• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Unleashed TGS Gameplay Footage - Epic!

Tailzo

Werewolf level looks like a combat Ristar kinda game. Not bad, but I wish the ennemies would die faster.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
It looks SO GOOD :D :D :D :D

Edit: Wow, the Wii version really doesn't look that bad either. :D :D :D

Wurm

Banned
I think someone needs to learn what "epic" and "megaton" mean when the gameplay shown is just the same levels endlessly shown from other expo's.

Classic Sonic Team production: level 1 will be polished and brilliant. The rest will be glitchy, sub-par shit.

ShadiWulf

Ten-Song said:
Hey, that actually doesn't look that...

Dammit!
Yeah... that was my thoughts too, atleast the day time levels look nice :lol seems like a Sonic game can't exist unless it has a gimmick these days.

pswii60

Same old 3D shit. Pointlessly running really fast without any real feel of control, lame camera, bad controls, general lameness. Those are the vibes I'm getting. And no, I haven't played it before some smartass asks.

The 360/PS3 Sonic the Hedgehog game looked good too. It was shit. This will be shit.

EDIT: OK, the Werehog footage looks a shit load better. Not quite enough for me to start eating crow though.

Gagaman

Wii version is clearly based on PS2 quality graphics (secret rings and black knight look far nicer visually) but the gameplay looks alright, and seems to have a lot more 2D perspective stuff than the 360 version so far. Not sure if want yet but it looks kinda fun.

Teknoman

pswii60 said:
Same old 3D shit. Pointlessly running really fast without any real feel of control, lame camera, bad controls, general lameness. Those are the vibes I'm getting. And no, I haven't played it before some smartass asks.

The 360/PS3 Sonic the Hedgehog game looked good too. It was shit. This will be shit.

EDIT: OK, the Werehog footage looks a shit load better. Not quite enough for me to start eating crow though.
:lol how do you get a bad control vibe then? Lots of hands on have already said the game controls well.

Also it really sucks when gameplay videos have horrible players at the helms of the controls.

MarkusRJR

Teknoman said:
:lol how do you get a bad control vibe then? Lots of hands on have already said the game controls well.

Also it really sucks when gameplay videos have horrible players at the helms of the controls.
I'm getting the same vibe mainly from all of the non-sega produced gameplay videos of the game. In these videos Sonic seems to constantly crash and slide around making the game look like it controls badly.

Teknoman

Yaceka said:
I'm getting the same vibe mainly from all of the non-sega produced gameplay videos of the game. In these videos Sonic seems to constantly crash and slide around making the game look like it controls badly.

Well looking through all the extra homing attack button pressing and people who cant seem to hold the analog stick straight, you can kinda of see they are on the right track. Just a little disappointed that Gametrailers didnt show the platforming sections of both types of stages. In videos from that french gaming event earlier, you could see plenty of platforming in the first stage...however the video quality was lacking.

But yeah, Sega should put out some official videos with people who know how to play (i.e. not using a homing attack during a MMX style wall jumping segment).

pswii60 said:

agreed

See the second part of that werehog video? where he's climbing poles then swinging on beams? I've been saying since the werehog was first announced that those kinds of platforming elements were what needed to be emphasized. The werehog segments COULD be great if there were a lot of really tight, tough platforming mazes like those. The fighting stuff has looked blah for a while, but that platforming looks good IMO.

Remember this is the first level. Who knows, by the end, the werehog levels might be 90% stuff like that. Sort of how the first levels in sonic features only a little bit of grinding, but by the end the level is almost entirely made out of rails.

Also did anyone see Sonic rolling in the Wii video? As in, doing the "Super sonic spin," and not the spin dash?

Fucking finally. I can't believe that move has been gone from 3D sonic this long. We haven't really seen it since Sonic Heroes.

Apenheul

Hmm it seems the gameplay is exactly like Sonic and the Secret Rings, the only difference being sidescrolling parts that's.. the same.. just from the side. I'll have to wait for reviews on this one, didn't like The Secret Rings at all.

Apenheul said:
Hmm it seems the gameplay is exactly like Sonic and the Secret Rings, the only difference being sidescrolling parts that's.. the same.. just from the side. I'll have to wait for reviews on this one, didn't like The Secret Rings at all.

But it's not. It's very fundamentally different in that you directly control sonic. It's not on rails, you don't automatically move forward.

AniHawk

Apenheul said:

They have you press A for something, which leads me to believe it's gonna be remote+nunchuck.

Incidentally, Sonic & the black knight - while on rails like Sonic & the Secret Rings, is ALSO going to be different in that it uses the analog stick. I'm not sure if you'll always run forward like you did in sonic & the secret rings, but at the very least you'll use the analog stick to move left and right instead of tilting the wii-mote.

Apenheul

TheSonicRetard said:
But it's not. It's very fundamentally different in that you directly control sonic. It's not on rails, you don't automatically move forward.

It's not? Hmm, that good to hear, excitement back.

Azure J

As much as I am a staunch advocate of old school Sonic > new school Sonic, color me impressed by these new videos, especially the Wii one with it's emphasis on 2D. (I'd kill for Sonic 3 & Knuckles redone like that, no extra gameplay tweaks either). It's back on the radar for now, so don't disappoint me Sonic Team!

JimiNutz

Banned
The Wii footage looked hot, the Sonic 360 gameplay looked OK, and the Warehog 360 gameplay looks diabolical.

Game looks fun. The werehog bothered me at first but once I saw it in motion it didn't look bad. It looked like it even could be fun. Wii version looks amazing. If it's almost entirely 2d in the day time levels I may have to go with that one.

adamma666

uh, the werehog level does not look very promising, imo. like a poor mans God of War with much less awesome. it seems so damn slow and boring as f***.

the Sonic level is promising, but i also loved the Sonic-levels in the Adventure-games. the controls seem very sensitive, i hope it was just due to a bad player. crashing left and right into the walls and missing all the rings makes me skeptical.

dear Sega, when will you learn that nobody wants to play anything ather than Sonic in a Sonic game? cut out all the crap and give me highspeed plattforming.

When the Wii vid started and you saw Sonic from behind, you could've fooled me into thinking it was the 360 version for a brief moment, it was really the different HUD that was the main give away that it was the Wii version. (Besides of course the vid being labeled as the Wii version, I'm just saying...)

The graphics for the most part are great! But Black Knight definitely looks better. Now it's just a question of what each game's framerate is.

AndyD

aka andydumi
The rails part reminds me a whole lot of Ratchet. I know Sonic has had rails before, but in 3d... thats what they look like to me.

The werewolf parts are OK...

And I hope the speedy parts are Vsynced and locked at 60fps, frame jumping and screen tearing would be so apparent at that lateral speed... BUt it looks great, far more promising than most sonics in the past decade or so.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Balb

Why are those lame enemies still in the 3D Sonic games? The game looks nice but it appears to have many of the issues that the other games have.

Firestorm

Did you link to the wrong video? I clicked the first Unleashed video and saw a level we'd seen already but this time giving less hope by showing a Sonic that clearly controls like he did in Sonic 2006.

Could you link to the epic video please?

Edit: Andrex. Same to you. Are you sure you linked to the correct video?
Edit2: This video looks decent: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41109.html

Top Bottom