• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 4 or AGAINST |OT| of Huelen in Green-Eyed Heaven

WillyFive

1542862-banner.png

1542855-6.png

1544548-14.png

1542854-7.png

1544552-10.png

1544551-11.png

1544550-12.png

1544549-13.png

1542853-8.png

1542856-5.png
1542852-9.png

Plasma

Banned
I'll give the trial a go when it goes up on Live to see how it plays but I'm not really hyped for this one.

Foffy

Banned
On the fence about this, but I really do like the images posted. Reminds me of a Nintendo Power article. :D

I hope the games good, but I'll probably get it no matter what. Oh, the nightmare of buying everything from a franchise just because I like the franchise as a whole...):

Peff

Alucard said:
So, what's the buzz on this one?

The game will be decent/good, if you expect a Sonic 1-3 you have to hate it, if you like Sonic Advance 2/3 you can use memes such as HATERS GONNA HATE to defend it.

I think I'll probably get the iPhone version if it's sub-10 munnies because it's sitting there from the pre-paid card my sister used for last week's sales, so I hope it's not too gimped.

Is there a reason it's for iOS but not any dedicated gaming handhelds?

Looks good but I don't like the pricing.Also. SEGA doesn't seem to get what should be going on here - the community had to bitch for the most obvious things to be corrected (Yep...we like when Sonic moves FAST. Crazy, huh?) so I'm not sure if I'm excited.

What, no "you fuckers fucked up bad" title?

I will be giving the trial a spin to see what it's like to actually play but I doubt that I will be picking this up until it's half price in a sale, delays or not the game just isn't a true sonic 4 to me for multiple reasons.

theultimo

Diablohead said:
What, no "you fuckers fucked up bad" title?

I will be giving the trial a spin to see what it's like to actually play but I doubt that I will be picking this up until it's half price in a sale, delays or not the game just isn't a true sonic 4 to me for multiple reasons.
If they labeled it Sonic Rush HD or something, it could fit. This is NOT SONIC 4.

Zen

Banned
For, but hopefully the price lowers.

theultimo said:
If they labeled it Sonic Rush HD or something, it could fit. This is NOT SONIC 4.

This is more Sonic 4 than this would fit with Rush, or how Advance ended up.

-PXG-

I'm cautiously optimisitic...Who am I kidding? I'll probably end up getting this. Nice job on the OP.

Sean

Banned
I'll be downloading the demo for sure. Due to the high price there's little chance I'll actually buy it, but who knows, maybe it'll surprise me.

Burai

shitonmychest57
jonnybryce said:
Is there a reason it's for iOS but not any dedicated gaming handhelds?

The DS probably isn't powerful enough and nobody buys PSP games.

I'd be surprised if this didn't end up on the 3DS at some point though.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I will admit I seem to be one of the few who doesn't think the art direction is bad at all, and that it captures the look and feel of the original Sonic 1's aesthetic better than any game since. Sonic 1's art had a very special feel to it; very geometric, kinda creepy in odd ways.

Tho on the other hand I really lost enthusiasm after finding out they were going "episodic" and DLC only. To me it shows a vote of no faith in the game; Nintendo was bold enough to put NSMB Wii on a disc and treat it like a full and proper game. Sonic 4 caves in to the guys who think 2D games are worth five bucks at most and should all be download content because they're not "sophisticated next-gen experiences" like Grand Theft Freakin' Auto.

Plus it /is/ overpriced for just 4 zones. Sonic 1 for the Genesis has more content.

Would be on board had they given this project a proper budget and scope, shot for say, 12 zones on a disc will proper music and some great Sonic CD-style animated intro and outros and just generally treated it like a real game. Not "DLC Retro for you old fanboys".

I'm sure someone at Sega would look at comments like this and whine "see! You fans can't be pleased!", but really, their handling of Sonic 4 is just another sign they don't get it.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Peff said:

What is it with Sonic and insane people. I don't understand.

Anyways, this looks OK. I've been done with Sonic since Adventure 1 on Dreamcast, so I'm not eager to buy this, but if I hear good things I might give it a try. What I've seen looks just 'OK'. I'll at least try the trial on 360.

Salsa

Burai said:
The DS probably isn't powerful enough and nobody buys PSP games.

I'd be surprised if this didn't end up on the 3DS at some point though.

Make it available for PSP would be smart, oh well.

Thoraxes

Chet Rippo said:
Why are they being released on different days on each platform?

Clever.
Each System has their online store updates on different days. Wii = Monday, PS3 = Tuesdays, etc.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
[Nintex] said:
You put more effort in that OP than SEGA did in the game.
Personally, I'm kind of tired of OPs that take up an awful lot of space to display hardly anything worth actually reading. I almost instinctively start flicking the scroll wheel at this point.

Don't know if I'm getting this game or not yet. I'm a little curious but promised myself that I'd stop rewarding Sega for bad behavior years ago and have stuck to that since then. The whole episodic bit kills my interest more than anything else. Will probably wait for worthwhile impressions or lots of footage.

TL4E

To Far Away Times said:
15 years of Sonic evolution? Really?

Evolution can be generically interpreted as "change over time." Sonic has technically changed over 15 years, though whether it was for the better is a matter of speculation on the neogafs and Sonic fan forums.

Indeed biological evolution doesn't even mandate that anything gets "better" in the conventional sense.

So yes, evolution is a good word.

Top Bottom