• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic's shitty friends talk to you mid gameplay in Sonic Forces

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Just watched some E3 gameplay of Sonic Forces. There's like a radio with a picture in the top corner of a character talking to you while you play. Characters like Vector and Charmy are talking to you while you play, Sonic Heroes style. There literally was a variation of "So many Eggman Robots!" in the gameplay I just watched. This isn't limited to modern Sonic levels either! Oh no. Even in classic gameplay you've got this.

Thoughts?

antibolo

Banned
But since you're a Sonic shitty friend yourself in this game, does this mean that you talk to yourself all the fucking time??

I legit laughed when I saw Silver. I love it (for all the wrong reasons). Sega doesn't give two shits about critic feedback with this game now that they have the Sonic Mania safety net lol.

Having characters talk to you mid-game is not inherently bad. It works really well in Star Fox and Kid Icarus Uprising.
But I have no faith in this being good for this game at all.
My hype for Sonic Forces seems to drop like a rock whenever they show more of the game.
At least Sonic Mania looks great.

It's like Sega took every single complaint about the past Sonic games, let Taxman make a game which solves them completely and gives everyone exactly what they want, and then when we weren't looking decided the best course of action for their effort was to double down on everything.

"Ya know there is lots of stuff to do in Paradise City. Outside of all that Racing and Road Raging stuff, go take out some Burnout Billboards, break some Road Rules, find some new shortcuts, or something big to jump off! Let's explore people, know your enemy, and know your battlefield! This is Atomika, on Crash FM!"

KHlover

Banned
Vector? Charmy?

giphy.gif

I'm not actually too miffed about Sonic's cohort returning just on the fact they're back; fans have wanted them back and with some exceptions (Charmy) I think negative response to them is generally a bit overblown, so fair play. But yeesh this is a naff way to do it. And the speech box takes up a hefty chunk of the screen for longer dialogue to boot, which just looks... bad.

Fancolors

It's not like the level design is going to become better or worse because they talk. Unless the writing goes to Gearbox level writing, I don't mind.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Liquidate Sonic Team. Find more competent fangame creators, give them the money.

Sami+

Well yeah. Forces is all about embracing the stupid shit the franchise became to make the weird fans happy.

If you want actual good gameplay there's a game for that too 👍

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
We all know this is going to devolve into people posting shitty fanart by page 3. Find actual media to discuss, then try again with a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom