• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 - Wii/PS3/360; downloadable episodic release - [Update: $15?]

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
RobbieNick said:
Bull.

Sonic Advance 1 & 2 were great. Sonic Rush was AWESOME (Except that fucking sixth world where it was so easy to fall and die.) Sonic Rush Adventure was decent but not perfect.

Now, Sonic Advance 3 sucked and Sonic Rivals 1 & 2 were okay if in multiplayer. Otherwise, boring.

Oh!! Sonic pocket Adventure. That was a great one as well.

Sonic Advance 1: very good
Sonic Advance 2: pointless discussing its merits since the phisics where completely fucked up. If Sonic doesn't control like Sonic then I can't get excited about the rest of the game.
Sonic Advance 3: garbage, even worse phisics.
Sonic Rush: AWESOME. Done by Dimps. Not called Sonic 4 for a reason (besides being on the DS I mean) since it's part Sonic and part focusing more on speed (the good kind of fast gameplay tho), but still an awesome new direction.
Sonic Adventure: Mediocre, overbloated, messed with a fine formula, done by Sonic Team.

Also as far as Sonic's design goes:

Sonic 1 >> Sonic 2 >>>>>>> Sonic 3 > Sonic 4.
"Dysney's" style >>>>>>>>> shitty sunday morning american cartoon from the late '90s, ie rebel kid with a cool attitude.
And I fucking hate Sega now brought the shitty green eyes in the numbered Sonic series as well.

HUELEN10 said:
I always thought it safe to assume that part of the chronology happens in this order.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles then Sonic Advance then Sonic Advance 2 then Sonic Adventure (DX)

I think it's...

Sonic 3 & Knuckles then Sonic 4 then Sonic 3D Blast then Twilight Princess then Ocarina of Time then Sonic Advance then Christmas NiGHTS then Sonic Adventure (DX)

Unicorn

sonicblackeyes4.png

HUELEN10

Andrex said:
Story + Sonic = Fail
Story's the only thing ensuring that Sonic Rush 3 gets made, so that's one reason not to hate it entirely. :( I like Sonic Rush gameplay, and I want my Sonic Rush 3. As for story in general, I think it's great if they do the Sonic 3 & Knuckles or Sonic CD approach for these types of games. Sonic Advance-style story scenes are pushing it, but Sonic 3 & Knuckles nailed it.
Unicorn said:
Ah, get it away from me! Help me greenie!

HUELEN10 said:
So currently, I have one major question about this game. Where does it take place in the series' chronology (laugh all you want, but it honestly piques my curiosity just a bit.)? We know it happens following the destruction of the Death Egg on Angel Island with Sonic taking a break and exploring new territories, but how long since that event is the question at hand...

I always thought it safe to assume that part of the chronology happens in this order.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles then Sonic Advance then Sonic Advance 2 then Sonic Adventure (DX)

Based on that, where do you think this will fall? Spoilerbox below has explanations on this order.

Why this order? Well, after Sonic 3 & Knuckles we see that Sonic Advance has very close plot to the genny games, as well as similar badniks as well. In Sonic Advance 2, we meet cream and see that some of these enemies have become slightly more modern as well. We also meet one of, if not the first robot of Eggman's new E-Series, the E-100 Alpha aka ZERO. In Sonic Adventure DX, a mostly unaltered port, we see even more advances in Eggman's robots, as well as the rest of the E-Series. In the DX port, we also see Cream. BTW, this is very abridged version on this possible timeline. I've been debating it with others for quite some time, not that it matters at all. (Don't get me STARTED on the Mario timeline though...)

Maybe this ties into Sonic Chronichles when he tries to "find" himself. :lol

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Kulock said:
I think it's...

Sonic 3 & Knuckles then Sonic 4 then Sonic 3D Blast then Twilight Princess then Ocarina of Time then Sonic Advance then Christmas NiGHTS then Sonic Adventure (DX)

no no no, that makes no sense

you gotta switch Twilight Princess and Ocarina

Unicorn

Blueblur1 said:
Bitching about the green eyes continues to confound me. Get over it, GAF.
It is ridiculous. I was thinking about this game all day at work. Wish Robotnik was Robotnik, but I'm not going to sit here and shit a brick over his eyes being green. I mean, they took a 3-D model and then converted it to a sprite like this is Sonic 3D Blast or something. I think 2 pixels on sonic being green isn't going to bother me.

Whipped up the black eye Sonic in a couple minutes in MS Paint. Not that big of a difference in appearance.

Danthrax said:
you gotta switch Twilight Princess and Ocarina

No, see, the Master Emerald was used to forge the Master Sword initially, which the Wind Fish then used to wake Mario up from Subcon. It's all pretty straight-forward.

Blueblur1 said:
Bitching about the green eyes continues to confound me. Get over it, GAF.
it's because a maniac is jacking off to the green eyes and usually that means it's terrifying and wrong and we should just get rid of it to save the rest of us

RobbieNick

Unicorn said:
What? Did you change something? I don-OH!! Now I see. You slighty re-colored the eyes black. Why yes, it's just so much ummmmmm...better......yea.

Seriously, enough with the green eye complaints. It's incredibly stupid.

Unicorn

RobbieNick said:
What? Did you change something? I don-OH!! Now I see. You slighty re-colored the eyes black. Why yes, it's just so much ummmmmm...better......yea.

Seriously, enough with the green eye complaints. It's incredibly stupid.
exactly. surprised no one else did this to make the point that it's barely noticeable. Only GAF cares.

I can't believe I didn't notice this until now. I love the old Sonic games. Hopefully this is more like the old games(although I've been hoping for that forever).

komojo

Neo Member
The thing that will make or break the game for me is whether or not it the physics feel realistic. In my mind, what's missing in the newer games is sections like the half-pipes in Spring Yard Zone, or the rolling sections of Star Light Zone. The half-pipe momentum is somewhat faked to give you more boost, but essentially it's just modeling a rolling object that follows the surface in a physically plausible way. In the newer games Sonic always seems to be running on a linear path at his maximum speed at all times. It feels like they got lazy with the physics, either by design or because the programmers couldn't get it right.

The 2 seconds of gameplay footage in the teaser still leaves that question unanswered unfortunately. When I saw it the first thing that stood out for me was the crappy jumping animation; at first it looks like it's part of the actual gameplay, but then it wasn't until watching it a second time that I realized you don't even see him jump in-game. It's just part of the crappy Flash animation.

The art design on the level is pretty good. I like the old Sonic proportions better, but I think the green eyes look cool. I'm hoping this turns out good, but I'll probably buy it on day one even if it sucks.

I have a feeling the best part is going to be the music.

Sega really needs to make a midquel now between Sonic & Knuckles and Sonic 4 that explains how he got those green eyes. I want to know the official canon story behind that

andymcc

Banned
Anticitizen One said:
Sega really needs to make a midquel now between Sonic & Knuckles and Sonic 4 that explains how he got those green eyes. I want to know the official canon story behind that

chaos contacts.

Unicorn

Anticitizen One said:
but it's flashback spoilers for Sonic 4's big twist! He's actually mecha-sonic!

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Anticitizen One said:
He had a hard time coping with the events of the first years. He went to Boston for some time, got into the wrong crowd. For some time, he was shootin' V like a motherfucker.

Sciz

Dash Kappei said:
Sonic Adventure: Mediocre, overbloated, messed with a fine formula, done by Sonic Team.
I'll assume you mean Rush Adventure, which a simple look at the credits would reveal was also by Dimps.

Mashing

Man, when are Nintendo and Sega going to get together and make a platform with those two characters. Talk about printing money, my god.

Of course I think that is just too awesome to ever happen (I'm not counting the Olympic games, however, even those sold well).

Just caught up with the news. It really does look good but like others have said we'll have to wait and see on that. Anyways I really love what I'm seeing so far. Can't wait for more info. :D

OMG Aero

Anticitizen One said:
If I remember correctly, the Sonic comic had this weird story where Sonic absorbed Chaos or something and that made his eyes green for some reason.

Ten-Song

OMG Aero said:
If I remember correctly, the Sonic comic had this weird story where Sonic absorbed Chaos or something and that made his eyes green for some reason.

Alright, this thread's already back to referencing the comics again!

noquarter

Trailer's got me ready for some Sonic. Guess I should go full blackout on the Sonic stuff so as to not ruin the experience.

Really can't wait for this game now.

I feel like, based on all the nitpicky whining in this thread about Sonic's eyes and his modernized look, Sonic diehards almost deserve to suffer with mediocre and bad Sonic games from here to eternity.

Looking forward to the game, for you know... the gameplay!

Xenon

The camera is zoomed in too close for my liking. It would be nice to see more than a few seconds ahead.

HUELEN10

Xenon said:
The camera is zoomed in too close for my liking. It would be nice to see more than a few seconds ahead.
Maybe it's dynamic zoom-wise? We really don't know, and can't tell from that small chunk of footage.

Ok nerds..... what's the difference between Master System Sonic and Genesis Sonic on Virtual Console?

Absolutely going to buy Sonic 3 in a minute though.

Xenon

HUELEN10 said:
Maybe it's dynamic zoom-wise? We really don't know, and can't tell from that small chunk of footage.

I hope so. Sonic's biggest fault was its trial and error nature once you picked up some speed thanks to the limited view in front of you.

HUELEN10

Buckethead said:
Ok nerds..... what's the difference between Master System Sonic and Genesis Sonic on Virtual Console?

Everything. Like Sonic Unleashed HD and Sonic Unleashed Wii, they are 2 entirely different games. Another case like that is Sonic 2 8-bit. If you are going to get an 8-bit title, I recommend Sonic 2! As for Sonic 3, lock-on IS coming when Sonic & Knuckles comes out!

Rlan

Buckethead said:

Completely different games basically. Go for Sonic 2 on Master System if you're interested in any of them - I don't think any Zones from Sonic 2 GEN are even in Sonic 2 GG.

HUELEN10

Rlan said:
Completely different games basically. Go for Sonic 2 on Master System if you're interested in any of them - I don't think any Zones from Sonic 2 GEN are even in Sonic 2 GG.
You are correct. :D Gimmick Mountain, green Hills, Crystal Egg...

You won't find that surreal stuff anywhere else! The gameplay is also more akin to Sonic Megadrive than Sonic 2 Megadrive aka no spindash. Emeralds are hidden throughout the levels. Can you find them all?

I really love this game.

Roto13

Buckethead said:
Everything. :p

I actually prefer Master System Sonic 1 to the Genesis version.

Top Bottom