you will have 30 characters!....
and 28 of them will be sonic's shity friends!"

BitchTits

Alex Kidd on his little peddle helicopter or no sale.
And Wonderboy, and Psycho Fox

(Actually looks nice though from the screens).

Firestorm

I convinced my parents to let my brother buy a Game Gear for Sonic Drift because I saw it once in a store and then never saw it again :(
Maybe I will buy this to make up for that... when it hits bargain bins.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Damn, too bad it is SEGA "All-stars," because I want playable
-Orta (Panzer Dragoon Orta)
-Gum and Cube (Jet Grind Radio and JSRF)
-Alicia and Selvaria (Valkyria Chronicles)
-Nei (Phantasy Star 2)
-Vyse and Fina (Skies of Arcadia)
-Sakura, Iris, and Maria (Sakura Taisen 1)
-Gemini (Sakura Taisen 5)
-Erica and Hanibi (Sakura Taisen 3)

Top Bottom