• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 - Wii/PS3/360; downloadable episodic release - [Update: $15?]

Gratzie, gratzie everyone.
Played the Genesis Sonics to death back when but never knew anything about the MS ones.

I get a "Super Mario Land" vibe from them. And that's not a bad thing.

I'm curious if we'll be able to link the Genesis games with S&K. Probably not.

Teknoman

Buckethead said:
Gratzie, gratzie everyone.
Played the Genesis Sonics to death back when but never knew anything about the MS ones.

I get a "Super Mario Land" vibe from them. And that's not a bad thing.

I'm curious if we'll be able to link the Genesis games with S&K. Probably not.

Says it'll work on the XBLA/PSN versions. Not sure about Virtual console.

Of course you could just snag the PS2/Cube collections for that.

EDIT: Anyone know what the 9 hr countdown clock is supposed to reveal again?

Rlan

Roto13 said:
I actually prefer Master System Sonic 1 to the Genesis version.

Sonic 1 MS's a pretty weird game. Not a single loop in the game, had underground caverns in Green Hills, Bridge Zones had a Mario 3 scrolling stage, Jungle had a climbing stage, Sky Base is on some big-ass blimp thing.

HUELEN10 said:

25rig0p.png

HUELEN10

Teknoman said:
Says it'll work on the XBLA/PSN versions. Not sure about Virtual console.

Of course you could just snag the PS2/Cube collections for that.

EDIT: Anyone know what the 9 hr countdown clock is supposed to reveal again?
The Mega collections of last gen have emulation that is not 100 percent. With VC however, that fixes that and allows for lock-on. As for the XBLA/PSN versions, they are bastardized according to many. Basically as far as this gen is concerned, VC is the best option by far.

As for the clock, no idea, but I am not staying up for it.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
You know the updates with the concept art, information when to look for news, the revelation, and everything else sort of reminded me of the Dojo website days.

Teknoman

HUELEN10 said:
The Mega collections of last gen have emulation that is not 100 percent. With VC however, that fixes that and allows for lock-on. As for the XBLA/PSN versions, they are bastardized according to many. Basically as far as this gen is concerned, VC is the best option by far.

As for the clock, no idea, but I am not staying up for it.

Yeah, cube collection actually had some strange slowdown issue for me in the blue sphere stages. After collecting so many, it would pause when collecting a blue sphere. Eventually the pause would build up to a few seconds long.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
TSSZ says someone poked around the site and found what the next update will be. It's the storyline:

Story thus far:

It began as Sonic’s animal friends begin disappearing from South Island. Soon Sonic discovers that evil scientist Dr. Eggman has been kidnapping them and turning them into robots to collect the legendary treasure – The Chaos Emeralds. Sonic decides it’s up to him to save them and embarks on a quest to free his animal friends. Sonic battles Eggman through many different zones. Sonic eventually pursues Eggman to Final Zone where the first in many epic battles between them begins. In the end Sonic is victorious and Eggman’s Mecha fly’s away badly damaged. Sonic returns to Green Hill Zone and re-unites with his friends.

Their reunion is short lived however, as Eggman resurfaces and begins kidnapping Sonic friends again, in an effort to create more workers to finish his ultimate Weapon – The Death Egg! Teaming up with the newly met, Miles ‘Tails’ Prower, Sonic embarks on a new mission through West Side Island in an effort to free his friends and ensure Eggman does not obtain the 7 Chaos emeralds to fuel the Death Egg.

Once the West Side Island is freed, Sonic and Tails eventually board the Tornado and assault the Death Egg itself. After destroying Mecha Sonic, Eggman flees and enters his new Eggman Robot attacking Sonic! After a heated battle Sonic destroys the Eggman Robot and the Death Egg begins to explode.

Sonic and Tails fly down and come across mysterious island called Angel Island. This island is floating by the power of the precious stone called Master Emerald, but now this mysterious island are dropping down to the ocean surface because the Death Egg had been falling on this island. Sonic and Tails are attacked by a Red Echidna named Knuckles the guardian of the island.

Knuckles steals the Chaos emeralds from Sonic, being tricked by Eggman that he is an enemy come to take the Master Emerald.While Sonic and Tails are entangled by Knuckles, Eggman repairs the Death Egg and preps it for launch.

Sonic manages to jump on Death Egg just as it’s flying off. After confronting Eggman on the Death Egg, Sonic defeats Eggman once more and the Death Egg plummets back to Angel Island.

Back on the ground Dr. Eggman begins the repairing Death Egg again. Feeling Knuckles has served his purpose, he sends EggRobo to eliminate this potential threat. EggRobo finds Knuckles relaxing in Mushroom Zone and drops a bomb on him but Knuckles manages to survive. Enraged, the Wild Echidna sets off to defeat EggRobo. Meanwhile Sonic and Tails explore the island to find traces of the Death Egg and find out Eggman’s fate. After and Epic showdown between Sonic and Knuckles, Eggman uses the opportunity to finally steal the Master Emerald and re-launches the Death Egg. With the power of the emeralds, Sonic goes after Eggman, who has taken the Master Emerald into space.

Sonic and Tails secure the Master Emerald and return it to Knuckles on Angel Island. With it’s power restored, the Angel Island lifts off into the sky as Sonic and Tails fly off into the sunset.

But this humiliating defeat only serves to further Eggman’s rage, and he has determined once and for all to rid himself of Sonic. Eggman revisits – and improves – the very best of his creations to defeat our spiked hero.

And so a new Adventure begins…​

Firestorm

That's actually the storyline of Sonic 1, 2, 3, and Knuckles. I'm surprised a Sonic fansite didn't recognize it at first glance... Well, if this turns out true, at least we know Sega read the instruction manuals of the Genesis games?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Firestorm said:
That's actually the storyline of Sonic 1, 2, 3, and Knuckles.

Yes. I wouldn't put it past them to make an update out of this. It's the equivalent of the Piplup Update.

HUELEN10

Edit: TSSZ didn't mention it's source is reliable from Sonic Retro. I really hate TSSZ at times.

@ Firestorm: Twas an honest concern. TSSZ gets a lot of unconfirmed things from the imageboards, and they get posted and pulled all the time so it is normal to be hesitant about it.

Firestorm

HUELEN10 said:
Umm that was no anonymous tipster, that was on a thread on that one /v/ideo gaming imageboard! I know because I was browsing it myself. Is there any proof that this is not made up? I mean, seriously, do we have any proof whatsoever? Guy from said thread said he found it at the Japan Site before it was pulled, and I find that hard to believe.

I am not saying this isn't accurate, who knows, it might be, I am just saying I want proof.

jman2050

HUELEN10 said:
Edit: TSSZ didn't mention it's source is reliable from Sonic Retro. I really hate TSSZ at times.

@ Firestorm: Twas an honest concern. TSSZ gets a lot of unconfirmed things from the imageboards, and they get posted and pulled all the time so it is normal to be hesitant about it.

There's a reason Tristan's reputation is dubious at best on that board.

Firestorm

Well, I'm confused. What do you think is made up? The story or the idea that that text was found on the Sega site and will be going up?

HUELEN10

Firestorm said:
Well, I'm confused. What do you think is made up? The story or the idea that that text was found on the Sega site and will be going up?
The latter of course. TSSZ is pretty much as close to a Sonic Tabloid as you'll get IMO, and no, that's not a good thing. Also, has anyone seen the unconfirmed stuff on the Sonic 4 wikipedia page? Time to do some edits...

HUELEN10

I should be doing hw said:
So is this game what every Sonic fan has been hoping for, or...? I'm not up to speed on how insane you guys are yet.
Let me put it this was: I got everything I wanted. :lol Honestly though, like always, the fanbase is all over the place. Some love the idea, some hate it, and some go as far as to consider the franchise dead due to a homing attack being in the game. In all honest, everyone is feeling different on this one, there is truly no clear consensus. After reading all there is to read, and watching all there is to watch, and pondering all there is to ponder, only you can decide if this is what you really wanted.

Firestorm

So is this game what every Sonic fan has been hoping for, or...? I'm not up to speed on how insane you guys are yet.
Not enough information to judge. Once we see a full playthrough of at least one level normal people can comment.

The insane ones have called it total shit / orgasmic already depending on which way they swing.

All I thought you people wanted was a 2D Sonic after all the ones with human fucking in them. I didn't know it was not so black and white. Or did I get that backwards and you want more games with human fucking in them. This is one of the only situations where I am uncertain about that.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
All I thought you people wanted was a 2D Sonic after all the ones with human fucking in them. I didn't know it was not so black and white. Or did I get that backwards and you want more games with human fucking in them. This is one of the only situations where I am uncertain about that.

...I don't know about all that, but I like how Sonic 4 looks so far.

BTW it's not just about it being 2D. It also needs gameplay based on moment, not on simply going really fast all the time.

They're one for two so far, and we need more gameplay footage to see if it's two for two.

Firestorm

There have been 2D Sonic games for ages. I want a Sonic game where some thought has been put into the level design. If the game is called Sonic the Hedgehog 4, it damn well better play like Sonic the Hedgehog 4. Nothing so far has shown me it will go one way or another so I'm going to stay neutral with a slightly negative tone due to the precedent set by Sonic Team.

HUELEN10

Danthrax said:
...I don't know about all that, but I like how Sonic 4 looks so far.

BTW it's not just about it being 2D. It also needs gameplay based on moment, not on simply going really fast all the time.

They're one for two so far, and we need more gameplay footage to see if it's two for two.
Even if it was, there are still other issues that the fanbase is at war at. Chubby vs Greenie, sprites Vs models, classic style music Vs orchestral, episodic vs retail, etc. It never ends. :( I Doubt there will EVER be a clear consensus.

BTW Firestorm, Knuckles Chaotix can be seen as Sonic 4 to some.

Firestorm

HUELEN10 said:
Even if it was, there are still other issues that the fanbase is at war at. Chubby vs Greenie, sprites Vs models, classic style music Vs orchestral, episodic vs retail, etc. It never ends. :(
None of that matters if they get the game right. They're minor quibbles, but this is make or break.

celebi23

Went through the site's xml file & saw that there's some images to go along with the intro. The images are most likely either out of order, or SEGA uploaded the wrong images (just posted what the XML file says) :lol

Sonicthehedgehog4.com said:
1.jpg

Story thus far:

It began as Sonic's animal friends begin disappearing from South Island. Soon Sonic discovers that evil scientist Dr. Eggman has been kidnapping them and turning them into robots to collect the legendary treasure - The Chaos Emeralds. Sonic decides it's up to him to save them and embarks on a quest to free his animal friends. Sonic battles Eggman through many different zones. Sonic eventually pursues Eggman to Final Zone where the first in many epic battles between them begins. In the end Sonic is victorious and Eggman's Mecha fly's away badly damaged. Sonic returns to Green Hill Zone and re-unites with his friends.

2.jpg

Their reunion is short lived however, as Eggman resurfaces and begins kidnapping Sonic friends again, in an effort to create more workers to finish his ultimate Weapon - The Death Egg! Teaming up with the newly met, Miles 'Tails' Prower, Sonic embarks on a new mission through West Side Island in an effort to free his friends and ensure Eggman does not obtain the 7 Chaos emeralds to fuel the Death Egg.

6.jpg

Once the West Side Island is freed, Sonic and Tails eventually board the Tornado and assault the Death Egg itself. After destroying Mecha Sonic, Eggman flees and enters his new Eggman Robot attacking Sonic! After a heated battle Sonic destroys the Eggman Robot and the Death Egg begins to explode.

4.jpg

Sonic and Tails fly down and come across mysterious island called Angel Island. This island is floating by the power of the precious stone called Master Emerald, but now this mysterious island are dropping down to the ocean surface because the Death Egg had been falling on this island. Sonic and Tails are attacked by a Red Echidna named Knuckles the guardian of the island.

5.jpg

Knuckles steals the Chaos emeralds from Sonic, being tricked by Eggman that he is an enemy come to take the Master Emerald.While Sonic and Tails are entangled by Knuckles, Eggman repairs the Death Egg and preps it for launch.

Sonic manages to jump on Death Egg just as it's flying off. After confronting Eggman on the Death Egg, Sonic defeats Eggman once more and the Death Egg plummets back to Angel Island.

3.jpg

Back on the ground Dr. Eggman begins the repairing Death Egg again. Feeling Knuckles has served his purpose, he sends EggRobo to eliminate this potential threat. EggRobo finds Knuckles relaxing in Mushroom Zone and drops a bomb on him but Knuckles manages to survive. Enraged, the Wild Echidna sets off to defeat EggRobo. Meanwhile Sonic and Tails explore the island to find traces of the Death Egg and find out Eggman's fate. After and Epic showdown between Sonic and Knuckles, Eggman uses the opportunity to finally steal the Master Emerald and re-launches the Death Egg. With the power of the emeralds, Sonic goes after Eggman, who has taken the Master Emerald into space.

7.jpg

Sonic and Tails secure the Master Emerald and return it to Knuckles on Angel Island. With it's power restored, the Angel Island lifts off into the sky as Sonic and Tails fly off into the sunset.

But this humiliating defeat only serves to further Eggman's rage, and he has determined once and for all to rid himself of Sonic. Eggman revisits - and improves - the very best of his creations to defeat our spiked hero.

And so a new Adventure begins...

HUELEN10

celebi23 said:
Eggman revisits - and improves - the very best of his creations to defeat our spiked hero.
Celebi, did that thing just hint at...
j9stau.png

:O

Holy Crap! This could explain that second Metal Sonic in Sonic Adventure! Wow, keep on rocking Sega! The news just keeps getting better and better.

Iknos

Sonic's running animation looks crap. All those puffs of dust from his feet look amatuerish and lame.

This is going to be a trainwreck.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
celebi23 said:
Went through the site's xml file & saw that there's some images to go along with the intro. The images are most likely out of order or SEGA uploaded the wrong images (just posted what the XML file says) :lol

Good to know it's legit and not something the Sonic fansites are pulling out of their asses.

Also, Sega REALLY needs a frakking copy editor. So badly. So, so badly.

celebi23

Danthrax said:
Good to know it's legit and not something the Sonic fansites are pulling out of their asses.

Also, Sega REALLY needs a frakking copy editor. So badly. So, so badly.

Yeah. Was kinda shocked that it was just sitting in an XML file :lol

I agree with you on SEGA needing a copy editor. It was kinda painful to read :lol And some of the images don't really match up to the "Intro" :lol

Squeak

What about the MUSIC!!! You missed previewing that Sega!
That's like the single most important aspect of the presentation of the game. Here's hoping...

Also hate the trailer, way to overblown and bombastic (ie. generic). Completely anti Sonic (ie, light, cool and fresh).

Firestorm

Also, did you actually re-colour Sonic's eyes green there Huelen? Or are Sega's artists so bad that they coloured his pupils by mistake?

Alphahawk

If Gaf existed in 92 it surely would of imploded over Sonic 2's reveal

-It's got only two acts, instead of three this will totally ruin the flow of the Sonic game.
-WTF where's the lamp post this star post shit won't do.
-Multiplayer? In a Sonic game LOL
-WTF is this supersonic shit so you're saying that I can become invincible just by completing special stages that's weak sauce, totally catering to the casuals...

HUELEN10

Alphahawk said:

-It's got only two acts, instead of three this will totally ruin the flow of the Sonic game.
-WTF is this supersonic shit so you're saying that I can become invincible just by completing special stages that's weak sauce, totally catering to the casuals...
Sadly, I think you are right for the most part.
Firestorm said:
Also, did you actually re-colour Sonic's eyes green there Huelen? Or are Sega's artists so bad that they coloured his pupils by mistake?
Seriously? Ugh...

goldenpp72

Alphahawk said:

wtf is this tails shit shitty friend

Firestorm

In 1992, we came off a high point. In 2010, we're coming off a pretty low point with multiple disappointments. Reactions are obviously going to reflect that.
HUELEN10 said:
Seriously? Ugh...
That doesn't answer the question.

Synth_floyd said:
Sonic is going the route of Mega Man 9. Cool I guess. Looking forward to it.

Eh, there's a fair difference between this and MM9, from both a visual and gameplay point of view.

MM9 is a replica of MM2. This isn't that.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Firestorm said:
I don't know if you're serious or not, but in case you are, Sonic got green eyes somewhen fo realz dawg, he will have green eyes in this title and people have whined and bitched about this detail in this very topic for about 30 pages or so.

Resilient

So, 3 days until the Characters area gets unlocked. Should we expect a shit storm over the possible Tails/Knuckles/
Eggman
model which isn't a perfect replica of the original?

Squeak

CurseoftheGods said:
That's not what generic means.
In this context it is. Every trailer has to look like LotR (which I hate by the way) or something, with swooshsounds, "mysterious" atmosphere, music that just can't get "epic" and pompous and overblown enough etc. etc.

Firestorm

wmat said:
I don't know if you're serious or not, but in case you are, Sonic got green eyes somewhen fo realz dawg, he will have green eyes in this title and people have whined and bitched about this detail in this very topic for about 30 pages or so.
No, he doesn't. Look at that picture and then look at any Sonic picture since 1999. His pupils are black while the iris is green. That picture is just really bad Photoshop work by Sega or by Huelen.

Edit: haha it's actual official box art for Sonic Gems Collection
oh sega you can't even keep your crappy new branding consistent

Alphahawk

I just noticed something from the trailer, at the end of it, Sonic runs past a Robotnik sign and it turns into a Sonic sign, that convention was thrown out the window in Sonic 3 in favor of mid-bosses, does this mean no more mid-bosses?

Dubble

_Alkaline_ said:
Eh, there's a fair difference between this and MM9, from both a visual and gameplay point of view.

MM9 is a replica of MM2. This isn't that.

It's really more of a cross between the throwback sensibilities of MM9 with the "modern retro" feel of New Super Mario Bros. Best of both worlds. Prevents a total visual throwback while going the route of doing a modern take on older and more aesthetically pleasing gameplay.

Now it's just a matter of whether Sega can pull it off correctly.

Alphahawk said:
I just noticed something from the trailer, at the end of it, Sonic runs past a Robotnik sign and it turns into a Sonic sign, that convention was thrown out the window in Sonic 3 in favor of mid-bosses, does this mean no more mid-bosses?

Pretty sure Sonic 3 and Knuckles had signs that fell from the sky after midbosses and endbosses.

I'm kind of curious how many acts each zone will have. 3 short acts with a boss at the end of the third, or two long acts with a boss at the end of the second. They mixed up the format a bit in the Advances too.

Top Bottom