• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 - Wii/PS3/360; downloadable episodic release - [Update: $15?]

Sonic%20the%20Hedgehog%204%20Episode%201.png

Edit: Damn, beaten. XD

Alphahawk

I'm still rather confused at why a Weezer song from 1994 ended up on Sega's site. The song itself in no way fits with Sonic so it can't be the main theme, and it's already been confirmed that there going with a traditional Sonic soundtrack so it's not level music.

WHAT IS IT?

Eric C

Calcaneus said:
So we had Street Fighter 4, now we have Sonic 4. Is there any chance on earth Nintendo goes all out and makes a SMB 4? Or should we just consider SMW to be the unofficial "4" at this point?

1zyala8.jpg

Roto13 said:
This thread makes me want to go back and play some classic Sonic. I almsot want to say something positive about Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, but I won't.

:O You said the f-word!
Those little friends are his real buddies, the ones you save! So heart warming

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Calcaneus said:
So we had Street Fighter 4, now we have Sonic 4. Is there any chance on earth Nintendo goes all out and makes a SMB 4? Or should we just consider SMW to be the unofficial "4" at this point?
335px-Super_Mario_World_Japan_cover.jpg

I wish they would've gone with the Sonic 2 look, that's my personal preferance. But, hey at least there is no way a modern developer like Sega can screw up a side scroller right?
*crickets*

Firestorm

BocoDragon said:
Yup. The basic idea is that Irwin distributed Sega stuff in Canada during the late 80s and very early 90s... and their plan was basically to put "Genesis" on the PAL box art and call it a day. It even says "For Use With The Sega Mega Drive Video Entertainment System" on the bottom of the art. All early Canadian Genesis games were like this.

Eventually Sega themselves (Sega of America?) took over Canadian distribution so around 1992 or so we started to see regular USA box art in Canada.
That actually tricked me as I thought Genesis games were region free until my uncle brought back a Mega Drive game from Europe which wouldn't work =/

j0jp86.jpg

Andrex said:
Mind = Super Blown

This means Yoshi's Island is SMB5.
Not unless you count Wario Land 4 as Super Mario Land 7.

The mp3's labeled, so this is definitely "XXX S4E1 Title Screen 0202".

Andrex said:
Mind = Super Blown

There's been a long argument about this, I forget the topic. Yoshi's Island is a Super Mario game, but it wasn't technically Super Mario World 2. That was something they added for the US release. Even then a Super Mario World 2 wouldn't necessarily be a Super Mario 5.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Kulock said:
There's been a long argument about this, I forget the topic. Yoshi's Island is a Super Mario game, but it wasn't technically Super Mario World 2. That was something they added for the US release. Even then a Super Mario World 2 wouldn't necessarily be a Super Mario 5.

Hrm it's probably like SMB4-2 then. Like FFX-2.

MNC

Andrex said:
Mind = Super Blown

It's also officially called Super Mario World 2, so kind of. Or a 4-2 kind of thing :lol

Edit: Beaten like my ass gets spanked in the morning

BocoDragon

Teknoman said:
So they had a plan for episodes awhile ago?
The PAL release of Sonic 3 was so much later that they already knew the cut content that was later made into "Sonic and Knuckles" was going to be reintroduced at some point.

I remember game magazines actually reported the PAL version was going to have the missing levels inserted back into the game itself... but they later scrapped those plans.

When they were prepping the PALbox art for Sonic 3, they obviously went through a stage where they were debating how to package the missing content, and they probably dubbed Sonic and Knuckles "Episode Two" or "Sonic 3: Episoide Two" at some point in development. They were toying with reflecting that fact on the PAL boxart for Sonic 3.

BocoDragon

Kulock said:
Yeah I love the fact that Super Mario World is Super Mario Bros. 4 only in Japan...

...and Yoshi's Island is Super Mario World 2 only in US and PAL verisons.

:D

HUELEN10 said:
i5qgef.png

That'll do pig hog, that'll do. :')

Sonic 3 pighog looks so fucking bad :lol :lol :lol But that's the beauty of great games. You don't sweat the unimportant shit.

Goes in this order.

Sonic 2 > Sonic 4 > Sonic 1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sonic CD

Sonic 3 shouldn't be there it's so bad :lol :lol :lol

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Sonic 3 pighog looks so fucking bad :lol :lol :lol But that's the beauty of great games. You don't sweat the unimportant shit.

Goes in this order.

Yet Sonic 3 is the best Sonic game of them all...

2 Minutes Turkish said:

Goes in this order.

I'm pretty sure its a crime to say anything bad about Sonic 3. There is nothing wrong it the game. It is pure gaming bliss. Now repent or may the Carnival Barrel find you in your slumber and never allow you to progress back into waking life.

Alphahawk said:
I'm still rather confused at why a Weezer song from 1994 ended up on Sega's site. The song itself in no way fits with Sonic so it can't be the main theme, and it's already been confirmed that there going with a traditional Sonic soundtrack so it's not level music.

WHAT IS IT?

Maybe it will play during credits?

HUELEN10

Scullibundo said:
I'm pretty sure its a crime to say anything bad about Sonic 3. There is nothing wrong it the game. It is pure gaming bliss. Now repent or may the Carnival Barrel find you in your slumber and never allow you to progress back into waking life.
I must be one of the few people on here who did not have trouble with the barrel. ZIt goes up and down, I want it to go MORE up and down, so I press up and down! Makes sense to me. Then again, I didn't play it as a kid, so maybe that's why?
2 Minutes Turkish said:

Goes in this order.

I still wish they would have just used the actual box logo for part of the Sonic CD title screen.
ibwhh0.png

I don't get tired of saying that I love this. I just love it.

Scullibundo said:

shagg_187 said:
Yet Sonic 3 is the best Sonic game of them all...

I never said the GAME sucked.

Read my post again, I actually said that's the beauty of a GREAT game, you don't care about unimportant shit.

By unimportant shit, I meant the title screen.

It's only the title screen of 3 that was horrendous. The game itself is fucking awesome.

2 Minutes Turkish said:

Read my post again, I actually said that's the beauty of a GREAT game, you don't care about unimportant shit.

It's only the title screen of 3 that was horrendous. The game itself is fucking awesome.

That's why I said "yet".

2 Minutes Turkish said:

That's why I said 'anything'.

RobbieNick

BobFromPikeCreek said:
They've made four 2D games in the last 5 years, all of which were shit. 2D alone proves nothing.

Bull.

Sonic Advance 1 & 2 were great. Sonic Rush was AWESOME (Except that fucking sixth world where it was so easy to fall and die.) Sonic Rush Adventure was decent but not perfect.

Now, Sonic Advance 3 sucked and Sonic Rivals 1 & 2 were okay if in multiplayer. Otherwise, boring.

Oh!! Sonic pocket Adventure. That was a great one as well.

RagnarokX

Teknoman said:
Title song is growing on me...
Not as good as Sonic 1 and Sonic 2, but beats the crap out of Sonic 3.
HUELEN10 said:
What? I thought that Sonic & Knuckles had the weakest one, and that Sonic 3's kicked it's ass! That is the only thing that saddened me when locking-on, that song was gone. :(
It's too surfer-y. Lock-on fixes it.

HUELEN10

RagnarokX said:
What? I thought that Sonic & Knuckles had the weakest one, and that Sonic 3's kicked it's ass! That is the only thing that saddened me when locking-on, that song was gone. :(

WillyFive

RagnarokX said:

Sonic 3's theme song is superior to Sonic 1 and 2 and CD.

bbbbBBBBEEEEEEeeewwwwwwwwnnnnnnn da da da da da da da...da da da da da duh da duh da da.....

That said, I don't like this new theme. It's missing a melody, an identity. It's just "a game from the Genesis era" instead of "Sonic 4".

Calcaneus said:
Holy Crap. Why didn't they stick with that name for the US version?

By going past the trilogy, it starts to become milkage, so they made it a new series.

So ever since, a new console means a new series. Yoshi's Island was Mario World 2, and of course, Super Mario Galaxy 2 is the second Mario 3D Wii game.

WillyFive

Crumpet Trumpet said:
Ya'll be trippin', Sonic CD plainly has the best title screen. Mainly because Sonic doesn't look like he suffers from scoliosis.

What!? Heck no! That is by far the worst one! Seems like the guy who did the art for it had scoliosis. The opening video, however, is awesome.

Crumpet Trumpet said:
Ya'll be trippin', Sonic CD plainly has the best title screen. Mainly because Sonic doesn't look like he suffers from scoliosis.
titlescreen.png
No.

Only because I can't unsee the fact that it says "Sonic CD The Hedgehog."

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
HUELEN10 said:
2rh1y8l.png

Avatar if anyone wants it. Had to crop it, because shrinking the whole thing to such a small size just made it looks pretty fugly.

This inspired me.

HUELEN10

So currently, I have one major question about this game. Where does it take place in the series' chronology (laugh all you want, but it honestly piques my curiosity just a bit.)? We know it happens following the destruction of the Death Egg on Angel Island with Sonic taking a break and exploring new territories, but how long since that event is the question at hand...

I always thought it safe to assume that part of the chronology happens in this order.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles then Sonic Advance then Sonic Advance 2 then Sonic Adventure (DX)

Based on that, where do you think this will fall? Spoilerbox below has explanations on this order.

Why this order? Well, after Sonic 3 & Knuckles we see that Sonic Advance has very close plot to the genny games, as well as similar badniks as well. In Sonic Advance 2, we meet cream and see that some of these enemies have become slightly more modern as well. We also meet one of, if not the first robot of Eggman's new E-Series, the E-100 Alpha aka ZERO. In Sonic Adventure DX, a mostly unaltered port, we see even more advances in Eggman's robots, as well as the rest of the E-Series. In the DX port, we also see Cream. BTW, this is very abridged version on this possible timeline. I've been debating it with others for quite some time, not that it matters at all. (Don't get me STARTED on the Mario timeline though...)

Top Bottom