• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 - Wii/PS3/360; downloadable episodic release - [Update: $15?]

jman2050 said:
Some of you are seriously overreacting about the homing attack.

I think it's more of a legitimate concern than "eggman" vs "robotnik" because it actually has to do with how the game plays.

I mean, would you react well if they decided to add grinding and the trick booster to this game as well?

Brashnir

OnPoint said:
Yeah, it's not that big a deal.

*two posts later*

It represents the exact opposite of what a platform game is supposed to be. It's a bad mechanic, and its inclusion is an indication that they still don't have anyone who realizes how to design good platforming levels.

The enemies in the good Sonic games were never really even a plausible threat. Why do we need a super-duper homing attack to get rid of them? All you had to do to dispatch enemies in Sonic was to make contact with them while either rolling or jumping. Is that really so difficult?

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Black_Ice said:
I know this is stretching it, but how about Hyper Sonic in Sonic 4 too, Sega?
They'll probably keep him as an unlockable in Episode 2, for those who collected all the Chaos Emerald in 1.

Zen

Banned
TheCardPlayer said:
Did you even read my other fucking posts? I never said that the game will suck. I am looking forward to it, and for all I know it could be a great game. It's fans like you, who are the problem. You accept everything Sega shits out, without a word.

This is Sonic 4. I want this to be good. I deserve a good game, after seeing the franchise waddle in fucking watery shit for 16 years. Sega is listening? Good! Maybe they can change the sloppy crap and give me something to really, really love.

As of now, this looks like it will be a monumental upgrade on the current Sonic games. In fact, I'm pretty sure, it'll be a more than decent platformer. But yes, it'll be hampered by the stupid bullshit and if it didn't matter, half the board wouldn't be infuriated.

Sega say they want to please us, and they give us a new 2D Sonic title...then they unleash Eggman, homing attacks and animu Sonic all at the same time. There is still time...and hope. Nothing that can't be fixed. I am not proclaiming the death of Sonic. In fact, this bear the hallmarks of a triumphant return. But when a possibly average game is viewed as a goddamn savior, you know your series is in deep shit.

I won't put out for Sega. Give me Sonic 4, a real Sonic 4 or give your current fans more Sonic fucking Unleashed, the revenge of the greeneyed hedgebitch.

Are you freaking serious? There's like 5 people. :lol

I hope they keep his eyes green just to piss you off. :lol

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
2nrmqfc.png

HUELEN10

Rez said:
so who is actually developing this?
That's the best question I've heard! Anyone up for doing some poking around the flash site like they did for Sonic & Sega All-Stars racing? Maybe something will come up!

CozMick

Banned
Anyone else disappointed that this won't be a fully fledged £40 game?

I wan't spectacular big budget visuals in a 2Dish world, dozens of levels, multi-player etc....

I can't help but think that being on XBL/PSN will only hold back its potential.

Oh well, still a must buy, and actually my most wanted game of 2010, is that wrong?

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Brashnir said:
The enemies in the good Sonic games were never really even a plausible threat.

Not that I'm defending the homing attack, but Metropolis Zone would like a word with you.

Subliminal said:
So, the 'Summer' pretty much confirms this as a 'Summer of Arcade' Title? (Splosion man, Shadow Complex, MvC2 were all given 'Summer' Release dates)
That and the Behemoth game I thought of for the next Summer....

Grayman

So this great return to sonic's roots basically plays itself with homing attack?

Fastest iteration of the sonic cycle ever!

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
If the homing attack is like it is in rush, than it will be useless for those who don't care to learn it. I think the game will play just fine, I just want some really creative level design/music.

Iam Canadian

CozMick said:
Anyone else disappointed that this won't be a fully fledged £40 game?

I wan't spectacular big budget visuals in a 2Dish world, dozens of levels, multi-player etc....

I can't help but think that being on XBL/PSN will only hold back its potential.

As far as I'm concerned, Sega needs to prove they can get the fundamentals right before we go worrying about multiplayer and extraneous features.

MiamiWesker said:
Gaf finding reasons to hate, what a surprise.

This game will be amazing, I have zero doubt. I just hope everyone is ready for how short this game will probably be. The Genesis games could be beat in under an hour.

the problem is it's like this with every sonic game in the last few years.
"THIS time it will be good. I know it. They can't screw it up AGAIN, right?"
2 days after release, it's more like:"oh...uhm...yea..."

while I hope for some good oldschool sonic action, I keep my expectation (very) low.
Sega f*cked me way too many times.

Iam Canadian

FootNinja said:
If the homing attack is like it is in rush, than it will be useless for those who don't care to learn it. I think the game will play just fine, I just want some really creative level design/music.

If the homing attack was useful at any point in Rush, then I sure didn't notice it.

Teknoman

Iam Canadian said:
No, but that's because they barely did anything. If the homing attack is as ineffectual as those moves were, then I don't think anyone would have a problem with it.

Im sure thats how 4 will be. I mean there really isnt much you can do to force homing attack use, aside from huge gaps with enemies lined up and no other way to get across.

Even then, you could just bop across like the old days, or for new fans homing attack each one. Not that it will happen in that way, just saying I really dont think they have much room to make the homing attack that important this time around.

FootNinja said:

Same here.

Zen

Banned
So he likes modern and classic Sonic gameplay, shoot him. Jeez.

Brashnir said:
It represents the exact opposite of what a platform game is supposed to be. It's a bad mechanic, and its inclusion is an indication that they still don't have anyone who realizes how to design good platforming levels.

Just because the gameplay designers have included the homing attack taht doesn't mean that the level designers will suck.

The enemies in the good Sonic games were never really even a plausible threat. Why do we need a super-duper homing attack to get rid of them? All you had to do to dispatch enemies in Sonic was to make contact with them while either rolling or jumping. Is that really so difficult?

Fair enough yeah. If it was up to me I wouldn't include the homing attack; at the same time it could be made to work decently if they place decent restrictions on it instead of making it akin to the result of over boosting from games that had the boost mechanic.

Homing might be mandatory for a segment here or there, but it can also be pretty optional when it comes to a 2D plane, so I'm not exactly thinking that the project has been seriously harmed from a conceptual level.

hxa155

Man, this thread is moving faster than a cat chased by a dog. I'm optimistic and I'm already liking this episodic content idea.

HUELEN10

Why For?

Banned
Big One said:
This is a bad comparison. Eggman was the original Japanese name which was changed to Robotnik in the localizations. Tbh I never had a problem with the change; both fit the character it suits just fine to me. I find it ironic that people complain about the inclusion of story in the series yet they complain about names of the characters since characters are an integral part of storytelling even in a video game where you PLAYED as the story went on visually (Sonic 1-3).

That's right, it's EXACTLY the same.

Vega was the original Japanese name, and it never became the original name. Here, we ARE now getting the original name.

In th end, it means LITERALLY ZERO.

Fuck you all, this is it. I don't expect it to play exactly like the originals since there's a strange market they're also trying to not completely abandon.

But you know what? Even if it plays like a blend between the originals and Rush, it's still fucking good compared to the utter disgrace wé've been getting since after 1999.

Never change, GAF. Never change.

Me, I'm going to wait to see more gameplay footage before stirring up a shitstorm about whether or not the homing attack is an indication on whether or not the game sucks. Though I will say, the homing attack is a bit of an odd choice for a 2D game, considering it was created to help with accuracy in 3D...

But Sonic Advance and Sonic Rush have had the homing attack for a while and it's easy to ignore, so whatever!

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
The original Sonic Trilogy is to the new Sonic games what the original Star Wars Trilogy is to the new Star Wars movies.

This is why I worry.

I don't think anyone who is concerned about homing attack is saying that it's outright enough to already call the game shit. I think it's more than enough to justify remaining optimistic but simultaneously expecting the worst.

wRATH2x

Banned
I'm kind of underwhelmed.

I'm happy we're finally getting Sonic 4, but it seriously doesn't look like a sequel to Sonic The Hedgehog & Knuckles. I mean the logo really looks out of place for me, the whole game does to be honest.

I don't get this whole Green Eye/Black Eye thing, I mean HUELEN is happy as fuck about it and everybody is crying. I would have wanted black eyes since its a successor to the genesis games but in the end why is it so important?

The Robotnick/Eggman thing I agree with somewhat, he should be called robotnick with eggman as a nickname that isn't used very often.

In all honestly I hate the 3D models, the game doesn't really look good to me because of it. Its just a huge meh to me. If it used HD 2D sprites it would have looked much, much better. It would have also made the game standout a bit. I also hate the inclusion of the home attack. I like it in 3D and see the need for it but it doesn't work well in 2D, plus its not needed and very unnecessary.

I see why they went with all these things introduced in the franchise recently from a business standpoint. They'll be getting the new fanboys with their green-eye'd, thin and tall sonic fighting his eggman, the genesis fanboys with their Sonic 4, and then there's the sonic fanboys who will buy anything with his face on it.

Still, they don't really need to do that. This was supposed to be for the old classic Sonic fan's since the new fanboys don't really give a shit about Sonic 4. I don't why they didn't do the little changes that the old fans want, its mostly one name, eyecolor and the size of sonics belly.

And then there's the running animation, which looks like shit. If sonic runs I want his legs to look like wheels or an 8.

And we're not so sure the game is even good, I hope it is so we just have to wait and see.

Well, at least HUELEN got exactly what he wanted :lol

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
HUELEN10 said:
:lol I don't like crap. I just enjoy GOOD Sonic games, regardless of wether they are speed based or momentum/platform based. Any crap games I play are for shits, giggles, and nothing more.

So why do you like Sonic Unleashed?

HUELEN10

celebi23 said:
iPhone and Sonic Team confirmed!
TheCardPlayer said:
So why do you like Sonic Unleashed?
because it is a damn polished speed-based Sonic meshed with battle/platform elements, something I also enjoy.
Wrath2X said:
I'm kind of underwhelmed.

I'm happy we're finally getting Sonic 4, but it seriously doesn't look like a sequel to Sonic The Hedgehog & Knuckles. I mean the logo really looks out of place for me, the whole game does to be honest.

I don't get this whole Green Eye/Black Eye thing, I mean HUELEN is happy as fuck about it and everybody is crying. I would have wanted black eyes since its a successor to the genesis games but in the end why is it so important?

The Robotnick/Eggman thing I agree with somewhat, he should be called robotnick with eggman as a nickname that isn't used very often.

In all honestly I hate the 3D models, the game doesn't really look good to me because of it. Its just a huge meh to me. If it used HD 2D sprites it would have looked much, much better. It would have also made the game standout a bit. I also hate the inclusion of the home attack. I like it in 3D and see the need for it but it doesn't work well in 2D, plus its not needed and very unnecessary.

I see why they went with all these things introduced in the franchise recently from a business standpoint. They'll be getting the new fanboys with their green-eye'd, thin and tall sonic fighting his eggman, the genesis fanboys with their Sonic 4, and then there's the sonic fanboys who will buy anything with his face on it.

Still, they don't really need to do that. This was supposed to be for the old classic Sonic fan's since the new fanboys don't really give a shit about Sonic 4. I don't why they didn't do the little changes that the old fans want, its mostly one name, eyecolor and the size of sonics belly.

And then there's the running animation, which looks like shit. If sonic runs I want his legs to look like wheels or an 8.

And we're not so sure the game is even good, I hope it is so we just have to wait and see.

Well, at least HUELEN got exactly what he wanted :lol
:lol One of the main reasons I always push for "Greenie" besides the fact that it looks better IMO, is because people are hating on it simply because it "isn't" what they played back in the day. Automatically making it mean that anything new is bad seems petty to me. I honestly think that not just Sonic, but everything benefits more when you take the best of all the work you've done, and put it together in a way that works. As of now, this is what Sonic 4 is, at least to me.

RagnarokX

My thoughts: I'm pleased with the general retro direction (the speed looks about right), but I have some nitpicks:

-Get rid of the smoke coming off of Sonic's feet.
-Make the HUD less ugly.
-The backgrounds look weird... they look too detailed but flat... like someone drew trees by hand, scanned the drawing, and scaled the drawing up. It's hard to describe. They look like images scanned out of a magazine or something.
-Homing attack is not necessary in 2D games. I will give this a pass if it's not necessary to use it, but if there are gaps that you can only cross by homing in on a path of badniks no thanks.
-Modern Sonic and Robotnik models :(

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
BobFromPikeCreek said:
I don't think anyone who is concerned about homing attack is saying that it's outright enough to already call the game shit. I think it's more than enough to justify remaining optimistic but simultaneously expecting the worst.
I remember at least one post which went as follows "Fucking homing attack? are you kidding? i'm out."

Paraphrasing of course.

Looks too much like Sonic Advance/Rush to me, so I'm kind of skeptical. Also, the homing attack didn't work all that well in that Sonic Megamix fan romhack (it was fun at first but it kept launching me into pits or enemies that still hurt me for some reason) and I don't really trust Sega to do much better.

For the people complaining that this is download-only: don't Microsoft and Sony have some kind of "No 2D retail games" policy?

Animation is crap, per usual.

This is why I didn't want it to have models. SEGA has never animated 3D Sonic in a way that isn't hideous.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
magicalsoundshower said:
Looks too much like Sonic Advance/Rush to me, so I'm kind of skeptical.

For the people complaining that this is download-only: don't Microsoft and Sony have some kind of "No 2D retail games" policy?
Disgaea 3 and BlazBlue would like to have a word with you.

Arnie

Thats better, a numbered Sonic game. I loved the Seegaa noise in the trailer and I'm pleased they are returning to the good games style from the looks of things. Will buy.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Im gonna go low expectations until i see more footage. It's like they took modern sonic and old sonic and mixed it.

That's not what we wanted, Sega! We wanted old sonic with modern visuals :lol

Dacvak

celebi23 said:
promo1_locked.png
promo1.png

promo2_locked.png
promo2.png

Did some minor url changing & found the "hidden" promo images :lol
Is that legit?

Top Bottom