• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 - Wii/PS3/360; downloadable episodic release - [Update: $15?]

RobbieNick said:
Some more info...

While Sonic 4 will have shields, Episode 1 will only include the one hit shield. Just enough to help get your rings to the end of the stage.

Izuka says the reason they went episodic is that the game is too big to smaller hard drives (Wii and iPhone likely?) to fit in all at once and he didn't see players paying $60 for a 2-D Sonic game on disc. (Hellllooo. New Super Mario Bros Wii anyone?!!)

To be fair, Nintendo doesn't have to pay itself royalty fees. Add to this, Sonic has a bad rep these days, and people, especially the core PS360 players, believe 2d should be relegated to Digital Distribution w/ $10-$20 pricetag. So, the not seeing players paying $60 is true. They probably wouldn't even pay $40 on the PS360. Ideal pricepoint for something 2d these days for optimum sales is around the $25-30 mark.

.la1n

RobbieNick said:
Some more info...

While Sonic 4 will have shields, Episode 1 will only include the one hit shield. Just enough to help get your rings to the end of the stage.

Izuka says the reason they went episodic is that the game is too big to smaller hard drives (Wii and iPhone likely?) to fit in all at once and he didn't see players paying $60 for a 2-D Sonic game on disc. (Hellllooo. New Super Mario Bros Wii anyone?!!)

I actually would have liked to have seen a retail release, I'm one of those people that likes having hard copies of games if I can help it but I see what he's saying here. We'll see how it all turns out. I think doing it this way may alienate some sales they could have grabbed from smaller kids whose parents buy their games in store and usually don't even understand what digital downloadable games are.

Not saying Sonic should be geared towards such a young audience because we know that ends in failure but that was always kinda the appeal of the old school sonic, he could be enjoyed by all age groups just like mario.

RobbieNick said:

Izuka, i'm sorry i won't give you my 42 euros i would have spent for a retail copy of Sonic 4....

Moor-Angol said:
Izuka, i'm sorry i won't give you my 42 euros i would have spent for a retail copy of Sonic 4....
Still the possibility that there will be a complete collection release once all episodes are out, would be silly not to do so.

Diablohead said:
Still the possibility that there will be a complete collection release once all episodes are out, would be silly not to do so.

Those who dissected the official website even found hits regarding such a thing, as there are "Pre-Order" buttons stashed in the code, or something (but you can't pre-order digital content...)

ShadiWulf

DISCLAIMER: I have no idea what the following post means... just felt like making this for some reason =P

icametons.gif

See the rest here:
http://i47.tinypic.com/aujevk.png

RobbieNick said:
he didn't see players paying $60 for a 2-D Sonic game on disc. (Hellllooo. New Super Mario Bros Wii anyone?!!)

I can understand why he would feel this way. After all, this has been the stigma against 2D games for a long, long time now.

However, I would bet anything he's absolutely wrong.

You make a full-length brand-new 2D Sonic game for home consoles, slap 'Sonic 4' on the cover, and you are going to sell a shit ton of units.

Sega1991 said:
Those who dissected the official website even found hits regarding such a thing, as there are "Pre-Order" buttons stashed in the code, or something (but you can't pre-order digital content...)
Ya think I didn't know that? :p

OnPoint

ShadiWulf said:
DISCLAIMER: I have no idea what the following post means... just felt like making this for some reason =P

Careful. Could be considered image spam.

You also have a hotlink on there.

Ten-Song

Sega1991 said:

Steam.

SonicMegaDrive said:
I can understand why he would feel this way. After all, this has been the stigma against 2D games for a long, long time now.

However, I would bet anything he's absolutely wrong.

You make a full-length brand-new 2D Sonic game for home consoles, slap 'Sonic 4' on the cover, and you are going to sell a shit ton of units.

Absolutely. I really hope a lot of people at Sega are kicking their selves in the asses right now after making the choice to go episodic, and watching New Super Mario Bros. continue to be a sales juggernaut.

Iknos

HeresSomeWeapons said:
I think the point here is that your joke was obviously not very good. The fact that you've spent 3 posts now trying to explain it doesn't help it any.

I wish someone said that earlier instead of beating around the bush.

Scullibundo said:
And people wondered why others were getting their panties in a twist over the inclusion of the homing attack.

Homing attack.

Rails.

This is sounding more like Advance/Rush everyday.

Brashnir said:
AKA "Here, let us control Sonic for you, since we can't be bothered to design a decently-navigable level."

That's a good way of putting it.

RobbieNick

Diablohead said:

I can almost guarantee it. SEGA wouldn't waste an opportunity like that. Especially when a good portion of the Wii base rarely uses the shop channel.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Lijik said:
"Sonic the Hedgehog 4 or Against: The Official Thread of Huelen in Green-eyed Heaven"
:lol FOR!

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
bluebird said:
DURRRRR IT'S COOL TO HATE SONIC 4 DERP.
Not cool, but reasonable.

bluebird said:
Homing attack was never needed in sonic 1-3k and rails were just an overdone gimmick which stuck with sega since they made sonic adventure 2, it's not hard to bop along badniks by holding down the jump button in a regular sonic 2d game.

Resilient

It would be reasonable if there actually were rails in the game. Last I checked of that screen shot, that's a pulley, not a rail. And it's been said, but that was introduced in Sonic 3. To go even further, we've seen that picture a while ago when the first teaser was shown and nobody had a meltdown back then. Making mountains out of mole hills seems to be this threads specialty :lol

RagnarokX

bluebird said:
It would be reasonable if there actually were rails in the game. Last I checked of that screen shot, that's a pulley, not a rail. And it's been said, but that was introduced in Sonic 3. To go even further, we've seen that picture a while ago when the first teaser was shown and nobody had a meltdown back then. Making mountains out of mole hills seems to be this threads specialty :lol
The pulleys in launch base zone required you to jump and grab them, at which point they would zip you across. You could change direction and everything and they were a unique mechanic for that level. The ones in Angel Island Zone are better examples, but still those were level-specific.

These appear to be more akin to the above head rails in Sonic Advance 2 and the pulleys in Sonic Rush, which are automatically grabbed when you run into them and require speed to get all the way across, which could imply a more speed focused level design like the games it has appeared in. They act like above-head rails. Based on their generic design, they probably appear in multiple levels as well.
2nlztaa.jpg

Ten-Song

Baiano19 said:
Come on guys, just because they released Sonic 2006 in a pre-alpha stage they won't do this again... right?

I'm still not quite sure what bothers me most about the video. The awful gameplay, or the absolutely horrific animations. The game seriously looks like some cheap Donkey Kong Country knock off from the 90's. :/

bluebird said:

And you prove your point by stooping to an even lower level of argumentation? You fit in this thread quite fine.

I'm sorry the battered Sonic fans are hurting your feelings with the paranoia, but if you want to take the wait and see approach, maybe you should you know...actually do that.

Catalix

RobbieNick

Good news!! According to Nintendo Power, the Eggman classic boss is a bit of a ruse. When you beat him enough he goes nuts and changes his tactics. There's some other info from the game at Sonic Stadium with more info coming up soon.

RagnarokX

RobbieNick said:
Good news!! According to Nintendo Power, the Eggman classic boss is a bit of a ruse. When you beat him enough he goes nuts and changes his tactics. There's some other info from the game at Sonic Stadium with more info coming up soon.
That Endri guy said that when you beat that boss it turns into a chase sequence boss.

Anth0ny

The Nintendo Power article was interesting. It looks like 4 zones with 3 acts and a boss stage for Episode 1 is confirmed, though =(

RobbieNick said:

That's good to hear.

Anth0ny said:
The Nintendo Power article was interesting. It looks like 4 zones with 3 acts and a boss stage for Episode 1 is confirmed, though =(

Doubt it. There's still E.G.G. Station Zone. 4 zones with three acts isn't enough to be able to get the 99 lives or more achievement unless you collect every single ring out there and I'm not sure 4 zones fits in with the collect all Chaos Emeralds and Super Sonic theme. 7 zones or so makes more sense, one per level.

Destructoid Uses Neogaf and Sonic Retro for Article Ideas

Some of it's funny (green eyes argument), some of it's not-so funny (Sonic Rush similarities are there if you look for them). I see Jim Sterling wants to be the Bill O' Reilly/Keith Olbermann of gaming journalists.

RobbieNick

Anth0ny said:

Why the sad face? That's 12 levels! As much as you get from one of the Genesis games.

Zen

Banned
The scans show what look like a variation on the 'homing attack enemies to cross a section' except it isn't a botomless pit (I think) and the enemy pattern is descending.

Honestly what I really care about is that they do as a producer says and won't have any 'Little Big Planet' floaty physics in the final release.

Zen

Banned
Well the good news is that said comment probably came as a reaction to fans opinion of the 'leaked' alpha footage, and means there's a decent chance that the 'floaty' physics in the alpha footage will at least be toned down, regardless of it the developers originally intended to do so.

Fox

Banned
so, long story short:

- sonic 4 episode 1 is just a prologue

- sonic and eggman are the only characters in the game, excepts from badniks and animals. tails and knuckles will arrive in ep.2 ?

- classic level design and gameplay. something inspired by the best of sonic 2. this will be the real sonic the hedgehog 4, not sonic advance 4 or sonic rush 3

- alternate ending with all emeralds collected will connect the story with episode 2

- 4 zones x 3 acts + boss battles (but achievements revealed egg station zone. maybe this is the zone for the alternate ending, like doomsday zone from sonic & knuckles

- jun senoue as sound composer/director

- classic green hill boss in splash hill attacks with new patterns (360° swing and ground smash) after three hits

- possible new skills in the next episodes

Top Bottom