• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony’s Shu Yoshida Talks Vita, PSP Lessons, And Nintendo

dayum, he basically just answered every question 100% correctly. Nothin really to see here except that I look forward to the Vita launch

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Lol, he did not give the interviewer what he wanted with those Nintendo questions. Good for him.

The 3DS was not a "direct response" to the Vita's price anyways... (and Yoshida answers appropriately and it is a great answer)

Anasui Kishibe said:
good, respectful answers. It almost sounds as if he's from Nintendo
I don't know why, but I knew he would be that way even before reading the interview and I've never even heard of the guy. It's a nice change of pace. This is why I liked MS' J. Allaird so much. He was just a true honest gamer, who happened to work for MS with none of the crotch grabbing, sucking and mud flinging.

Also, I've heard the rumors but this is the first I've heard confirmation of a second stick/nub on the 3DS. I guess there's no question about waiting for a redesign.

Erethian

Dark Octave said:
I don't know why, but I knew he would be that way even before reading the interview and I've never even heard of the guy. It's a nice change of pace. This is why I liked MS' J. Allaird so much. He was just a true honest gamer, who happened to work for MS with none of the crotch grabbing, sucking and mud flinging.

Also, I've heard the rumors but this is the first I've heard confirmation of a second stick/nub on the 3DS. I guess there's no question about waiting for a redesign.

This is the first time you've heard about the 3DS attachment?

I'm guessing you haven't been on the internet lately.

Fantastical said:
The 3DS was not a "direct response" to the Vita's price anyways... (and Yoshida answers appropriately and it is a great answer)

The price cut itself certainly wasn't, but it's possible that Vita being priced lower than most expected is what led Nintendo to cut the price by $80 rather than $50. I doubt we'll ever know, though.

Thoraxes said:
Exactly. I don't understand why people want blood to come out of all of this sometimes, but yeah, the sensible ones are always outshadowed by those who complain more.
I know.
As much as I like to hate on nintendo for their 'normal gamers are no longer our target audience' (although it is commendable that they at least said it outright rather than be two faced about it), followed by 'jk we need you guys afterall', and their arrogance with 3ds initial pricing and ticking boxes crap : I just kind of revel in them getting burnt atm because it puts them back in their place and will be good for the people who play games in the long run.

I want them to get their act together, not go out of business.
That sentiments is only reserved for the parasites in the industry.

on the topic of updates being annoying: it took me a lot of willpower to sit through the firmware update, demo download, install, then software update for the demo to get to try renegade ops.
The fact that you can't do anything else while installing or updating makes me feel like I'm back in the 90s on slow pcs with slow harddrives that couldn't multitask (well at least they still could, it just wasnt practical).

If vita can't multitask outside of games depite its 512MB of ram, I will be crushed.
Browser + music, patching + browser, music/video + other stuff or gtfo.

theBishop

Banned
Ellis Kim said:
I am so glad that he and Sony are aware of this.

We're already seeing how they're doing it too. Studios that developed exclusively on PSN, are now getting trusted with bigger projects on Vita. And they're developing new relationships with younger studios.

The developers of PAIN (Idol Mind) are working on Ruin.
The developers of Fat Pricess's "Fat Roles" DLC (Fun Bits) are now working on Escape Plan.
Sony recently announced an exclusivity deal with Double Eleven, who are now at work on LBP.

Jigsaw

Banned
i don't want to trade in my collection,it can't be that hard to release an umd drive add on,no matter how ridiculous it may look i'm sure alot of people would appreciate being able to play crisis core or birth by sleep on their vita

and awesome companies like xseed or aksys could continue localizing awesome psp games (i want tits 2&3 and last ranker some say!)

The PSP received many different hardware iterations, to mixed reactions of consumers. Do you think the Vita will experience a similar life cycle?

We haven’t even released the PS Vita, so we don’t have any plans for future iterations.

great opening question, game informer. way to get down to the nitty gritty.

kuroshiki

SneakyStephan said:
I know.
As much as I like to hate on nintendo for their 'normal gamers are no longer our target audience' (although it is commendable that they at least said it outright rather than be two faced about it), followed by 'jk we need you guys afterall', and their arrogance with 3ds initial pricing and ticking boxes crap : I just kind of revel in them getting burnt atm because it puts them back in their place and will be good for the people who play games in the long run.

I want them to get their act together, not go out of business.
That sentiments is only reserved for the parasites in the industry.

on the topic of updates being annoying: it took me a lot of willpower to sit through the firmware update, demo download, install, then software update for the demo to get to try renegade ops.
The fact that you can't do anything else while installing or updating makes me feel like I'm back in the 90s on slow pcs with slow harddrives that couldn't multitask (well at least they still could, it just wasnt practical).

If vita can't multitask outside of games depite its 512MB of ram, I will be crushed.
Browser + music, patching + browser, music/video + other stuff or gtfo.

....When you do firmware update it is safe to do NOTHING other than update. That rule goes with any kind of PC too. I don't see why you are complaining about not able to use PSP while it is doing firmware updating.

Evlar

Banned
Crummy interviewer, good responses. Particularly the "what did you learn from PSP" response. That, in a nutshell, is why I'm excited about Vita.

plainr_

Nice interview. Yoshida is the fucking man.

This bugs me though:

Kagari said:
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...psp-lessons-and-nintendo.aspx?PostPageIndex=2

HD remakes are very popular right now. Can you lend any insight into how difficult it is to update games like God of War and Shadow of the Colossus? From an outsider’s perspective it seems like these HD remakes are relatively easy to make but have high returns for Sony.

For Sony or for third-party publishers. If they are products for the PS2 that people really, really like, and because the PS2 is an SD system, if there are enough people that want to play these games with HD graphics with some updated features like trophy support, 3D support, or network features, it’s going to be win/win for both consumers and publishers. Because as you said, developing these HD remastered versions costs way less than making brand new titles on PS3 from the publishers’ standpoint. So many of these titles, when you look at the pricing of these games, publishers are pricing these games much lower than they do new titles. So people who really like these games on PS2 and like to relive them in HD format, when you try Ico and Shadow of the Colossus in the HD collection, you feel that these games are actually made for HD systems. The vision of [Fumito] Ueda-san really is realized better on PS3, so it’s a complete version of these games. It’s great for your money, especially when you are a new gamer and have never played these games before. It’s a steal. It’s two brand new titles you can purchase for less than buying one new title. So I think as long as there is this happy win/win situation between consumers and publishers, I would expect more titles will come out in this format.

Socom 2 in HD has been the top 10 on PS Blog.Share for ages yet there seems to be no signs of this ever coming to fruition. Pretty sad of Sony and Zipper to treat this franchise like ultimate shit. The true definition of clusterfuck and rage can only be found by visiting the official Socom message boards.

Duffyside

Banned
Billychu said:
This right here. That's why I'm sure the Vita isn't going to be another PSP situation. It's great to hear they've learned what went wrong last time and are committed to fixing it.
Holy crap, could that quote of nailed it anymore? I mean, I guess if it had gone on longer and he mentioned things like the lack of a right analog stick and a dumb UMD format, but really he nailed the most important stuff. He made it seem like he was going to just mention one thing in a PR-bullshit sort of way, but nope. He was totally honest and open and mentioned all the big blunders. Good for him.

"
He came to life. Good for him.
"

Massa

plainr_ said:

This bugs me though:

Socom 2 in HD has been the top 10 on PS Blog.Share for ages yet there seems to be no signs of this ever coming to fruition. Pretty sad of Sony and Zipper to treat this franchise like ultimate shit. The true definition of clusterfuck and rage can only be found by visiting the official Socom message boards.

I don't think there's anything that will ever change that.

Duffyside

Banned
plainr_ said:

This bugs me though:

There's more to a product being potentially successful than a vocal niche. Just because a game has a rabid fan-base doesn't mean another iteration will be profitable.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Father_Brain said:
The price cut itself certainly wasn't, but it's possible that Vita being priced lower than most expected is what led Nintendo to cut the price by $80 rather than $50. I doubt we'll ever know, though.
That's a good point. The "direct response" and making it seem like that was the sole factor is what really irked me.

He handled it excellently, though.

plainr_ said:

This bugs me though:

I think the problem with doing SOCOM 2, a game that arguably people want for the multiplayer is the expense of dealing with all that online business.

The MGS HD Collection won't be including MGS3 multiplayer, Halo Anniversary won't be including multiplayer, etc.

I'd be satisfied with a SOCOM 2 single player in HD, but maybe they don't want to do it because it won't be a complete product or something like that.

Linkzg said:
I think the problem with doing SOCOM 2, a game that arguably people want for the multiplayer is the expense of dealing with all that online business.

The MGS HD Collection won't be including MGS3 multiplayer, Halo Anniversary won't be including multiplayer, etc.

I'd be satisfied with a SOCOM 2 single player in HD, but maybe they don't want to do it because it won't be a complete product or something like that.

I'm assuming publishers want people to play the latest iteration of their multiplayer titles instead of playing old game, userbase and community in new game is important for games that are stil supported by dlc etc.

Demigod Mac

I really hope whatever solution they have doesn't involve trading in the UMD discs for a download credit or whatever. I still feel more value in physically owning a copy. Wouldn't mind it if they made some sort of attachable UMD reader; maybe it could attach to the back of the system and connect via USB.

Linkzg said:

Really? I didn't know that. That's lame as shit, especially Halo because it'll be U$40 bucks for just one game, at least MGS Collection has 3 games.

AranhaHunter said:
Really? I didn't know that. That's lame as shit, especially Halo because it'll be U$40 bucks for just one game, at least MGS Collection has 3 games.

I meant it doesn't include Halo 1 multiplayer. Halo Anniversary does include Halo Reach multiplayer with some new game modes and maps and stuff like that. It's just not the Halo Combat Evolved multiplayer. My analogy is pretty stupid since Halo CE didn't have online multiplayer on the Xbox, only on PC.

OneMoreQuestion said:
And Peace Walker has multiplayer :p

but that's a modern game!

MGS3 online servers and stuff were shutdown years ago

Duffyside

Banned
So anyway I was wondering if anyone can break down the Sony exec hierarchy for me? I don't know who is whose boss anymore. Marcus is running things now, right?

Uh, Halo Anniversary has multiplayer. It's using the Reach engine, but Halo 1 maps...

Edit: Oops, post above me. My bad.

Erethian said:
This is the first time you've heard about the 3DS attachment?

I'm guessing you haven't been on the internet lately.
I think last week sometime I heard it as a rumor, here. When was it officially announced?

JWong

Banned
Dark Octave said:
I think last week sometime I heard it as a rumor, here. When was it officially announced?
They didn't really announce. It's like the WiiU console. They silently announced it with pictures.

Duffyside

Banned
Hoping the delay to my question about the Sony exec hierarchy is due to someone actually taking the time to map it out, creating this ridiculously complicated family-tree of names I sorta know but not quite.

saichi

Kagari said:
It’s suspicious that Nintendo is releasing a second circle pad attachment for the 3DS after gamers universally praised the Vita’s dual analog sticks. Can you talk about what looks like an attempt by Nintendo to keep up with Sony?

Well it’s not like they looked at PS Vita and said “we need to do that as well.” I don’t know. It’s clear that they didn’t believe a second analog was necessary when they designed the 3DS, so I can only guess it was requested by Capcom’s side. Maybe a Capcom producer told Nintendo that to play Monster Hunter we need [two] analog sticks. That I don’t know, so I can only guesstimate. It was a bit shocking to see what they came up with.

that's actually a better guess than people keep saying Nintendo suddenly decided a second analog is necessary after a long R&D and needs to add it after product is released!

Sintoid

This interview comfirms my impressions about the new cycle of Sony and Vita. Extremely solid handheld, clear tech specs, developer friendly and "almost" consumer friendly :D
Solid day one line up and finally no more "Next gen starts when we say it" bombas
Let's hope that developers and market recieve this message from Sony

Number45

kuroshiki said:
....When you do firmware update it is safe to do NOTHING other than update. That rule goes with any kind of PC too. I don't see why you are complaining about not able to use PSP while it is doing firmware updating.
Precisely. The way it's handled on PS3 for + users is ideal - DOWNLOAD it in the background and let you install it when it suits.

Boney said:
No love for the Go in hardware iterations
I'm sure he meant fat > slim > Go, as opposed to 1000 > 2000 > 3000. :p

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Before the launch, as far as the hardware goes we didn’t put enough resources in the hardware to allow us to develop games that are unique to the PSP compared to home consoles. We had many products on PSP, but most of these games like God of War [Chains of Olympus and Ghost of Sparda] came from the console. Basically, you can play a bigger, better version of these titles on PS3. So pre-launch of PSP we were too happy with having the basic capability of PS2-class games to play on PSP, in terms of the screen and CPU/GPU. But after the launch and a few years time, just having pretty graphics isn’t enough. Especially when you can play a bigger, better game on home consoles.
This pretty much confirms that Vita will have a lot of innovative games that takes advantage of its hardware. That's the way to go, and it is also the reason why DS was a spectacular handheld.

Zutroy

The way he mentions F/W updates, I think they're going to be incremental updates. I'm sure that's not the technical word, but I mean it will only download the new things, making the download smaller, like iOS 5.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Damn, Yoshida-san knows how to give a good interview. I like him even more now. That was a good read. I really love his "lessons learned" bit.

What would you say is the most important thing Sony learned from the original PSP?

There are many lessons we have learned, but if you ask me to pick one lesson… Before the launch, as far as the hardware goes we didn’t put enough resources in the hardware to allow us to develop games that are unique to the PSP compared to home consoles. We had many products on PSP, but most of these games like God of War [Chains of Olympus and Ghost of Sparda] came from the console. Basically, you can play a bigger, better version of these titles on PS3. So pre-launch of PSP we were too happy with having the basic capability of PS2-class games to play on PSP, in terms of the screen and CPU/GPU. But after the launch and a few years time, just having pretty graphics isn’t enough. Especially when you can play a bigger, better game on home consoles. That’s the one big lesson when we designed the PS Vita. Because it is portable and because it’s a new technological development, we can put a touchscreen, touchpad, cameras, GPS, or 3G capabilities. We made sure that developers will be able to make use of these features that are unique to portable systems, so that with games we can continue to produce something very exciting that you cannot find on games on home console. So that’s one lesson.

The second lesson comes post-launch of the PSP. Because we shifted development resources to the PS3 launch, we kind of stopped supporting PSP games post-launch. That was a big mistake, because we didn’t realize that third-party developers were doing the same because they were working on the new launch of software on the PS3, Nintendo Wii, and Xbox 360 as well. So going into the PS Vita, because it’s our second time, we are making sure that we won’t make the same mistakes, meaning that we’ll continue to support PS Vita with a stream of good titles through release. So I pick these two as the lessons learned from PSP. I would also say that security and piracy was a problem with the PSP as well, and that will be fortified with PS Vita.
It likely means that Vita will have more games and probably apps that take advantage of the hardware, while trying (hopefully) to offer something unique to the experience rather than just another console experience. Good.

Top Bottom