• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog: Movie Review Thread

mcjmetroid

Seems to be doing decently and far from the train wreck people expected.
NOW AT 70% ON RT!

IGN Review:

DAY 1!

Last edited:

Fake

Metacritic score is not so good, but I still gonna give this movie a try as a Sonic fan myself.

Saber

Gold Member
Why even use IGN? Those clows barelly review games, what would they know about movies?

Anyway, still got fair scores on Rotten so it might be a good sign. Gonna wait for some real movie critics and see what they tell.

mcjmetroid

Why even use IGN? Those clows barelly review games, what would they know about movies?

Anyway, still got fair scores on Rotten so it might be a good sign. Gonna wait for some real movie critics and see what they tell.
Was the only non 'YouTuber' vid I could find at the time.

DESTROYA

Fuck that, you couldn’t pay me to watch this shit, maybe I’ll watch if on TV in a couple of years for free.
I like SONIC games but think as far as the story goes will be bored to death. Hard pass for me.

I just got back. Lifelong Sonic fan, thought I'd go for the lulz.

Strangely good script, strangely good dialogue, strangely good characterization... in a 2020 live action Sonic the Hedgehog movie.

It's a perfectly harmless entertaining film that somehow avoided the many, many pitfalls it could have fallen into.

Don't ask me how they did it, don't ask me why... but they did it.

Sonic was actually worth watching.

Last edited:
Everyone said the pickachu movie was kind of good and it sucked. So...everyone is an idiot. I'll wait for this on internets to make my own judgement.

Last edited:
Sonic 64%
Harley Quinn 60%

lol

Edit: Checking myself, I see Sonic is now 47%, whoops. Still gonna see it though.

Double Edit: I confused Metacritic with RT. Fuck 'em both anyway innit, make up your own mind.

Last edited:
So what you're saying is... it's rating higher than TROS?

3OKT34ISXRCGHGBGEQXTVCVXR4.jpg

Stoned Gremlin Productions (AKA: Brad Jones/ Cinema Snob):

They both liked it. Brad said it wasn't a perfect movie, but it is a perfectly fine movie for kids and those who like Sonic. The other guy reviewing liked it too.

Chris Stuckmann:

Gave the movie a 'B'.

Electric Playground Network:

Victor Lucas said it was the best videogame movie he has seen to date, for whatever that means. His daughter also loved it.

JoBlo Videos:

If you are a Sonic fan, you will probably like it. Kids will probably like it. Average movie goers: it's not half bad. Jim Carey chews up the scenery like it's 1995. Supporting cast is a bit underused.

GameXplain (spoiler free):

Slightly flawed but enjoyable movie. Pacing drags a bit in the third act. Some contrived plotpoints to push the plot forward (expected). A little too much focus on the human characters. Jim Carey steals the movie (also expected). Good for kids. "Solid Liked"on the GameXplain reviewer scale

Nerdist(spoiler free):

Human cast is entertaining, JIM CAREY (all caps) is very energetic. The character Sonic is not as fun to watch as he could have been. Thought Ben Schwartz was given some annoying lines of dialog. 2.5/5

Appsolutely Geek'D (spoiler free):

Great movie for kids. Good adaption of the source material. Jim Carey kills it. Some character story threads go nowhere or fizzle out. One of the best video game adaptions he has seen. 7.5/10.

Last edited:
My wife and I are going to see it tonight, as it's the single most romantic thing we could think of to do on Valentine's Day.

I have no expectations to be good, but I appreciate the casting of Jim Carrey as Robotnik and the guy that played John Ralfeo on Parks and Rec voicing Sonic, and if nothing else, I'm happy to supporr a movie listening to fan criticism and course correcting away from an obvious mistake.

Why not, some more reviews...

AngryJoeShow :

Joe gave it a 'high' 8/10. Other Joe gave it a 7/10. Joe's brother (forget his name): 7/10. Spoilers in the second half of the video.

Black Nerd Comedy (Andre the black nerd) (spoiler free):

"Adored the movie", he saw it twice in one day.

Jeremy Jahns:

"Simple review, simple movie, I enjoyed Sonic the Hedgehog." Enjoyed what Jim Carey brought to the movie, the redesign made it work. Fun time, good for kids.

Channel Awesome:

Doug and Rob were not so enthusiastic about this movie. They called it a clichéd 90's movie with every trope imaginable. neither of them really liked the road trip aspect.

Last edited:

McCheese

So much better than Pikachu.

This has a plot that is actually sustainable into a future franchise.

Cast seemed to be enjoying themselves too.

As others have said, this seems about as good as one could reasonably make a film about sonic the hedgehog.

mcjmetroid

AngryJoeShow :

Joe gave it a 'high' 8/10. Other Joe gave it a 7/10. Joe's brother (forget his name): 7/10. Spoilers in the second half of the video.

Black Nerd Comedy (Andre the black nerd) (spoiler free):

"Adored the movie", he saw it twice in one day.

Jeremy Jahns:

"Simple review, simple movie, I enjoyed Sonic the Hedgehog." Enjoyed what Jim Carey brought to the movie, the redesign made it work. Fun time, good for kids.

Channel Awesome:

Doug and Rob were not so enthusiastic about this movie. They called it a clichéd 90's movie with every trope imaginable. neither of them really liked the road trip aspect.

Channel awesome lol.

I tend to agree with Jeremy Jahns on 90% of his movies so I trust him. Going to see it tomorrow.

Erdrick

I'm heading off to see it in an hour or so. Kind of looking forward to it after hearing positive things. Still keeping expectations low, however.

It was a genuinely good, light hearted, cartoony but earnest, family friendly movie.

Easily a 7/10 for me. Go see, especially if you've got children.

Javthusiast

Banned
Made the same on opening weekend as BoP in 2 weeks, lmao. Even overtook Detektive Pikachu as number one opening for a game adaptation.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

AngryJoeShow :

We need a cringe rating.

It's not a goon movie, it has a ton of cliche's and plays things too safe which is fine for kids but not much else. Several poor plot and dialogue decisions across the movie as well.

But it's not trash or anything either, but people are calling it "good" or "decent" only because it isn't as bad as they though it would be but they are still rating it too high, almost any other film would have gotten lower scores using the game generic and poorly paced formula. There are some good parts to the movie, some.

Made the same on opening weekend as BoP in 2 weeks, lmao. Even overtook Detektive Pikachu as number one opening for a game adaptation.

Sonic is beating Detective Pikachu's box office numbers in the domestic market. But I think worldwide, Detective Pikachu may have edged it out a bit in its opening weekend. But Sonic does have strong momentum right now.

kdkiqIJ.png

Overall, Sonic has made $111 million worldwide, according to BoxOfficeMojo. Really impressive, actually. Maybe the movie will hit $500 million worldwide, when its done?

mcjmetroid

So finally watched it. I won't go into too much detail until tomorrow but it was good fun I thought. It told a smaller story very well and what's what you need.

Doom85

Channel awesome lol.

Yeah, I still enjoy some NC reviews, but Doug (and Rob when he joins him) has just gotten the biggest stick up his ass lately when it comes to movies he's seeing now in theaters. Now, I might have just said, "well, maybe he just genuinely dislikes all these films", but then when he did his Toy Story 4 review, he said this stupid shit: "now, there were plenty of laughs in my theater when I saw it, but they sounded more like pity laughs." WTF is this nonsense? First of all, who pity laughs at a movie? It's not like the movie's feelings are going to get hurt! And also, how would one even tell the motivation behind a laugh? No, it's clearly just Doug feels his opinion will be less valid if there's evidence plenty of people did enjoy it so he has to weave this BS narrative. That's the kind of nonsense I expect from random message board users ("everyone hates this movie! Don't bother checking to see if that's right, I need my echo chamber!"), don't lower yourself to that, Doug.

mcjmetroid

Yeah, I still enjoy some NC reviews, but Doug (and Rob when he joins him) has just gotten the biggest stick up his ass lately when it comes to movies he's seeing now in theaters. Now, I might have just said, "well, maybe he just genuinely dislikes all these films", but then when he did his Toy Story 4 review, he said this stupid shit: "now, there were plenty of laughs in my theater when I saw it, but they sounded more like pity laughs." WTF is this nonsense? First of all, who pity laughs at a movie? It's not like the movie's feelings are going to get hurt! And also, how would one even tell the motivation behind a laugh? No, it's clearly just Doug feels his opinion will be less valid if there's evidence plenty of people did enjoy it so he has to weave this BS narrative. That's the kind of nonsense I expect from random message board users ("everyone hates this movie! Don't bother checking to see if that's right, I need my echo chamber!"), don't lower yourself to that, Doug.
Doug just always came off like a phony to me. Kinda like some youtubers.

When you watch James Rolfe review a movie you hear passion and no fakery. With Doug I hear fake.

Could just be me.

cryptoadam

Banned
Not bad for a kids movie. I give it the slight edge over DP, but they were both pretty equal.

Sonic and Robotnick were the best parts, and the ending made me wish that had been the way things were the whole way with Jim.

The stuff with Tom was mainly blah and was just there to move the story along and have your usual tropes for these movies. Tom came around to Sonic kinda out of the blue, but whatever you needed it for the whole arc of the movie.

This isn't Citizen Kane here, but for a movie about a Video game Blue Hedgehog aimed at kids its the best you could have expected.

Sonic is fun, Jim Carrey is fun, the movie has a good message, and a few decent laughs. Kids will love it and I think adults can enjoy it, doubly if you are a SEGA fanboy.

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
This was really good fun. They nailed robotnik, he was funny but they did a good job of showing him as being intelligent and sinister. Very pleasantly surprised.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
It's not a goon movie, it has a ton of cliche's and plays things too safe which is fine for kids but not much else. Several poor plot and dialogue decisions across the movie as well.

But it's not trash or anything either, but people are calling it "good" or "decent" only because it isn't as bad as they though it would be but they are still rating it too high, almost any other film would have gotten lower scores using the game generic and poorly paced formula. There are some good parts to the movie, some.
Huh so this is basically the new Pokemon game in a movie format. Cool.

Erdrick

Saw it today. Kept expectations in check and was quite surprised at how I enjoyed it. Great starting point if they plan on making another. Jim Carrey was worth the price of admission alone.

Sahnic gotta go fhast

I grew up with sahnic, in fact the first vidya games I finished were sonic 1 and 2.

But I'm all growed up now. It would be creepy going in a theater. I will have to wait for a post-cinema release.

What are you a registered sex offender?

Just trying not to look like one. I went to see another film and the sonic session was full of kids and moms. Fuck that. But seriously I despise little brats and don't want to hear pitched shrieks in the cinema. EVER.

Last edited:
Top Bottom