• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 - Wii/PS3/360; downloadable episodic release - [Update: $15?]

Iknos

Gattsu25 said:
*Re-reads post 6632*

No...not really =\

What don't you get?

Forgot to mention that post 6632 was supposed to represent all of NeoGAF like how the 3 or 4 posts happy about Super Sonic represented all of NeoGAF.

The more a guy thinks about it the more ridiculous it seems to be happy the Super Sonic is in there. It's Sonic 4...it would be insanity if there were no Chaos Emeralds or Super Sonic.

Wrath2X said:
You guys is sillys!

Hey I was just doing what these pro-Sonic 4 people were doing just on the opposite end.

Super Sonic! This game is saved! Hallelujah!

vs.

Super Sonic! This game is going to blow!

vs.

Middle of the road guy like most of us who doesn't give a damn about Super Sonic at this point. The game has hundreds of other issues.

Iknos said:
What don't you get?

Forgot to mention that post 6632 was supposed to represent all of NeoGAF like how the 3 or 4 posts happy about Super Sonic represented all of NeoGAF.

The more a guy thinks about it the more ridiculous it seems to be happy the Super Sonic is in there. It's Sonic 4...it would be insanity if there were no Chaos Emeralds or Super Sonic.

Hey I was just doing what these pro-Sonic 4 people were doing just on the opposite end.

Super Sonic! This game is saved! Hallelujah!

vs.

Super Sonic! This game is going to blow!

vs.

Logical guy like most of us who doesn't give a damn about Super Sonic at this point. The game has hundreds of other issues.

Fixed.

goldenpp72

I kind of expect sonic 4 to rip off all the sonic 3 and knuckles conventions personally. In each episode your emeralds 'die' and you can reget 7 more for hyper sonic, SUPER DUPER sonic, and however far they go with episodes. Same for introducing more chars per episode and having them backtrack.

Perhaps that's too ambitious to ask from the likes of sonic 4.

RobbieNick

Dani said:
Not a cool thing to say.

Sorry. Yea. that is a little harsh. I just couldn't come up with a good medaphor at the time.

Game Informer interviewed Izuka who gave some new info on the game. Highlights include..

What about Tails and Knuckles you ask? "Fans will be very pleased with the cast in episode 2."

Episode 1 is a prologue.

Moves include: Spin Dash, Rolling Attack, homing attack and a new move yet unknown.

About homing attack: "I wanted the user to enjoy an easy-to-play feeling by the attack sequence that this [homing attack] allows, and find the fun routes in the air."

Classic special stages make a return.

Hornet Badnik. (Forget his name. Not Buzzbomber) Shown in screen shots.

Other screenshot shows Sonic smash though a wall that becomes a bunch of checkered bricks.

Another screenshot shows Sonic grabbing a handrail which goes across a wire. (Very Advance)XP

No floaty LBP physics. Classic Sonic Gameplay, classic Sonic speed. Says Izuka.

Not 3-D, but all CG pre-render.

Gamers will get classic "try again" ending if not successful at getting all emeralds. If you get all emeralds, you get cliffhanger ending for episode 2.

"If Sonic 4's return to form (there they go again.:lol ) is the Sonic experience you have been waiting 16 years for, then we strongly encourage you to try this."

Alittle disappointed that Tails, Knucles, Metal Sonic and Amy/Princess Sally won't be in this game. Contray to popular belief they wer NOT the problem with the decline in quality of the series.

RobbieNick

Anticitizen One said:
Alittle disappointed that Tails, Knucles, Metal Sonic and Amy/Princess Sally won't be in this game. Contray to popular belief they wer NOT the problem with the decline in quality of the series.

If you read my above post, it sounds like some will in episode 2.

RagnarokX

RobbieNick said:
Sorry. Yea. that is a little harsh. I just couldn't come up with a good medaphor at the time.

Game Informer interviewed Izuka who gave some new info on the game. Highlights include..

What about Tails and Knuckles you ask? "Fans will be very pleased with the cast in episode 2."

Episode 1 is a prologue.

Moves include: Spin Dash, Rolling Attack, homing attack and a new move yet unknown.

About homing attack: "I wanted the user to enjoy an easy-to-play feeling by the attack sequence that this [homing attack] allows, and find the fun routes in the air."

Classic special stages make a return.

Hornet Badnik. (Forget his name. Not Buzzbomber) Shown in screen shots.

Other screenshot shows Sonic smash though a wall that becomes a bunch of checkered bricks.

Another screenshot shows Sonic grabbing a handrail which goes across a wire. (Very Advance)XP

Not 3-D, but all CG pre-render.

Gamers will get classic "try again" ending if not successful at getting all emeralds. If you get all emeralds, you get cliffhanger ending for episode 2.

"If Sonic 4's return to form (there they go again.:lol ) is the Sonic experience you have been waiting 16 years for, then we strongly encourage you to try this."
So homing in on badniks as stepping stones? :/

The hornet badnik is buzzer from Sonic 2. It was in the leaked footage. Nice to hear about Tails and Knuckles.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Don't like the homing attack talk, I don't like that at all.

By "cast" he better mean Tails, Knuckles, and Metal Sonic only.

New attack? Meh.

Sonic...grabbing a goddamn handrail? Unless we're talking about the type of grabbing like in Flying Battery...fuck that shit.

I wonder how you get to the special stages.

Episode 2 better come soon after... And we also need info on shields people.

That's all...until next time!

Ten-Song

RobbieNick said:

Hooray, more bridges built entirely out of completely useless enemies...

All we need now to complement that is broken Light Speed Dash areas and way too much rail grinding.

Wrath2X said:

What? It's Episode I, what do you want?

AwakenedCloud said:
Don't really care about achievements, but this is stupid. I don't want to grind for lives in a Sonic game.

Then don't. Keep your pride in exchange for the 25 points.

If it saves lives, you'll probably eventually accumulate that over time anyway.

wRATH2x

Banned
Kulock said:
What? It's Episode I, what do you want?
Cliffhangers are my biggest pet peeve lately, watching too much Prison Break would do that to a person. Also this means the game is most likely focusing on story, which is a huge "DO NOT WANT"

wRATH2x

Banned
Scullibundo said:
And people wondered why others were getting their panties in a twist over the inclusion of the homing attack.
Yeah new Sega implanting something new over classic Sonic, it must work!

goldenpp72

Wrath2X said:
Cliffhangers are my biggest pet peeve lately, watching too much Prison Break would do that to a person. Also this means the game is most likely focusing on story, which is a huge "DO NOT WANT"

Whatever will we do waiting for the story of sonic 4 episode 2! Im on the edge of my seat.

wRATH2x

Banned
goldenpp72 said:
Whatever will we do waiting for the story of sonic 4 episode 2! Im on the edge of my seat.
Will Sonic finally admit that he loves Amy but he doesn't want to get close to her cause everyone who gets close to him becomes a robot and Tails!

RobbieNick

Have you ever thought that since they're going with the classic theme. the story will play out without words? Just like in Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 and Knuckles?

Ten-Song

RobbieNick said:
Have you ever thought that since they're going with the classic theme. the story will play out without words? Just like in Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 and Knuckles?

I would love to assume that the game will play out that way, but considering what they've done to the style and gameplay, it's fair game to assume they won't be traditional about story, either. At best, I expect a lot of still 2D cut outs blabbing text at one another needlessly between acts, at worst... well, I suppose as long as it manages to avoid being Sonic '06, it still won't have the worst story in the series.

Brashnir

Ten-Song said:
Hooray, more bridges built entirely out of completely useless enemies...

All we need now to complement that is broken Light Speed Dash areas and way too much rail grinding.

AKA "Here, let us control Sonic for you, since we can't be bothered to design a decently-navigable level."

wRATH2x

Banned
RobbieNick said:
Why do we have to give Sega a pass? They're guilty till proven innocent.

Sciz

Black_Ice said:
Sonic...grabbing a goddamn handrail? Unless we're talking about the type of grabbing like in Flying Battery...fuck that shit.
Grabbing on to zip lines and dangling handholds is nothing new for the series.

RobbieNick said:

The advance and rush games used words, and that is what appears to be classic sonic in Sega's definition.

Sanjuro

1txaac.gif

Fox

Banned
SecretBonusPoint said:
That completely horizontal grab wire looks really interactive and fun! As does "air paths" of homing attacking!

Sonic Advance 4 completely confirmed.

the horizontal wires were introduced in sonic 3, launch base zone.

Aspiring

So do we know how its going to be handled? In that i mean, will everytime we want to play will i have to say, load up episode 1 if i feel like playing one level, and than episode 3 if i want to play another, or will each episode just tack on to the first, so that its one big file? Hope its like that.

Ten-Song

SecretBonusPoint said:
That completely horizontal grab wire looks really interactive and fun! As does "air paths" of homing attacking!

Sonic Advance 4 completely confirmed.

The grab wire doesn't strike me as something awful to have, as there have been things like that implemented in the older Sonic games.

The useless homing attack friendly enemy bridges though? Yeah, fuck that noise, there's absolutely no goddamn reason for that shit to be in any Sonic game.

I think what I hate about it most is the lazyness of it. In the classics, each level had it's gimmicks, and they made sense. Wires and and such forth in Launch Base Zone made sense, but in Emerald Hill Zone 2.0? Not so much. I also just don't be trust that they won't be used as obstacles but just ways to keep that BREAK NECK SPEED up.

The fact that everything from this game is going to be something entirely recycled just makes it feel more like a fan effort than anything.

Zen

Banned
RobbieNick said:

Since the director basically confirms that we can expect to see Tails/Knuckles playable in subsequent episodes, how much do people want to bet that they'll replicate the functionality of the Sonic&Knuckles/Sonic 3 lock on stuff? If you own Sonic The Hedgehog 4 Episode II you can retroactively play and Knuckles or Tails in Episode I?

That would be neat, and add value to owning all the episodes.

Depending on when this interview was done, it could mean that they're aware of the reception that the alpha footage got?

Maybe that's being too hopeful.

RobbieNick

Some more info...

While Sonic 4 will have shields, Episode 1 will only include the one hit shield. Just enough to help get your rings to the end of the stage.

Izuka says the reason they went episodic is that the game is too big to smaller hard drives (Wii and iPhone likely?) to fit in all at once and he didn't see players paying $60 for a 2-D Sonic game on disc. (Hellllooo. New Super Mario Bros Wii anyone?!!)

[Nintex]

RobbieNick said:
Some more info...

While Sonic 4 will have shields, Episode 1 will only include the one hit shield. Just enough to help get your rings to the end of the stage.

Izuka says the reason they went episodic is that the game is too big to smaller hard drives (Wii and iPhone likely?) to fit in all at once and he didn't see players paying $60 for a 2-D Sonic game on disc. (Hellllooo. New Super Mario Bros Wii anyone?!!)
So after the lead programmer/designer/director/head of Sonic Team ran off to Square-Enix after he finished Sonic Unleashed, does that mean that Takashi Iizuka picked up the Sonic Team torch? Makes me wonder what the rest of Sonic Team is up to(from Black Knight and Unleashed to a downloadable game with programming aid from Dimps).

Zen

Banned
RobbieNick said:
Some more info...

To be fair... New Super Mario Bros is Mario, and Sonic is... Sonic. Maybe pricing it at $50 or $40 could have worked better than $60.

Although a retail release proper 2D Sonic game could be successful.

Top Bottom