• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing announced! (Ryo revealed! Yay three Shenmue fans!)

ShadiWulf

brain_stew said:
People really shouldn't have been expecting anything else tbh.

Now, when's it going up on Steam!?

Well.

Steam says Feb 16th for Aliens VS Predator under Coming Soon for SEGA... which is the same day as it's retail release... so we can probably expect

23rd for the US
26th for the UK

unless STEAM doesn't separate by regions, then you could probably also expect 23rd for the UK

S1kkZ

wow, the framerate is a disaster. constant slowdowns, its a mess. if the final build has the same issues, i will cancel my pre order.

GoDLiKe

S1kkZ said:
wow, the framerate is a disaster. constant slowdowns, its a mess. if the final build has the same issues, i will cancel my pre order.
Ok, but what about the game itself, besides the framerate??

The game looks really nice despite the frame rate. It's not the slide-show S11kz seemed to experience but it's not solid I guess.

You can choose either Banjo or Sonic to play on the Lost Palace track single player. There is also a multi-player mode split screen. The demo only allows for 2 player splitscreen but the final shows you can have 4player split screen. I think that's pretty neat.

The driving seems solid enough. It's not quite outrun but it still seems pretty fun to drift around. It definitely focuses a lot on drifting and precise control. You can't just slam your car around on walls and expect to win. I think we might have a decent game here. It's not perfection, but it's pretty good never the less.

PJX

Subliminal said:
Chill it dude or you'll find your residency here cut short..

in other words

stop being a dick. people dont like dicks.

Then about 95% of Gaf should be banned.

played it twice with sonic and once with Banjo, there was too much last minute comebacks happening...
I like it so far though based on what the rest of the game could be. I would perfer the action to be a bit slower. (don't judge me)

S1kkZ said:
wow, the framerate is a disaster. constant slowdowns, its a mess.
xfncc1.jpg

Unbelievable.

HUELEN10

I've played 5 races with Sonic, and 3 with Banjo, and... damn.

The framerate is "passable" as in it's slightly better than Modnation Racers. The bad part, was the controls. Why are you making me hold down both triggers at the same time?!?!?! I mean, I knew it was like Outrun with holding the drift, and that is an apt description, but it really cramps my hands. I was gonna buy this day 1, now Im not so sure. Since the Demo has no options, what will the final controls be like? If you are gonna keep making me hold the damn left drigger and/or bumper while accelerating by holding the right one, at least give me the option to use "A" for that purpose, kinda like in Modnation Racers. Tht simple option of having your drift mapped to a face button would make a huge, HUGE difference. Seriously though, I am not liking the controls one bit.

Can't wait until the PS3 demo is out though.

Seriously Sumo, if you don't do Outrun controls, PLEASE let me map the drift to a face button, please!

Hopefully button remaps will be in the final game for people who prefer facebutton acceleration. Why not give it a shot with the right bumper instead if the trigger is giving you grief. It might be easier on the finger.

HUELEN10

Upsidedown Fuji said:
Hopefully button remaps will be in the final game for people who prefer facebutton acceleration. Why not give it a shot with the right bumper instead if the trigger is giving you grief. It might be easier on the finger.
Acceleration isn't the problem, and I tried it all. The problem is the drift. If they are gonna make me hold the drift, then I want to accelerate with RT/B, and drift with a face button. Controls, as they are in this demo, are really cramping my style. I really hope options will be in the final game.

Modnation beta framerate was horrendous, and thats the main thing people want to see radically improved for the final product. To compare a demo of a game due out this month to a beta...is bad news :lol

HUELEN10 said:
Acceleration isn't the problem, and I tried it all. The problem is the drift. If they are gonna make me hold the drift, then I want to accelerate with RT/B, and drift with a face button. Controls, as they are in this demo, are really cramping my style. I really hope options will be in the final game.

Ok, I see what you mean. Yeah, it could be troublesome if you're expecting outrun's well mapped driving scheme. I would have figured just tapping brake or something to inititate a drift would work, but you have to hold a trigger/bumper down to keep the drift going. Holding the trigger could be annoying. I adapted but many probably will be stuck where you are. That's a shame.

And to all those who are scared of the frame rate, play it for yourself first. The download is open for all paying members of live so there's no excuse to download it unless your isp bandwidth quotas you for each month.

S0L

SUMO DIGITAL
Framerate in the demo isn't final - you try doing a demo as you're also trying to finish the game :p

And for those with the weak fingers, yes there are more choices of control in the final game. If you can't hold both triggers without pain though, how the hell do you play other games?

Moan, moan, moan. Typical NeoGAF :p

---
S0L
---

HUELEN10

S0L said:
Framerate in the demo isn't final - you try doing a demo as you're also trying to finish the game :p

And for those with the weak fingers, yes there are more choices of control in the final game. If you can't hold both triggers without pain though, how the hell do you play other games?

Moan, moan, moan. Typical NeoGAF :p

---
S0L
---
Simple, I use control options that don't cramp up my hands, and if there are none, I don't play the game (carpal tunnel sucks). Seriously, this is the first game that I can think of where you pretty much need to constantly be holding both at once, and it doesn't help that you are also moving the stick with precision, so cramping up is indeed possible. Glad to hear there are more options though. Faith restored. :D

Well get used to repeating that mantra over the internet. Demos are what people base their purchasing decisions on. Good to hear its not final, and even then PS3 was the lead platform I believe so will wait to choose between the PS3 or Wii versions (that fucking bear means the other platform isnt even a choice!)

SecretBonusPoint said:
Well get used to repeating that mantra over the internet. Demos are what people base their purchasing decisions on. Good to hear its not final, and even then PS3 was the lead platform I believe so will wait to choose between the PS3 or Wii versions (that fucking bear means the other platform isnt even a choice!)
But what happens if the 360 version gets DLC for Ristar, TJ&E and Vectorman?

lol

I just finished in 2nd with Sonic. It really takes some work to hold the 1st spot. I keep loosing it just on that last turn with all the bonus items....

I can totally tell this game got the loving treatment in the art department unlike Superstars Tennis. Everything just seems to work together even though all the characters are from different games. The one playable track is also pretty well detailed. The only thing I wish wasn't in the game was the obnoxious announcer. I hope we can either unlock new announcers like Ulala or Prof. K or turn them off all together.

I will be buying this day one but I won't be going nuts over it.

Kentonio

Neo Member
SecretBonusPoint said:

Yeah it'd suck to have extra characters to play with, eh? ;)

HUELEN10

Kentonio said:
To some, yes it would. To some, the fewer non-sega characters, the better. I honestly don't know how to feel about it TBH.

Kentonio said:

I associate that Bear's face with "games I don't want to be playing". Its already a bizarre offset of Ryo Hazuki love cancelling out Billy Hatcher hatred, the bear would tip the balance into hell.

Kentonio

Neo Member
HUELEN10 said:
To some, yes it would. To some, the fewer non-sega characters, the better. I honestly don't know how to feel about it TBH.

Sorry but thats simply daft. If you dont like a character then dont race with it, but wanting less content in a game like this doesnt make sense. It'd not like we've added a character thats completely out of place in the setting.

HUELEN10

Kentonio said:
Sorry but thats simply daft. If you dont like a character then dont race with it, but wanting less content in a game like this doesnt make sense. It'd not like we've added a character thats completely out of place in the setting.
Umm... I didn't race with Banjo at first, but I still got Jiggies raining down upon me. Also, Banjo is very out of place in this instance. I am personally not complaining mind you, but you have to admit that he doesn't truly belong. Sometimes, for some people, less content means the end product is purer. I am speaking in general, that is not my personal opinion on the matter.

I personally have no beef with Banjo. Scratch that, I have one beef with him, just one...

Why is he faster than Sonic?

Don't believe me? Look under "speed" in the character stats. Other than that though, I don't mind guests at all. In fact, the Avacar looks awesome!

S0L

SUMO DIGITAL
HUELEN10 said:
I personally have no beef with Banjo. Scratch that, I have one beef with him, just one...

Why is he faster than Sonic?

Only did that to wind you all up :)

He does have a higher top speed, but takes ages to get to it. Sonic on the other hand has much faster acceleration - and a much faster boost speed. Car tops out a little lower, but this is done for gameplay reasons. Mostly as otherwise everyone would only ever play as Sonic. You can't have one character who is so much better than everyone else after all.

We'd only get complaints... Oh wait... :p

---
S0L
---

This demo made the game go from I'll cop it to I'm probably Double Dipping for 360Wii so my little cousins can have a version for themselves and I'll have the 360 version for me to play with.

The controls are nice and didn't take me any time at all to get right in and some have fun. The balance that everybody was afraid of is nice and there. And that's not even a real fucking issue. The sound was on point as well. I loved the announcer because he kept the energy up and made the race even more enjoyable. Now that I think about it some fun DLC would be the VF5R announcers doing the races. Talking all monotone about Billy Hatcher riding a giant ass egg seems really hilarious in my head right now.

In the end though this game will come down to whether you can control your vehicle, knowing the Yes's and No's of drifting and correct item management. Which you'd think in a frantic environment would be difficult but it isn't at all and I'm loving that. So I can't wait for this to drop.

P.S.

If one of my fellow GAFers could help a brother out and let me know how to do the Boost Start I'd really appreciate that.

And S0L if you could explain the trick system to me I'd appreciate that. Cause I'm really hoping that there's more to it and tricks get a bit more wild to watch.

Randy

Can't wait for the PS3 demo. I like the artstyle in the videos and am dying to play a good cartoony kartgame again. After Crash Team Racing, it's just one big black hole when it comes down to good kartgames. Mario Kart DD wasn't that fun, neither was Mario Kart Wii. Hopefully this one lives up to my expectations.

Wizpig

Dr Zhivago said:
Is this true?
Is the DS version 60 FPS?

Asking because there are, actually, 60 FPS games for the DS... so yeah.

PC/DS 60 FPS
Wii/360/Ps3 (unstable) 30?

Too bad I can't/don't want to play this on PC.

Randy said:
Can't wait for the PS3 demo. I like the artstyle in the videos and am dying to play a good cartoony kartgame again. After Crash Team Racing, it's just one big black hole when it comes down to good kartgames. Mario Kart DD wasn't that fun, neither was Mario Kart Wii. Hopefully this one lives up to my expectations.
Mario Kart DS / Diddy Kong Racing DS

The demo was fun. I wasn't bothered by any framerate issues. I still need to get used to the drifting controls, though. It has been a while since I've played a cart racing game. Overall I think it will be a day 1 purchase for me.

Grah, I can't play for another couple of hours.

There's also a S&SASR Premium Theme; I've seen an image of the friends list, and it looks colourful and pretty. I might get it.

Sounds like nobody has found a way to turn off the announcer though. I really hope you can do that in the final game. Not only can I see him getting annoying, but he'll completely get in the way of what looks to be an amazing soundtrack.

Will the full game include a language selection option?
I would love to play with the so arcade english voices without having to configure the console at the dashboard.

OK, all of the tracks have been confirmed, and there are no more franchises represented, other than the ones we already knew about. Which means out of Sega's huge history, there are only a measly six that are represented.

Sure, *most* of the tracks within each franchises have different themes, but that actually makes it seem even worse, as since development time went into making each track completely different, why not base them on different franchises?

Sega Superstars Tennis had 10 courts, which represented 9 different franchises, including ones that had no playable characters. Sonic the Hedgehog was the only franchise with 2 courts. So only 6 franchises being represented here is a spectacular disappointment. I certainly hope that there's at least music from other franchises. One of the main reason's I've been so hyped for this game is the sheer amount of fanservice I was expecting, especially from the tracks. And considering it was Sega Superstars Tennis which gave me such high hopes, I don't think my expectations were too unreasonable. I didn't expect too much more, as the franchises that do have tracks are among Sega's most iconic; just another three or four franchises represented (even if there was just one track each) would probably have been enough.

If we do get DLC tracks, I hope that we get several, and they're based on different franchises. Even if I enjoy the game (downloading the demo now), I doubt I'll be prepared to pay extra for more of these six.

Oh, and still just Sonic Heroes for stage rep? And not only that, but of the nine Sonic tracks, there are only three different level themes?

Sorry to be such a negative nancy; I'm not going to spout crap like: "I'm not buying it anymore because of this", as I'll play the demo and if the gameplay is solid, I'll still get it. But I have to admit that the track list has dampened by enthusiasm considerably. I'm an absolute sucker for franchise fanservice, and as a result, S&SASR has been my most anticipated game for months now. This just feels like a kick in the gut, is all. I don't think I would have mided so much had we known about this a long time ago. But considering how many different franchises have characters, I got my hopes up for tracks. Maybe Sumo/Sega should have revealed tracks before they revealed characters, or just include something like: "race on tracks based on six different Sega franchises" in their early marketing.

Whats the matter, are you not one of the dozen Billy Hatcher fans furiously anticipating the All Stars showcase treatment the "series" has always so obviously deserved?

OMG Aero

I just played the demo a few times and the frame rate is all over the place when drifting around corners and when multiple characters are using items.
Speaking of which, it seems to me that there are, like, 10 different variations of the green shell. Also how do you actually use a character's special move? Is it like the blue shell item in that you only get it in last place or do you have to pick up something on the track to get it?

Top Bottom