• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic's 2011 20th anniversary game confirmed, multiplatform

ShadiWulf

sorry if this was already posted, don't see it anywhere

We’ve all known it was coming. Every 5 years, starting with Sonic Adventure 2, we’ve gotten an anniversary game. One is considered one of the best games in the series, the other one of the worst. SEGA has made it clear in the last year that they want to repair Sonic’s image, and bring back the elements that made his games fun. Whether they’ve succeeded or not is up for you to decide, but one things for sure, the nostalgia train isn’t ending with Sonic 4 and Sonic Colors. Enter: Sonic Anniversary.

Sonic Anniversary, which should be considered a tentative title for the time being, will be a compilation of Sonic’s best levels from across his career adapted to the current generation of consoles. These levels are said to be a mix of 3D and 2D, though Sonic Paradise was unable to confirm whether or not it would be done via interlevel switches ala Sonic Unleashed, or if the dimension would be relegated to whether the level was 2D or 3D originally. So it is unknown whether there will be any 3D areas in remade classic levels, or all new 2D areas in the remade 3D levels.

What Sonic Paradise could confirm, however, were the platforms: the game is currently slotted for PS3, Wii, DS, and even PSP this time around. The Xbox 360 version is “still under negotiations”, though considering that a next gen Sonic game hasn’t missed the Xbox platform yet, it’s probably a shoe in. This game is believed to be the “Sonic Anniversary” game originally revealed in the leaked Sony document over a year ago. It’s expected to come out at some point during 2011, in time for Sonic’s year long anniversary celebration.

A new Mario and Sonic game was also confirmed, though no additional details where given. Sonic Paradise speculates that Mario and Sonic will have something to do with the 2012 Olympics. Given the trend of the last two games in the series, this is very likely.

To read additional details on how the info was obtained, please visit Sonic Paradise.

http://www.sonicstadium.org/news/2010/10/new-mario-and-sonic-sonic-20th-anniversary-game-confirmed/

Gravijah

"The next Sonic will be a compilation of the best classic levels, from Sonic the Hedgehog’s Green Hill Zone to Sonic Adventure 2, updated for current generation consoles."

I am strangely fascinated by this monstrosity.

bhlaab

Yeah put Sonic Adventure 2 levels right next to the classics so we can have the entire downward spiral in one handy package.

vazel

Banned
Oh gawd at the usual responses. Why hasn't anyone made a haters gonna hate gif with Sonic yet? Seems so obvious...
shrug.gif

Takao

Banned
PSP? 2011? Dudes should've ported Sonic 4 instead as they'd have a base from the iPhone to grab stuff from. As it'll all sell poorly in the end (unless those Backbone Sonic games did well on PSP).

DaBuddaDa

So there's this, Colors, and Sonic 4. How many episodes is Sonic 4 supposed to be again? Seems like a whole heckuvalotta Sonic going on.

vazel said:
Oh gawd at the usual responses. Why hasn't anyone made a haters gonna hate gif with Sonic yet? Seems so obvious...
shrug.gif

Because haters gonna hate is a stupid fucking annoying meme and modern Sonic sucks?

Zen

Banned
Takao said:
PSP? 2011? Dudes should've ported Sonic 4 instead as they'd have a base from the iPhone to grab stuff from. As it'll all sell poorly in the end (unless those Backbone Sonic games did well on PSP).

I've always wondered why we haven't seen more quick easy and cheap ports to the PSP. Sonic 4 would be ideal seeing as it's all sprite based anyway, but even things like the new Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 could easily be a PSP game using prebaked sprites.

YagizY

_Alkaline_ said:
Because haters gonna hate is a stupid fucking annoying meme and modern Sonic sucks?

Yeah and it's not applicable when the majority of sonic games that have come out in the last decade are garbage.

Sounds like they're really going back to Sonic's roots for this game. This is going to be the Sonic game to restore his former glory.

RBH

vazel said:
shrug.gif
Because Sonic has fucking sucked for years now.

Monocle

Could be worse. I might play it for Green Hill Zone. Hope they don't mess it up.

Kusagari said:
I bet they specifically went up to Sonic Adventure 2 to get Shadow in this.
Loik dewd, whuts a heero without his RIVUL?

Takao

Banned
Zen said:
I've always wondered why we haven't seen more quick easy and cheap ports to the PSP. Sonic 4 would be ideal seeing as it's all sprite based anyway, but even things like the new Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 could easily be a PSP game using prebaked sprites.

Yeah, I was sure that Street Fighter IV was going to PSP since it had an iPhone release, but then the "No PC due to piracy" came along...

I guess the major hurdle is that many publishers probably don't want to go back and add whatever % of new content Sony may require for a delayed port. Of course, the easy way around this is launching both versions at the same time.

Firestorm

ColonelColon said:
Sounds like they're really going back to Sonic's roots for this game. This is going to be the Sonic game to restore his former glory.
Going back to rip out his roots and shred them. Hopefully they use this opportunity to learn how to design a level around the core movement mechanics rather than springs and homing attack enemy platforms.

Rlan

It'd be kind of crazy to see it all -- I mean SA2 plays vastly different to SA1 (including the silly "roll" move), plus they'd have to port over a ridiculous amount of different code to get the damn thing working.

If they're going up to SA2, I wouldn't be surprised to see SA2 pop up on XBLA / PSN then.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Well, Ok, could be worse I guess. If it sucks like it likely will, I just don't buy it
until it is dirt cheap since I am a sucker who keeps buying these games at sub-$10 prices

ICallItFutile said:
Anyone else see this as incredibly fucking lazy? More so than collections/ports because they're "updating" only certain levels.
If this is true, I'm actually disappointed. Sonic Colors looks fresh new and fun. This sounds like a best-of collection.
They have a head-start I guess:

sonic%20run%20from%20whale.bmp

WAVE_OCEAN_10_qjpreviewth.jpg

KamenSenshi

ICallItFutile said:
Anyone else see this as incredibly fucking lazy? More so than collections/ports because they're "updating" only certain levels.
It does seem really lazy but maybe it will look mindblowingly awesome.

Top Bottom