• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony’s 2021 TV lineup runs Google TV and fully embraces HDMI 2.1

Kuranghi

Having these options would at least lower lag on x1 extreme tvs for not needing to output at 1080p to get 444 with hdr, and eliminate double scaling. Can't comment on 8bit plus dithering as I haven’t seen it to compare, but options are good.

Seems like UK is getting the bulk of ips panels compared to US, not a good thing.

24 zones on 55 x90j bro. Twenty. Four. I could have understood 60, and z9f zone count for x95j. But damn are they not trying or what. I guess it’s easier to make a gimmicky image processor than to improve the panel.

Hoping for an x90k mini led 4k set with no x wide angle film, with hgig and over 1000 nits ; would be the ultimate small lcd for gaming.

They should also make an 8k mini led with backlight master drive. But who are we kidding, i’ll be surprised if we don’t see 16 zones on the x90k xD

Yeah thats rubbish, I might be thinking of the 65" then. Either way though, I think 48 zones is a good minimum for 55", thats what the XF90 has in 55". Even the 2017 XE90 has more than 24 zones.

The dithering you can see on Win10, when you have HDMI 2.0 and turn on HDR for a 4K@60hz output it will default to RGB with 8-bit + dithering instead of 422 with 10-bit. You can go into NVCPL and force 422 + 10-bit (or even 12-bit), I read around for a day or two and general internet consenus was that its hard to tell the difference between 8-bit + dithering and true 10-bit even on a true 10-bit panel, banding can even be better with 8+dithering for "reasons".

Not sure how that affects the colour reproduction for human eyes (vs. figures on paper), like if you don't see the fully potential glory of the added BT.2020 colour gamut with dithering, but banding is definitely not an issue from what I've read.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

While I'm a big Sony head I'm not sure any company will ever be able to beat LG OLED's.

Do you mean with regards to gaming?

Sony is generally viewed by professional reviewers as having the best motion, upscaling and gradient handling among the big brands so they have LG beat in that regard. They certainly have lagged behind in gaming features though, the HDMI 2.1 support is rubbish.

Sony is generally viewed by professional reviewers as having the best motion, upscaling and gradient handling among the big brands so they have LG beat in that regard. They certainly have lagged behind in gaming features though, the HDMI 2.1 support is rubbish.
No I mean as in TV's. While yes I would agree their LED TV's are the best. I don't think I'll ever go back.

I have to say, Lg 2021 oled has definitely beat Sony in motion. Less artifacts than sony, and great bfi.

Gradients are still crap compared to Sony though. Upscaling, I actually prefer LG now compared to 2021 sony, but flip that around for prior year. LG may not be perfect in upscaling but they’re not mucking about with the image too much.

If my c1 didn’t have nasty uniformity I would have kept it, I was generally really impressed and the hgig hdr blew sony oled hdr out of the water, I was shocked honestly.

Last edited:
But yeah in terms of gradation it was a huge step back on lg c1 compared to Sony tvs. Much, much more noise which would have been hard to get used to, but it’s a trade off I suppose.

I’m not sure what would be more likely - for LG to get gradation right or for Sony to stop being lazy and fixing what isn’t broken.
Well they’re all using LG panel’s, image processing and UX is the only thing setting them all apart.
Which can make a huge difference. But Sony may use samsung qd oled in 2023+.

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
But yeah in terms of gradation it was a huge step back on lg c1 compared to Sony tvs. Much, much more noise which would have been hard to get used to, but it’s a trade off I suppose.

I’m not sure what would be more likely - for LG to get gradation right or for Sony to stop being lazy and fixing what isn’t broken.

Which can make a huge difference. But Sony may use samsung qd oled in 2023+.
QD and OLED? My eyeballs are drooling at the possibility alone! I have a KS8000 in the bedroom and LG OLED in the living room, properly calibrated I (SOMETIMES) prefer the KS8000 cause of the image processing vs my C9.

QD and OLED? My eyeballs are drooling at the possibility alone! I have a KS8000 in the bedroom and LG OLED in the living room, properly calibrated I (SOMETIMES) prefer the KS8000 cause of the image processing vs my C9.
Yeah, Samsung display is producing qd oled panels for Samsung tvs in 2022, and of course Sony or anyone else can buy them if they want. But it will take other companies longer to get so just Samsung for next year.

It’s basically 4 layers of blue oled pixels which passes through a quantum dot color conversion layer ; way different and more advanced than current QD displays.

Lower peak brightness than lg oled (not a problem for sdr) but the perceived brightness in hdr is supposed to be higher due to the color volume.

No more white pixel like on lg oled, so no more white flashing in compressed dark scenes which lcd has an advantage in that way over current oled.

More than anything I just hope the screen uniformity is way better than lg because they are really shitting the bed atm.

Kuranghi

No I mean as in TV's. While yes I would agree their LED TV's are the best. I don't think I'll ever go back.

I meant gaming on an LG OLED.

Back to LED from OLED? Sony make OLEDs as well though, and you said their LED TVs are the best, but the processing is very similar in the OLED as in their LED TVs.

mitchman

Gold Member

Yeah, only LG and Samsung do their own HDMI 2.1 chipsets, the rest is forced to source it from mediatek and others, which typically doesn't offer 4 ports with full HDMI 2.1. Quite astonishing that my aging LG OLED B9 (must be almost 3 years old by now) has 4 HDMI 2.1 48Gbps ports supporting all features, but new TVs in 2021 from competitors still have issues.

Kuranghi

Yeah, only LG and Samsung do their own HDMI 2.1 chipsets, the rest is forced to source it from mediatek and others, which typically doesn't offer 4 ports with full HDMI 2.1. Quite astonishing that my aging LG OLED B9 (must be almost 3 years old by now) has 4 HDMI 2.1 48Gbps ports supporting all features, but new TVs in 2021 from competitors still have issues.

Yeah indeed, I use my TV for many other things than gaming though and I also don't mind sacrificing 4K@120hz support (I don't play MP games so would rarely use it outside of maybe 3 games tbh), full RGB range HDR and VRR to keep the image quality overall higher when watching media and playing games. I tend to care about about the image quality than framerates above 60.

Games with constant slight drops below 60 are super annoying though, I do wish I had VRR for that. Like RE8 RT mode.

In fairness though VRR does still have issues on LG (and Samsung afaik) sets so while Sony has the issue of not having it at all, LG has a partially broken implementation that takes away one of the main benefits of OLED, perfect black levels and swaps it for its worse quality - near black handling. 4K120 seems to work very well though, no complaints there.

If you are buying the TV purely to play games on then I agree LG OLED seems to be the best choice right now. Especially if you are doing MP on console and PC gaming with a really high end rig.

mitchman

Gold Member
LG has a partially broken implementation that takes away one of the main benefits of OLED, perfect black levels and swaps it for its worse quality - near black handling. 4K120 seems to work very well though, no complaints there.
I can honestly say I've never seen this (it might be there but so slight I can't see it) on either of my OLEDs, the B9 and CX.

Kuranghi

I can honestly say I've never seen this (it might be there but so slight I can't see it) on either of my OLEDs, the B9 and CX.

Me neither, in person at least. I've never owned an LG OLED just seen them at my job, where its not a good place to evaluate this problem, I learned about it from reviewers.

If you don't notice a problem then definitely don't go looking for it or for the videos talking about it. Keep enjoying your awesome TV as you were I say.

Its more for nerds like me who pay for professional calibration and this issue undoes some of that work and makes it hard/impossible to calibrate it properly, not an issue for 90% of users though I'd say. I just still talk about it because I think its better to talk about the up and downsides of a brand/product, otherwise people come back to me and say "why didnt you tell me about this".

No point for me of VRR if you can't use bfi and if it messes with black level. Even more of a shame on C1 since the bfi was even better than the motion on Sony. I guess if the fps is crazy unstable like 80-120 or 40 to 60 it might make sense but to sacrifice bfi for a few dips here or there is counter productive.

thebigmanjosh

Gold Member
Just upgraded a few weeks ago from a 2018 TCL 6-series to the A90J. I found an open box deal at Best Buy (literally the box had been opened, TV never take out or used) for $1900 and pulled the trigger over the A80J and G1/C1 due to my 70:30 movies:games usage and only having a PS5 and Switch hooked up atm.

Since I don’t have any other OLEDs to compare to I can’t say either way how it stacks up, but here are my impressions:

• This is hands down the best picture I’ve ever seen in any format. OLED vs full array LED benefits aside, I feel like the A90J has significantly brighter highlights even though the TCL was rated about 200-300 nits higher for 25% and smaller windows.
  • One of the things I hated about the TCL is it had no options to enable/disable/adjust tone mapping, so you were left relying on their HDR/DV presets to do the job for you. I’m surprised Sony hasn’t adopted HGIG as a preset but their options get the job done. On PS5, I either keep tone mapping off or on gradient preferred depending how the HDR is graded.
  • Im finally conceding that HDR (outside of DV) is a mess. I feel like I still need to adjust settings depending on how the content is mastered and have two custom pro presets depending if I’m watching 1000 or 4000-nit content.
  • Google TV is a big upgrade from Roku but it still lags on startup sometimes on an Ethernet gigabit connection through USB dongle. I’m tempted to get an Apple TV 4K and put the TV into basic mode but I do really like the integration.
  • I’ve played a few game’s at 120fps and haven’t felt like I needed VRR, but I also don’t know any better so YMMV.
  • Wishing it had more than two full bandwidth HDMI in since only HDMI 3 (PS5) and HDMI 4 (earc) are 48Gbps and “Dolby Vision Enhanced”. I may upgrade my soundbar to the new Sony one coming out next month to take advantage of the TV as center channel and gain two 48Gbps HDMI ports, but we’ll see.
  • Anyone looking for settings suggestions should check this AVS Forums thread out. I wouldn’t normally recommend WB and color calibration tv to tv, but the Master series are more consistently calibrated and it improved accuracy significantly on my set (and saved me some time doing it myself).

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Just upgraded a few weeks ago from a 2018 TCL 6-series to the A90J. I found an open box deal at Best Buy (literally the box had been opened, TV never take out or used) for $1900 and pulled the trigger over the A80J and G1/C1 due to my 70:30 movies:games usage and only having a PS5 and Switch hooked up atm.

Since I don’t have any other OLEDs to compare to I can’t say either way how it stacks up, but here are my impressions:

• This is hands down the best picture I’ve ever seen in any format. OLED vs full array LED benefits aside, I feel like the A90J has significantly brighter highlights even though the TCL was rated about 200-300 nits higher for 25% and smaller windows.
  • One of the things I hated about the TCL is it had no options to enable/disable/adjust tone mapping, so you were left relying on their HDR/DV presets to do the job for you. I’m surprised Sony hasn’t adopted HGIG as a preset but their options get the job done. On PS5, I either keep tone mapping off or on gradient preferred depending how the HDR is graded.
  • Im finally conceding that HDR (outside of DV) is a mess. I feel like I still need to adjust settings depending on how the content is mastered and have two custom pro presets depending if I’m watching 1000 or 4000-nit content.
  • Google TV is a big upgrade from Roku but it still lags on startup sometimes on an Ethernet gigabit connection through USB dongle. I’m tempted to get an Apple TV 4K and put the TV into basic mode but I do really like the integration.
  • I’ve played a few game’s at 120fps and haven’t felt like I needed VRR, but I also don’t know any better so YMMV.
  • Wishing it had more than two full bandwidth HDMI in since only HDMI 3 (PS5) and HDMI 4 (earc) are 48Gbps and “Dolby Vision Enhanced”. I may upgrade my soundbar to the new Sony one coming out next month to take advantage of the TV as center channel and gain two 48Gbps HDMI ports, but we’ll see.
  • Anyone looking for settings suggestions should check this AVS Forums thread out. I wouldn’t normally recommend WB and color calibration tv to tv, but the Master series are more consistently calibrated and it improved accuracy significantly on my set (and saved me some time doing it myself).

Even the brightest LCD with thousands of dimming zones can't make really tiny highlights that bright due to fear of blooming/altering the darker content around it. So it will almost always look better on an OLED. Like the highlights in this demo for example:

It looks amazing on my ZD9 but an OLED still looks way better again on top of that. I never really got to see that glorious cowboy sign because they always agreed to buy the TV before we got to that point lol.

What games specifically were you having trouble getting to look right in HDR?

Last edited:

Matt_Fox

Anyone have any guesses on when (affordable) OLED / QLEDs are going to exceed 85"?

I know LG has a nice 88" model for 2021 but it's £30k, and beyond what I'd ever pay for a set.

Do you think we might see more 88" or 90" sets in the not-too-distant-future?

V12dq2r.png

Anyone have any guesses on when (affordable) OLED / QLEDs are going to exceed 85"?

I know LG has a nice 88" model for 2021 but it's £30k, and beyond what I'd ever pay for a set.

V12dq2r.png
I guess a couple or a few years. But oh boy the uniformity is going to be a problem. I’d say the current 83 inch size is as big as a 4k set needs to be but I like smaller sets, so.

Alternatively we might see nothing bigger than 85” on 4k oled and larger sizes will be reserved for 8k. I do wonder how much longer 4k high end models will be pushed in general.

Kuranghi

V12dq2r.png

There are 83" models but its still stupid money compared to the 55, 65 and even 77":

Fuck knows why the top model Sony OLED is £500 cheaper than the LG regular OLED model in that size. Just made up prices.

PerfectDark

Banned
While I'm a big Sony head I'm not sure any company will ever be able to beat LG OLED's.
Sony and Vizio lie, and scam.

Bought the Vizio oled on release VRR and 120hz has never worked. TV has so many software problems that everyday its a pain in the ass. Sony Lies about VRR and 120hz as well. They scam consumers with BS lies as its never coming.

Never pay full price for future promises. If your paying full price for a set of features make sure they work and your getting what you pay for.

I bought a vizio oled, sony, and had to buy a LG C1 just to play games I thought I would be able to on my other 2 TV's.

Sony and Vizio lie, and scam.

Bought the Vizio oled on release VRR and 120hz has never worked. TV has so many software problems that everyday its a pain in the ass. Sony Lies about VRR and 120hz as well. They scam consumers with BS lies as its never coming.

Never pay full price for future promises. If your paying full price for a set of features make sure they work and your getting what you pay for.

I bought a vizio oled, sony, and had to buy a LG C1 just to play games I thought I would be able to on my other 2 TV's.
Jesus I feel bad. Yea Vizio is shit and I've always stayed away from them. We have had a Sony Bravia in my house for about 10 years or so and it's still going strong. But one of the 2015 model Bravia I had just completely dies in like 2 years so I went out and bought an LG OLED E8 and never looked back. That's what I'm still using for my PS5 and I'm sure I'll keep it for a while because I don't really need 120hz at the moment.

dotnotbot

As reported by Vincent and multiple users, newest software update pretty much resolved color banding issues in 120 Hz mode on A80J/A90J. So that's amazing news as we can finally say those TVs have true & full 4k@120 without compromises.
I'm guessing this fix should also arrive to X90J/X95J.
I didn't believe they would fix it.

Last edited:

iamvin22

Industry Verified
As reported by Vincent and multiple users, newest software update pretty much resolved color banding issues in 120 Hz mode on A80J/A90J. So that's amazing news as we can finally say those TVs have true & full 4k@120 without compromises.
What about x900h?

kyliethicc

Heads up - the Sony A80J 55 inch model is on sale right now in the US for just $1400. Saw it on Best Buy's site.

Pretty good deal.

Kuranghi

Can vouch however I still love my X900h's picture quality and low latency. I haven't noticed any blur in the 4k120fps modes but I also don't have a pc attached to it (PS5/Series X).

Yeah, you're probably fine if you aren't connecting a PC as most console games are running internally at way below 4K anyway so any loss of resolution won't be as noticeable unless the signal is actually native 4K@120hz.

DJTaurus

Last year i tried LG Oled CX. It was my first oled experience after using only premium LCDs from Sony and Samsung. Oled was better in movies/tv series but a big letdown in gaming:

1) I had black crush on areas with low light.
2) HDR didn’t have spread
3) Colors didn’t have pop and punch. Everything looked dull.
4)in general the PQ didn’t have the sharpness and clarity of an LCD.

Went back to LCD and voila. Everything came back to life again. To me nothing will beat a premium LCD in gaming…. I don’t care about the so called color accuracy and infinite contrast. Every eye is different… numbers don’t tell me anything. Personal taste is more important. To me in gaming i need that Color richness and hdr boost than only LCD can give me. If Sony A90J was cheaper i would give it a try but only that model which is superior even to LG G1….

Last edited:

dotnotbot

So reading through the comments section in Vincent's latest video it appears that the firm did indeed work with the x900h.

Thanks for your response
To clear up banding on a 4K120 + HDR signal or to remove the "blur" seen on 4K120 signals?

There was an update for X900H that added those 2 PS5 features but it didn't do anything to improve 4k@120 or VRR as far as I know. Heavy color banding wasn't an issue on X900H, only the lower resolution.

Last edited:
This is great!!! So 2022 sony tvs ought to have no issues out of the box (except maybe vrr but IDC lol). Sony added hgig and now fixed this, better late than never.

Kuranghi

Last year i tried LG Oled CX. It was my first oled experience after using only premium LCDs from Sony and Samsung. Oled was better in movies/tv series but a big letdown in gaming:

1) I had black crush on areas with low light.
2) HDR didn’t have spread
3) Colors didn’t have pop and punch. Everything looked dull.
4)in general the PQ didn’t have the sharpness and clarity of an LCD.

Went back to LCD and voila. Everything came back to life again. To me nothing will beat a premium LCD in gaming…. I don’t care about the so called color accuracy and infinite contrast. Every eye is different… numbers don’t tell me anything. Personal taste is more important. To me in gaming i need that Color richness and hdr boost than only LCD can give me. If Sony A90J was cheaper i would give it a try but only that model which is superior even to LG G1….

I don't think the A90J will sway you if a CX didn't, I'm surprised you found the picture to generally have less sharpness/clarity over a premium LCD since OLED should give you higher perceived sharpness due to contrast increase to all the tiny elements that LCD couldn't display properly.

Maybe Sony would be generally a bit sharper than LG, but Samsung I think would look worse overall in terms of sharpness of presentation compared to LG. Did you also increase TV size at the same time? From 55" to 65"? That could account for a loss of sharpness.

dotnotbot

Now i know why my X900H was cheap.
Still love it for its price and hopefully some of its issues can be sorted.

I wouldn't say that fix for 4k@120 blur is off the table as they're clearly working on improving things even while staying silent. This color banding issue on XR models wasn't a common complaint, most consumers didn't even know it's a thing yet they released a fix. I don't know how much they are able to do with Mediatek alone on the X900H though.

Last edited:

dotnotbot

This is great!!! So 2022 sony tvs ought to have no issues out of the box (except maybe vrr but IDC lol). Sony added hgig and now fixed this, better late than never.

Unfortunately "Auto HDR tonemapping" doesn't really work as HGIG so that's still missing. But "broken" 4k@120 was my main gripe and it now looks good. Now if only LG could improve their crappy panels...

Last edited:
Unfortunately "Auto HDR tonemapping" doesn't really work as HGIG so that's still missing. But "broken" 4k@120 was my main gripe and it now looks good. Now if only LG could improve their crappy panels...
Yeah it would be nice if the auto stuff worked but the main thing is we can fix it manually.

And ain't that the truth...

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I wouldn't say that fix for 4k@120 blur is off the table as they're clearly working on improving things even while staying silent.

Isn't that issue literally down to the physical design of the device? I always read it's never getting fully fixed because it's down to the shape of the pixels or something.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
There was an update for X900H that added those 2 PS5 features but it didn't do anything to improve 4k@120 or VRR as far as I know. Heavy color banding wasn't an issue on X900H, only the lower resolution.
So do you think it's safe to update? Is this an update to the 2 weeks ago update?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Here is said video btw

Kuranghi

Anyone in the UK (specifically south east of England, around Norwich)?

There is a used 65" ZD9 on ebay right now sold by the British Heart Foundation, its starting price was fucking £99 and I'd say its worth at least £2000 given the spec, even used. The RRP was £4000 in late-2016. Current bid is £310 at time of writing this. I phoned the shop and asked the guy about damage to screen and he said the scuffs referenced in the ebay listing refer to the frame, stand and remote, the screen is not damaged he said.

This is still the best 4K LCD ever made imo and if you want to be blown away by HDR I'd highly recommend it:

SONY BRAVIA KD-65ZD9 65" Inch 4K UHD Active 3D TV w/ Remote 3D Glasses - CIS L27 | eBay

I've paid £1300 for this ex-display but after owning it for nearly 3 years I'd say its worth more than that, given its better than the 2021 miniLED sets that cost £2000+. Even if you aren't in the area, quotes on Shiply to pickup, package it and deliver it to most UK addresses were around £100.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I mostly want something here to buy this ZD9 so they can understand why I'm so obsessed with it :messenger_tears_of_joy:

4K HDR in GotG looks fucking unbelievable during cutscenes especially, the depth of the image is insane, like feels 3D in a dark room. Okay okay, maybe the devil's lettuce enhanced the 3D effect... but it was still amazing when sober too!!

Caveat is the viewing angle is shit on this TV so don't buy if you'll have loads of people sitting far off-axis, its better for single person use straight on or a home cinema style room.

This TV excels with 24hz and 30hz content due to its long 100% pixel response time so its the best for movies and 30hz console/PC games, but 60hz looks fucking amazing on it too ofc. You won't need motion interpolation to make 24hz movies look smooth but if you DO add that then its probably the best motion system Sony have ever done as well (except for the BFI improvements made in 2018, which is doesn't have, but since its so bright you can boost the backlight and use its older BFI tech with much less brightness loss than you'd usually have because its such a bright set generally).

Its one of the only FALD LCD TVs that can make small highlights as bright as an OLED (dimming zones are only 2.8 sq inches) but its large area brightness where it excels, 25% of the screen could be pure white and it will still put out nearly 1400 nits, and nearly 1000 nits on a 50% window! OLED still wins at micro highlights ofc (like neon lines or tiny lights on a computer panel) but you get that large-area brightness advantage to make up for it.

I mostly want something here to buy this ZD9 so they can understand why I'm so obsessed with it :messenger_tears_of_joy:

4K HDR in GotG looks fucking unbelievable during cutscenes especially, the depth of the image is insane, like feels 3D in a dark room. Okay okay, maybe the devil's lettuce enhanced the 3D effect... but it was still amazing when sober too!!

Caveat is the viewing angle is shit on this TV so don't buy if you'll have loads of people sitting far off-axis, its better for single person use straight on or a home cinema style room.

This TV excels with 24hz and 30hz content due to its long 100% pixel response time so its the best for movies and 30hz console/PC games, but 60hz looks fucking amazing on it too ofc. You won't need motion interpolation to make 24hz movies look smooth but if you DO add that then its probably the best motion system Sony have ever done as well (except for the BFI improvements made in 2018, which is doesn't have, but since its so bright you can boost the backlight and use its older BFI tech with much less brightness loss than you'd usually have because its such a bright set generally).

Its one of the only FALD LCD TVs that can make small highlights as bright as an OLED (dimming zones are only 2.8 sq inches) but its large area brightness where it excels, 25% of the screen could be pure white and it will still put out nearly 1400 nits, and nearly 1000 nits on a 50% window! OLED still wins at micro highlights ofc (like neon lines or tiny lights on a computer panel) but you get that large-area brightness advantage to make up for it.
Honestly bfi hasn't gotten any better since x1/xtreme chips. Z9D/x900f etc. etc. has the best motion processing from Sony to this day.

I would so buy a 75 inch which has over 800 zones and better uniformity and response time than the 65 version but they go for stupid money so i'll keep waiting for mini led lol.

As fas as brightness goes and highlights the z9g should be much better still as it hits 3000 nits and has BMD, but the Blooming is worse as well.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Honestly bfi hasn't gotten any better since x1/xtreme chips. Z9D/x900f etc. etc. has the best motion processing from Sony to this day.

I would so buy a 75 inch which has over 800 zones and better uniformity and response time than the 65 version but they go for stupid money so i'll keep waiting for mini led lol.

As fas as brightness goes and highlights the z9g should be much better still as it hits 3000 nits and has BMD, but the Blooming is worse as well.

I was meaning the "black zonal insertion" (as Vincent Teoh calls it) added on the XF9005/ZF9 in 2018. Thats better than BFI on ZD9 (and XE90/93/94) because you don't lose hardly any brightness to help with bright room usage.

I know someone who got an 85" ZG9 and I'll be seeing it next year hopefully, I will have to check out blooming for myself, can't wait. I have a feeling the brightness is so high the glare might hide the true blooming. That happens on the 65" ZD9 sometimes.

Last edited:
I was meaning the "black zonal insertion" (as Vincent Teoh calls it) added on the XF9005/ZF9 in 2018. Thats better than BFI on ZD9 (and XE90/93/94) because you don't lose hardly any brightness to help with bright room usage.

I know someone who got an 85" ZG9 and I'll be seeing it next year hopefully, I will have to check out blooming for myself, can't wait. I have a feeling the brightness is so high the glare might hide the true blooming. That happens on the 65" ZD9 sometimes.
Hmm it's been so long since I had the 950g and such I forget how the brightness hit differs from x900e and such. But in a dark room it's a non issue for sdr even on x900e.

Lognor

Banned
So is it on par with the LG C1 on the gaming front? I just ordered another C1, but may cancel if the A80J can compete.

Kuranghi

So is it on par with the LG C1 on the gaming front? I just ordered another C1, but may cancel if the A80J can compete.

Will you use a sound system with it or just the TV sound? The sound in the A80J/A90J is quite a bit better than the C1. Look up "Acoustic Surface" if you don't know what it is.

The Sony still can't do 4K120&Dolby Vision at the same time like the C1 can, only 4K60&DV or 4K120, I personally don't think its a reason to lose out on bit better picture with Sony but be aware if you have an XSX.

The image quality, like gradients, colour accuracy, upscaling/image processing and motion on the Sony A80J is better than the C1, the A90J has that and better HDR so will give you the best picture overall, but probably only get the A90J if you its your main set and want the best since the price is a big jump up over A80J. Its worth the money I think definitely though, it looks amazing.

I think VRR is the same on the C1 and A80J/A90J but someone else can tell you that for definite. Input lag is lower on C1 than A80J, ~10ms vs ~17ms but I don't think its even worth thinking about when its under 20ms unless you are only playing multiplayer fps's or fighting games.

TL;DR - Better locational unique sound system, better image quality and motion, even better IQ with A90J again, but slightly higher input lag and no 4K120&DV together. The last thing could be added in firmware update but I wouldn't bet on it.

If you're the kind of person who notices changes in an image like going from 2160p to 1800p then you'll notice the Sony difference. If you look at performance modes next to fidelity mode and almost always choose the performance mode because it doesn't look that different to you (sharpness and resolution wise, not the motion difference) then save money and get another C1 and definitely don't buy the A90J.
If they're the same price or like £100-£200 different then I think the Sony is worth it for the sound system alone but obviously not if you don't plan to use the TV sound.

Last edited:
Top Bottom