• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Unleashed (Wii) new screens

king zell

206.jpg

205.jpg

204.jpg

207.jpg

203.jpg

193.jpg

194.jpg

195.jpg

196.jpg

197.jpg

198.jpg

199.jpg

187.jpg

188.jpg

189.jpg

190.jpg

Ydahs

Looks pretty good. Nothing mind blowing but acceptable I guess.

Should look much better in motion, especially if it's running at 60fps.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I can't tell if this looks good or not. Actually, that goes for most wii games that aren't obviously terrible. It weirds me out.

Amir0x

Banned
JonathanEx said:
But ONM told me it'd look identical!

But in SD!

Anyway at this point it's not the graphics that worry me, it's the Werehog in both versions. I can't...exactly...ever get excited for console Sonic titles anymore. It's always a trap.

But you know, thinking on Megaman 9... imagine a rad 2D revival on WiiWare/PSN/XBLA. DS had the fanastic Sonic Rush.

I might be wrong but at least a few of those screens seem old? And I thought the game had progressed past blob shadows?

It actually looks pretty decent for Wii, but my hype for the game is pretty damn low right now, for all versions. Werehog FTL.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Looks good, I suppose, but I don't believe they should be attempting to emulate the PS360 version of the game as the results are a bit messy in places. They could also really use some mipmapping.

I was really kind of hoping the Wii version would aim for a different style more suited to its hardware. Had the Wii version offered a significantly different experience, I might have picked it up along with the PS360 version (provided they turned out well).

dark10x said:
Looks good, I suppose, but I don't believe they should be attempting to emulate the PS360 version of the game as the results are a bit messy in places. They could also really use some mipmapping.

I was really kind of hoping the Wii version would aim for a different style more suited to its hardware. Had the Wii version offered a significantly different experience, I might have picked it up along with the PS360 version (provided they turned out well).

I don't think the 'realistic' environments are well suited to the Wii's hardware. The more fantasy orientated locales in Secret Rings definitely looked nicer.

Black Knight will very likely be a better game for Wii, but that's not saying much either, if its premise is any indication.

FightyF

Banned
JonathanEx said:
But ONM told me it'd look identical!

Looks like the level design will be completely intact. Sure, the real time shadows took a hit, but it looks like some of the pre-rendered lightmaps stayed.

I find it odd that it seems TOO much like the other versions and don't use the Wiimote to it's full potential...in terms of gameplay.

dark10x said:

If this does run at 60 fps, I'm fine with no mip-mapping. Things look a bit crisper, to me, anyways. Sub 60 fps and I would agree.

byproduct

The Amiga Brotherhood
Nice screens wont get me excited for Sonic.

Sonic needs to be like the Sonic-based action levels of Sonic Adventure, all strung together in linear level format with no in-between exploration, shitty friends, RPG elements, weapons, or alternate forms (were-sonic).

I CAN'T BELIEVE AFTER ALL THIS TIME THEY STILL HAVEN'T TRIED TO DO THIS. FUCK.

Otherwise we're just looking at another attractive disaster.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
byproduct said:

Sonic needs to be like the Sonic-based action levels of Sonic Adventure, all strung together in linear level format with no in-between exploration, shitty friends, RPG elements, weapons, or alternate forms (were-sonic).

I don't think Unleashed has any adventure stages. I thought it was just a series of action stages (divided between regular Sonic and 'Werehog').

batbeg

Maybe it's just the effect of seeing bad shots next to my having played SatSR, but this looks way worse than that :-\

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
dark10x said:
I don't think Unleashed has any adventure stages. I thought it was just a series of action stages (divided between regular Sonic and 'Werehog').

They said it would have a Hub city with NPC's and "adventuring" IIRC.

Luckily...

byproduct

The Amiga Brotherhood
dark10x said:

Oh I didn't mean to say it has. That's just one of the things they've used to ruin what could have been much better games. I'm sure the werewolf mode, or something else completely unnecessary, will ruin this game too. They always have to ADD something, they can't just make it about sonic, platforming, and speed.

Prove me wrong Sega.

Blueblur1

byproduct said:

They did. it's called Sonic Heroes and it sucks.

Syril

byproduct said:

You can always pop in Sonic Adventure and run through all the levels on Time Trial mode.

loosus

Banned
So what's the catch?

Bleeding, cannot-be-deciphered speed?

Shitty, floaty controls?

Buggy hit detection that makes me die from running through a solid wall?

Ability to fly through levels by running with the occassional jump thrown in for good measure?

Retarded cutscenes with voice acting and production values that make my eyes and ears bleed?

Excessive and unexplained load times?

What will it be, GAF? Or, is Sonic Team cooking up a new batch of shittiness that we cannot possibly predict?

Amir0x

Banned
loosus said:
So what's the catch?

Bleeding, cannot-be-deciphered speed?

Shitty, floaty controls?

Buggy hit detection that makes me die from running through a solid wall?

Ability to fly through levels by running with the occassional jump thrown in for good measure?

Retarded cutscenes with voice acting and production values that make my eyes and ears bleed?

Excessive and unexplained load times?

What will it be, GAF? Or, is Sonic Team cooking up a new batch of shittiness that we cannot possibly predict?

I thought we had all settled on Werehog.

Yup, Werehog.

byproduct

The Amiga Brotherhood
Syril said:
You can always pop in Sonic Adventure and run through all the levels on Time Trial mode.

I just wish the devs would show more faith in the core gameplay mechanic, and let it hold the game up on it's own, instead of padding and adding stuff.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Looks worse than Secret Rings, but if they can make the gameplay match the PS360 trailers, I'll bite. Hard.

Gagaman

Looks like having a PS2 version has meant the Wii version doesn't look quite as good as it could have done. There is far less detail in the scenery than there was in Secret Rings. Still, at a solid 60fps it would be nice enough and Wii screenshots ALWAYS look worse than they do on the TV screen, at least to me they do (and I'm running it off a LCD at 480p, so it has nothing to do with an SD telly hiding the mis-perfections).

JonathanEx said:
What the fuck? That game is the DEFINITION of Shitty Friends.

byproduct said:
Wasn't that a shitty friends game? I actually missed that one.
The gameplay was almost identical to the action stages of SA1/2. I think that maybe the reason people didn't like it as much was because the levels had a lot more platforms and obstacles that you had to navigate, which showed off how shitty and broken the controls were. SA1/2 had the same shitty control mechanics, but it wasn't such a big deal because you could get through most of the action stages by holding up and occasionally jumping.

ivysaur12

Banned
Secret Rings looked better.

I'll pass unless it gets good reviews. Black Knight is where I'll be getting my Wii Sonic fix, I guess.

ivysaur12 said:
Secret Rings looked better.

I'll pass unless it gets good reviews. Black Knight is where I'll be getting my Wii Sonic fix, I guess.

Black Knight is pretty much the only game where the Sonic Cycle went backwards.

It's still gonna suck though...

Blueblur1

The game looks okay. I fully agree with some of you when you say that the realistic environments aren't the best choice for the Wii version. If it were a little more stylized (like the environments in Sonic Adventure 1 & 2) it would look much better.

Haruspex

Banned
I can't seem to drum up any enthusiasm for Sonic games these days, just isn't interesting anymore. In fact as a character he is an irritating little git which makes half-baked games harder to appreciate. I don't have any faith in Sonic Unleashed, especially not on Wii.

Blueblur1

I checked the GameSpot images and then I saw some of the Werehog images. Right there in one of the screens was a health bar above the heads of the enemies. Hitting enemies multiple times is such a dumb concept in a Sonic game where ideally you'd want to destroy them quickly and get back to running.

I hated it when it was Sonic Heroes, when it was in Sonic Rush, when it was even in Sonic 2006 and I still hate it now. I'm really pissed off by it. >:|

I found scans of the latest NP featuring a new SU Wii preview. That's all the user showed (the source being a Sonic site must've had something to do with that...) so I didn't see Oboro. :(

Anyway, the scans show new shots, and finally of the China level (two shots of that), plus some new Werehog in Europe shots.

Here's the new info:

SONIC:
-Move with control stick (natch), jump with A.
-Quick step (dodge left or right by holding B and tapping the control stick left or right).
-Drift by holding B or Z.
-Homing attack by shaking the Wiimote.
-Shake remote while on ground for speed boost.

WEREHOG
-Swing remote and nunchuck to attack with Sonic's right and left hands, respectively.
-Z blocks.
-Combos by swinging remote/nunchuck up, down, or towards each other.
-B grabs and tosses enemies.
-C brings out "Unleashed mode" where you gain new attacks and take less damage.
-Grab enemies in midair and swing from them by swinging the remote like a pendulum.
-Climb poles by lifting the remote/nunchuck alternately.
-Raise gates by pulling up the remote/nunchuck together.

LEVEL INFO
European city of Spogonia.
The desert is Shamar.

botticus

Hero of legend said:
I found scans of the latest NP featuring a new SU Wii preview. That's all the user showed (the source being a Sonic site must've had something to do with that...) so I didn't see Oboro. :(

Anyway, the scans show new shots, and finally of the China level (two shots of that), plus some new Werehog in Europe shots.

Here's the new info:

SONIC:
-Move with control stick (natch), jump with A.
-Quick step (dodge left or right by holding B and tapping the control stick left or right).
-Drift by holding B or Z.
-Homing attack by shaking the Wiimote.
-Shake remote while on ground for speed boost.

WEREHOG
-Swing remote and nunchuck to attack with Sonic's right and left hands, respectively.
-Z blocks.
-Combos by swinging remote/nunchuck up, down, or towards each other.
-B grabs and tosses enemies.
-C brings out "Unleashed mode" where you gain new attacks and take less damage.
-Grab enemies in midair and swing from them by swinging the remote like a pendulum.
-Climb poles by lifting the remote/nunchuck alternately.
-Raise gates by pulling up the remote/nunchuck together.

LEVEL INFO
European city of Spogonia.
The desert is Shamar.
Mind if I steal this when I write up my summary?

botticus said:
Mind if I steal this when I write up my summary?

Sure, it's now my typing, as I found that in the same source as the scans.

Edit: How's it coming along, just type up the Muramasa summary and post the thread!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hero of legend said:

What? Last I heard this was mapped to Z and B. Disappointed now. :(

Top Bottom