• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 - Wii/PS3/360; downloadable episodic release - [Update: $15?]

Firestorm

April 2nd, 2010: You may have noticed I stopped updating this thread a while back. This is because the game looks like it will play like shit and it's not worth it. YouTube a video and cry or something. We're at Stage 3 of the cycle. If you aren't already invested in this thread, I'd recommend staying out of it. It's better for you.

---

30vbz0l.png

What Was Revealed
- Trailer: http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/sonicthehedgehog4episode1/video/6249444?hd=1
- Interview: http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/sonicthehedgehog4episode1/news.html?sid=6249445&mode=previews
- Official Site: http://www.sega.com/sonic4/us/index.html
- Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1
- Released July 2010 on XBLA, PSN, and WiiWare
- Likely coming to iPhone / iPod Touch / iPad later as well judging by the "?" platform on the title screen at the end of the trailer
- Picks up right after Sonic 3 & Knuckles as far as story goes (so falls in Sonic 2 / Sonic 3 / Sonic & Knuckles storyline)
- spin dash, power sneakers, and homing attack are in
- Wii version uses motion control, PS3 version uses Sixaxis
- Wii version runs at 480p, PS3 and 360 version run at 1080p
- A screenshot can be found below
- RUMOUR: 400 Microsoft Points aka $4.99 aka 500 Wii Points

What We Already Knew
  • 2D
  • 2010 Release
  • A strong possibility of the game being a downloadable title
  • It is NOT a remake
  • Of the following characters, only Sonic is in the game:
    4265851561_c7ba867eea_m.jpg

Trailers and Artwork
Teaser: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-MTCp3wHBI
Music Sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZF__kFSYv4
Reveal Trailer: http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/sonicthehedgehog4episode1/video/6249444?hd=1

Concept Art

Screenshot:
292n33n.jpg

What This Thread Is Not
- a place to write your Sonic fanfiction
- a place to repost Sonic fanfiction which I can't understand how you found in the first place
- a place to link to other Sonic forums where people discuss how much they want to marry Sonic
- a place to post furry art (your own and reposts)
- a place to post Sonic comics (Archie or otherwise unless it is a timely strip about something relevant to the announcements)
- a place to post the Sonic Cycle because you are a unique snowflake and it is just oh so funny

Keep this thread work safe. That is all. Want to talk about one of those things? Last thread is still alive.

Why is this thread being made?
- Because megathreads suck when nobody can find the updates
- Because you assholes ruined the other thread and nobody can click it without fear of being banned from their school or work networks

If a mod could update this thread title when the name of the game is announced that'd be great.

Firestorm

Arnie said:
By "unveiling", do you think they will show us the game being played?
I think it will just be the name. I'd love some sort of trailer seeing as this is supposed to be a big week for them and I can't see why they'd do it on an external site if there wasn't some sort of media to accompany it. They did say there will be a bonus after all.

Aru

I was expecting more than a name announcement :/
Well, there's still that extra bonus, but I'm keeping my expectations low.

Maybe the bonus is the unblacked game logo ? :p
Sombrero Pikachu :'(

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
NEEDLEMOUSE-Y GOODNESS!?!? omg I'm all excited now, y thank u gamespot. :|

I hope this is as close to Sonic 2 as possible without being a replication. :3

Kandinsky

Thanks for this thread, the other one was weird and totally OT.

Cant wait for this unveiling, this is going to be awesome, i just know it!

Arnie said:
By "unveiling", do you think they will show us the game being played?

To Sega, an unveiling is:
  • accidently posting some el-crapo concept art a few hours too early (only to have it removed about an hour later and put back up an hour later than it should have in the first place)
  • some PR with lots! of! exclamation! marks! (including a patronising paragraph about how "Sonics back" and how "we all asked for it")
  • nothing we actually wanted to see

I CAN'T WAIT :D

Firestorm said:
That being true doesn't make the statement "Sonic Cycle is no longer funny" false.

Yeah. I'll link it in the first post. Thanks

It's not about humor, it's about tempering expectations.

wizword said:
This is the first time sega has really pumped me about a new sonic game since sonic adventures 2.

See? Like this.

WillyFive

Brobzoid said:
NEEDLEMOUSE-Y GOODNESS!?!? omg I'm all excited now, y thank u gamespot. :|

I hope this is as close to Sonic 2 as possible without being a replication. :3

Why Sonic 2 specifically?

Amir0x

Banned
I mean, you can say this thread is not the place to post the Sonic cycle, but it always ends up being true. And the facts have a place in any thread. Sonic hasn't had a good game for ages. It's only natural to be skeptical.

However, merely because it appears this dev understands that we only want Sonic, I hope they understand the unique momentum based platforming/speed is what Sonic is all about too. I can only hope. I want to love Sonic again

Aru

Xanafalgue said:
To Sega, an unveiling is:
  • accidently posting some el-crapo concept art a few hours too early (only to have it removed about an hour later and put back up an hour later than it should have in the first place)
  • some PR with lots! of! exclamation! marks! (including a patronising paragraph about how "Sonics back" and how "we all asked for it")
  • nothing we actually wanted to see

I CAN'T WAIT :D

I want a Sonic Unleashed-like "unveiling" :D
ie leak

DogWelder

Firestorm said:
What This Thread Is Not
- a place to write your Sonic fanfiction
- a place to repost Sonic fanfiction which I can't understand how you found in the first place
- a place to link to other Sonic forums where people discuss how much they want to marry Sonic
- a place to post furry art (your own and reposts)
- a place to post Sonic comics (Archie or otherwise unless it is a timely strip about something relevant to the announcements)
Why do you hate Huelen so much?

Amir0x said:
I mean, you can say this thread is not the place to post the Sonic cycle, but it always ends up being true. And the facts have a place in any thread. Sonic hasn't had a good game for ages. It's only natural to be skeptical.

However, merely because it appears this dev understands that we only want Sonic, I hope they understand the unique momentum based platforming/speed is what Sonic is all about too. I can only hope. I want to love Sonic again

Rose's post in the other thread gives hope though doesn't it?

DOESN'T it?!?!

Sonic 3 is the best one.

To be honest, I wouldn't have minded if just Tails and Knuckles were in Sonic 4.

If everything is on track, then this loks like it will be a return to the roots. Sonic 1. No spindash?

wrowa

Reveal means in this case only that they are going to say the name? Since we already pretty much know that they will call it Sonic 4 it doesn't seem like it's worth the waiting.

HUELEN10

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Sonic 3 is the best one.

To be honest, I wouldn't have minded if just Tails and Knuckles were in Sonic 4.

If everything is on track, then this loks like it will be a return to the roots. Sonic 1. No spindash?
Should this game have a spindash, I would love it is they used the Sonic CD one.

Messi

I am starting to think if this game is sonic 4 the forum will explode with a massive devide down its center, one side hating that it is sonic 4 (cashing in on the name) and the other side loving it (because it is sonic, and they are like that).

We shall see, if the forum does explode. I will say I have enjoyed posting here.

Just a name? I hope there's some indication of, you know, how the game actually plays. I know Sega likes to fool around with their fans, but they should realize the burden is on them to earn goodwill back. Just saying, "It's Sonic 4!" isn't going to do that.

:lol i know sega only setting my hope so hight that this is the game we been wanting only to kick me in the balls later today

Firestorm

Amir0x said:

Definitely agree. But honestly, every other page having a 600x600px picture of the same thing is hardly worth having around.

HUELEN10 said:
I think you got the times wrong in the OP Firestorm...
Yeah, made a typo on the PST time. Fixed.

esc said:
Why do you hate Huelen so much?
Not endearing in the slightest like some of the crazier ones in that thread seemed to think. The stupid shit posted was just stupid shit.

Top Bottom