• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Erm, no. If you didn't have it figured out by the end of world 2, it's your fault.

Bull~shit! "Figuring it out" doesn't excuse shitty momentum, shitty air speed, and being incredibly slow at everything!

Also, pretty sure there's not an ice level by the end of World 2. Those controls are some Grade A bull. And I LOVE the ice levels in Mario Galaxy, which even does the same skating thing!

Use of the run button gives you substantial amounts of speed and control. The only criticism I have is that spindash is impractical for the majority of the game.

Bull~shit! At full run, Sonic still isn't that fast, and parkour can be slow as all hell! You don't naturally build up momentum like in other Sonic games, and the camera's not great at showing you what's ahead anyway.

What's sad is I previously posted an idea about holding a trigger to make Sonic "dig in" for faster running, parkour, etc. It's like my idea came to life! But in an awful way that makes me hate it now!

Don't get me wrong, overall I prefer colors, but the literal on rails levels in lost world felt more skillfull than the majority of colors, to say nothing of the rest of the game.

You mean those grinding levels where if you don't jump at exactly the right time, you forfeit a life, and they have bomb minecarts which instantly kill Sonic despite prior game logic?

EDIT: Now that I'm not on mobile, I will elaborate on more of the mechanics.

no plz

The multi-lockon system was a natural risk vs. reward system. Jumping high enough to get a lot of hits often leaves you vulnerable due to the momentum you had when you jumped (and inability to dodge outside of completing the attack), and getting the most hits out of a lockon means waiting until the last possible moment to execute, which could lead in failure if your timing isn't perfect, making you lose all your target progress.

The multi-lockon is an idea I like in theory. The biggest problem is that in addition to it being slow to both pick up targets and execute, it loses tracking the SECOND a target goes off-screen. That's kind of messed up, as Sonic goes flying toward it, then just gives up because your perspective lost it. It also sometimes picks up targets you don't expect. You're trying to kill a group of enemies, but it also grabs a spring off to the right you didn't expect. Oh, guess you're going that way now!

You do realize you don't have to start jumping before the lock-on works, right?

This ties in with the split jump functions, and the bounce. The former is probably among the top 3 reasons the game's learning curve is as steep as it is, as mentally programming the two different functions to buttons that serve the same primary action is a bit strange for most people. However, when perfected it gives substantial amounts of player control: the homing attack is your most important offensive component, so naturally it gets its own button, but a lot of the time you wish to ignore your lockon targets, as the double jump gives you substantial momentum if you are jumping into it with enough speed. This actually lets you skip a lot of troublesome sections rather naturally. The bounce essentially replaces the slam. Instead of grounding you completely (or having you slide when held on the ground), it instead gives you back height, and functions as an offensive attack against certain enemies. My biggest complaint about bounce would be that kick is also mapped to it. While kick is moderately useful if you don't want to do a multihit attack against a group of enemies, this one function isn't enough to justify it's existence in my opinion (it's also forced with a few enemies and bosses, but that's really bad mechanic forcing).

I don't think a lot of people even realize there's a "No Homing" jump button, I had to be pointed to it by Blaze Hedgehog. Kick and Bounce being on the same button is also incredibly awful, because it relies on the Homing system. I've dropped straight into pits because I tried to Kick something pretty much right in my face, but the Homing system still hadn't actually picked it up yet. That's fun.

Really odd how the Bounce is limited to 3. Not that I expect to keep getting height from it, but no reason to not allow the player to continue bouncing in place.

I was actually quite surprised how well parkour was implemented.

At this point you're straight up guzzling the Kool-Aid. Wall-running is sort of ok. Actually running up walls is a slow process with an annoying buzzsaw sound every god damn time. The "Wall Shift" you're so quick to discount as not mattering is actually utilized and implemented fine enough on the 3DS version, so that's a failing of the Wii U/PC version. There's tons of games that have done parkour better already, so Sonic being so slow and clunky at it is inexcusable.

Going all-in on Lost World's controls is like saying, "You know guys, Sonic 2006 really wasn't THAT bad..."

Hello guys :).

Sonic Stadium and Sonic Paradox tweeted this article on Twitter and was considering making a thread on it: http://www.polygon.com/2016/2/8/10756318/sonic-the-hedgehog-great-rocky-history

It covers a lot about Sonic's past with SoA marketers, Christian Whitehead's comments about the series migration to 3D, BRB commenting on Sonic Boom U and even Iskuka hinting about the future of the series.

With how Gaf reacts to my past Sonic threads, was considering posting this but I don't know if its a good idea. If you guys think otherwise, will consider posting it :). If not, at least I hope you all enjoy the article :D.

Quoting this for the new page.

RK128

Hello everyone :).

Just giving you all a heads up on future Sonic threads I'm making. Taking a break from the 3D titles for a bit to focus on the Genesis-era and handheld titles. So my next round of threads for next two weeks should be the following tomorrow:

-Sonic 2
-Sonic 3&K
-Sonic CD
-Knuckles Chaotix
-Sonic Pocket Adventure
-Sonic Advance 1-3
-Sonic Rush & Rush Adventure
-Sonic Rivals 1 & 2
-Sonic Triple Trouble
-Sonic Chaos
-Sonic 1 GG
-Sonic 2 Master System
-Tails Adventure

Hope you all enjoy them :D!

Regiruler

Also, pretty sure there's not an ice level by the end of World 2. Those controls are some Grade A bull. And I LOVE the ice levels in Mario Galaxy, which even does the same skating thing!
Whether there is an ice level or not is irrelevant. The controls for ice are extrapolated directly from the controls on standard ground. That said, there's a reason I ranked Frozen Factory so low, as overall it was by far the least enjoyable world in the game (although not for the ice physics: I just disliked the level design in general, snowball or otherwise).
You mean those grinding levels where if you don't jump at exactly the right time, you forfeit a life, and they have bomb minecarts which instantly kill Sonic despite prior game logic?

Yes, those bomb carts that may have been labeled in big red letters SUPER DANGEROUS DO NOT TOUCH. What the fuck DID you expect, given that normal carts already hurt you and removed all your momentum? It should not be an unreasonable stretch that something more visibly dangerous will have a greater detrimental effect. This isn't some shit like Sky Road 4 either, because if you can't tell the difference between the carts, go to an optometrist.

That said, there are legitimate complaints to be had regarding 3d controls: since depth perception is rather poor, it's very difficult to judge where you will land. Ideally, there would have been slower "catch" rails in the 3D sections that give you a second chance, so that the player isn't too afraid to experiment.

The multi-lockon is an idea I like in theory. The biggest problem is that in addition to it being slow to both pick up targets and execute, it loses tracking the SECOND a target goes off-screen. That's kind of messed up, as Sonic goes flying toward it, then just gives up because your perspective lost it. It also sometimes picks up targets you don't expect. You're trying to kill a group of enemies, but it also grabs a spring off to the right you didn't expect. Oh, guess you're going that way now!
Except the game does not force you perform the attack, and the spring will be marked before the attack executes.

I cannot think of a scenario when your first situation occurred, let alone was significantly detrimental.
I don't think a lot of people even realize there's a "No Homing" jump button, I had to be pointed to it by Blaze Hedgehog. Kick and Bounce being on the same button is also incredibly awful, because it relies on the Homing system. I've dropped straight into pits because I tried to Kick something pretty much right in my face, but the Homing system still hadn't actually picked it up yet. That's fun.

Really odd how the Bounce is limited to 3. Not that I expect to keep getting height from it, but no reason to not allow the player to continue bouncing in place.

So now your blaming the game because of your own ignorance and inability for experimentation?
At most, this is an explanatory issue, not a mechanical one.

On bounce, we must have been playing entirely different games. I cannot count the number of times the homing picked up something I needed to bounce on. The general poor experience with bounce is probably from the game being slow to pick up things directly below you so you can bounce on them (and doing a homing attack on something right beneath you is weird momentum-wise).
Bounce is probably limited to 3 to signal players that there's no more height. An arbitrary decision, and I think we can both agree that this is a rather minor point.
At this point you're straight up guzzling the Kool-Aid. Wall-running is sort of ok. Actually running up walls is a slow process with an annoying buzzsaw sound every god damn time. The "Wall Shift" you're so quick to discount as not mattering is actually utilized and implemented fine enough on the 3DS version, so that's a failing of the Wii U/PC version. There's tons of games that have done parkour better already, so Sonic being so slow and clunky at it is inexcusable.

Going all-in on Lost World's controls is like saying, "You know guys, Sonic 2006 really wasn't THAT bad..."
No, it's legitimately fun. The chargeable spin dash, albeit one use per wall, gives you control over speed and height, and when you return to a ground state you (as expected) keep all your momentum you had on the wall. The opening of Sky Road 1, and the one section in Lava Mountain 4, would have to be my favorite uses.

Wall kick was the most unintuitive mechanic in the whole game: you can indefinitely keep your height on a player-facing wall for... some reason? Also requires repeated presses of the same button. But if you enjoyed it then I have no qualm.

All in all, Lost World has substantially more mechanical depth than colors and generations, as evidenced by the fact that we can even have this debate. It's a shame the game suffered in so many small ways that the end product still doesn't feel right.

Just giving you all a heads up on future Sonic threads I'm making. Taking a break from the 3D titles for a bit to focus on the Genesis-era and handheld titles. So my next round of threads for next two weeks should be the following tomorrow:

-Sonic 2
-Sonic 3&K
-Sonic CD
-Knuckles Chaotix
-Sonic Pocket Adventure
-Sonic Advance 1-3
-Sonic Rivals 1 & 2
-Sonic Triple Trouble
-Sonic Chaos
-Sonic 1 GG
-Sonic 2 Master System
-Tails Adventure

That reminds me, I need to play the original Rush. May replay Rush Adventure as well.
You doing the handheld tie-ins colors onward?

Rlan

-Sonic 2
-Sonic 3&K
-Sonic CD
-Knuckles Chaotix
-Sonic Pocket Adventure
-Sonic Advance 1-3
-Sonic Rivals 1 & 2
-Sonic Triple Trouble
-Sonic Chaos
-Sonic 1 GG
-Sonic 2 Master System
-Tails Adventure

I'd say space them out a bit. Otherwise you look like you're just spamming stuff on the forum.

RK128

I'd say space them out a bit. Otherwise you look like you're just spamming stuff on the forum.

Okay, since the Sonic 2 thread was made today......will not post a new thread for three or so days then. Thank you for the advice :D!

Edit: Been making them one per day, so its not that bad. But if its a problem, will fall back on your 2-3 Day between threads idea.

RK128

That reminds me, I need to play the original Rush. May replay Rush Adventure as well.
You doing the handheld tie-ins colors onward?

I talked about that version when making the Colors LTTP thread, so not really. But I might make one anyway at some point :).

Maybe you can help me with the Rush Adventure thread, as I don't own Rush Adventure anymore :). I can make a RTTP thread on it instead (as I remember my time with it) but if you are interested in helping with that, let me know :D.

Except the game does not force you perform the attack, and the spring will be marked before the attack executes.

So you mean to tell me that nobody is forcing me to use the primary method to take down large groups of enemies? Which is also an ability that has existed in all 3D Sonic games for the last 17 years?

Which, might I add, is actually required to finish the game, because there are totally places where they expect you to do the ol' "homing attack chain over a pit or other hazard" which, again, as I just said, has existed in all 3D Sonic games for the last 17 years (longer, if you count Sonic 3D Blast's Gold Shield enabling the "Blast Attack" in 1995).

Like, c'mon, now.

And yes, the spring will be marked before the attack executes in the best of conditions. But that requires you to pay attention to a massive amount of visual information and doesn't account for moments where the spring comes within homing range at the last possible second and you don't notice until after you've already pressed the button.

C'moooon. I can understand if you're willing to forgive transgressions because you like something about the game. Everybody does that. But these are weird defenses.

Whether there is an ice level or not is irrelevant. The controls for ice are extrapolated directly from the controls on standard ground. That said, there's a reason I ranked Frozen Factory so low, as overall it was by far the least enjoyable world in the game (although not for the ice physics: I just disliked the level design in general, snowball or otherwise).

"Extrapolated directly from the controls on standard ground", only in the most vague sense possible. You lose a LOT of air control if you jump while skating, and Sonic does his pirouette. And if your answer to that is "well, don't use it/don't run"... that's still a failing of the controls!

Yes, those bomb carts that may have been labeled in big red letters SUPER DANGEROUS DO NOT TOUCH. What the fuck DID you expect, given that normal carts already hurt you and removed all your momentum? It should not be an unreasonable stretch that something more visibly dangerous will have a greater detrimental effect. This isn't some shit like Sky Road 4 either, because if you can't tell the difference between the carts, go to an optometrist.

The point isn't that they aren't labeled as dangerous, it's that it's a bullshit mechanic, and not one common for Sonic games at all. I never said I couldn't "tell the difference", so stop inventing arguments to try to make your point.

That said, there are legitimate complaints to be had regarding 3d controls: since depth perception is rather poor, it's very difficult to judge where you will land. Ideally, there would have been slower "catch" rails in the 3D sections that give you a second chance, so that the player isn't too afraid to experiment.

Maybe putting entire levels over bottomless pits is a really bad idea in Sonic games that they should've learned not to do years ago.

If I'm already going to attack a group of enemies, the timing difference between 3 lock-ons and 4 is not extensive, or even necessarily controllable. And hell, sometimes you just don't realize between all the red reticles popping up and everything else you're trying to focus on, that a fourth one popped up to the side. It would be better if the multi-lockon distinguished between types of targets, and limited a group attack to elements of a single type.

I cannot think of a scenario when your first situation occurred, let alone was significantly detrimental.

That's nice. It still happens. It's really bad on the stages with a lot of enemies (like that Tropical Resort stage) where if they wander off the bottom of the screen, Sonic loses them, but they can just wander right back into view and hurt you while you're recovering. Because they're inches away from Sonic, but lock-on is based on the camera view.

This has the opposite effect in some of the widest shots. There's that Desert stage where the camera pulls way back, and there's the quicksand pits with worms inside and the thin paths between, where you're supposed to homing attack enemies. You'll start to go after a particular line, but suddenly veer hard right as it picked up another one way off to the side. Oops, you're going this way now, better hope you can recover!

This is a thing in the game. You can't deny it. It causes problems, you just choose to ignore them.

So now your blaming the game because of your own ignorance and inability for experimentation?
At most, this is an explanatory issue, not a mechanical one.

It is an explanatory issue. The two buttons are seemingly identical except for one function that is not immediately evident. Attacking me for "ignorance" is pretty gross.

On bounce, we must have been playing entirely different games.I cannot count the number of times the homing picked up something I needed to bounce on.

I mean, this is a problem too! Like, this doesn't disqualify what I said! I remember that to do the Bounce mission I got, I had to face away with enemies just so the Kick wouldn't trigger.

The general poor experience with bounce is probably from the game being slow to pick up things directly below you so you can bounce on them (and doing a homing attack on something right beneath you is weird momentum-wise).

These aren't things directly below me. Like it's terrible about picking up those golden bombs from the pigs sometimes, as an example.

Bounce is probably limited to 3 to signal players that there's no more height. An arbitrary decision, and I think we can both agree that this is a rather minor point.

I still don't like it, and it's contrary to pretty much any prior Sonic game that had a bounce mechanic, so...

No, it's legitimately fun. The chargeable spin dash, albeit one use per wall, gives you control over speed and height, and when you return to a ground state you (as expected) keep all your momentum you had on the wall. The opening of Sky Road 1, and the one section in Lava Mountain 4, would have to be my favorite uses.

Wall kick was the most unintuitive mechanic in the whole game: you can indefinitely keep your height on a player-facing wall for... some reason? Also requires repeated presses of the same button. But if you enjoyed it then I have no qualm.

I don't think you entirely understood me. I was okay with running ALONG the walls. That sort of works, along with the Spindash mini-boost. Running UP the walls is awful, especially Sonic catching onto the ledge and flipping himself up.

Wall Jumping between walls is an extension of the awful running up the walls (SAW NOISE, SAW NOISE, SAW NOISE), and seems to be arbitrarily implemented, working in some sections, but not in others.

All in all, Lost World has substantially more mechanical depth than colors and generations, as evidenced by the fact that we can even have this debate. It's a shame the game suffered in so many small ways that the end product still doesn't feel right.

I really think you're giving the mechanics too much credit. Assassin's Creed came out six years prior. Parkour in games has come a long way, and can be presented in a fluid, fast, easily-controllable way. Sonic should've been at that standard, period.

But it's my opinion that Sega were hedging their bets on Lost World anyway, due to the faltering status of the Wii U, so the game wasn't about to get the focus and attention it needed to be any better.

Complete and total aside: The voice direction is weird. The Deadly Six are obviously 1-dimensional cartoon characters. (Zeena is literally "The Female", and that's kind of gross!) But I swear Mike Pollock thought the game was going to be more serious than it was, with some of Eggman's line deliveries. He seriously goes in on it.

Regiruler

I'd say the voice direction wasn't the issue (I actually liked Zavok's VA in his levels, and most of the VAs felt true to the character). It's how one dimensional the deadly six were due to poor writing, far beyond the point of parody. Pollock was good as usual (he can make do with poor writing, and he's grade A when he has something with decent writing to work with).

I remember liking a few of the alternate language VAs when I changed the language for shits and giggles. But I can't rewatch cutscenes without restarting the one save slot (seriously why is this still a thing)? No thanks.

CNCOMICS

I didn't think this warranted its own thread because I couldn't find a better source, but, I was following up on the Ty the Tasmanian Tiger Steam Early Access thread and didn't realize that Krome was dealt a hard blow. So I went to Wikipedia, because sometimes articles contain current staff sizes for studios, and in Krome's list of console games is "Sonic Boom: A Hole in the Wall" for last and current gen to be released in 2016 and of course there's no citation. So I hit up Google and only found one reference on e926.net, that someone referenced in the comments and searched GAF using Google and got nothing either. So, Sonic GAF, take it with a grain of salt?

RK128

I didn't think this warranted its own thread because I couldn't find a better source, but, I was following up on the Ty the Tasmanian Tiger Steam Early Access thread and didn't realize that Krome was dealt a hard blow. So I went to Wikipedia, because sometimes articles contain current staff sizes for studios, and in Krome's list of console games is "Sonic Boom: A Hole in the Wall" for last and current gen to be released in 2016 and of course there's no citation. So I hit up Google and only found one reference on e926.net, that someone referenced in the comments. So, Sonic GAF, take it with a grain of salt?

Mmm.......

Would be a step up from BRB if that is right :). They made a few solid 3D platformers with the Ty series, was going to make a Crash platformer before making the two Legend of Spyro games (Dawn of the Dragon was made by the team that is currently making the Twilight Princess HD project).

I don't see why Sega will make a 3D Sonic game using the Boom branding (as we are getting a major anniversary game this year and we are getting Boom Fire and Ice, covering the 'big' Boom game for the year) but stranger things happened.

Wikipiedia can't really be trusted so, take that news with a grain of salt. Thank you for sharing this though :D.

RK128

Just a heads up for anyone following my Sonic threads, I said my next few threads will be classic focused. While I'm still making CD and 3&K threads (in addition to the other 2D game threads), going to jump right to Unleashed after 3&K, then go back to the other Genesis games/2D games/handheld games.

After seeing the response to the Sonic Movie thread.....want to show people the strong elements to the Modern series and how it birthed from Sonic Unleashed. Very excited to make this, as I plan on it being the longest thread OP I've ever made.

Hope you all enjoy it, as I'm working on the CD thread tonight and the 3&K thread tomorrow night :).

Edit: The CD thread is up for anyone interested :). Updated it latter tonight after my Sign Language class with music, stage descriptions and more :D.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1182497

Personally really love this 2D Sonic game, so its nice talking about it :).

Just a heads up for anyone following my Sonic threads, I said my next few threads will be classic focused. While I'm still making CD and 3&K threads (in addition to the other 2D game threads), going to jump right to Unleashed after 3&K, then go back to the other Genesis games/2D games/handheld games.

After seeing the response to the Sonic Movie thread.....want to show people the strong elements to the Modern series and how it birthed from Sonic Unleashed. Very excited to make this, as I plan on it being the longest thread OP I've ever made.

Hope you all enjoy it, as I'm working on the CD thread tonight and the 3&K thread tomorrow night :).

Edit: The CD thread is up for anyone interested :). Updated it latter tonight after my Sign Language class with music, stage descriptions and more :D.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1182497

Personally really love this 2D Sonic game, so its nice talking about it :).

Man, that's a personal harbor of love that I personally can't bring myself to do anymore. Props for being so uplifting, specially after reading through a thread like that one!

RK128

Man, that's a personal harbor of love that I personally can't bring myself to do anymore. Props for being so uplifting, specially after reading through a thread like that one!

Late response but being a Sonic fan is all about dealing with BS from negativity people. Even if the 2018 movie is horrid and kills the series, what's stopping all of us from enjoying it now :)?

Its nice seeing people on Gaf enjoy Sonic through my threads and I plan to continue making them :D.

Generations will be the big cap-off for my series of threads and I want to do that before March; when the rumored anniversary game is announced :).

Sami+

I bought shoes today

uwCHPXdh.jpg

CZ1EePOWAAAXMx_.jpg

RK128

I bought shoes today

Late response but nice shoes :D! Like the bright red look they have.

Going to go fast when running ;)? I had to think for a second before realizing "Oh! Those are like Sonic's shoes :D!", so sorry for not commenting on that sooner XD! Great fine and I hope you like them.

Remember when I told you guys I was making a Sonic 3&K thread? Its up now :D! Link: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=194994018#post194994018

Going to be covering a 3D game tomorrow and I'm sure we all will have a howling good time with this one ;).

sonic.unleashed.02.sm.jpg

Edit: Going to make a list that I will come back to whenever I make a new thread. Games with no link have no thread made yet.

Classic Era:
Sonic the Hedgehog 1
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sonic the Hedgehog CD
Sonic the Hedgehog 3&K
Knuckles Chaotix
Sonic 3D Blast - Will be up by 2/16
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine - Will be up by 2/17
Sonic Spinball - Will be up by 2/19
Sonic Chaos - Will be up by 2/23
Sonic Triple Trouble - Will be up by 2/25
Tails Adventure - Will be up by 2/27
Sonic 1 & 2 Master System - Will be up by 2/29
Sonic Drift 1 & 2 - Will be up by 3/1

Saturn Era:
Sonic the Fighters - Will be up by 2/21
Sonic R
Sonic Jam - Will be up by 3/2

Dreamcast Era:
Sonic Pocket Adventure - Will be up by 3/4
Sonic Adventure - Will be up by 3/7
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic Heroes
Sonic Advance Trilogy - Will be up by 3/10
Sonic Rivals Series - Will be up by 3/15
Sonic Battle - Will be up by 3/12
Shadow the Hedgehog - Will be up by 3/17
Sonic Riders & Zero Gravity

Modern Era:
Sonic Rush Series - Will be up by 3/13
Sonic 06
Sonic & The Secret Rings - Will be up by 3/19
Sonic & The Black Knight
Sonic Chronicles - Will be up by 3/20
Sonic Unleashed
Sonic Colors
Colors DS (This is a maybe honestly.....)
Sonic 4 Ep. I & II - Will be up by 3/22
Sonic Generations - Will be up by 3/24

Edit 2: Would be interested in covering Lost World and Sonic Boom RoL if someone was willing to help me out with some impressions or comments, so feel free to PM me or anything if interested :). Would love to cover these but don't own a Wii U, nor I want to get one right now (saving for college tests and a PS4).

RobbieNick

I didn't think this warranted its own thread because I couldn't find a better source, but, I was following up on the Ty the Tasmanian Tiger Steam Early Access thread and didn't realize that Krome was dealt a hard blow. So I went to Wikipedia, because sometimes articles contain current staff sizes for studios, and in Krome's list of console games is "Sonic Boom: A Hole in the Wall" for last and current gen to be released in 2016 and of course there's no citation. So I hit up Google and only found one reference on e926.net, that someone referenced in the comments and searched GAF using Google and got nothing either. So, Sonic GAF, take it with a grain of salt?

I seriously doubt it. They delay Sonic Boom: Fir and Ice for this year and I think the reason they did was just to have one Sonic Boom game in the Anniversary window. I doubt there's another Boom game on the way, but who knows?

TimmiT

Lol Wikipedia.

Someone already removed the game from the list since you made that post.

RK128

Started playing Knuckles Chaotix for the first time and.....surprised with it honestly.

I knew about the tag-team mechanic but didn't think it would be fun to play around with. But I like how you can pick up your partner and toss them around or how they can effectively be a stronger spin dash (tell them to stay still, then let them launch forward after you run a bit).

Really like the special stages and playing as Knuckles & Mighty is fun :).

Looking forward to the other zones and latter talking about the game via thread on Sunday/Monday when I beat the game :D.

RK128

Chaotix would be a good game if only it had good level design.

Only played through the opening level and two of the zones (first level in each) in addition to collecting two Chaos Rings.

Need to play a lot more before I can really comment on the level design. But I really like the special stages though :).

Hey, remember "HEADS.MID" from Sonic's Schoolhouse? I mean, I don't fault you if you don't, since, well, it's from Sonic's Schoolhouse, but nevertheless, it's a fairly good track, and one of my favorites from that obscure-as-hell game.

Well, guess what, someone who wishes to remain anonymous tipped me off yesterday to an interesting fact about it: it's a Simon and Garfunkel song.

Not the first instance of borrowing music in the game; "B_.MID" and "D_.MID" (same content, different files) is "Caribbean" from The Incredible Machine, which was one I noticed as a kid. I wonder if every track from this game was borrowed from something...?

Also, muteKi at Retro suggested the statue matching minigame's music ("G_.MID") is "Hey Mon".

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Just went back to Sonic 4 Ep. II, and Christ almighty is the Egg Heart hard. Way harder than the final bosses in Sonic 1-3&K o_O

Also, there seems to be a bug/glitch in the Metal Sonic race in act 1 of the Death Star. I reached the goal way, way ahead of him and.. he just never appeared. And since you can't control Sonic at that point, I just had to sit there until my time was up and I died. Wtf.

Just went back to Sonic 4 Ep. II, and Christ almighty is the Egg Heart hard. Way harder than the final bosses in Sonic 1-3&K o_O

I think it was easy to lose your rings on (retrievable, with some in the arena too, at least), and it took a little while, but I don't think it was that hard. Sonic 4 Episode 1's was harder IMO. Especially with that cheap last attack.

I definitely remember having way more trouble with the final boss of Ep. 2, though neither of them are really that easy. But at least Ep. 1's boss lets you carry over some understanding from Sonic 2.

TimmiT

Yeah, we accidentally got the Sonic fanbase hyped up about some big announcement while all that really happened is that my buddy Gene was demoted from Sonic Retro.

Oh well.

Sciz

Yeah, we accidentally got the Sonic fanbase hyped up about some big announcement while all that really happened is that my buddy Gene was demoted from Sonic Retro.

Oh well.

Community members slowly infiltrating Sega is really the only hope I have for the franchise anyway.

RK128

So that big announcement rumored for this week......is just a Sonic Community Member helping Ruby out through a new job position?

That rocks :D! The more members from the Sonic Community jumping into Sega can only be a good thing for the series! Just odd this was hyped so much now, considering so many Sonic fans are hungry for SOMETHING from Sega regarding the Blue Blur.

Hope we do get something next month......if we do not get a big announcement by next month, people will go nuts XD!

In other news, I decided the next game for the retrospective will be decided by poll on Twitter :D! https://twitter.com/RK1283/status/699438354279043073

Playing all three right now, but interested in seeing what people want me to talk about the most. The losers of the poll will come a day after the winning topic.

Sciz

Since the thread for it is closed:

LMfutCB.png

via Retro

(SonicGAF's really slowed down without any real games to talk about, huh)

Hasn't been a game really worth talking about since, what, Lost World? Generations? Makes sense that everything came to a halt.

I'm hoping that some time in the next two months, that'll have changed (either on 3/21 or 4/1), but presently am not sure what to expect.

Sciz

Hasn't been a game really worth talking about since, what, Lost World? Generations? Makes sense that everything came to a halt.

I'm hoping that some time in the next two months, that'll have changed (either on 3/21 or 4/1), but presently am not sure what to expect.

Everything*... seems to point to a purely classic-focused game so far, aside from Crush 40 maybe being involved. God knows what, though.

*the comic, the toys, the branding

RK128

Since the thread for it is closed:

LMfutCB.png

via Retro
(SonicGAF's really slowed down without any real games to talk about, huh)

Well I've been busy making Sonic Threads on Gaf, so the word of the series pops up online once a day at least XD!

But yah, without a new game, it has been silent here for a while :l. If you want, could link the newest threads I've been working on the past week or so.

Everything*... seems to point to a purely classic-focused game so far, aside from Crush 40 maybe being involved. God knows what, though.

*the comic, the toys, the branding

I agree, too much is leaning on some Classic Sonic game being in production. If anything, I expect 2016's Sonic releases to be the following:
A: Classic Sonic Mainline game from Sonic Team, Sonic Boom 2 3DS releasing this fall, Mario & Sonic releasing in March/June, Modern Sonic Collection (Unleashed, Colors, Generations/Colors, Generations, Lost World) releasing on PS4/X1/NX/PC.
B: Classic Sonic Collection/Mainline Game, Boom 2 3DS, Mario & Sonic 3DS and Wii U, New Modern Sonic Game for all platforms

Sciz

But yah, without a new game, it has been silent here for a while :l. If you want, could link the newest threads I've been working on the past week or so.

Eh, I don't just mean recently. I was picking through the prior threads earlier (for reasons I'll get back to soon-ish), and it struck me that the first two OTs capped out in roughly a year each while this one's not quite half done after over two years. Kind of a stark difference, given that the entire reason a community thread was established was to keep SonicGAF from having the same conversations over and over again in Gaming side threads.

Even we had our limits, apparently.

I agree, too much is leaning on some Classic Sonic game being in production. If anything, I expect 2016's Sonic releases to be the following:
A: Classic Sonic Mainline game from Sonic Team, Sonic Boom 2 3DS releasing this fall, Mario & Sonic releasing in March/June, Modern Sonic Collection (Unleashed, Colors, Generations/Colors, Generations, Lost World) releasing on PS4/X1/NX/PC.
B: Classic Sonic Collection/Mainline Game, Boom 2 3DS, Mario & Sonic 3DS and Wii U, New Modern Sonic Game for all platforms

These aren't happening, at least not this year.

RK128

Eh, I don't just mean recently. I was picking through the prior threads earlier (for reasons I'll get back to soon-ish), and it struck me that the first two OTs capped out in roughly a year each while this one's not quite half done after over two years. Kind of a stark difference, given that the entire reason a community thread was established was to keep SonicGAF from having the same conversations over and over again in Gaming side threads.

When we haven't had a major new game for a year.....things can get quiet without much issue :l.

I think that was why I wanted to do my Sonic Retrospective in the first place, as while I am very excited about this years anniversary....I felt out of the series since it became Nintendo exclusive :l.

Never played Lost World or Boom Wii U, so I can't really comment on those games fairly (and Wii U or not, I WILL cover them for the Retrospective; both are really important to the series) but I haven't played a brand new Sonic game for.......4 years.

Very long time for me to not play a new Sonic XD!

Hopeful that with this anniversary, we get one really great new, multiplatform game that everyone can play, that is high quality and it makes a lot of people happy.

And playing through the entire series for the retrospective, they have a lot to pull from across all the eras to make a damn fine game for the anniversary :).

RK128

These aren't happening, at least not this year.

Why do you doubt a Modern Sonic Collection happening or a new Modern Sonic game happening? If we are getting Classic Sonic-focused stuff, it leaves the Modern fans out. So, at least throwing a cheap Generations or Colors port on PS4/X1/NX would make people happy (Colors PC version).

I can see no modern Sonic game happening but I could see a port of one of the older games happening.

......Unless you are in the camp to that things the anniversary game is Nintendo only too :(. Nintendo only means I won't play the game, so at least I can replay Generations or Colors again :).

Edit: Ah, you just think the year is packed with Sonic releases already (Sonic Boom 3DS, Sonic Anniversary game, Mario & Sonic). Okay, I understand. Sorry for misreading your post buddy.

TimmiT

I'm surprised that this hasn't been mentioned in here yet: http://schedule.sxsw.com/2016/events/event_PP92695

There'll be a Sonic panel at SXSW with Aaron Webber, Austin Keys, Mike Pollock, Roger Craig Smith, Takashi Iizuka, and Yuji Naka. Will focus on the history of Sonic, though it says they'll "look to the future" as well. SXSW may stream it, but that's not a sure thing yet.

Top Bottom