• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) Relisted Digitally on Xbox

I don't think this has anything to do with reviews, only number of copies sold.
Despite its issues, the game was a lot of fun.
True, but I feel like Sega could/should have tried to stop it. I bought it just so I would finally have it, hooked up my 360 for the first time in a bit.

It only means one thing:

Amy Sedaris What Day Is It GIF by truTV’s At Home with Amy Sedaris

Wednesday Morning GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Bought it for the lols

If it doesn't eventually come to BC, I'll literally never play it. Hell even if it does, I probably won't. :messenger_tongue:

Larxia

The last Sonic game I really enjoyed. (I swear to God in the heaven above I'm not trolling)
I can actually understand it. It has tons of issues, but it was the last "big" 3D sonic game.

It felt like Adventure 3, while all the games after that were a lot smaller or had weird gimmicks, or were 2D games (not that it's a problem, I'm just talking about why it feels different).
Sonic Generations was great but was more of a compilation / remake thing, and had a lot of 2D too, and all the other games since that were similar, there hasn't been a full big 3D game since 06.

I think Sonic 06 could have easily been a decent game with some correctives and improvements. I enjoyed it as a kid but I'm not sure if I could go through the whole thing again in its current state, the loadings alone are too much.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I can actually understand it. It has tons of issues, but it was the last "big" 3D sonic game.

It felt like Adventure 3, while all the games after that were a lot smaller or had weird gimmicks, or were 2D games (not that it's a problem, I'm just talking about why it feels different).
Sonic Generations was great but was more of a compilation / remake thing, and had a lot of 2D too, and all the other games since that were similar, there hasn't been a full big 3D game since 06.

I think Sonic 06 could have easily been a decent game with some correctives and improvements. I enjoyed it as a kid but I'm not sure if I could go through the whole thing again in its current state, the loadings alone are too much.
Werehog stages aside, Sonic Unleashed had non trivial action stages and non trivial adventure stages where you could explore the environment. It was a bit more like Sonic Adventure 1 than most others though.

cireza

Banned
Werehog stages aside, Sonic Unleashed had non trivial action stages and non trivial adventure stages where you could explore the environment. It was a bit more like Sonic Adventure 1 than most others though.
It had the best level-design of any 3D Sonic game in my opinion, and the visual upgrade was the last time I was really impressed by a game. It was a big leap.

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I didn't hate this game. it had issues didn't think it was that bad overall

Sonic Adventure 1 is my Sonic 06 what a shitshow that game is I hate that it gets a pass for being a launch game
and some people have the nerve to say it didn't age well I thought it was shit in 99'

SADX%2BWHOA.png

BlackTron

What a random ass game to pop back up.

But I really had to step into the thread to defend Sonic Adventure 1 which, for all its flaws, still delivered a 10 level contiguous campaign AS SONIC that adequately translated his gameplay to 3D. As the first 3D Sonic this was no small accomplishment. The game would be way better if they simply removed a lot of the extra characters, story, in-between adventure field errands and other cruft and just left us with the well designed 3D Sonic levels played in order. Which is how I played it using level select TO DEATH after beating the game.

Sometimes games would be better if they added more of the right stuff. In SA's case all you need to do is subtract and you have a successful Sonic game. That game is still in there after you suffer through the bad parts. And to this day it still has the best control and physics of any 3D Sonic.

Larxia

I get what you mean and I did like the day levels of sonic unleashed, but the hub worlds were very small, it didn't feel like sonic adventure to me, they were more like glorified menus I think. The actual levels were the first to introduce the boost mechanic too and while I found it fun, it resulted in very short levels that are even more linear than previous 3D sonic games, it's a different feeling. There were also some 2D sections, locked camera etc, it feels more scripted.
And like you said, there was the Werehog parts which ruined the game for me. Gameplay time wise, you spend so much more time with Werehog than Sonic, sonic levels almost feel like bonus reward levels.

I don't know, Unleashed still feels a bit smaller to me, maybe just because the formula is different.

Top Bottom