• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks the fact the characters have fingers but not toes is really annoying. I mean, Sonic characters are almost never in sandals or barefoot (exceptions being Big, Tikal, and SA1 promo art for Amy and Tails for the former; Ray falling off a cliff in SegaSonic, Chip, and possibly Darkspine Sonic for the latter), but nevertheless!

Mildly annoying Archie rolled this oddity into their canon with the reboot, although IIRC only Muttski and some of the fish people display it, since everybody else who would have instead gained shoes in the transition.

It's always puzzled me why people are bugged by this. So it's perfectly fine for Sonic to technically be a cyclops and if anatomically correct
his belly button would be his penis
, but him not having toes is taboo for some reason.

It's ok for NiGHTS though (whose character designer had a hand in the art design in the Adventure games), but that's because no one cares about NiGHTS.

Destiny is only good with a fireteam that also jokes about the game and so you can just talk shit and laugh about the design decisions. We'll dominate an entire team, trading super usage cuz of the motes of light system, camping in one spot, and ask, "...how did this game take 5 years to make"

You play it without really thinking about, talking about other video games we can't wait for, or our top 50 favorite video games. even though everything after the top 3 is random awesome games(included below, spoilers)

1. Chrono Trigger
2. Resident Evil 4
3. Half-Life 2 and its episodes
4. Donkey Kong Country 2
5. Viewtiful Joe
6. Bayonetta
7. Ninja Gaiden Black
8. Star Fox 64
9. Metal Slug 3/X
10. Doom
11. Sonic 3 and Knuckles
12. Street Fighter 4
13. Rayman Origins
14. Team Fortress 2
15. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
16. The Last of Us
17. Sin & Punishment: Star Successor
18. Time Crisis 2
19. Super Mario Galaxy 2
20. Halo 2/3
21. Streets of Rage Remake
22. God of War 2
23. Super Smash Bros Melee
24. F-Zero GX
25. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
26. The Wonderful 101
27. Bionic Commando ReArmed
28. Portal 2
29. Mass Effect 2
30. Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
31. DoDonPachi
32. Dynamite Headdy
33. Left 4 Dead 2
34. OutRun2
35. Yoshi's Island
36. Grim Fandango
37. Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations
38. Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal/Crack in Time
39. Journey
40. Contra 4
41. Suikoden II
42. Super Mario 3D World
43. Gears of War 3
44. Unreal Tournament 2004
45. Metroid: Zero Mission
46. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
47. Crazy Taxi
48. Strider 2
49. Batman: Arkham City
50. Pac-Man: Championship Edition (DX)

No question, Tropical Freeze. Maybe Bayo 2 can top it in J-pop excitement or Smash Bros' breadth, but Tropical Freeze is some next level shit

JC just expecting me to have 50 games neatly listed to throw into this here thread, I'm having a bit of a moment just compiling in my head whatever my top 10 is let alone the next 40. Maybe I should start keeping a record of my faves with no defined order outside of my Owl approved top tier recommendations.
Well in any case I'll almost certainly be bored enough later to throw something together.

I can however easily answer my front runner soundtrack of the year choice, if you somehow guessed it was Tropical Freeze than you were right, you could give yourself a pat on the back but that'd almost be like rewarding yourself for predicting the arrival of a sunrise in the morning.
Elsewhere Layton vs Ace Attorney is pretty slick with a nice variety of remixes and new tracks that has this sorta orchestrated medieval vibe to it while still reflecting the musical quirks of both series, I'm quite a fan so it currently takes second.
Beyond these two though, well I feel like I haven't come across much else of note, partly because this year has been sorta slim pickings for games in general.
Both Danganronpa games are like the sort of soundtracks I find perfectly fine and fitting in game but not something I'd listen to outside of it bar a few tracks, I find Takada's work on No More Heroes falls into the same spot.
Lords of Shadow 2 has that almost inherent inconsistency that comes with movie style soundtracks of being great at some points and then entirely forgettable elsewhere.
Mario Kart 8 is Mario Kart so i'm more surprised that there are a few tracks that stand out since the series post 64 has been slacking something fierce on the music front, live instrumentation helps a lot but it still lacks that extra kick across the board.
Kirby Triple Deluxe is just flat out underwhelming for me with only a small handful of new themes that stack up to other entries, I feel as if I got better music out of a recent play of Dreamland 3 in world 1 alone.
Then there's Motoi Sakuraba in cruise control, I can't remember anything about Dark Souls 2 off the top of my head, probably just boss themes comprised of a lot of booming male chorus and dramatic strings. Then his Mario Golf work was like the expy tracks from his standard JRPG soundtracks, still better than Tales of course.

I think that covers most of the new stuff I played this year, still time for more music mind you. Still waiting on that UK Shovel Knight release, it'll be delayed into 2015 at this rate alongside JC's game of the forever Captain Toad.
Oh yeah, there's a new Sonic soundtrack, except I expect Boom will join Dark Brotherhood in bucking the consistently good music trend within the series.

Regiruler

1. Kid Icarus Uprising
2. The Wonderful 101
3. Sin & Punishment: Star Successor
4. Sonic Colors (Wii)
5. Shovel Knight
6. Metal Gear Rising Revengeance
7. Wario Land 2
8. Space Invaders Extreme 2
9. Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
10. Super Mario Galaxy
11. Sonic Rush Adventure

Can't be bothered to finish or to order properly. I'm too fickle.

EDIT: Shit I knew I was forgetting something

Tizoc

Sonic Adventure 1 got an update on Steam
I just got a prompt to dl a 40 MB patch for the game. Could just be another phase of getting stuff ready for the full release.

UPDATE: New configuration tool, with resolution changer that WORKS, FXAA support, and what appears to be the ability to configure 360 controllers however you want, which, I don't think was in the old configuration tool?

As for game itself, it's still boxed in (although the box feels smaller-ish), but the game now seems to actually look like it's in the selected resolution, as opposed to before, where the game image was blurry due to the game itself still being rendered at a low resolution.

UPDATE 2: Achievements are working. However, it looks like they AREN'T retroactive. I had to start a new file and unlock Tails in order to get the achievement for it. I feel sorry for anyone who has all the emblems...

Anth0ny

I actually made a list last month during a slow day at work:

1. Majora’s Mask
2. Ocarina of Time
3. Super Smash Bros Melee
4. Super Mario 64
5. Banjo Kazooie
6. Pokemon GSC
7. Pokemon RBY
8. Resident Evil 4
9. Super Mario World
10. Super Metroid
11. Sonic 2
12. Vice City
13. MGS3
14. THPS 3/THPS 2
15. Metal Gear Solid
16. Super Smash Bros
17. Diddy Kong Racing
18. Wind Waker
19. Link Between Worlds
20. Metroid Prime
21. Megaman 2
22. Sonic 3 and Knuckles
23. Donkey Kong Country 2
24. Dark Souls
25. Super Mario Galaxy 2
26. Super Mario Galaxy
27. Star Fox 64
28. Super Street Fighter II Turbo
29. Symphony of the Night
30. Chrono Trigger
31. Zelda II
32. Link’s Awakening
33. Tetris DS
34. Super Castlevania IV
35. Yoshi’s Island
36. Super Mario Sunshine
37. REmake
38. Mario Kart 64
39. Halo: CE
40. Wario Ware GBA

I'm probably missing some obvious games but whatever

ShadiWulf

was locked out of my gaf account for a while. good to be back!

have you all seen the SEGA TGS page? Not much love for Sonic Boom on it. New Miku Project teased though.

You guys should be listing reasons for your top 50 instead of being like hit-and-runGAF with those lists.

Don't make me get Vice President Schala in here to crack the whip.

Kart94

Banned
i don't know about games in general, but i can detail some of my top favorite kart racers or fighters.

for Fighters

1: Super Smash Bros Brawl
2: Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3
3: Super Smash Bros Melee
4: Marvel vs. Capcom 2
5: Tatsunoko vs. Capcom
6: Darkstalkers 3
7: Pocket Fighter
8: Capcom vs. SNK 2
9: Tekken 6
10: Marvel vs. Capcom 1

Kart racers

1: Mario Kart 8
2: Crash Team Racing
3: Mario Kart 7
4: Sonic and Sega All-stars Racing
5: Mario Kart Double Dash
6: Blur
7: Modnation Racers
8: Mickey Mouse Speedway USA
9: Looney Tunes Space Race
10: Little Big Planet Karting

*no more than 3 Mario Kart games as that would be unfair and make me look like a Mario Kart Fanboy *girl actually*

Falk

that puzzling face
My music and game (and game music) lists can never be made. I'm a fickle person and it changes depending what day you ask me.

Harmonix pulled me in for alpha Chroma test and there was a survey to fill out beforehand and it had something like "What genre of games do you play?"

And I realized my checklist looked something like

/ Action
/ FPS
/ Adventure
/ Strategy
/ RTS
/ MOBA
/ RPG
/ Music/Rhythm
_ Sports

and it looked like I was checking everything off just to heighten my chances of getting picked for alpha rofl

I think it's far better and more concise to have only a top 5. That way you can get a game that fits into each niche, without repeating similar games (like sequels),
Mine are (in no specific order):
Honorable Mention: ALBW
5.Shadow of The Colossus
4.Sonic 3 and Knuckles (it's one goddamn game ok)
3.Super Mario Galaxy
2.Halo: CE
1.Mass Effect 2

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You guys should be listing reasons for your top 50 instead of being like hit-and-runGAF with those lists.

Don't make me get Vice President Schala in here to crack the whip.
Why is it that when I keep trying to leave, you keep pulling me back in (even if it is maybe 2-3 posts every fortnight)?

But yeah, lists are fucking boring when they're just lists. I just want to know what you love about a game so much that you had to put it on a list? Lists are meaningless without writeups for anything. It was great when everyone listed their Top 10 games in the first thread with reasons. Y'all did good.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=460770&page=326
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=460770&page=327

But we also did it in the last thread where no one listed reasons because it was a one-off thing. :V

Top 50, I'd probably take maybe a line saying "brehs, this game is gud because kamiya told you to stop sucking at the game in a good way, pls play thx" or something. Because stuff takes long if you're not getting paid for it. But at least it shows that you care and that you're trying.

That's why list threads are always going to suck if no one puts effort into them. Even the VGM ones; I stopped reading them last year because they became playlists rather than a discussion. Booooooorrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnng.

That discussion board life. Either way, if it's 50 and if you're doing it for fun in this thread, just post whatever man. If it's 10 games, ya, you should probably post reasons. Don't let Beefy push ya around.

the big companies in particular have a hard time in letting go of their franchises, even if it would net them profit overall and they don't really have to put in a lot of work. if you have to know who, it's pretty much every major gaming company that's been around console gaming since the 80s.

i can't wait to play it. it's the editor's first game, so i want to see how they did (they're very concerned over the final product).

yes definitely stay tuned winky face. although shin hayarigami didn't seem to be that well received in japan among the public so i don't know about that one.
Definitely. And yeah, I don't think Hayarigami's coming out here. It doesn't seem like something anyone would put resources towards.

I ended up finishing up Danganronpa 2. It ironed itself out by the end, but there were a few rare spacing moments. I thought the prose was fine, otherwise. The issues are mostly things that could've gotten caught in QA. In the end, I thought the game was a good first start for the editor. :)

Yeah, a few companies have been asked for some games but sometimes they might be very familiar with a certain publisher and want to stick with them and only them, or they just don't want to let go. Some companies are just super-fickle.

was locked out of my gaf account for a while. good to be back!

have you all seen the SEGA TGS page? Not much love for Sonic Boom on it. New Miku Project teased though.
I did! I didn't think they'd promote that game a lot in Japan because it seems like something a JP company would just do. I kinda think it'd be a tougher sell over there, and we all know that Sonic games don't do as well over there, either!

Can't wait for new Miku project, though. Glad the games are getting more publicity worldwide lately, but I wonder how much money they're making from them.

What're your VG Soundtrack of the Year?
Mine atm is mainly DanganRonpa 2.
I have none so far. Problem is I've listened to these soundtracks in other years so I dunno what to even vote for and I feel like a lot of the soundtracks released this year don't match up to last year's.

Pretty sure when we do SotY, Americans will have a chance to vote Bravely Default but I haven't talked to Ghaleon about the rules just yet.

Kart94

Banned
to be quite fair, it is sometimes hard to know exactly why you think such and such is better than whatever is on the list.

Like i can't describe why i like Brawl more than Melee or why Marvel vs. Capcom 2 is higher on the list then Tatsunoko. *though i think the lowered speed of Tatsunoko and the annoyance of grinding through arcade mode is probably why* Pocket Fighter as a fighting game is probably weaker than Tekken 6, but i had more fun with it than Tekken 6 *in part because of Tekken 6's BS story mode*

Sometimes they can be a bit easy though. For my Mario kart choices. I believe that Mario kart 7 and 8 have the best tracks and i experienced less BS with the items than say Mario Kart Wii.

Lists can be hard to determine also since anything my mind could change on a particular game. I can be fickle with games at times.

(I hope i am making sense. i tend to just ramble on)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Is that so? Because you've already expressed why you like Game A and Game B and such. You don't need to compare rankings in your own list but just write why you like a game. It's not that hard. It's like writing a really really really easy first-year/12th grade paper to me because you're writing about something you like.

I guess I'll come back later tonight after I eat and study a bit to write up a Top 10 list. It should be cool.

Owl should get off his lazy perch and do a decked out list first, as it is I can do a brief descriptions in less than 50 words.

1. Chrono Trigger - A damn near perfect combination of Final Fantasy's epic adventure with Dragon Quest's simplicity. A distillation of everything the JRPG genre inspired, streamlined and polished to a sheen. Da best, nigga

2. Resident Evil 4 - Development hell left a game with so many ideas, Mikami had no choice to put in EVERYTHING. Resident Evil 4 is a relentless procession of fun. A game stuffed to bursting with form mutating ideas, onion peel area secrets, and unending alarm.

3. Half-Life 2 and its episodes - Gabe Newell said to his team the only way to follow up the original Half-Life was to, quite simply, make the greatest PC game ever. When experiencing the equivalent of the world's greatest cinematic thrill rides stitched together in one 20+ hour experience, he's got a pretty good argument that they succeeded. Special shoutouts to the incredible sound design, that persist even when you pause the game for maximum atmosphere and immersion.

4. Donkey Kong Country 2 - has the greatest secrets in platformer history, and has got to be in the running for most improved sequel to a game that came out just the year prior.

5. Viewtiful Joe - Hot pink super-sentai cinema infused with hardcore Nintendo game design. The clever combination of Speed-Up/Slow-Down/Zoom make players feel like Hollywood's biggest hero, inc. audience approving applause.

6. Bayonetta 1/2 - Playing Bayonetta is like sex in video game form. Its like dodging a tight bullet pattern in DoDonPanchi, its like parrying your opponent's super and quickly counting with your own in Third Strike, its like the first time you ran away from the whale in Sonic Adventure's Emerald Coast, its like playing Virtua Cop with both handguns.

7. Ninja Gaiden Black - What the sequels miss when they pile on bombast and bluster is NGB was an Action-ADVENTURE. That meant backtracking and interaction with the world that made it seem more than linear hallways filled with bad guys. That meant a bit of light puzzle solving and Temple of Doom-esque booby trap navigation. You do it right, it keeps the pacing varied and makes the visceral ninja combat stand out.

8. Star Fox 64 - A breathless sequence of Saturday matinee scenarios: dogfights and asteroid belts, giant mothership invasions and a train raid that plays like a bombastic sci-fi western, complete with a conductor with a southern drawl. Endlessly replayable, endlessly quotable, simultaneously breezy and breathtaking.

9. Metal Slug X/3 - Both titles sit in a similar place in my head, a place that makes me burst into superlatives about their peerless cartoon sprite animations, its well-balanced power-up system, its charming sense of humor among the gung-ho warfare. Metal Slug X took the original formula to its logical end point, and then Metal Slug 3 goes WELL past that, including a climax to end all climaxes.

10. Doom - id Software's music influence goes beyond its heavy metal album cover aesthetic and ripped-off tunes. Doom isn't about aiming, its about the dance between you and its various projectiles and enemy types. Its weapons and demons each with a specific and clear purpose, the best maps mixed and matched for maximum rhythm.

11. Sonic 3 and Knuckles - Sonic 1 was the invention, Sonic 2 the escalation, Sonic 3(and Knuckles) the conclusion of a strange mix of speed and platforming. Sega's mastery of their hardware allowed for huge playspaces, and the Michael Jackson influence on the soundtrack is very appreciated.

12. Street Fighter 4 - A hardcore revival, its still great-lookin' style and on the surface simplicity hide a groundswell of depth that has kept the game's competitive drive going strong over half a decade later. Beef aint shit at it, tho

13. Rayman Origins - Practically any second of this game can be paused and framed on your wall, its so gorgeous. Michel Ancel's prequel is Sonic for a new generation, its fluid speed giving way to an addictive collect-a-thon. The game literally oooohs with delight when you discover one of its many secrets.

14. Team Fortress 2 - Flashy and complex, but its Pixar aesthetic keeps its action accessible and clean. Its wonderful characters have very specific roles, and its good-natured humor encourages cooperation and camaraderie.

15. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - Soooooo easy to break, but there are few more pleasurable experiences than wandering through its Gothic interiors and corridors. Builds up so much good will, you hardly care that its flipped castle idea is more cute than clever.

16. The Last of Us - Naughty Dog's most successful marriage of action game design with more cinematic ambitions. Created with a level of nuance and maturity rare in today's AAA thrill rides, creating a world of believable characters and motivations to make its bursts of violence palpable. Its terse screenplay may be its greatest asset; character say more with one line and a body expression than an entire Kojima monologue can muster.

17. Sin & Punishment: Star Successor - Treasure must have known they'd never get to make a sequel to this, so they put in every rail shooter idea you could possibly think of. The third stage alone is an absolute marvel in level design, smoothly moving from robot commando factories to Death Star trench runs, turret defense systems and 1-on-1 jetpack sword duels, before ending with a boss that's like fighting Tetris itself.

18. Time Crisis 2 - A 15 minute John Woo gun fight, made with a huge blockbuster budget. I played this thing so much, I figured out all the ways to link enemies together into combos, the best places to milk bosses, and how to wait til the laaaast second to dodge the laser from the final boss.

19. Super Mario Galaxy 2
- Somehow even better than the first one, a colorful celebration that never seems to run out of fun new things to throw at the player. Whoever came up with the Cloud Suit needs a raise and blowjob.

20. Halo 2/3 - Like Metal Slug before it, sits in a similar place in my head. Halo 2 for its simple and satisfying multiplayer, which looks all the more exciting in a world of unbalanced instant gratification modern shooters, and Halo 3 for its highly replyable campaign, filled with sharp encounter design and wonderful production values.

21. Streets of Rage Remake - A fanmade creation that combines all of Sega's classic beat'em'up trilogy ideas into one glorious package. Filled with all sorts of level ideas and enemy types, with a huge roster of varied characters to select through, this love letter to 16-Bit pop action has the depth to match anything in the genre.

22. God of War 2 - A perfectly paced Greek odyssey, God of War 2 shines like a diamond no matter how many times you've seen its QTEs or felt the controller rumble in your hand as you spin the Blades of Chaos. Like Ninja Gaiden Black, it combines spectacular violence with a hyperactive Zelda progression filled with puzzles, platforming, backtracking, and secrets.

23. Super Smash Bros Melee
- An accessible fan-service brawler with a huge room for depth if you're looking for it. Satisfies hardcore and casuals alike, a blend that I fear may never again be replicated. So brilliant, it feels more and more like an accident every day removed from its heyday.

24. F-Zero GX - Sega's Afterburner success translated into an arcade racer. Insane speeds through a comic book sci-fi universe, F-Zero GX ask, no, flat out DEMANDS your finest twitch reflexes and video game mastery. Its so goddamn fun that you're willing to endure the crash and burn.

25. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - The latest entry and totally random spot, but you'll hear me talk about this more when GOTY discussions start up. In short: the game is good, breh

so that's 25, I'll do the other 25 later.

edit: and by later I mean damn now

26. The Wonderful 101 - Like the Viewtiful Joe sequel I know in my heart I'll never get but always wanted. Marries VJ's style to Okami's drawing skills, with the side chick of Pikmin's multitasking little people management. Stuffs an entire season of super-sentai into positively huuuuge game, constantly introducing new challenges right up into its epic final encounter, ending with the greatest QTE in video game history.

27. Bionic Commando ReArmed - A classy remake of Capcom's NES gem. A platformer with no jump button, Rad Spencer takes on nazis with a mechanical grappling hook arm with a real learning curve, but is damn satisfying to pull consecutive swings in a row. Amazing soundtrack. Huge props to the game being M-Rated simply because they decided to show Hitler's head exploding in slow motion gory detail.

28. Portal 2 - The original was essentially perfect little gem, the kind of thing that's 90% tutorial and has a Kubrickian detached sterility, but became everyone's favorite anyway. The sequel is bigger, its jokes broader, its characterization more drawn out, its puzzles more complex. Its so damn funny, with level design so clever, it makes YOU feel cool and smart for playing it. Its about as good as an unnecessary sequel could possibly be, and that's before getting into fantastic co-op segment.

29. Mass Effect 2 - A space soap opera that ditches the original's epic narrative drive for a more character-driven story. You become so invested in their various quirks and personalities, you don't want to lose a single one of them in the game's intense final Suicide Mission. Hell, I did once, so I started the game over again to get him back. Fuck that, Thane is my dude.

30. Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story - All hail Bowser! The Koopa King finally gets his much-needed spotlight, after regularly being the best character in the Mario RPG franchise. Some of the best spritework I've ever seen, too.

31. DoDonPachi - Cave's Tsuneki Ikeda thought that if his competitor arcade companies were gonna have dozens of bullets on screen at once, then his game was gonna have HUNDREDS. DoDonPachi is like flying through a goddamn asteroid field, ducking and weaving between bullet patterns and hammering the attack button for dear life. Even on your 100th playthrough, its stages are entirely fair yet nerve-wrecking. The perfect arcade game.

32. Dynamite Headdy - Another one I love for its invention in level design for such a short little hour long game, with a charming and wacky Japanese puppet show aesthetic and catchy tunes.

33. Left 4 Dead 2 - The ultimate co-op game. Valve/Black Turtle's John Carpenter horror movie perils punishes lone wolves and bad teammates, and the sadistic director's random enemy generation keeps locales feeling fresh and unpredictable no matter how sure you think your team is. Special mention once again must go out to Valve's peerless sound design, intelligently informing players where enemies are, who they are, and how the pacing of the encounter is gonna play out.

34. OutRun2 - OutRun2 is not a racing game, its a DRIVING game. Its about the simple pleasure of driving at high speeds through picturesque Americana in a fancy Ferrari and a hot blonde in the passenger seat. Clear blue skies and jazzy tunes, smooth drifts and cheers of adulation. Such a chill game.

35. Yoshi's Island - Stupidly easy until you figure out its really an incredible lookin collectathon where the challenge comes from figuring out the nuances of its clever level design. Its mechanics and presentation more well suited to its playful sense of discovery than SMW's bland keyhunts.

36. Grim Fandango - Funny. Just really fuckin' funny, with a cool noir sensibility

37. Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations
- Funny. Just really fuckin' funny, with a cool n-wait.

38. Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal/Crack in Time -Two of the best games of their respective generations. Anthropomorphic explosion of mayhem that vaguely pretends to be a platformer from time to time.

39. Journey - Addition through subtraction. Thatgamecompany streamlines gaming into its most basic point of getting from point A to point B, crafting a sublime sensory experience that, in its most exuberant moments, not afraid to admit actually moved me to tears, fam. A simple idea done exceedingly well.

40. Contra 4 - A hardcore revival of 80s action movie ideas and comic book exaggeration, buff commandos ninja flipping on the side of a rocket while fighting a giant robot. The Duel Screens works a lot better than it had any right to.

41. Mega Man 9 - Could have put several Mega Man games here, but I went with 9 for its collection of Robot Master weaponry. Quite simply, its the best the classic series has ever seen, interesting and useful, but never MM2 Metal Blade useful where you say fuck you to everything else. Dastardly levels, godlike music, pixel perfect controls, ya know the damn deal.

42. Super Mario 3D World - a colorful collection of platforming levels bursting at the seams with creativity and polish, backed by tight controls and clean, crisp visuals. Looking back at the many stage tropes and ideas it tackles, there's no better evidence of Mario's status as the perennial gaming icon, able to slip into so many roles and feel perfectly natural.

43. Gears of War 3 - Epic Games' cover-based pop-and-shoot smash hit reaches its zenith here with its most fluid controls, its most balanced set of weaponry, its dedicated servers for netcode, its great set of multiplayer maps, and Epic's finest usage of their Unreal Engine 3 on the presentation front. Played this thing with friends pretty every Friday/Saturday night through 2012.

44. Unreal Tournament 2004 - Like the last entry, Epic's bombastic macho comic book ultra violence is backed by controls that feel immediately good, weapons that are creative and thrillingly tactile, and a sense of humor/self-awareness that has to come from a company named Epic Games.

45. Metroid: Zero Mission - Another remake of a NES classic, but this time one I just didn't think was much good at all, sorry Metroid fans. Tight controls and speedy momentum make exploring the planet depths an absolute joy. Shame about that tacked-on stealth section at the end there, damn those animations tho right

46. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - It taught me my hatred of owls

47. Crazy Taxi - YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH DAY AFTER DAY YOUR HOME LIFE'S A WRECK THE POWERS THAT BE JUST BREATHE DOWN YOUR NECK YOU GET NO RESPECT YOU GET RELIEF YOU GOTTA SPEAK UP AND YELL OUT YOUR PIECE

SO BREAK OFF YOUR RULES BACK OFF YOUR JIVE CUZ I'M SICK OF NOT LIVING TO STAY ALIVE LEAVE ME ALONE I'M NOT ASKING A LOT I JUST DON'T WNAT TO BE CONTROLLED THAT'S ALL I WAAAAAAAAAAN ALL I WAAAAAANT

48. Strider 2 - One of the best controlling action games around, a slick ninja action platformer that's easy to credit feed but difficult to S-A rank if you aint a scrub

49. Batman: Arkham City - Finally, a game that lets me live my childhood fantasy of flying over Gotham, diving down into a group of thugs, then swiftly taking them out in style like an absolute badass. An escalation of Asylum's Metroidvania structure, but the same level of polish that went into its many systems and art direction, but now with a bigger world and better combat. Keep your Zeldas and Metal Gear Solids, Arkham Knight is my most anticipated game of 2015.

50. Pac-Man: Championship Edition (DX)- I included DX in parenthesis, because although I love its train of ghosts(there's few greater feels than eating one of those), I feel the original five minute incarnation is just about perfect. A smart reinvention of an arcade classic by the original designer, techno beat and club colors wash over the dynamically shifting stages. High scores are earned through a mix of pattern memorization and twitch reflex adaptation. Addictive, like a bunch of tasty empty calories. Pop video games at their finest, disposable and yet indispensable.

I feel like I've done a Top 10 GOAT list in this thread multiple times already.

A top 50 list sounds like a nice change of pace, though. I'll get around to it. Eventually.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, you know what? Doing a list like JC's works remarkably well. I think I might do that, myself.

The reason why I harp so much on lists is because back in the day I used to read every single post in threads. That way I knew basically everyone by name, by writing style (and thus it was pretty easy to figure out if they had alt accounts since they usually didn't change their style and what kind of games they liked), and by what games they liked/what they liked about games. That was legit the most important thing to me, and that's why I ended up paying a little more attention to certain people whenever I was skeptical about a game that I was on the fence about. That's why explanations are important to me: I got to know people better and get a different perspective on a game I liked or didn't like whenever they did it.

I'd take the moose vote to protect the citizens. I won't take the igloos, that's just cruel.
What if the moose rebel?

Owl should get off his lazy perch and do a decked out list first, as it is I can do a brief descriptions in less than 50 words.

so that's 25, I'll do the other 25 later.
That's all you need, bb.

y8uCg4s.png

Kart94

Banned
hmm. you know. i wish indie horror games were more like Five Nights at Freddy's and less like Slenderman. Five Nights at Freddy's is legit scarey to me. There is something to be said about a horror game that makes you constantly looking around and then preying that you make it through the night when it is at 5:00 a.m. and the power is out. Slenderman to me has nothing going for it besides Slenderman popping out in front you.

*Though i am not too sure how one can stop Freddy. He seems to pop out of nowhere and kills you. Even when you have both doors closed*

Top Bottom