• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing announced! (Ryo revealed! Yay three Shenmue fans!)

paranoidjoe said:
Will this be cheaper on ps3 since it isnt getting an extra character.I still wished the added Ratchet though.

In some places and certain retailers in Europe, the Xbox 360 version just costs a little bit more. Both versions are the same price here in North America though, and if you own both systems (like moi), you'd be extremely stupid to buy the one that got short-changed.

Pseudo Edit: Blockbuster is yet another retailer that confirms exactly 20 characters and 24 race tracks-

"Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing is a classically styled kart racing game, with zippy vehicles, fantasy-themed courses, and over-the-top power-ups. Players choose to race as a favorite Sega game character, from a roster of 20 that includes Sonic, Tails, and Dr. Eggman, as well as Ai Ai and his monkey-balled companions, and the maracas-shaking Amigo from the Dreamcast's hit rhythm game. In classic kart-racing form, each character drives a vehicle with different attributes -- such as acceleration, handling, and top-speed -- allowing players to choose a ride that complements their driving style or to pick a character best suited for the challenges of a particular course. The game features two dozen different tracks, set in medieval castles, lush rain forests, and busy city streets, all stocked with hazards to avoid, bonuses to collect, and shortcuts to discover. Up to four players can compete in a split-screen mode, and as many as eight can race together through an online connection. ~ T.J. Deci, All Game Guide"

Remember folks, the German ad that said 27 tracks actually incorporated the 3 Battle Mode tracks.

Ryo Hazuki has to be unlocked:

24ozgh1.jpg

12913_notAngry.jpg

NinMicroSega said:

http://i50.tinypic.com/24ozgh1.jpg[img]

[img]http://www.studentsoftheworld.info/sites/sport/img/12913_notAngry.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
Hey at least day 1 the online races won't all be 100% Ryo players!

*edit* WOAH WOAH WOAH hold on son, you mean Ryu himself has to be unlocked by pre order or some sort of code?

FUCK THAT SHIT

Peff

Now that's something atrocious to pick as a pre-order bonus and not the usual palette swaps :-/ I hope he'll be downloadable later on.

NinMicroSega said:
New video from Yahoo! Games:

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/...onic-and-sega-all-stars-racing-videos/1386146

Includes annoying people who have no idea who the characters are.

WAH, SUPER HORN!

NinMicroSega said:

24ozgh1.jpg

Hilarious, Sega and Sumo hype Ryo up to huge levels and then sell him off to Game. And people still think pre-order bonuses are harmless?

If I see a single advert stating that Ulala is a special unlock from some specific retailer as well, you can kiss goodbye to my purchase Sumo.

Alpha_eX

Ryo will be locked on the disc. Must be a code to unlock him or something, they can't advertise that if it's downloadable as many people still don't have access to the internet to download new characters.

Also, if he's not on the disc then he can't be used online. He's on the disc, don't worry.

Alpha_eX said:
Ryo will be locked on the disc. Must be a code to unlock him or something, they can't advertise that if it's downloadable as many people still don't have access to the internet to download new characters.

Also, if he's not on the disc then he can't be used online. He's on the disc, don't worry.

Make of this what you will, but Google says that "Personaje Ryo descargable" translates to "Ryo downloadable character". Sounds like a downloadable unlock code to me.

What seems odd is that on the Spanish Game website it only mentions this in the Xbox 360 general section and not the PS3, Wii or DS, this couldn't be only for the 360 version..... could it?

http://www.game.es/X360/default.aspx

Vgamer

Peff said:
Now that's something atrocious to pick as a pre-order bonus and not the usual palette swaps :-/ I hope he'll be downloadable later on.

Argh this better not be true as I cant afford to buy the game right away so wont be able to preorder it.

Rlan

I'm going to go ahead and assume you can unlock Ryo in the game, but the code allows for you to get him instantly.

The Awkward Wizard said:
Goddammit. NiGHTS is one of my favorite Sega characters! Character roster is still pretty sweet though.

Well, we've known for quite a while that he wasn't going to be playable. It was just what his actual presence was going to be that we were clueless about.

NinMicroSega said:
Well, we've known for quite a while that he wasn't going to be playable. It was just what his actual presence was going to be that we were clueless about.

Oh, I thought there was still a chance he could be a racer. Now I feel better. Still bad....but better.

Reknoc said:
Did those weirdo's that said they were gonna burn all their NiGHTS' merch if he made it in specify how "in" he had to make it?

Yes- NiGHTS needed to be a playable character in the retail copy of the game (meaning before DLC), which he didn't. Nothing is getting burned except somebody's pair of AWESOMEsocks...

Rlan said:
I'm going to go ahead and assume you can unlock Ryo in the game, but the code allows for you to get him instantly.

That would make sense. I highly doubt that Sumo would have shown off Ryo so early, and made a whole trailer for him, only to withhold him from a lot of people. If they planned on making him a pre-order exclusive/paid DLC, it would make sense for them to not announce his presence until shortly before the game is due (ie. now), and state that he's a bonus at the same time.

Not to mention, if Ryo isn't available on the disc, and required downloading, that would mean that he wouldn't be in the Wii version, as I think there's no way S&SASR is going to have DLC on the Wii (very few games have it, as it's a massive hassle for developers, and the amount of people who actually take advantage of DLC on the Wii is miniscule). I think telling Wii owners that they won't be getting Ryo would be same as telling a fair amount of them that they might as well not bother buying the game at all. I can honestly see people buying this just for Ryo. And there's no way they could include Ryo on the disc for Wii, but not 360 (or PS3).

Nakasan

NinMicroSega said:
NiGHTS is this game's Lakitu:

NiGHTS-1.png

I'm actually pretty happy with this inclusion.

Its very very appropriate in my opinion. Bravo Sumo! Finding an actual place for NiGHTS within the game design that is in no way tacked on.

I sympathise with people wanting a playable NiGHTS, as that's what I wanted too, but this is mint!

Yey :)

Edit: Actually, I'll go further than that, I'd much rather this type of inclusion than DLC. Way more people will see him this way! Epic turn around of furtunes!! NiGHTS will be the most present character in the game!! No matter who you pick, you're gonna damn well see NiGHTS!!! :-D

FUCK YEAH!

DiGi Valentine and TRiPPY, co-admins of the NiGHTS into Dreams website confirmed that NiGHTS wasn't in the game at all, not even a cameo. NiGHTS didn't take the OutRun guy's career until the campaign reached corporate, it seems:

"Ok. It leaked. The bloody cameo leaked and now there's another sh!t storm i've got to swim through e_e

First and foremost, i knew about this cameo. The same people who told me NiGHTS was not in ASR period came back and said NiGHTS has turned up as the Flagman. It's why at various places i posted *waves a flag* in some of my comments. The Dont Forget NiGHTS facebook group had a news post by me where i state 'for future reference - *waves a flag*. I knew about this.

When did this cameo come in to place? Being honest, i'm not too sure. What i do know is nothing involving NiGHTS was present in ASR and then during this campaign he turned up. The game was very far along in development so NiGHTS as flagman could not have been planned from the start and was introduced during end of production.

Did we cause the cameo? Yes, i believe we did.

Why is NiGHTS the flagman and not DLC (which is what we've been asking for)?
My only guess is this is a 'plan B' perhaps. DLC is an expensive thing, perhaps SEGA were not seeing enough support for NiGHTS and therefore someone somewhere figured that should DLC not happen at least give these fans something. So, i think the cameo is a way of SUMO and/or SEGA showing us they heard us and didn't want to disregard us entirely but DLC might not be possible.

Does that mean DLC is not going to happen? No, it doesn't mean that. Ryuko (Kori) said exactly what i was thinking when i first found out about the cameo. NiGHTS now has a character model. The way i see it, some of the work for a DLC has now been done. Should we continue to show support for DLC then NiGHTS has already some of the work made for him.

In closing, i feared fans would take this the wrong way and it seems with some of you i was right in thinking thus.
So i'm making this topic to calm you down, show you the positives of this news and how we move forward from here in regards to DLC.

And once again, the fact that this campaign had some direct influence into NiGHTS being in the game is something you should appreciate because never before has this fanbase been listened to. Never.
"

and

"DiGi said pretty much everything that you need to know, but I'd like to just add that NiGHTS as the flag man (or sexy flag waving babe as Kori put it lol) makes me really happy. Sure it's not DLC, but you know what? If anything this has proven that maybe SEGA and SUMO do listen to us. This should give us the fire to make sure NiGHTS has demand for DLC even more. A lot of you guys out there have the belief that big companies don't listen to us little guys, especialy after what happened with JoD and us the first time around... but think about this for a second.

NiGHTS was -NOT- in and then after this community shoved their support for NiGHTS he was put into the game as Flagman. Doesn't that make you bloody proud? I know it makes me proud. Whether or not we directly caused this is only something SEGA can confirm, so I keep my faith that somehow we did. You should too.

If NiGHTS' model has been made there's an even bigger chance DLC for him could happen. All the guff about it 'ruining the chances of DLC' are utter rubbish. It doesn't take much to do a character swap does it? Plus as a few people have stated, there ARE 2 NiGHTS in both NiD and JoD So eitherway I'm sure they could fix that.

Guys this is the biggest proof that fighting for what you believe in can sometimes work.

I have this horrible urge to draw sexyflagbabe!NiGHTS now >v>

I'm happy :3 I think we just saved NiGHTS...
"

More about it can be read in those forums.

cjelly said:
I love when people pretend they're spokespeople for companies.

They were never pretending to be spokespersons for SEGA. They are spokespeople for the NiGHTS fanbase and are in good terms with inside sources at Sega of Europe. Just had to clarify that for you.

Kind of cool, but since I'm not a NiGHTS fan (haven't actually played any of them), I'd rather have seen Flagman from OutRun, complete with his awesome dancing if you don't move from the starting line. Oh well, I guess NiGHTS fans deserve this more, seeing as he's not currently playable.

_dementia said:
for real.

Confirmation you're puchasing this? I thought you weren't going to buy it unless they included your namesake or something.
No, I was annoyed about NiGHTS being left out specifically, and generally about the Saturn getting the snub. I knew Segata Sanshiro was definitely not going to be in it, because the actor doesn't toss his likeness out for cheap.

As long as it doesn't turn out to be poop, I'll be buying it now.

He wanted Saturn representation in some form (if I recall correctly, you didn't specify playable). And since being a race official is more important than being a driver, and the fact you see such official in every race, you have the ultimate representation. That's why most of the NiGHTS fans seem content with this. Although they are still opting for DLC, but at this rate it seems like it may not happen (DLC in general, I mean).

EDIT: Wow, it's whenever I am in the middle of typing something up that people decide to post. What the fuck...

NinMicroSega said:
He wanted Saturn representation in some form (if I recall correctly, you didn't specify playable). And since being a race official is more important than being a driver, and the fact you see such official in every race, you have the ultimate representation. That's why most of the NiGHTS fans seem content with this. Although they are still opting for DLC, but at this rate it seems like it may not happen (DLC in general, I mean).

EDIT: Wow, it's whenever I am in the middle of typing something up that people decide to post. What the fuck...
Yeah, I should clarify... this is literally the only non-playable cameo I would have been happy with for NiGHTS. If he was just floating at the side of one track or something I'd still be annoyed.

Nakasan

Segata Sanshiro said:
Yeah, I should clarify... this is literally the only non-playable cameo I would have been happy with for NiGHTS. If he was just floating at the side of one track or something I'd still be annoyed.

Totally agree. I was actually thinking they were gonna have his head as a building top or something like in SA and say "there ya go, NiGHTS!"

But no, a well thought out cameo. Would love to know who to personally thank for getting this in (aside from us lot who sent in emails in the campaign that is!) since it would appear from DiGi's comments that it was very much a late desicion outside of the original game design.

S0L

SUMO DIGITAL
Azure Phoenix said:
Hilarious, Sega and Sumo hype Ryo up to huge levels and then sell him off to Game. And people still think pre-order bonuses are harmless?

If I see a single advert stating that Ulala is a special unlock from some specific retailer as well, you can kiss goodbye to my purchase Sumo.

Seems my usual trusty band of reporters didn't put my quote on SSMB here :)

"Don't panic - you don't have to download Ryo - or do you? Maybe there is more than one Ryo :p"

There - and that's all you're getting for now :p

---
S0L
---

Gasp! I forgot about that! But I was going to post it. It's just that it would have resulted in me doing a double-posting which is a big no-no on NeoGAF for Juniors. It would have resulted in me being perma-banneded, but then who would keep you guys up to date? ;)

Did SST run at 30fps or 60fps? Some people complained about it, but I had no problems.

Anyway, more than one Ryo? I wonder if this could mean multiple vehicles for each character, a possibility that was brought up in a magazine's (I forget which one, but I believe it was posted a few pages back) explanation of the OutRun miles/trading system.

Or maybe alternate costumes/skins?

Or maybe they managed to get Nozomi to ride on the back of Ryo as an alternate skin perhaps? I don't know; maybe just extremely wishful thinking there.....

People have pointed out that Ryo doesn't have alternate clothing in either of his games (except taking off his jacket). Maybe we're getting his Saturn look?

wishful thinking yet again

Vgamer

Wow that really is a great cameo for Nights! Great work by SEGA getting him in there and in a spot where he will be noticed and not just some statue or something!

Top Bottom