• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Nintendo decided to fuck the chicken last night, I see.

4FF9xvZ.gif

BlackJace

The Cranky hype thread was actually really fun. I really don't see why people get themselves into a rage after these things. I was expecting Smash, but I smiled when Tropical Freeze came out of Geoff's mouth.

The Cranky hype thread was actually really fun. I really don't see why people get themselves into a rage after these things. I was expecting Smash, but I smiled when Tropical Freeze came out of Geoff's mouth.

Yeah, I thought it was silly people were raging considering it was speculated that Cranky was going to be the reveal.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'd been too busy to write up something for A Link Between Worlds and I wanna.

I love that game so much. So well-designed in a lot of spots, and was eager to keep playing it.

That shit archived at all?
He said he'll upload it hopefully tomorrow.

I've got a pretty strong top 10 this year, I think, with a definitive #1. I don't think I felt this strongly about a year of games since 2010. I noticed the difference in '10/'13 and '11/'12 is Nintendo actually showing up on consoles this year. 2010 had SMG2, DKCR, S&P2, Red Steel 2, and Sonic Colors, '13 has Pikmin, W101, WWHD and SM3DW, and while not all these games made my final list, I quite enjoyed them and they feel like something I can be passionate about.

oh and I also wrote a thing about dat new 3DS Zelda. SPOILERS there will be probably be an abridged version of this as one of my GotY write-ups so if you don't wanna open your gifts early, buyer beware.
I ain't reading that until GotY yet, but people told me that your writeup is good. I hope I can make a comparable one when I'm finished my exams.

But, like, 2010 and 2011 were really strong years, though. Or strong platformer years. 2010 was probably the stronger year since it had like... Infinite Space, Sonic Colours, SMG2, S&P2, Resonance of Fate, Tales of Graces f, Bayonetta, Deadly Premonition, Mega Man 10, Assassin's Creed II, Trauma Team, Arc Rise Fantasia, KH:BbS, and a load of other stuff. I guess 2010 had more variance. I remember just all-out posting a top 20 back then cuz I couldn't leave stuff out.

Hold on is Time Travelers that game with art by Gurihiru?
My LTTP 2012 is prob. gonna be VLR, but I'm playing Binary Domain and Darksiders 2 as well atm, so I'll see if they can qualify.
Nope. Not even remotely the same artstyle. L5 did the art.

Waiting to make a dynamic entrance, as you can see talking about the corners of a race track was all I needed and now we've gone one better, I've been summoned, sort of.
Actually I meant to post yesterday but couldn't think of anything worthwhile to bring up but GotY related stuff I can chip in on.

I have 10 in mind, actually I have more than 10 so the last few spots are still up in the air. What I don't have is a definitive number 1 which feels weird, my top 5 or so are pretty equal with each other so I don't really feel like there's one game that is championed as a true number 1 this year that I can throw all of my goodwill behind.

I've played enough games from last year this year to completely change what my list from last year would look like with at least 4 new additions , though that's not really surprising since I think a few of us here came to the conclusion that last year was pretty weak by comparison to the years around it, I think Hotline Miami would take away my LTTP 2012 award, I was right to at least give its soundtrack an honourable mention last year.

Shifting on further to soundtracks this year, they fall into a similar spot to the games, once again I have nothing I've really nailed down as a winner.
I didn't have a definitive number 1 last year, so I just took the game that I had the most reactions to, or the one that I just liked the most. 2012 was incredibly hard in that there wasn't a lot of stuff that I liked at all, so my list differed from a lot of people's (like my affinity with everyone else was pretty awful).

I don't think I have a definitive number 1 this year, either. I might have to re-evaluate and think about stuff that stood head-and-shoulders above everyone else. I have a few ideas of what they could be, but there's just a lot of good stuff this year. Even in years like 2010 and 2011, it was easy to pick what stood beyond everything else for me (ex: 999 in 2010 and Skyward Sword in 2011). So I might be in the same boat where I feel like 5 or so games are in the same bracket with everything else falling a little beyond.

ah... the thing about no puzzles makes it a bit of a harder sell i'm afraid. there's probably a fear that everything would have to be dubbed and that would make it far costlier as well. i heard about the 428 connection, and that was a game someone i know really pushed to bring over, but i guess it was too japanese and vns were too unproven at the time.

i forgot about tokushu houdoubu existing. not sure why that didn't come over, but apparently part of it was due to work being set aside for dangan ronpa already (i don't know).

i'd like to see far east of eden make it. i've heard good things, and i guess it's pretty rooted in japanese culture too. although the way i've heard it is that it's a satire of how the west views japan. never played it or anything, but always wanted to.

oh man, that's right. that actually should count in timetokill's thread, i think (not sure how he handles regions).
As long as it comes out in your region for that year, I think you can vote for it. Whenever I play something imported, I have to specify if I did.

The Tengai Makyo games are very good. I dunno if Konami is even bothering to do anything with those games at all, but I'd like to see them do something with it. It was always noted for its scale and humour. Some of them are also absurd, moreso absurd than Earthbound, making for a good time (TM4, especially... since it takes place in 1890s North America). I mean, I love Shadow Hearts and what it does with alternate history, with the third game taking the cake where you have to go to NY, go to the Grand Canyon, go to Chicago, Escape from Alcatraz, go to Area 51, etc...

But the Tengai Makyo 4 map? LOL. http://i.imgur.com/pimcXCh.jpg (Americans should click on that)

That shit is bananas. I love it. Designed by someone who probably wasn't familiar with American geography. You go to Hollywood, you go to Alcatraz, go to Portland, go through Carlsbad Cavern, etc. If you love alternate history games, Tengai Makyo might be for you.

As for Time Travelers, there's a lot of dialogue. The game took me maybe 30-40 hours to complete the main story 100%, and I haven't done the TT Phone stuff, which would take an additional amount. Everything in that game is voiced, so it'd cost a lot to bring it over. I'd like to see Tokushu Houdoubu come over, just because it was billed as NIS's anniversary game iirc.

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #74
Vocal Track!

Song: It Doesn't Matter
Game: Sonic Adventure
Composer: Jun Senoue
Lyrics: Jun Senoue and Takahiro Fukada

Vocals: Tony Harnell
Guitars: Jun Senoue
Bass: Naoto Shibata
Drums: Hiro Homma
It's the better version. More variation than the SA2 version, and better riffs while I'm at it. vocalist has better vocal colour, too.

I can't listen to the SA2 version that much, haha.

Best thing about Sonic and the Black Knight? Y/N

BHZ Mayor

So, Psychonauts? I'm fucking done. That game has interrupted me for a worthless cutscene in the middle of running around for the last time. Also, the fact that I have to chase everything around to pick it up just kills the game for me. It's not a bad game, but I just don't have the patience to deal with all the small bullshit aspects that add up and make the game a chore. Luckily I picked up Rayman Revolution as well, which so far has worked my nerves a lot less.

So, Psychonauts? I'm fucking done. That game has interrupted me for a worthless cutscene in the middle of running around for the last time. Also, the fact that I have to chase everything around to pick it up just kills the game for me. It's not a bad game, but I just don't have the patience to deal with all the small bullshit aspects that add up and make the game a chore. Luckily I picked up Rayman Revolution as well, which so far has worked my nerves a lot less.

Did you get to the Meat Circus

If the game irritated you already, hoo boy, you are in for some shit

BHZ Mayor

Did you get to the Meat Circus

If the game irritated you already, hoo boy, you are in for some shit

I haven't even finished the Brain Scrambler yet. I stopped after it kicked me out to go learn levitation right before going to save the little blue kid.

Your post almost makes me want to keep going out of morbid curiousity.

I haven't even finished the Brain Scrambler yet. I stopped after it kicked me out to go learn levitation right before going to save the little blue kid.

Your post almost makes me want to keep going out of morbid curiousity.

I honestly think you're better off just leaving the game alone for now if you're not liking it. It's that bad of a level.

I'm assuming you're playing the PS2 Classics version as well, and the PS2 version of the game had some annoying framerate issues, IIRC.

BHZ Mayor

I honestly think you're better off just leaving the game alone for now if you're not liking it. It's that bad of a level.

I'm assuming you're playing the PS2 Classics version as well, and the PS2 version of the game had some annoying framerate issues, IIRC.

Yeah I am. Haven't really noticed any framerate problems (probably just haven't paid enough attention to notice), but the opening cutscene desynced with the audio for some reason. Funny thing is, if I would've played it when it released, I probably would have enjoyed it, considered it came out in the same era as Jak 2 and 3, which I did enjoy at the time. I also 100%ed Donkey Kong 64 back in the day. My patience in games has just taken a huge hit in recent years.

AniHawk

The Tengai Makyo games are very good. I dunno if Konami is even bothering to do anything with those games at all, but I'd like to see them do something with it. It was always noted for its scale and humour. Some of them are also absurd, moreso absurd than Earthbound, making for a good time (TM4, especially... since it takes place in 1890s North America). I mean, I love Shadow Hearts and what it does with alternate history, with the third game taking the cake where you have to go to NY, go to the Grand Canyon, go to Chicago, Escape from Alcatraz, go to Area 51, etc...

But the Tengai Makyo 4 map? LOL. http://i.imgur.com/pimcXCh.jpg (Americans should click on that)

That shit is bananas. I love it. Designed by someone who probably wasn't familiar with American geography. You go to Hollywood, you go to Alcatraz, go to Portland, go through Carlsbad Cavern, etc. If you love alternate history games, Tengai Makyo might be for you.

good to know. if it ever makes it, there might be a good case for success in america. it's already on the japanese psone classics (the first two at least), so that would make it a slightly easier project.

As for Time Travelers, there's a lot of dialogue. The game took me maybe 30-40 hours to complete the main story 100%, and I haven't done the TT Phone stuff, which would take an additional amount. Everything in that game is voiced, so it'd cost a lot to bring it over. I'd like to see Tokushu Houdoubu come over, just because it was billed as NIS's anniversary game iirc.

yeah i have no real idea why that didn't come over. it never seemed to get a mention in interviews at all. it's like nisa just forgot about it.

sounds like time travelers would be prohibitively expensive for a localization. that's too bad.

PKrockin

Yeah I am. Haven't really noticed any framerate problems (probably just haven't paid enough attention to notice), but the opening cutscene desynced with the audio for some reason. Funny thing is, if I would've played it when it released, I probably would have enjoyed it, considered it came out in the same era as Jak 2 and 3, which I did enjoy at the time. I also 100%ed Donkey Kong 64 back in the day. My patience in games has just taken a huge hit in recent years.
I have the PS3 version too, and the opening cutscene desync is a glitch specific to that port.

In terms of pure platforming mechanics Psychonauts is pretty meh but the story and music elevated the experience. It's a fun romp but I would not try for 100% or any kind of mastery.

Which version was it that had a patched version of Meat Circus?

Games I've played from this year:

DmC: Devil may Cry
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Tomb Raider
Saints Row IV
Fuse
Resident Evil 6

Was swamped with work this year and burnt out on AAA releases half way through the year. So not much competition for me, really: MGRR wins so far. I might be able to squeeze Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon in there since I'm gonna be getting it soon...

Anyway, my next game, when I get time next week, will be Dust: An Elysian Tail. If nothing else, I'll be having eyegasms constantly since I absolutely love the art direction.

Noi

My 2013:

Anarchy Reigns
EDF 2017
Corpse Party: BoS
Ni no Kuni
The Cave
Fire Emblem Awakening
Sly 4
Metal Gear: Revengeance
Runner 2
God of War: Ascension
Bioshock Infinite
Guacamelee!
Muramasa Rebirth
Project X Zone
Dynasty Warriors 8
Time and Eternity
Dragon's Crown
Ducktales: Remastered
Divekick
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F
Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix
Puppeteer
Rune Factory 4
Pokemon XY
Assassin's Creed 4
Resogun
Contrast
Knack
LEGO Marvel Super Heroes
Warframe
Tearaway
Zelda ALBW
Ys Celceta

Some obvious ones aside, I'm gonna have to sit down after finals are over and trim the list down...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
good to know. if it ever makes it, there might be a good case for success in america. it's already on the japanese psone classics (the first two at least), so that would make it a slightly easier project.

sounds like time travelers would be prohibitively expensive for a localization. that's too bad.
Well, this fellow says that the usual suspects won't touch it for that same reason. Too costly.

I feel like Tengai Makyo 4 would do well in the US because it's a funny reflection of the country.

Corpse Party: BoS
I keep forgetting that I'd played this and that I'd probably written impressions for it somewhere in one of the Whatcha Been Playin threads. Heck, if I kept posting in the WBP threads on a more consistent basis this year like I did last year, I'd know for sure what I'd played and what I didn't. :/

Kinda sifting through the site looking for impressions for any game I've played in the years I've been on GAF since I'm trying to collate a lot of them into my tumblr. It's easier to keep track of stuff I've played by doing that.

I mean, I wouldn't put something like my El Shaddai Impressions or my Skyward Sword impressions on there because a) they reference other posts in a GAF thread a lot, and b) they have spoiler tags in them. I could theoretically rewrite them, but that's more work than required.

TheOGB

Banned
All these GotY posts have made me realize I haven't really bought many games from this year. I got Anarchy Reigns, Metal Gear Rising, Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon, Poker Night 2, Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon and Pokemon X. I've only finished the first 2. :/

On the other hand, I've got quite a few LTTP GOTY candidates, both from 2012 (Spec Ops, Asura's Wrath, Kid Icarus Uprising, Skullgirls? [PC version/Squigly Edition]) and beyond (LoZ Link's Awakening DX and A Link to the Past).

Sciz

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #75

Song: Badminton
Game: Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games
Composer: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Pertinent questions:

Why can't real sports be scored like this?
Who do we have to convince to greenlight a soundtrack release for this series?
How is Sega this good?

Where the hell's Washington DC? You'd think you'd get the capital of a country when coming up with places from it.

Also, apparently Mexico is part of America, but not Canada. Canada doesn't even exist, it's been replaced with a large body of water. GJ Japan.

Razzer

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #75

Song: Badminton
Game: Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games
Composer: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Pertinent questions:

Why can't real sports be scored like this?
Who do we have to convince to greenlight a soundtrack release for this series?
How is Sega this good?

I don't know Sciz, but what I do know is I love the style they bring. Aww yeah.

Tizoc

Is it me or are people more cranky towards Nintendo and the new DK game atm?

Yo Sciz, you gotta make the next song/theme of the day Knuckles' acapella beat from Sonic 3.

Is it me or are people more cranky towards Nintendo and the new DK game atm?
Well, y'know how it is. They wanted info on a variety of things... more details about X or Smash Bros., or perhaps an announcement involving a game that hasn't been shown off before, like a new Zelda or Metroid (those people conveniently ignoring that Nintendo explicitly said it was for a "previously-announced" game).

Instead, they got
cranky_kong_by_ed_min5guad.gif
eOK3Dvv.gif

So yeah, they're a bit unhappy.

I wonder if their tune would've changed had Amazon not blown the lid off the secret beforehand.

TheOGB

Banned
Where the hell's Washington DC? You'd think you'd get the capital of a country when coming up with places from it.

Also, apparently Mexico is part of America, but not Canada. Canada doesn't even exist, it's been replaced with a large body of water. GJ Japan.
Minnesota/Twin Cities > D.C. confirmed

Top Bottom