• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Unleashed - World Adventure Continues

RK128

ps3_sonic_unleashed-110214.jpg

This game did a lot for the series, so much a lot completely changed. I don’t exaggerate when I say this game is the most ambitious Sonic title Sega & Sonic Team ever produced. It has issues but I will say right away; I find this to be a really great game.

AwesomeSonicpic.png

Lets dash our way to the history, shall we.

This game’s origins stem back in 2005, with the development of a new engine, called the Hedgehog Engine.

ss_2012-06-24_at_01.52.19.jpg

My, why does that name sound familiar? To be serious, this is an impressive engine, being made by a big programmer/developer from Square Enix and the results speak for themselves.

1654056-hedgehogengine_demo.jpg

So, its clear that amazing looking games can be born from this game. What game do you make with this engine? Why, a big-budget Sonic title of course! Why else would you call the engine ‘Hedgehog Engine’ then?

Development of the game started after 06 shipped to retail and Sonic Team was in major disarray. Not only is the team fractured from Naka leaving with a good deal of Sonic Team Staff, but you have the rest of Sonic Team working on two projects going through issues (Colors Team making Secret Rings in a year, with it originally being a port of 06 for the Wii/Another part of Sonic Team making a Nights Sequel for the 360/PS3 but it being shoved to the Wii after internal issues within Sega).

So…..they needed more help :l. Izuka took charge of Sonic Team after Naka left the studio and hired a lot of new programs from west and east. Then, he asked “What do you think of Sonic? What should a game staring him be like?” then everyone said with little issue “Speed of course. That is what made the Genesis games and Sonic levels in the Adventure games so much fun”.

What happened was this basically:
Sonic Rush’s Boost Mechanic + Secret Rings Behind-the-Camera Style + Sonic Adventure’s scale and core 3D gameplay = Sonic Unleashed Day Levels

And the Modern style was born!

latest

350px-Junglejoyride.png

latest

Beautiful levels and they have decent design to boot. While not nearly as open as Sonic Adventure, they offer extra paths to push getting the best times through levels…..sounds familiar? That is what Sonic Adventure 2 did but with Sonic Adventure 1’s core mechanics. Unleashed feels like an evolution of what SA2 tried to do and its was nice seeing that here.

The core gameplay systems work like this though. Sonic has one button for jumping….

S-Sonic has multiple buttons for different actions!? My….it took years for this to happen but….FINALLY! This makes playing with his entire moveset so much more rewarding!
Okay, going back to what I was saying before…..*cough*

Sonic has the Sonic Boost, Sonic Drift (Ha!), Light Speed Dash, Slide, Stomp, Homing Attack, Wall Jump, Quick Step and Air Boost.

Wow, that’s is a lot to take in! Okay, will explain things better.
-Sonic Boost/Air Boost: High-speed action activated when pressing Square/X and it allows you to run through robots with little issue. The more rings you get, the more you can boost. This also allows you to run across water in some zones.
-Homing Attack: Mapped to the Square/X button, Sonic can fly toward robots in the air when pressed (only when the lock-on icon appears). Mixed with the Air Boost….making things a bit tricky. But a lot better than issues with Light-Speed Dashing/Bounce attack in SA2.
-Sonic Drift: Allows Sonic to get across tight corners with little issue…..in Generations and Colors. Here, if you are boosting when using this, it works like crap. Skyscraper Scamper day comes to mind here…… It works well when not boosting though. (L2/R2 in PS3 version)
-Quick Step: Pressing L1/R1 or the bumpers in the 360 version, Sonic can quickly dash left or right when running.
-Slide/Stop: Mapped to the Circle button, Sonic can slide and stop. Sliding is helpful when getting through tight places while Stomping is for pushing down switches.
-Light Speed Dash: Mapped to Triangle/Y, you can get across trails of rings.
-Wall Jump: As described; Sonic bounces from wall to wall.

A lot to process honestly! But a lot mapped to different buttons makes everything work well. Hopefully that breakdown explains things well enough.

The level design is interesting, as it’s a hybrid between the Genesis games and the Adventure games. This was the very first time Sonic goes into 2D during a console game in decades; something that made many happy when first announced.

Sonic-Unleashed-5.jpg

But the style of level design is styled after Sonic Adventure 2; heavy focus on forward-level design with extra paths pushing the speed rather than expansive exploration. This isn’t a problem at all, as we still get a healthy amount of 3D platforming in Jungle Joyride and Dragon Road for example. Just something to point out, as it’s something Generations tries fixing for a few stages.

The game has four issues, with one of them being how Day Sonic ‘feels’. He feels like a race car, not a platforming character.

But my second issue pops up a lot in the Day levels; the frame rate. I’m not sensitive to frame rate issues in games but Unleashed really required swift inputs and the PS3 version has really bad frame rate problems in Eggmanland and Jungle Joyride Day.

So, overall, Day Sonic has some great sections and gameplay that really shine strong.

But it’s not just high speed thrills this game offers but some of the best story content in any 3D Sonic and a gameplay style that many are outright mixed on.

We are going to wait until night time for the other gameplay style but I hope you all enjoy my thread :D!

TROP010.PNG

Now that its night time we can move on to th-

Sonic%20Unleashed%20-%20Werehog%20Run%20Render.png

Wow, guess someone got in a bad mood XD!

Guess its time to cover this style of gameplay, The Werehog.

Now before I talk about this style, I have to say one thing.....I'm one of the oddballs that enjoy his levels :).

sonicunl038.jpg

*Cough*

Moving on to these stages, we get a hybrid of a standard platformer with God of War style combat. Every night level is mixed in this way, with some leaning on one over the other.

06-468x.jpg

sonic_unleashed_54.jpg

One thing I like about the Werehog is his controls. You hold one of the bumpers to run, two face buttons for light/heavy attacks, one button to jump, left shoulder button to block, right shoulder button to use Unleashed mode and lastly, the circle/B button to grab foes.

sonic_unleashed_37.jpg

This leads to a fun combat system that opens up the more you level up and unlock moves. Forgot to mention this, huh....okay, lets backtrack a bit to explain things :).

sonic_bored_9701.jpg

Chill for a sec, gotta explain this first.

Okay, so as you destroy Eggman's robots, eat food in the hub world and collect yellow experience orbs, you can upgrade you're abilities. This effect's Sonic's Day and Night forms and will explain each one.

Day Sonic:
Speed - Um....you go faster of course! Gotta go fast after all ;).
Boost Meter - Increases how much you can boost.

Night Sonic:
Stamina - Increase you're health bar (which refills as you collect rings)
Combat - Unlocks new moves you can pull off
Power - Increases damage you're moves deal
Shield - Increases the amount of shields you have at once (they refill over time but use it too man times, it breaks)
Unleashed - You're rage mode. Just a mode that makes Sonic move faster, deals blows swifter and his power output is much stronger.

The Werehog isn't just a button masher, as he has a lot of moves to play with.: http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Skills_(Sonic_Unleashed

But....this leads to my only issue with the Werehog; you start out with such a small moveset, the game's structure is all out of wack.

With the Night levels of Unleashed, All the foes are the same power level throughout the game outside of the DLC stages (which I will get to latter on), leading to you not having any real motivation to play with his moves. But this also leads to a game's design being fumbled up a bit; because the game isn't structured to force usage of moves you may not have, it leads to the game not forcing you to use the moves you get.

Basically you have no motivation to use you're large moveset when you end up getting it as the game progresses. It leads to combat being to simple despite the hidden depth it really has.

Otherwise, I like the Werehog a lot here :).

sonicunl038.jpg

Common, let me explain at least :l.

Anyway, I like how polished he feels to play as. Coming from 06 to this, one would imagine that Sonic Team couldn't juggle multiple play styles. But I feel that they nail the Werehog just as much as the Day levels; both control well, have distinct styles that work and are both enjoyable.

The level design is enjoyable, with platforming moments having Sonic stretch....his...arms :l? Looks like Sonic is taking a few lessons from another Sonic Team hero ;).

latest

Ristar's power is to use his arms to pull into objects and foes, so Sonic's night form doing this isn't that much of a shocker.

His stages like the day levels look great too:
latest

latest

Like their look and its a nice reflection of the high-speed day levels Sonic runs through :).

Overall, the Werehog is fine; nothing outstanding, nothing horrid. The best comparison I can give the Werehog to a prior Sonic game is....the Mech Levels in SA2. They weren't horrible but they had there moments that are a lot of fun :D. Sure they took away from the fun speed levels but they were fine on their own and complement the speed stages well enough.

I will agree it DOES distract from the speed stages Sonic runs through but considering this style was made by Sonic Team to not make the game 2-3 hours long (Izuka really said this, not lying here), it is quite enjoyable.

latest

Story:
Most Sonic games prior to Unleashed tried to have a serious story.....with two specific games falling flat on their face attempting that X(.

But Unleashed just.....'gets it', so well that it tops future Sonic plots and is the template I want future Sonic stories to follow.

The game opens up with six minute long, opening CGI movie. Its.....amazing honestly, give it a watch guys :D.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...QEBJ7udUbr0uNhrBHCWzDA&bvm=bv.114195076,d.dmo

It got me HYPED when I first played this on my Wii in 2008 and again in 2011 when I played on my at the time-new PS3.

Sonic meets a little flying imp creature, who he calls Chip:
tumblr_lntw6eyLiE1qdtw9eo1_500.jpg

He lost his memory when Sonic crashes his face into the Earth:
hqdefault.jpg

So, he goes on a journey to restore power to the drained Chaos Emeralds with help from his buddy Tails, his new friend Chip and a new character called Prof. Pickle.
Pickle.png

This journey is really great, as unlike 06, its light hearted AND serious. And yes, when it gets serious, you take it seriously as its done well here. Eggman is a creditable villain but at the same time, he still has great moments with Orb....I mean Ergo and some encounters with Sonic are nice.

But my favorite parts of the game is, well, Sonic. He is himself again in a mainline game! He sounds older, he gets shit done, and compared to past games, his cheese is not even present that often. He has the funny scene or two but I really liked his incarnation in Unleashed.

Chip isn't an annoying character to me, as he is the Tails of this game. He has a backstory that goes into detail latter on and his interactions with Sonic are funny. This is shown through some unlockable scenes that you get throughout the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txJufR1y5Y4

Really shows how Sonic and Chip become good friends :).

Overall, the story is very strong and one element I greatly enjoyed from Unleashed :D.

Music:
Man, this soundtrack rocks. This is one of the first times Sonic used orchestrated pieces and deviates from the heavy rock focus the Adventure games had. Like 06, its pieces are quite varied and I love these tracks :).

Lets jam away to some great tunes :D!
tumblr_mp2ovoOcrF1sn7paqo2_250.jpg

Endless Possibility
Apotos Day/Night
Windmill Isle \/Night
Tornado Defense Act 1
Mazuri Day/Night
Savannah Citadel Day/Night
Egg Beetle
Spagonia Day/Night
Rooftop Run Day
Adabat Night
Jungle Joyride Day/Night
Holoska Day/Night
Cool Edge Day/Night
The World Adventure!
Gaia Gate
Dragon Road Day/Night
Chun-Nan Day
Arid Sands Day
Skyscraper Scamper Day
Eggmanland Day/Night
Egg Dragoon
Perfect Dark Gaia
Rekindled Light
Always
Dear My Friend

This soundtrack is amazing for a lot of reasons. Not only is it high quality, like every Sonic score, but it is so grand. You have calming pieces, you have action packed pieces, you have sad pieces and you have really moving pieces.

One of the finest, scores in any Sonic title.

Sun and Moon Metals:
latest

Remember power stars in Super Mario 64? Now take the fact the game made it clear you had to get these and multiply the frustration with level-caps for each zone based on your metal level and you have the metal system here.

This isn't an issue, if you are an explorative gamer who searches everywhere for items in the levels. But the Day levels were not designed for this kind of hunting :(.

Between the camera not responding and level design clearly tunnel focused, getting all the metals in the Day Stages is not a fun experience.

The Night levels its a lot better, as you are already trained to think "I'm not running, so I'm taking my time looking for things", so hunting for every metal in the night levels isn't an issue. In fact, between exploring the hub world, keeping a sharp eye during day levels and trying to get every metal during night stages makes this a non-issue.

.....But out of my four issues with Unleashed, this is my biggest problem. It creates an artificial level cap for the game and if you just want to run though everything, it creates really annoying backtracking X(. I can defend a good deal of this game, but the Metal system is something I cannot defend at all.

It sucks and it is a big issue with Unleashed.

Wii/PS2 vs. PS3/360:
This is interesting, as Unleashed wasn't a PS3/360 only game, as it came out on the Wii and PS2 (that's right, it came out on PS2 XD) as well.

This poster helped clarify some things with the Wii version.

Wii/PS2 Version:
-More Werehog stages (1 in HD version vs. the 3-5 in the SD version)
-Werehog combat very different; no combos and focus on button/motion control mashing
-Day Levels completely different, designed by Dimps (who made the Sonic Rush series)
-Mazuri and Empire City's stages (Day and Night) cut from the SD version
-Werehog focused more on platforming then combat in SD version
-Hub worlds are replaced with Gaia Gates to explore. Clearing levels with S Ranks unlock Sun/Moon metals which can unlock more lives, concept art, music and more.
-Eggmanland is much easier compared to HD version
-No Upgrade system for Day Levels; Boost Meter upgrades within the levels as you collect more rings. Night levels have more streamlined upgrade system.

The Wii version does look nice at points and its impressive seeing it in action :).
latest

latest

wii6.jpg

PS3/360 Versions:
-Far more moves for the Werehog
-Greater focus on Day Sonic's levels with many optional missions to complete, extra acts to unlock and DLC that you can buy (for both Day and Night)
-Night levels have better balance between combat/platforming
-Night level platforming more rewarding then Wii version
-Controls better in HD version
-Eggmanland very challenging and far different from SD version
-Hubs more expanded in HD version. Small hubs to walk around in and Entrance Stages that house act gates and extra goodies to find.
-Supported with DLC; 7-8 DLC packs for both HD versions that expand the content from the base game. Makes the ratio of Day and Night stages a lot more fair (with equal amounts with all DLC purchased).

sonic-unleashed-screen-2.jpg

latest

As someone who fully beat both versions........HD version hands down. The Werehog is a massive improvement over the Wii/PS2 version and I hated the fact there was such a pitiful amount of Day content in the Wii version.

I'm sorry but I really don't like the Wii version. Would like how it handles the Metals though (making you get perfect runs even more rewarding for both Day and Night).

- - - - -

Overall thoughts on Unleashed are positive. I think this is a great game despite my four major gripes and I feel the HD version was a great step in the right direction for the series. It has issues and they range from minor to horrid depending on your preference but overall, I really liked this game :).

My next venture in the Sonic series is going to be a game I never played before, so hope you all look forward to it :D!

latest

Zalman

The best thing I can say about Sonic Unleashed is that it laid the foundation for Colors and Generations. The Modern Sonic gameplay introduced in this game is really good. I hope they continue building off of that in the future. There are endless possibilities.

Ferr986

As far as I know Naka wasn't even on Sonic Team anymore when Unleashed happened.

The director was the own programmer of the engine, Hashimoto, and Sonic Team got a lot of new staff for the game, hence why it's vastly different from the usual formula.

Anyways, I liked the game, even the Werehog. Fights with the Werehog were boring, but when it tried to be a slow paced platforming with some TR elements, it was fine.

Day stags were better although slightly too speed focused. Colors and Generations refined the formula adding more platforming.

It also gave a well needed change on art design, with more charming enviroments, humans, and a slightly redesigned Sonic (shorter, more rounded).

RK128

As far as I know Naka wasn't even on Sonic Team anymore when Unleashed happened.

The director was the own programmer of the engine, Hashimoto, and Sonic Team got a lot of new staff for the game, hence why it's vastly different from the usual formula.

Hence my comment in the OP with him ditching Sonic team. But didn't know the latter information you listed. Thank you for sharing that :D!

Unleashed has some fantastic daytime levels, but the whole thing is so bloated with tedious padding that I personally could never finish it. If it wasn't the Werehog slowing the action down, it was the medal collection grinding it to a complete halt.

Falk

that puzzling face
;). Will post a link to your amazing remix once I start covering the games soundtrack, don't worry buddy :D.

Hahaha, I don't particularly care about that, was just in a frisky mood. ;p

I honestly still think that this was one of the best games of the PS360 era, but had expectation management about as bad as Brutal Legend.

Ein Bear

This game would be so much better without the 'collect medals to unlock levels' mechanic. Coupled with the over-abundance of lengthy Werehog stages it just destroyed the pacing of the game.

The daytime stages were fantastic though.

Overall, I enjoyed Unleashed. I didn't even mind the nighttime stages. I never finished it though because the last level was just too frustrating. I'd like to go back to it eventually though.

iavi

If unleashed was just the daytime levels in would be one of the best games in the Sonic series. Everything from the graphics to the soundtrack were top-tier. The werehog sections, though, they bring it down to I can't even finish it levels.

That said, I'm glad as hell the daytime levels were modded into the PC version of Generations.

Ferr986

Werehog stages weren't really that long but the fights with a low leveled Werehog slowed them down.

As I said, Werehog would be WAY better with less fights. The werehog stages that were more platform heavy like Sky scrapper scramper were fun (and DAT MUSIC!!)

Btw, I'm gonna be the first one to say it: the DIMPS version (PS2Wii) sucks. Dat downgrade on level design...

Holy shit, do I loathe this game. Some of the worst level design and progression I have ever seen. To this day, it's the only Sonic game I couldn't finish.

I'd like to add, I saw this short film at Joypolis on Odaiba once that was made with Unleashed in mind. I thought it was pretty cool but it was a bit awkward because I was the only adult there not accompanied by tiny children.

Ogodei

As a Nintendo-only owner, my memories of this are less fond (though fonder than my memories of Generations because i never got to play that on the big screen), so part of that colors my perceptions, but not a lot about this game really stood out to me. Stages were pretty, but also felt too "real" in some cases. Werehog was a fun action-game-lite, but again not especially memorable. Autorun Sonic with linear stages was a mistake to continue (it actually started in Secret Rings, but that could be forgiven because that game was obviously an experiment), and it bothers me that the daytime stages became as popular as they did. Generations apparently made some headway in fixing the problems, and Lost World finally got the 3D portions right (although, as a fan of Adventure and Heroes, i'd say it's a solution to a problem that wasn't really a problem).

Overall, mediocre and forgettable, but not bad.

Autorun Sonic with linear stages was a mistake to continue (it actually started in Secret Rings, but that could be forgiven because that game was obviously an experiment), and it bothers me that the daytime stages became as popular as they did. Generations apparently made some headway in fixing the problems, and Lost World finally got the 3D portions right (although, as a fan of Adventure and Heroes, i'd say it's a solution to a problem that wasn't really a problem).

The levels may be linear, but you're not constantly accelerating. Generations definitely had more platforming focused 3D level design, though opinions are split on whether or not that approach was better than Unleashed's.

Lost World could've been a decent game, but it crumbled from its terrible level design and gimmicks even harder than Unleashed did.

RK128

Hello guys :D!

Now that its night time we can move on to th-

Sonic%20Unleashed%20-%20Werehog%20Run%20Render.png

Wow, guess someone got in a bad mood XD!

Guess its time to cover this style of gameplay, The Werehog.

Now before I talk about this style, I have to say one thing.....I'm one of the oddballs that enjoy his levels :).

sonicunl038.jpg

Common, its better then treasure hunting with a broken radar and dealing with Pothead the Porcupine X(.

*Cough*

Moving on to these stages, we get a hybrid of a standard platformer with God of War style combat. Every night level is mixed in this way, with some leaning on one over the other.

06-468x.jpg

sonic_unleashed_54.jpg

One thing I like about the Werehog is his controls. You hold one of the bumpers to run, two face buttons for light/heavy attacks, one button to jump, left shoulder button to block, right shoulder button to use Unleashed mode and lastly, the circle/B button to grab foes.

sonic_unleashed_37.jpg

This leads to a fun combat system that opens up the more you level up and unlock moves. Forgot to mention this, huh....okay, lets backtrack a bit to explain things :).

sonic_bored_9701.jpg

Dude, you are getting on my nerves man! Chill for a sec, gotta explain this first.

Okay, so as you destroy Eggman's robots, eat food in the hub world and collect yellow experience orbs, you can upgrade you're abilities. This effect's Sonic's Day and Night forms and will explain each one.

Day Sonic:
Speed - Um....you go faster of course! Gotta go fast after all ;).
Boost Meter - Increases how much you can boost.

Night Sonic:
Stamina - Increase you're health bar (which refills as you collect rings)
Combat - Unlocks new moves you can pull off
Power - Increases damage you're moves deal
Shield - Increases the amount of shields you have at once (they refill over time but use it too man times, it breaks)
Unleashed - You're rage mode. If you played God of War before, then you know how this works; Sonic rips foes apart with blood gushing out of them.....WRONG GAME! Sorry, got confused for a minute :'). Just a mode that makes Sonic move faster, deals blows swifter and his power output is much stronger.

The Werehog isn't just a button masher, as he has a lot of moves to play with. Just visit the Sonic Wiki to get an idea of this! Here is the link: http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Skills_(Sonic_Unleashed)

But....this leads to my only issue with the Werehog; you start out with such a small moveset, the game's structure is all out of wack. In most brawlers, foes get stronger over time and because of this, the more moves you unlock the more you end up using them.

With the Night levels of Unleashed, All the foes are the same power level throughout the game outside of the DLC stages (which I will get to latter on), leading to you not having any real motivation to play with his moves. But this also leads to a game's design being fumbled up a bit; because the game isn't structured to force usage of moves you may not have, it leads to the game not forcing you to use the moves you get.

confused_sonic_by_edobean-d4p8fg3.png

Sorry for the confusion XD! Okay, basically you have no motivation to use you're large moveset when you end up getting it as the game progresses. It leads to combat being to simple despite the hidden depth it really has.

Otherwise, I like the Werehog a lot here :).

sonicunl038.jpg

Common X(. Let me explain at least :l.

Anyway, I like how polished he feels to play as. Coming from 06 to this, one would imagine that Sonic Team couldn't juggle multiple play styles. But I feel that they nail the Werehog just as much as the Day levels; both control well, have distinct styles that work and are both enjoyable. The fact his gameplay works at all is impressive, but considering how polished the day levels are, that is a given :D.

The level design is enjoyable, with platforming moments having Sonic stretch....his...arms :l? Looks like Sonic is taking a few lessons from another Sonic Team hero ;).

latest

Ristar's power is to use his arms to pull into objects and foes, so Sonic's night form doing this isn't that much of a shocker. Anyway, it works like Krato's chain blades, as you can swing across polls, use them to climb up objects faster and more. Its fun playing around with this and the Wii version's Night Stages are more platformer-focused too boot, but will talk about that version latter.

His stages like the day levels look great too:
latest

latest

Like their look and its a nice reflection of the high-speed day levels Sonic runs through :).

Overall, the Werehog is fine; nothing outstanding, nothing horrid. His style works, plays well and has none of the BS that other playstyles had. The best comparison I can give the Werehog to a prior Sonic game is....the Mech Levels in SA2. They weren't horrible but they had there moments that are a lot of fun :D. Sure they took away from the fun speed levels but they were fine on their own and complement the speed stages well enough.

I will agree it DOES destract from the speed stages Sonic runs through but considering this style was made by Sonic Team to not make the game 2-3 hours long (Izuka really said this, not lying here), it is quite enjoyable.

Going to cover music and story in the next update, so see you all latter :D!

latest

RK128

I honestly think that this is the best interpretation of 3D Sonic.

I agree, as it does what many of the other 3D games try to do (long grand stories, strong production values, ect) and does it far better than past Sonic's.

I really enjoy this game and I'm glad you like it too :).

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
The daytime stages were awesome. Always thought that. An entire game like that was always going to be good, as Generations is.

Fans have ported all the Unleashed daytime stages to Generations PC, if that counts...

Coming from one of the guys who originally ported it we would love the real game on pc with the original levels and all the dlc done right. Plus I'm one of those that preferred sonic controls in this game compared to generations. Drifting actually felt like drifting and required timing skill compared to gens.

Hopefully it ends up being ported over for me to bring over my reimagined green forest over with it. Shaders were better in unleashed compared to generations. Love both games though.

Loved the Werehog levels was refreshing after playing around in the hub to get to the next destination. Just wish the jungle joyride medal spike wasn't there.

Arcane0ne

The real Sonic Adventure 3,this is one of my favourite Sonic games,sadly is a underrated game.

Oh and i like Werehog stages and gameplay,only hate a little the fighting music.

Jims

I feel like Sonic Unleashed is a little underrated. Not underrated that it's super great, but it has a lot of good things about it that are worth playing. The daytime levels are generally great, and the nighttime stuff range aren't terrible or anything. The nighttime stuff usually suffers from pretty bland level design.

Love that track :'). Going to gush a lot about the music when I get to that latter, as Unleashed next to Colors, CD JP/EU OST, Adventure and Sonic 3&K has my favorite soundtrack in the series :D.

This soundtrack is so good... It's constantly in my recommendations list. I think the mix of general world music stuff and orchestrated stuff (hellloooooo Mario Galaxy) really balanced out the typical Sonic rock/pop stuff. The Apotos day theme is the most relaxing thing ever.

RK128

Coming from one of the guys who originally ported it we would love the real game on pc with the original levels and all the dlc done right. Plus I'm one of those that preferred sonic controls in this game compared to generations. Drifting actually felt like drifting and required timing skill compared to gens.

Hopefully it ends up being ported over for me to bring over my reimagined green forest over with it. Shaders were better in unleashed compared to generations. Love both games though.

Loved the Werehog levels was refreshing after playing around in the hub to get to the next destination. Just wish the jungle joyride medal spike wasn't there.

I would agree a bit about the Day level controls here; drifting without boosting was fun for example :)

Glad you enjoyed elements of the Werehog :D! Thought it was honestly fun at points, so its nice hearing that people enjoyed it.

Honestly, Sonic Unleashed got a lot more negative backlash than it deserved. In no way is this game a great game, but it's also not an atrociously bad game either. The Sonic levels are solid fun and the Werehog levels are at the very least passable. The game is just marred by just how average the night levels are; slogging through them a second time is terribly difficult, especially since the game almost requires you to replay level to search metals.

As other said, the best part of Unleashed is that it laid the foundation for two terrific games to follow and brought Sonic back to a more appealing setting and world.

Cool post. Sonic Unleashed was indeed great: I was genuinely surprised at how fun the demo was.

I'm not usually one to ask for HD Remasters, but I think SEGA should really consider remastering Sonic Generations, Colors, and Unleashed in a single package on PS4/XB1 at 1080p60fps. Why? Well...

1) 60fps makes a difference in these games...like a night and day difference. Playing Sonic Gen on PC felt like a whole new game compared to PS3, which also had a lot of eye-watering screen tear.

2) Sonic Boom failed. Hard. So re-releasing older Sonic games for current gen would be a great low-risk way for SEGA to appease Sonic fans.

3) Tons of people skipped Unleashed just because they heard the werehog levels were so bad. Could be a good chance to just scrap those entirely; maybe include cutscenes for people who actually care about the Sonic story.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I love Sonic Unleashed and for me the best way to play it is play all the Sonic day stages in the HD version then switch over to the Wii Version to do Eggman Land and the final super Sonic boss.

I honestly think that this is the best interpretation of 3D Sonic.

Sonic Unleashed is the game that started to put Sonic on the right track and started to dial back on the crap that Sonic Team piled on him over the years and just made it that you play as Sonic in two different play style.

They also lighten up on the the story and really capture that big grand adventure feel, plus they made Chip really likable.

The later game Colours and Generation borrowed from Unleashed foundation but more refined.

Heck while Sonic Lost World may have been a dud in the game play department Sonic Team still kept it simple as you were playing as Sonic only.

3) Tons of people skipped Unleashed just because they heard the werehog levels were so bad. Could be a good chance to just scrap those entirely; maybe include cutscenes for people who actually care about the Sonic story.

While I would love a remaster, you can't scrap the Werehog levels as that would make the game far too short.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Take the Wii game.

Subtract the Werehog levels.

You'd have a very good game.

Same could be said about the PS360 version as well, but that version also has all that hub world nonsense.

This game kicked ass, highly underrated. First console game I thoroughly enjoyed since SA2.

The Werehog stuff can get a little tedious but it was executed as well as it could have been for being such a ridiculous concept. I really think if Sega had stuck Knuckles in there instead it would have been much better received.

I remember reading rumors that collecting all the Sun Medals would allow you to play as Shadow for the day levels, and all the Moon Medals would allow you to play as Knuckles at night. Kind of wish that had panned out, guess they ran out of development time. I believe Professor Pickle promises you some reward for collecting all of them and Iizuka said Knuckles and Shadow would appear in the game (they don't), so it seems logical.

If this ever gets a PC release I would hope for that to be implemented, you could explain Knuckles having stretchy arms by giving him a Combi Ring or something.

RK128

Going to cover the story and the music so I hope you all enjoy it :D!

Story:
Most Sonic games prior to Unleashed tried to have a serious story.....with two specific games falling flat on their face attempting that X(.

But Unleashed just.....'gets it', so well that it tops future Sonic plots and is the template I want future Sonic stories to follow.

The game opens up with six minute long, opening CGI movie. Its.....amazing honestly, give it a watch guys :D.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...QEBJ7udUbr0uNhrBHCWzDA&bvm=bv.114195076,d.dmo

Sonic storming Eggman's fleet of ships, turning into Super Sonic and plowing through ship after ship, Eggman getting the upper hand and the earth turning into pieces, Sonic turning into his Night form........such a good opening to this game :'). It got me HYPED when I first played this on my Wii in 2008 and again in 2011 when I played on my at the time-new PS3.

Sonic meets a little flying imp creature, who he calls Chip:
tumblr_lntw6eyLiE1qdtw9eo1_500.jpg

He lost his memory when Sonic crashes his face into the Earth:
hqdefault.jpg

So, he goes on a journey to restore power to the drained Chaos Emeralds with help from his buddy Tails, his new friend Chip and a new character called Prof. Pickle.
Pickle.png

This journey is really great, as unlike 06, its light hearted AND serious. And yes, when it gets serious, you take it seriously as its done well here. Eggman is a creditable villian but at the same time, he still has great moments with Orb....I mean Ergo and some encounters with Sonic are nice.

But my favorite parts of the game is, well, Sonic. He is himself again in a mainline game! He sounds older, he gets shit done, and compared to past games, his cheese is not even present that often. He has the funny scene or two but I really liked his incarnation in Unleashed.

Chip isn't an annoying character to me, as he is the Tails of this game. He has a backstory that goes into detail latter on and his interactions with Sonic are funny. This is shown through some unlockable scenes that you get throughout the game and they are great XD!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txJufR1y5Y4

Really shows how Sonic and Chip become good friends :).

Overall, the story is very strong and one element I greatly enjoyed from Unleashed :D.

- - - - -

Music:
Man, this soundtrack rocks. This is one of the first times Sonic used orchestrated pieces and deviates from the heavy rock focus the Adventure games had. Like 06, its pieces are quite varied and I love these tracks :).

Lets jam away to some great tunes :D!
tumblr_mp2ovoOcrF1sn7paqo2_250.jpg

Endless Possibility
Apotos Day/Night
Windmill Isle \/Night
Tornado Defense Act 1
Mazuri Day/Night
Savannah Citadel Day/Night
Egg Beetle
Spagonia Day/Night
Rooftop Run Day
Adabat Night
Jungle Joyride Day/Night
Holoska Day/Night
Cool Edge Day/Night
The World Adventure!
Gaia Gate
Dragon Road Day/Night
Chun-Nan Day
Arid Sands Day
Skyscraper Scamper Day
Eggmanland Day/Night
Egg Dragoon
Perfect Dark Gaia
Rekindled Light
Always
Dear My Friend

This soundtrack is amazing for a lot of reasons. Not only is it high quality, like every Sonic score, but it is so grand. You have calming pieces, you have action packed pieces, you have sad pieces and you have really moving pieces. The Day levels are so filled with life and energy, the Night levels have really atmospheric pieces, and the cut-scene pieces are really well done.

One of the finest, scores in any Sonic title and one that is one of my favorites in this series.

Will be covering the metal system and the differences between the Wii/PS2 and PS3/360 versions next, so see you all latter with that :D.

I would agree a bit about the Day level controls here; drifting without boosting was fun for example :)

Glad you enjoyed elements of the Werehog :D! Thought it was honestly fun at points, so its nice hearing that people enjoyed it.

Yah unleashed made you have too slow down drift some spots. Empire city for example being the biggest one. If you tried boosting and drifting you would die. Generations version of that is much tighter. I liked how challenging it was in unleashed. Would be better ay constant 60fps tho. ;)

Yeah night levels always took more time the first go at them. But that's when you'd explore and collect the medals you'd come back and S rank it later and realize how much leveling up helps.

Dlc levels I think were the most fun. For both day and night levels. Wouldn't mind another game with this kind of approach.

RK128

Yah unleashed made you have too slow down drift some spots. Empire city for example being the biggest one. If you tried boosting and drifting you would die. Generations version of that is much tighter. I liked how challenging it was in unleashed. Would be better ay constant 60fps tho. ;)

Yeah night levels always took more time the first go at them. But that's when you'd explore and collect the medals you'd come back and S rank it later and realize how much leveling up helps.

Dlc levels I think were the most fun. For both day and night levels. Wouldn't mind another game with this kind of approach.

If they had more moves unlocked from the start, I think many would of enjoyed the levels more and they could of made encounters more interesting, demanding you pull off some combos or something.

I will talk about the DLC stages and the SD vs. HD version difference for Unleashed latter, but I did enjoy some of the DLC packs for Unleashed.

Top Bottom