• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 - Wii/PS3/360; downloadable episodic release - [Update: $15?]

Rlan said:
Gonna give the demo a shot, at the very least, and try as I might to get a download code for it :p

In terms of other Sonic games, Sonic Colors DS is definitely getting picked up, since I really enjoy the Rush games in their own way. Sonic Colors Wii is definitely intreiging me, but like Unleashed it looks awesome, but could totally feel like shit once I actually play it.

That's really the spirt most should have. Try it at the very least.

pmj

celebi23 said:
*Über OCD fans:
Obsess over every small detail & want every Sonic game to be 100% like the classics
Lots of shit in this post, but this is my favorite part, where you imply that what people are obsessing over are small details and that if Sonic 4 isn't 100% like the classics it's at least in the ballpark.

IrishNinja

Iknos said:
No. Out of principle I won't.

I just don't want Sega getting the idea that Sonic fans will buy anything with "Sonic" on it. Even if the title is "Sonic 4".

:lol i'm gonna buy 3 copies, in hopes that they skip episode 2 and just call it "Sonic 5".

Firestorm

Yeah, I'm not really making a statement or anything. It just doesn't look fun enough for me to pay $5 or more and then spend time on. The PAX demo didn't do it any favours. If they changed it up since then, maybe they should have shown that.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Segata Sanshiro said:
Just out of pure morbid curiosity, are any of you old-school guys who are feeling super-burned by this game buying it?

I'll buy it, but I don't expect it to be anything great. Hell, I don't even expect it to be very good at all, as it seems to just be Sonic Advance HD, and Sonic Advance was nothing but mediocre (at best).

Zen

Banned
I'm an oldschool Sonic fan, although I guess I don't fit the criteria of being burned by this. Regardless, I think I'll get it, but it depends on a few things. One of course will be the price, if its above 9.99 (and I feel that 9.99 is pretty steep for 4 some areas) I'll probably wait until it goes on sale (as Sega/Sony are pretty good about updating their specials area on PSN).

I'll be playing the demo, though. But I like what I've seen, the chances of me buying are pretty good.

Peff

7echnicolor said:
Will buy even if $15. Though I think $10 would have been better.

$5? Seriously?

It was the price the game had on Partnernet when it leaked and many people assumed it would be final, but it was just a placeholder

Lijik

No fucking way they're pricing it at 15 bucks, thats fucking suicide especially on the wii.
The most expensive platformer on the service and its only episode 1? Get the fuck outta here :lol

ShadiWulf

GoldandBlue said:
For 4 stages and bosses reused from the old games? Yes.
There is some pretty interesting looking stages now that aren't exactly rehashes due to the delay. I would say $10 is a fair price. $15 would be good if they fixed the physics and uncurling, but they didn't. $10 is the highest Sonic 4 Episode I should be.

ILikeFeet

Banned
Hero of Legend said:
20th Anniversary game = Sonic 4 Complete Set on a disc for all platforms! You heard it here first folks!

boo, I want a new Sonic for the 3DS >:[ (we'll get on before the 20th anniversary though)

Sega1991 said:
I have to buy it to review it.

If it wasn't for that... well, given the fact that "$10-$15" was apparently tossed around at PAX or whatever as the pricing for this game? No fuckin' way.

Edit: If it was like, $5? Yeah, sure, that's cheap enough where four zones would probably be worth it. You don't have to do much to be worth $5. But $10? For $10, I could probably buy one of the original Genesis games on XBLA, with more levels and classic gameplay. And $15? Sega's been awfully greedy with XBL pricing lately (See: minuscule Sega All-Stars Racing DLC that costs more than some XBLA games), and if they seriously think Sonic 4 is worth $15, fuck them sideways.
Hah I am glad to hear that from you, too many people out there seem to complain about things but buy it anyway because it might turn out good, or it's only £10 and so on. Personally I refuse to pay for something which so far we have been lied too about and shat on, sega started on the wrong foot and even now after months of delay they are not adjusting stages, removing the unwanted boosters or correcting much about the physics because it will break current stage designs, well no duh I thought you people at sega were going to spend 3 months fixing that shit not adding another layer to it.

Don't fall for the launch day buy, any of you, let this thing rot on the servers and let sege know how far they fucked up with "sonic the hedgehog 4", remember, momentum is earned.

ShadiWulf said:
So apparently according to someone in Sonic Stadium Comments section; Nintendo power says the game is $15 dollars.

even if it's just a lie, SEGA should know this isn't a good price. Chances are it's not a lie.

Leave your feedback to SEGA in this thread. They will see it!
http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?t=345751
oh lawd :psyduck:

fucking shit, this will still sell well due to name alone, fuck!

Diablohead said:
Hah I am glad to hear that from you, too many people out there seem to complain about things but buy it anyway because it might turn out good, or it's only £10 and so on. Personally I refuse to pay for something which so far we have been lied too about and shat on, sega started on the wrong foot and even now after months of delay they are not adjusting stages, removing the unwanted boosters or correcting much about the physics because it will break current stage designs, well no duh I thought you people at sega were going to spend 3 months fixing that shit not adding another layer to it.
Don't fall for the launch day buy, any of you, let this thing rot on the servers and let sege know how far they fucked up with "sonic the hedgehog 4", remember, momentum is earned.

But they did readjust some of the stages...

Sean

Banned
$15 would be crazy, I doubt Sega is that dumb. Hopefully they go for mass market pricing like Capcom did with Dead Rising Case Zero. Make it $5 on consoles and $2.99 on iPhone/touch.

If each episode is gonna be 15 bucks I'll probably just wait to rent the inevitable disc version.

TheOGB said:
Yes. Two of them.
Two of the worst offending meme worthy levels. That's a pretty decent bit of progress.

If this game is any more than 10 dollars I'll probably wait till a price drop or deal of the week sale. It's an episodic game with little not no forseeable replay value after the game is completed. Any more than 10 dollars would really put me off.

Ruby said that they are extremely limited in what they can fix and edit because it will break all the default stages and acts made, remaking two shitty acts into proper acts has taken 3 months? and we also know 99% that ep2 has yet to fully start.

They are not removing boosters all over the stages

They are not fixing the way sonic moves in the air (let go of direction and you will stop suddenly on the horizontal axis)

They are not changing sonic's floaty jump

But they did add a map screen! and a new intro animation! all is forgiven sega!

I think you guys hoping this game will "rot" on the store are going to be in for a shock. It's going to sell boatloads because it's going "retro" and will ride on the nostalgia coattails of other recent 2d sequels as of late. Even at $15 (sadly). And I have to agree, most won't notice the inaccurate physics at all. I know some people personally that are blindly going to buy it just because it's Sonic 4 and it's old school like that. They were also pissed it got delayed too.

That said, there is every reason to believe they will fix the physics in episode 2. I mean they changed 2 entire stages from the complaints, so why not physics when they start from the ground up? It was unrealistic this time seeing as it would physically affect every inch of this game. I'd rather they go in designing ep 2 with the proper physics in mind instead of a rush job fix for a game it wasn't designed for.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Is this even coming out anymore? Wtf? The beginning of the topic is like sixty years old and has people talking about green eyes.

Yeah it's obvious this game isn't gonna be Genesis quality. But with this and Colors, the franchise looks like it's headed in the right direction I guess. I'll take it.

jman2050

Diablohead said:
Ruby said that they are extremely limited in what they can fix and edit because it will break all the default stages and acts made

You realize I said this exact thing six months ago as to why none of what we saw was getting "fixed", right?

Zen

Banned
It shouldn't though. Things that fans highlighted, like sonic being able to stand on a sharp slope and not fall back down, would not effect level design. Changing how button inputs effected trajectory might, but the levels we've seen so far certainly do not rely on you being able to make Sonic stop on a dime in mid air. Likewise simply remaking levels to include less boost pads, while keeping the existing physics system wouldn't have broken the acts in any way.

Swapping in the complete Sonic 3&K physics would break the game, obviously, but that was neither here nor there when they announced the delay, and no one should have reasonably expected that.

Ixzion

*Über OCD fans:
Obsess over every small detail & want every Sonic game to be 100% like the classics

I can only speak for myself, but...

Yes, I do want every Sonic game to be 100% like the classics. You know, good. Perhaps even modern classics.

If Nintendo can do it twice in a generation with Galaxy/2, then Sega can, too.

But then again, Sega does what Nintendon't (I know it's not clever, but I had to).

Yuck, $15 is definitely way past what I'll spend on almost any DD title. Not surprised, because it seems to be the new standard price point on XBLA and PSN, but still... bleh. There are so many better things I can get below, at, or slightly above that price.

celebi23

Ixzion said:
I can only speak for myself, but...

Yes, I do want every Sonic game to be 100% like the classics. You know, good. Perhaps even modern classics.

If Nintendo can do it twice in a generation with Galaxy/2, then Sega can, too.

But then again, Sega does what Nintendon't (I know it's not clever, but I had to).

That's why I said there are mainly 3 groups. It's not an exact science :lol With any grouping, there are likely to be some overlapping. Sega being pretty incompetent definitely plays some part in this.

Novella

Banned
Well, it's been agonizingly clear for awhile that it's probably impossible to make a good 3D Sonic game, so I'd say we're way overdue for a throwback.

Diablohead said:
They are not fixing the way sonic moves in the air (let go of direction and you will stop suddenly on the horizontal axis)

Oh god, really? So when people said it doesn't have momentum based gameplay, it literally has no momentum. That's basic physics ARGH. >_< Why are they screwing up basic well known things like this? It's going to feel horrible.

Novella said:
Well, it's been agonizingly clear for awhile that it's probably impossible to make a good 3D Sonic game, so I'd say we're way overdue for a throwback.

No, Sonic Unleashed was good imo, and Sonic Colors looks like it's going to be a good game too.

Novella

Banned
@PantherAttacks Your avatar just made me realize that if I want people to buy my cutting-edge technology, then I shouldn't make my logo look like a cave painting.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Segata Sanshiro said:
Yuck, $15 is definitely way past what I'll spend on almost any DD title. Not surprised, because it seems to be the new standard price point on XBLA and PSN, but still... bleh. There are so many better things I can get below, at, or slightly above that price.
You are a bad person.

Lonely1 said:
You are a bad person.
Not really, just a matter of economics. There are all manner of games with anywhere from four times to forty times the amount of content of most DD titles that I can buy for under $15, and when I'm done with them, I can sell them back to a shop and get half my money back.

Novella said:
Was Sonic Unleashed the one where he turns into a werehog or something?

Yeah.. but I still had a lot of fun with the game.
The day stages were brilliant and the night levels were tolerable, especially fun when fully leveled up.

Novella

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Not really, just a matter of economics. There are all manner of games with anywhere from four times to forty times the amount of content of most DD titles that I can buy for under $15, and when I'm done with them, I can sell them back to a shop and get half my money back.
Did you buy Portal?

Top Bottom