• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Sami+

Alright, good. So at most 4 years dev time since Lost World for Project 2017.

Even if you factor in the team having a break, has a Sonic game had that long a dev time in recent memory?

Never, not even Adventure or Unleashed to my knowledge. There's also the segment of Sonic Team that didn't work on Lost World to consider as well.

Can I just take a moment to say how godlike the Adder's Lair music is from Racing Transformed? Because damn.

tumblr_n401iyWZ731sg31w3o1_250.gif

Village

You have reminded me and now I'm reupset at the fact the best JSR song in that game is the intro to the new jsr track , there were some winners. But there were quite a few loosers , loosing the ability to just pick a song at the beginning of the race like the last game.

Also upset they chose the lamer stranges to bring forward into the new game, I know it was to push the newer stages, and have the old stages be short side things, but there were some really interesting well done stages in that first game. Like they chose the strait up worse JSR stage from that game. And the monkey ball stage from the first game is nuts.

All and all though I like transformed better though.

I hope after they finish doing their zombie thing Sega gets to make another one, or a just a sonic racer. I would prefer Sonic and Sega all stars, but you never know with sega

Can I just take a moment to say how godlike the Adder's Lair music is from Racing Transformed? Because damn.

tumblr_n401iyWZ731sg31w3o1_250.gif

Yeah, I'm a big fan of Transformed's OST overall but I always wondered how much of the sound budget went into the the Golden Axe tracks, because god damn

You have reminded me and now I'm reupset at the fact the best JSR song in that game is the intro to the new jsr track

Agreed. I've had that song as one of my ringtones for the longest.

Anth0ny

finally said fuck it and bought something I always wanted:

That's the LE for Sonic Generations, only released in Europe. And what a shame that is, because it's actually one of the best LE's I've ever seen and a worthy LE for celebrating the 20th anniversary of Sonic. You can tell whoever was behind is was a diehard fan, as there is so much attention to detail here.

Just look at the box. Minimalism at its best. The two faces of Sanic is all you need here. Very clean look that I'm a huge fan of.

The thing comes jam packed with stuff, including a documentary and soundtrack celebrating all Sonic music, but my favorite items are the art book, which includes a ton of artwork from pre-Sonic 1 to Sonic 06 to Generations and everything in between:

and the statue of Classic and Modern Sonic:

Unlike most hunks of plastic included with video game LEs that look like they were mass produced in China for about 3 cents a piece, this thing is actually fucking great. The models for both Sanics are on point, it's a nice size, and there's a weight to it so it doesn't feel cheap.

Love it! I hope Sonic 2017 gets the same treatment.

OMG Aero

That limited edition is probably the only time I've ever had reverse buyer's remorse.
I was going to preorder it but then either decided against it at the last minute/left it too late (can't remember which) and regretted it the instant it went out of stock.

I got the LE Generations bundle when it came out and it is indeed quite something. I had the statue out for ages but it's in the loft somewhere after I moved house. It's a very smart package indeed!

Tizoc

2 weeks ago i ordered 2 issues of sonic mega drive from archie's website
I didnt get a confirmation email from them but i do have the order reference
I keep checking to see if it arrived but nothing shows up
I emailed last week and the rep that replied to me said theyll have it sent
If it doesnt arrive at all during this week ill ask for a refund :/

G0523

2 weeks ago i ordered 2 issues of sonic mega drive from archie's website
I didnt get a confirmation email from them but i do have the order reference
I keep checking to see if it arrived but nothing shows up
I emailed last week and the rep that replied to me said theyll have it sent
If it doesnt arrive at all during this week ill ask for a refund :/

I thought I was the only one that had this problem! I ordered the comic (and Sonic #275) on July 29 and I've been checking my mailbox every day. I forgot how long Archie Comics takes to mail out their stuff. I'll probably call them on Friday if I don't get them by then.

TreIII

I think the series and fanbase being as universally made fun of as they are makes it easy for us to have a stronger community, in a weird way.

I don't think it's that strange at all, really.

Take it from a guy who's certainly no stranger to the fandoms of Mega Man and ESPECIALLY Koei's Dynasty Warriors games, as well. The latter which I think was comfortably wearing the pariah hat for many years until Zelda Musou actually gave others a chance to try the damn games for themselves. When all you have are each other in a fandom, you either drive each other crazy, or the bonds you forge end up being that much stronger.

It's why I ended up actually getting a little choked up when I saw that old Sonic Fan Games front page posted in the Mania topic. Much less that there were other old heads who knew who NetRaptor was. Stuff like that just doesn't go away, even when you're more of a "lapsed and jaded" sort of Sonic fan, like I am! :)

Thank you for the kind words TreIII :). Honestly at a point right now where if I didn't write a lot or interact with the community......I would be in a very dark place right now. Happy that people enjoyed my work and plan on helping foster more positive vibes through articles I write and future Retrospectives I produce.

No prob at all! Again, I can't say enough about how much of a joy it was to read 'em. Can only hope that the new games leave enough of a mark that you eventually give them their due, as well, some day!

RK128

I don't think it's that strange at all, really.

Take it from a guy who's certainly no stranger to the fandoms of Mega Man and ESPECIALLY Koei's Dynasty Warriors games, as well. The latter which I think was comfortably wearing the pariah hat for many years until Zelda Musou actually gave others a chance to try the damn games for themselves. When all you have are each other in a fandom, you either drive each other crazy, or the bonds you forge end up being that much stronger.

It's why I ended up actually getting a little choked up when I saw that old Sonic Fan Games front page posted in the Mania topic. Much less that there were other old heads who knew who NetRaptor was. Stuff like that just doesn't go away, even when you're more of a "lapsed and jaded" sort of Sonic fan, like I am! :)

No prob at all! Again, I can't say enough about how much of a joy it was to read 'em. Can only hope that the new games leave enough of a mark that you eventually give them their due, as well, some day!

Oh, don't worry. EVERYTHING Sonic falls under my Retrospective on the series, so will be covering a lot of Sonic next year ;).

Thank you for the kind words and I'm happy you enjoyed the Retrospective :D! Sonic is a series that the fans stick together on, as the Sonic community here is great (talking about Sonic Gaf, not the NeoGaf gaming side when I say this). It was an honor to see people come back to the series after giving my spin through the series a look :).

Tizoc

Don't they still do the whole "6 to 8 weeks for delivery" bullshit or has that generally been improved w/ comics across the board?
Ugh i hope thats not the case =_=
Ill email them again today and see whats up at the very least id like a tracking # or reference

Zalman

finally said fuck it and bought something I always wanted:

That's the LE for Sonic Generations, only released in Europe. And what a shame that is, because it's actually one of the best LE's I've ever seen and a worthy LE for celebrating the 20th anniversary of Sonic. You can tell whoever was behind is was a diehard fan, as there is so much attention to detail here.

Just look at the box. Minimalism at its best. The two faces of Sanic is all you need here. Very clean look that I'm a huge fan of.

The thing comes jam packed with stuff, including a documentary and soundtrack celebrating all Sonic music, but my favorite items are the art book, which includes a ton of artwork from pre-Sonic 1 to Sonic 06 to Generations and everything in between:

and the statue of Classic and Modern Sonic:

Unlike most hunks of plastic included with video game LEs that look like they were mass produced in China for about 3 cents a piece, this thing is actually fucking great. The models for both Sanics are on point, it's a nice size, and there's a weight to it so it doesn't feel cheap.

Love it! I hope Sonic 2017 gets the same treatment.
I got this when it came out. Probably my favorite Collector's Edition ever.

Sciz

It would be... odd, I think, for the big reveal trailer to declare "three playable characters!" only for PR to turn around and start hinting "we actually meant four ;)" under a month later.

Also, we still haven't seen either of the not-Sonic-himself characters in action, yet, so teasing a fourth before we even see the second or third seems silly.

just picked up Sonic Rush Adventure CIB for $13! is it good?

I like it a lot better than the original Sonic Rush. Sonic Rush was kind of a mean game with very small margins for error. I actually found the original Sonic Rush to be kind of frustrating my first time through; it wasn't until I went back and replayed it a couple times and got more familiar with level layouts that it started being fun.

Rush Adventure has a much more even difficulty curve throughout the game. Better level design, too. That being said, Rush Adventure is also where Dimps stopped giving a shit about art direction and not everybody likes the increased "Adventure" elements. There's more story, an overworld with traversal minigames, and sometimes you have to grind out resources to unlock the next level.

But I still love it regardless.

Top Bottom