• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Rlan

It's actually quite awesome that Yuji Naka seems to be popping back into a few Sonic things this year, been a while.

Falk

that puzzling face
That's just a really popular lick/melodic figure.

Sonic music uses it a -lot-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0qBZwvLQFY#t=1m12s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeRmrKloSFQ#t=23s (lol)

But the OCD in me has to point out that Angel Island's melody are a couple of notes off from being the exact same lick (4 1' 4' 3' 1' 5), unlike all the other examples (5 1' 4' 3' 1' 5) incl. the Yu-Gi-OH one. I would posit there's no intentional link there.

There's only so many different possible permutations of music, and music of a certain genre (in this case, Japanese-composed game music) tends to run into even more collisions than a completely random sampling of existing music.

bonus: not the same lick (obviously) but https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krDxhnaKD7Q

Given enough time and motivation someone could probably build a similar montage of that exact lick or close matches (so incl. Angel Island) and end up with triple digit instances.

Sciz

That's just a really popular lick/melodic figure.

I used to be a lot more into the whole "X kinda sounds like Y" stuff, but the way you've been shutting it down in every thread it comes up in the last few years has been pretty eye opening.

That and Hard Times' existence nuking all of the old "Ice Cap is totally this MJ track guys" discussion.

Are there any notable cases of someone making a "kinda sounds like" argument stick in court? I know there's been a lot of successful cases over blatant sampling, but the Ghostbusters/Huey Lewis settlement is the only one I can think of based on stylistic similarity.

Falk

that puzzling face
It gets even more complicated when lawsuits get involved, since it differs from country to country. (Try suing someone in China for example)

But honestly, except for specific cases, I'm not 'shutting down' the comparisons in the sense that I'm saying there was no intentional link per-se. Most of the time (recently in that FFXIV-powerman 5000 thread, for example) I'm saying that in my professional experience, it could be either way - either the influence is there, or it isn't, because I've seen enough cases (and been the instigator of some) where it is or isn't, and the people declaring with absolute certainty one way or another are talking out their ass. Incidentally, the 'defo copied' crowd also tends to be a lot more vocal/abrasive, for whatever reason.

I mean, I'm not exactly a musician, but I dunno, that's a lot longer than just a simple "lick" if you ask me. When I think of a "guitar lick" I think of like a three note thing, not a multi-measure melody.

That being said, I don't think it was an intentional copy. It does go its own way after a certain point, it's just really weird how it nails that one part exactly, which is why I want to know the composer.

Falk

that puzzling face
It's six notes, which is just twice the information of two notes :V

And "The Lick" The YouTube Video is between 7 and 9 notes, for comparison.

Village

Ahem, A couple things.

1) I just say a very well animated, and very dark and funny animation about sonic and tails, tails being a psychopath.

2) Sonic and Micheal Jackson and Bill Clinton, Eggman and Roosevelt. Inlfuences. Is there any other external human influence for any other sonic characters? Is there any that you think might exist based on things you observed?

Village

As an artist I can tell you that everything is based on Dragon Ball Z

Everything
So everything, is based on superman then.

So everything is based of jesus.

Knuckles returned on the sunday like "flexing muscles reverses death"
I think Shadow and Silver might be based on Sonic.
I think shadow might be based on jordan, to be for real, for real. If you wanna hear that explination.

Psxphile

At some point in the past I was convinced Uekawa based Rouge's design on a popular Latina actress at the time, probably Jennifer Lopez. I remember coming across a written interview where he stated as much, but for the life of me I never found that article again. Maybe it never existed, but something put that idea in my head and it remained there for a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrpglqYeQBc

LdPNsEX.png

Oh dear, it appears my reliable music man of youtube has gone mad.
On the other hand, the moment when you recognise what this has turned into almost makes it worthwhile.

So... anyone gonna make a thread about that sonic and mario thing?

I thought we knew about it already? Even before the Direct leak.

It made me sad when they said "there's a twist", they showed the characters, and it was just "There's an extra event or two we didn't do before." I was wondering if other series were going to guest-start, All-Stars/MK8-style. Or if they were going to actually finally put them together in a platformer for at least a mini-game, or something.

Top Bottom