• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog getting a 3D classics remake for 3DS

JimboJones

I looked at the images in the link and seriously thought "what is different."
I am still serious, I can't see it from that website. I suppose the 3D effect is supposed to happen when you're playing the game on 3DS, but most other games seem to give you some hint of what to expect when you're looking at screens from a non-3D device... like your computer.

Like this image:

img_ss13.jpg

I can't read Japanese, but I figure that they're showing off the two versions. As far as I can tell, both images are identical except for some saturation. Sorry if I'm missing something obvious here.

I'm sorry but I'm being serious :(

I assumed the image on the right was some kind of filter to make it look like it was on an old TV.
Anyway it's not ment to look all that different, it's ment to look like Sonic 1 with some 3D depth.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Japanese version has scrolling clouds in the background of Green Hill Zone, as well as different spike mechanics (spikes ignore knockback invincibility if you happen to bounce back onto another set of spikes.)

That's all I know off the top of my head.
I was looking around for what the differences might be before you made your post, and it seems like the parallax clouds (and some other stuff) were part of a second version of the game that was released in multiple regions, including Japan, North America and Europe. The spike invincibility thing wasn't changed in Sonic 1 until Sonic Jam.

So...I dunno! Maybe they're just using Japanese and overseas as shorthand for the original versus the revised version.

yeah,no that not even close.
I disagree. After playing Ristar for the first time a couple of weeks ago, It's all I thought about as my long arms stretched and grabbed stuff, swinging from poles, etc. I though was okay at best. Only thing it needed was the combat and tightrope sections. But I did love swimming with him, but that's as fun as it got for me.

The weirdest post.

I am one of the few who enjoyed Sonic 3D Blast, replay it today, and still do. I wish I could say the same for Sonic R, but it's a pretty bad game. The funny part is however, as I get better at it (and start coming in first without even trying) I start to like it. It's weird. lol

qq more

All the rest are in widescreen and most of the originals are remade in polygons, so I don't know what you're talking about.
Oh, I was thinking of Kid Icarus and Kirby (the only 3D classics I own). I don't think Sonic 1 honestly needs a visual update anyways. So I think just adding the 3D to it is fine. Although you're right that wide screen would be a nice option.

Er... no? Lower resolution (meanwhile 3DS has the perfect res) and I heard there's slowdowns. No thanks.

Slermy

Come on Sega, release this stuff over here!

I swear, if Sonic 2 gets this same treatment, I think I'll have to import a Japanese 3DS.

As far as I know, the emulation in that collection is pretty damn sketchy.

I picked it up for novelty sake, and aside from a slightly wonky aspect ratio the emulation's decent, at least on a DSi. I think I MIGHT have read something about it taking advantage of the extra memory on the DSi though.

bomma_man

Is there a reason they don't do more 3D Classics? I like the idea, but there have been very games.

It's way more work intensive than they originally thought. Basically assets in most 2D games aren't arranged in the orderly fashion that they appear to be. It's not as simple as flicking a 3D button.

DeVeAn

What the hell is going on at SEGA of America? No PSO2 no Yakuza 5 no talk of anything worth while? Ugh.

As far as I know, the emulation in that collection is pretty damn sketchy.

Er... no? Lower resolution (meanwhile 3DS has the perfect res) and I heard there's slowdowns. No thanks.

I've never tried it. Good to know, though.

Kirby and Kid Icarus have borders to display in their original resolution, so I don't know what you're talking about.

Oh, I was thinking of Kid Icarus and Kirby (the only 3D classics I own). I don't think Sonic 1 honestly needs a visual update anyways. So I think just adding the 3D to it is fine. Although you're right that wide screen would be a nice option.

You're right, they do. They're also the laziest (and ugliest in KI's case) remakes of the bunch.

Stop. Just... stop.

You stop.

First off, don't buy that collection; IIRC it has speed and sound issues that kind of ruin the whole thing.

Second off, I'm pretty sure most of the 3D Classics line doesn't use polygons.

I know for sure Excitebike and Urban Champion are fully remade in Polygons. I'm not so sure about the rest, but some look like they have animated sprites as textures over polygons.

Is there a reason they don't do more 3D Classics? I like the idea, but there have been very games.

The 3D classics are harder to remake than they might seem at first, as they effectively need to go back to the original code and rewrite it so it can do the new 3D effects with the background and such, it's not like virtual console where they just slap it in the custom emulator with a few minor engine adjustments and release it.

I think Nintendo felt a lot of people were making the conclusion that these were glorified roms with needless 3D stuck on top, and despite best efforts (making Excitebike free to early adopters, making the Kid Icarus remake a freebie with the 3DS game preorder) found it was too much effort for too little gain. Thus why maybe Nintendo and Sega are being a little gunshy about sticking this on the western e-shops right now.

Also ever since Sega started cutting down their community staff, things have been very quiet on the western front bar for the Sonic Dash iOS release and Sonic 1 and 2 iOS announcement. The mention of different Sonic 1 versions, spin dash toggle, and the CRT version makes me wonder if Sega japan also got the Retro engine modded to work on 3DS - also the icon for Sonic 1 makes me hopeful that it's part of a series rather than a one-off (Sonic signpost holding one finger up, bet Sonic 2 will be a signpost with Tails/Sonic holding 2 fingers up...)

Yes Boss!

I assumed the image on the right was some kind of filter to make it look like it was on an old TV.
Anyway it's not ment to look all that different, it's ment to look like Sonic 1 with some 3D depth.

Well, if it is like the others than it is M2. You know their "CRT" mode is going to be exquisite.

Berordn

You're right, they do. They're also the laziest (and ugliest in KI's case) remakes of the bunch.

Twinbee and Xevious are the same, which means Excitebike and Urban Champion are the only ones they bothered to do anything with. All the options and the CRT border in this version of Sonic 1 seems pretty nice to me.

Daingurse

It would be ridiculous if this doesn't come to the West. I thought Sonic didn't even appeal much to the Japanese anyway. But on the other hand, dat Japanese 3DS install base.

SeroTyler

First one to talk gets to stay on the aircraft!
Is there any real point to this with Taxman remaking all the OG games in Retro Engine? Other than THREEE DEEEEE?

Twinbee and Xevious are the same, which means Excitebike and Urban Champion are the only ones they bothered to do anything with. All the options and the CRT border in this version of Sonic 1 seems pretty nice to me.

Well, Super Hang-On and Space Harrier are also in widescreen and they're part of this same line of Sega's 3D Classics, making this Sonic one the odd one out. The other options do look nice.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The original Sonic has too much shit that can squash you and has two underwater levels (and I mean mostly underwater, none of this Hydrocity or Chemical Plant nonsense)

I've been asking for this since the 3DS came out.

I actually made a collection of 3D Mockups in MPO format. If you go to "suretobeband.com/3ds" on the 3DS browser, it'll take you to a page with a bunch of 'em. Click on any of them and it'll download the 3D MPO. I had a lot of fun making them, and it seems like it'd be easy enough for developers to stick this in their older games.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Nintendo: Look guys, we tried converting a few basic-ass 1st run NES games to 3D, but it was haaaard. We quit.
Sega: Hey guys, want some motherfuckin' arcade and 16-bit games in 3D? No probs, we can do one every couple months.

cloudbot

Neo Member
I looked at the images in the link and seriously thought "what is different."
I am still serious, I can't see it from that website. I suppose the 3D effect is supposed to happen when you're playing the game on 3DS, but most other games seem to give you some hint of what to expect when you're looking at screens from a non-3D device... like your computer.

Like this image:

img_ss13.jpg

I can't read Japanese, but I figure that they're showing off the two versions. As far as I can tell, both images are identical except for some saturation. Sorry if I'm missing something obvious here.

The Japanese on the left says "Normal" and the right says "Classic"

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
If it comes to the US I'll buy it, partially because I want to play it, but mostly because I want to encourage them to do the same to Sonics 2 and 3

Top Bottom