• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection

sn0man

How can you even tell SoR3 sound is broken? The whole soundtrack sounds like David Lynch recorded robots fucking.
Bwahahhh that’s perfect.
Got even worse if you turn ON the filters.

After Sonic Mania/Sonic CD port I really wish SEGA leave Taxman (Christian Whitehead) to do all Sonic collection from now.
I would love whitehead et. al. be given the keys to a collection with proper CRT filters and widescreen support.
Then please let them do SM2.
Yes.

But I'm also tired of Sega re-releasing that era of games. Astro City Mini was a nice change of pace and I hope they release some Model 2 and Model 2 games...
SEGA has such a wonderful racing game history. I wish they’d release a $60 SEGA arcade racing collection. At some point licensing might hurt but honestly I’d work Pro Bono to help make that happen.

cireza

This collection was lacking in display options, had some lag, Space Harrier was unplayable.

A good game selection never makes it for unsatisfactory gaming conditions. Especially when the original console and my CRT are sitting there, next to my modern consoles.

I prefer buying M2 SEGA AGES ports one by one, these ports or collections have all the additions and options we deserve nowadays.

Last edited:

Krathoon

I love Sonic but man, I suck so much at these games. I'm not sure what it is about Sonic but I've never been able to get a handle on it.

Anybody remember those Midway Arcade Treasures games as well? They were some absolute classics on those. I spent so many hours on those.

61Y0A9FCT6L._AC_.jpg
I have the xbox version of that. I should get the ps2 version so I can run it in an emulator.

Agent X

Why can't we have a Genesis collection with the third party games like Psygnosis (Shadow of the Beast) , Ballistic (Star Control), EA (Strike series), Bullfrog (Populous)...there are so many. We keep getting the same Sega stuff over and over and over again.

That's a good idea. The problem is that it's difficult to get so many of these companies to collaborate on a single project.

Electronic Arts put out a package called EA Replay on PSP, which had a bunch of their Genesis and SNES games. Now that these retro packs are starting to come back into style, perhaps they could bring out something similar for current systems.

We're also seeing some small collections such as the Aladdin and The Lion King pack, the Turrican packs, and Blizzard Arcade. This seems to be where the trend is going, since very few publishers have a large enough group of desirable games to assemble a huge anthology of all of their games from the period. They'll just reissue their most popular or recognizable games, which sadly means that a lot of other games are being relegated to the dustbin of history.

cireza

That's a good idea. The problem is that it's difficult to get so many of these companies to collaborate on a single project.

Electronic Arts put out a package called EA Replay on PSP, which had a bunch of their Genesis and SNES games. Now that these retro packs are starting to come back into style, perhaps they could bring out something similar for current systems.

We're also seeing some small collections such as the Aladdin and The Lion King pack, the Turrican packs, and Blizzard Arcade. This seems to be where the trend is going, since very few publishers have a large enough group of desirable games to assemble a huge anthology of all of their games from the period. They'll just reissue their most popular or recognizable games, which sadly means that a lot of other games are being relegated to the dustbin of history.
There are a ton of third party games on Sega MegaDrive Mini. Simply buy this.

RAIDEN1

This collection is the only place where you could play Sonic 3 on PS and Xbox seeing as a re-release won't happen anytime soon....what with the controversy of the music..

Last edited:

Agent X

There are a ton of third party games on Sega MegaDrive Mini. Simply buy this.
I already have a Sega Genesis Mini (US version). There are a few third-party games included, which I appreciate, but I wouldn't call it a "ton". Nearly all of the games that E Evil Calvin and I mentioned in our earlier posts in this thread are missing from that device.

I think EA is the only major third-party publisher that has enough noteworthy Genesis games that they could put together a reasonably large compilation (more than 10 games), as they did with EA Replay on PSP. Most of the other Genesis game publishers (even big names like Capcom, Konami, and Activision) only have a small handful of hits on the system.

It's unlikely you'll see large multi-publisher collections of games from a single system like the Genesis. It's more likely you'll see single publishers compiling games spanning multiple systems, like EA Replay and the Turrican and Blizzard collections. Again, this tends to favor the most popular and most marketable hits. Lesser known games might never be brought back to market. The best hope for this would be for someone to start a service similar to Nintendo's Virtual Console, where classic games could be sold individually in a single marketplace.

BlackTron

TBH, between performance problems and always missing games (Sonic 3/K), I avoided all these collections and kept around an old AF genesis. It gives the coaxial input behind my TV a purpose.

Sonic games in particular I feel emulate badly and are extremely important to retain proper speed/input lag/physics. The Genesis Mini is good enough for everything else, or for Sonic as well if I'm feeling lazy. Similar to Turtles in Time or SMW -I'll play 'em on the SNES Mini but still need a real SNES hooked up for when I want to play it "for real". Certain games, NOTHING beats the OG hardware.

Krathoon

I tried running PCSX2 on my laptop to run the Sonic Mega Collection Plus. It runs it fine, but it slows down on Soulcalibur 3.

Top Bottom