• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony’s 2021 TV lineup runs Google TV and fully embraces HDMI 2.1

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Well if you don't mind dropping to 4:2:0 chroma 8 bit, you can do UHD120 with hdmi 2.0, since that would only require ~17.82Gbps.
Ingame you'd prolly only still get 60-80fps with the VII on with current games though, so dunno if that would be worth it.

Never played any games on my PC though, I'm 100% pony. It's for general use and video/photo editing.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Also Sony confirmed VRR/ALLM for X90H if you didn't catch that up.
Just saw your update on that in the other thread. While I’m not sweating it, since A) don’t have a PS5 yet, and B) most games so far have been pretty great on the framerate front, it will be good down the road as devs stress the hardware more.

If it didn’t come at all, I would be disappointed, but still very happy with the set for gaming and what I paid for it brand new at the time. I would probably also just upgrade to a 2021 model as well, lol.

Still impressed on how nice the blacks are on this set for an LED.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
What do you mean? My X90H does HDR on all 4 HDMI. You don’t need 2.1 for HDR.

My 2 are a X800G and a much older one (1st Sony with HDR). The older one only had hdr on inputs 2/3 of 4. Not a huge deal the tech was new. Now they X800G was a much newer tv and had the same issue when every other same class tv I got since the original Sony hdr tv had had it on all inputs.

Over a year after I bought it it did get an update that allowed 30hz hdr on hdmi 1 (some say on 4 as well but didn’t see that in the update on mine).

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
My 2 are a X800G and a much older one (1st Sony with HDR). The older one only had hdr on inputs 2/3 of 4. Not a huge deal the tech was new. Now they X800G was a much newer tv and had the same issue when every other same class tv I got since the original Sony hdr tv had had it on all inputs.

Over a year after I bought it it did get an update that allowed 30hz hdr on hdmi 1 (some say on 4 as well but didn’t see that in the update on mine).
Ah okay, I wonder if that is the same on their newest 8 series. Probably not since HDR is pretty much standard now. I also stopped buying 8 series in their sets and will stick to 9 and above.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Ah okay, I wonder if that is the same on their newest 8 series. Probably not since HDR is pretty much standard now. I also stopped buying 8 series in their sets and will stick to 9 and above.

yeah thought it would have been last year as well.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Just saw your update on that in the other thread. While I’m not sweating it, since A) don’t have a PS5 yet, and B) most games so far have been pretty great on the framerate front, it will be good down the road as devs stress the hardware more.

If it didn’t come at all, I would be disappointed, but still very happy with the set for gaming and what I paid for it brand new at the time. I would probably also just upgrade to a 2021 model as well, lol.

Still impressed on how nice the blacks are on this set for an LED.

Yup, what makes those blacks so crazy is there are only 32 local dimming zones. That's why I'm considering the bigger brother with higher peak brightness and more dimming zones, although 2020 X95H has worse blacks than X90H due to X-Wide angle, but the X95J 65" doesn't have X-Wide angle (only 75-85") so it should have even better blacks!

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yup, what makes those blacks so crazy is the only 32 local dimming zones. That's why I'm considering the bigger brother with higher peak brightness and more dimming zones, although 2020 X95H has worse blacks than X90H due to X-Wide angle, but the X95J 65" doesn't have X-Wide angle (only 75-85") so it should have even better blacks!
I have not caught up to speed yet on the new Sony models only bits and pieces from your posts, so I take it they’re skipping “I” an going straight to “J” for model labeling?

And tell me more about the X95J... I may just upgrade again when they come out.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I'm not so sure if I'd want to upgrade to the x90j anymore.
At first I was under the impression it would have 4 hdmi 2.1 ports, but it just has 2 like my xh90.
The upgraded chip is nice, but not worth upgrading over.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I have not caught up to speed yet on the new Sony models only bits and pieces from your posts, so I take it they’re skipping “I” an going straight to “J” for model labeling?

Yes, let's get to the facts and what you'll get:

- All Bravia XR TV's share the same, top tier XR processor, starting from X90J up to the extremely expensive Z9J = Massive upgrade for lower budget tv's.
- 2021 should have no blur in 120Hz modes.
- All of them have 2 HDMI 2.1 ports and support full features, and 48Gbps bandwidth, with VRR, ALLM labeled again as "coming later in a firmware update". Actually X85J will have HDMI 2.1 as well, probably X90H processor but it's edge lit and no local dimming, and available at small sizes down to 43" so I can see them becoming popular.
- You get 1 year of free streaming subscription in Sony's new Bravia Core service with 5-15 redeemable movies out of 300+ from Sony Pictures collection, with 100+ streamable movies/series up to 80Mbps (as high as UHD Bluray!).
- Sony's OLED TV's gonna get a new cooling system that should help to push higher peak brightness with lower risk of burn in, I'm considering A90J or A80J as well.

Here is the X95J fully detailed:

Here's X90H successor, X90J:

Here's more about Bravia Core, impressive as it seems!

More about Bravia XR chip:

They probably skipped I/i because of confusion of capital I and small l. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I'm not so sure if I'd want to upgrade to the x90j anymore.
At first I was under the impression it would have 4 hdmi 2.1 ports, but it just has 2 like my xh90.
The upgraded chip is nice, but not worth upgrading over.

I don't think you should. Some like DeepEnigma or me would upgrade and move tv's around the house or give it to a family member/friend or even charity.:lollipop_tears_of_joy: But if I got X90H I will only upgrade to 8K 12-bit panel with a new HDMI that can push 8K@120Hz with solid upscaling.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yes, let's get to the facts and what you'll get:

- All Bravia XR TV's share the same, top tier XR processor, starting from X90J up to the extremely expensive Z9J = Massive upgrade for lower budget tv's.
- 2021 should have no blur in 120Hz modes.
- All of them have 2 HDMI 2.1 ports and support full features, with VRR, ALLM labeled again as "coming later in a firmware update". Actually X85J will have HDMI 2.1 as well, probably X90H processor but it's edge lit and no local dimming, and available at small sizes down to 43" so I can see them becoming popular.
- You get 1 year of free streaming subscription in Sony's new Bravia Core service with 5-15 redeemable movies out of 300+ from Sony Pictures collection, with 100+ streamable movies/series up to 80Mbps (as high as UHD Bluray!).
- Sony's OLED TV's gonna get a new cooling system that should help to push higher peak brightness with lower risk of burn in, I'm considering A90J or A80J as well.

Here is the X95J fully detailed:

Here's X90H successor, X90J:

Here's more about Bravia Core, impressive as it seems!

More about Bravia XR chip:

They probably skipped I/i because of confusion of capital I and small l. :messenger_winking_tongue:

high quality days GIF

Now you gone and done it!

Bo_Hazem

Banned
high quality days GIF

Now you gone and done it!

Imagine driving the hype for next gen tv's with that thread then not buying one myself due to Sony releasing a7S III camera that I'm getting next week! Well, I remember you telling me you got yours for a great price, so maybe this time around gamble on the A90J that has the new cooling system as you already have a very solid tv for next gen in case shit hits the fan ;)

Not sure if the A80J will get the cooling system as well.

So VRR low latency confirmed again?

Yup!

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Imagine driving the hype for next gen tv's with that thread then not buying one myself do to Sony releasing a7S III camera that I'm getting next week! Well, I remember you telling me you got yours for a great price, so maybe this time around gamble on the A90J that has the new cooling system as you already have a very solid tv for next gen in case that shit hits the fan ;)

Not sure if the A80J will get the cooling system as well.

Yup!

Yeah, I may just look into a Sony OLED this time around depending on how it performs with the new upgrades. LG is very nice, but I can’t shake that Sony color accuracy, IQ performance, and motion handling.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yeah, I may just look into a Sony OLED this time around depending on how it performs with the new upgrades. LG is very nice, but I can’t shake that Sony color accuracy, IQ performance, and motion handling.

I can't accept something below Sony after having a headache with my previous two LG's that no matter how you tweak them the colors and image remains off. We don't have calibrators here as most people don't take that seriously, or would've got one myself for all my tv's, so Sony being pretty accurate out of the box helps out a lot.

Also motion and processing is simply critical in OLED to minimize stuttering. But this time wait until late 2021 or even early 2022 when you see all the reviews and get the extreme best deal possible as you're not in a rush for a new tv. I'm very, very excited to check out those IMAX movies, never watched a movie in a 16:9 aspect ration before! Also helps a lot with FLAD in very dark room movie watching.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I can't accept something below Sony after having a headache with my previous two LG's that no matter how you tweak them the colors and image remains off. We don't have calibrators here as most people don't take that seriously, or would've got one myself for all my tv's, so Sony being pretty accurate out of the box helps out a lot.

Also motion and processing is simply critical in OLED to minimize stuttering. But this time wait until late 2021 or even early 2022 when you see all the reviews and get the extreme best deal possible as you're not in a rush for a new tv. I'm very, very excited to check out those IMAX movies, never watched a movie in a 16:9 aspect ration before! Also helps a lot with FLAD in very dark room movie watching.
Those IMAX 16:9 will be on their new streaming service?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Those IMAX 16:9 will be on their new streaming service?

Yup, watch this, it's less than 2 minutes:

And you get 1 year free subscription and 5-15 redeemable movies out of their 300+ collection and unlimited access to 100+ streamable movies/series/shows with each Bravia XR tv. But in that IMAX example they're cropping in, hope it's more than that and it's just a dumb way of showing it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yup, watch this, it's less than 2 minutes:

And you get 1 year free subscription and 5-15 redeemable movies out of their 300+ collection and unlimited access to 100+ streamable movies/series/shows with each Bravia XR tv. But in that IMAX example they're cropping in, hope it's more than that and it's just a dumb way of showing it.

Ok, that bitrate is pretty damned dope, and full screen like some shows is a nice feature as well.

Looks like other services will have to step up if this takes off. Wonder if this was part of the Azure deal they were working on with MS for the back end infrastructure or they expanded on their current one?

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Those IMAX enhanced releases just seems like another way to get you to buy the same movie again.
I have plenty of movies that have scenes that were shot with either IMAX 70mm or IMAX digital, and they just change aspect when those scenes play.
But for some reason (money) some studios started releasing their movies cropped, like the blu-ray or streamed version of the last two avengers movies; they were shot in IMAX, but these fuckers decided to just crop them to 2.35:1.

Likewise that scene, and all others like it, from Spider-Man: FFH were just cropped on the disc/streaming releases. I remember that exact scene in theaters, cause I saw the movie in IMAX 3 times.
It just seems shitty that they'd gimp the home releases, only to promise the way it's supposed to look if you pay again.

kyliethicc

X95J
- 65" / 75" / 85" sizes only
- 4K 120 Hz HDR FALD LED LCD
- new premium design
- new XR chip & new Google TV OS
- new audio upscaling to 5.1.2 via internal speakers
- should have no blur issue with 4K 120 Hz
- 2 ports w/ HDMI 2.1 @ full 48 Gb/s (1 is also eARC)
- full fat Dolby Vision support, HDR10, HLG
- VRR & ALLM via update
- (hopefully) same full support for Dolby & DTS audio
- (most likely) better image quality than X90J

Not gonna be cheap, but a solid upgrade from the 2020 X90H / X95H models.

X90J
- 50" / 55" / 65" / 75" sizes
- updated design
- VRR & ALLM via update

A more mainstream and affordable option. Both will be great TVs for PS5 owners.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Ok, that bitrate is pretty damned dope, and full screen like some shows is a nice feature as well.

Looks like other services will have to step up if this takes off. Wonder if this was part of the Azure deal they were working on with MS for the back end infrastructure or they expanded on their current one?

It could be. This service is less dangerous for Sony, as most of these movies have been shown in the Cinema. Also adding a buy/rent service above it makes it a better service to me because I tried to buy/rent Spiderman into the verse? and it doesn't have Arabic subtitles to watch it with my wife. Also they are using their own Sony Pictures division, that's why it's exclusive to Bravia XR instead of being available on other TV's to push more Sony Bravia's especially with the 1 year free + redeemable movies.

If Apple was making mainstream TV's you won't see it available on other TV's. Got a 1 year free with the iPad Pro but didn't use it so far.

Those IMAX enhanced releases just seems like another way to get you to buy the same movie again.
I have plenty of movies that have scenes that were shot with either IMAX 70mm or IMAX digital, and they just change aspect when those scenes play.
But for some reason (money) some studios started releasing their movies cropped, like the blu-ray or streamed version of the last two avengers movies; they were shot in IMAX, but these fuckers decided to just crop them to 2.35:1.

Likewise that scene, and all others like it, from Spider-Man: FFH were just cropped on the disc/streaming releases. I remember that exact scene in theaters, cause I saw the movie in IMAX 3 times.
It just seems shitty that they'd gimp the home releases, only to promise the way it's supposed to look if you pay again.

Yeah I hope it's not a cheap crop but a true full screen IMAX that adds instead of chopping off the overall view. I'm not a movie buyer but love watching movies in the Cinema/Netflix. If this service turns out to be great I might continue with it after that 1 year.

It's been confirmed officially by Sony UK and other branches that VRR and ALLM is coming to Sony X90H (XH9000/X900H), but for more details: (timestamped)

Seems like Sony USA support team did fucked it up.

X95J
- 65" / 75" / 85" sizes only
- new premium design
- VRR & ALLM via update
- (most likely) better image quality than X90J

Not gonna be cheap, but a solid upgrade from the 2020 X90H / X95H models.

X90J
- 50" / 55" / 65" / 75" sizes
- updated design
- VRR & ALLM via update

A more mainstream and affordable option. Both will be great TVs for PS5 owners.

Yeah I can see both the 50" X90J and 43" X85J being pretty popular, while the 48" LG CX is more of high end, all-in-one gaming TV.

I know some around here even said they would rather get 2020 Sony OLED instead for IQ, motion, and processing even if that means they sacrifice 4K@120Hz and VRR. I'm narrowing my options between X95J FLAD, A90J and A80J OLED's all in 65" size or higher depending on my budget and the offer.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Looking back, my Panny plasma was phenomenal. Only 1080p, but I don't think my 900E looks any better unless it's a dedicated 4k media format.
I’d bet some money it doesn’t. I A/Bed a Panny GT30 plasma and LG’s C9 OLED. It’s impressive how well the plasma holds up to what’s supposedly the top in visual quality a decade later.

Why would Sony still only put 2 HDMI 2.1 ports in their 2021 TVs?? Don’t make no sense.

On a side note, I’m really not a fan of Sony’s TV tiers. There’s no need for a 90 and 95 series, and there’s hardly a justification for 2 OLED tiers. The lower tier has cheaper stuff like an inferior processor, an inferior sound system, worse viewing angles (on LED models) and a plastic, non-backlit remote, while still being more expensive than similarly-specced models from other TV makers. I find it quite stupid to make expensive TVs and still treat those who buy the “inferior” models like they spent 1000 bucks less instead of just a few hundreds.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I’d bet some money it doesn’t. I A/Bed a Panny GT30 plasma and LG’s C9 OLED. It’s impressive how well the plasma holds up to what’s supposedly the top in visual quality a decade later.

Why would Sony still only put 2 HDMI 2.1 ports in their 2021 TVs?? Don’t make no sense.

On a side note, I’m really not a fan of Sony’s TV tiers. There’s no need for a 90 and 95 series, and there’s hardly a justification for 2 OLED tiers. The lower tier has cheaper stuff like an inferior processor, an inferior sound system, worse viewing angles (on LED models) and a plastic, non-backlit remote, while still being more expensive than similarly-specced models from other TV makers. I find it quite stupid to make expensive TVs and still treat those who buy the “inferior” models like they spent 1000 bucks less instead of just a few hundreds.

Good news is that from the insultingly expensive Z9J to the cheapest model X90J they all use one processor, XR. That's a huge jump from previous tiers. I think Samsung has 1x HDMI 2.1 in some/all models as well? At least in 2020 models (I think Q80T).

Bo_Hazem

Banned
He's only interested in getting a Sony. Right now it's looking like a 55" XR 90J. Once it's not ridiculously pricey.

Pretty solid choice, just let him know that there is also 50" X90J in case he wanna get it even cheaper or prefer slightly smaller tv.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Good news is that from the insultingly expensive Z9J to the cheapest model X90J they all use one processor, XR. That's a huge jump from previous tiers. I think Samsung has 1x HDMI 2.1 in some/all models as well? At least in 2020 models (I think Q80T).
If I’m getting things straight, the differences in video and audio processing between the higher (A90J, X95J) and the lower (A80J, X90J) tiers this year should lie in a different contrast and audio performance (that don’t sound so significant on paper) and in a cheaper remote. The difference in price between tiers won’t be so little though, if Sony’s history has something to teach. Also, I understand that not even LG’s C series comes with a metal, backlit remote, but Sony not giving one with their “lesser” OLED models is quite ridiculous when you’re spending all that cash on their premium TVs.

This feature creep thing is very tiring to me. Nobody needs this many models on the market when these things get refreshed literally every year.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
If I’m getting things straight, the differences in video and audio processing between the higher (A90J, X95J) and the lower (A80J, X90J) tiers this year should lie in a different contrast and audio performance (that don’t sound so significant on paper) and in a cheaper remote. The difference in price between tiers won’t be so little though, if Sony’s history has something to teach. Also, I understand that not even LG’s C series comes with a metal, backlit remote, but Sony not giving one with their “lesser” OLED models is quite ridiculous when you’re spending all that cash on their premium TVs.

This feature creep thing is very tiring to me. Nobody needs this many models on the market when these things get refreshed literally every year.

Although the metal, backlit remote sounds nice, I really don't give 2 fucks about it. The difference between X95J and X90J is x-wide on 75-85" models of X95J while 65" doesn't have it, also the number of local dimming zones. The model without the x-wide angle should have better blacks but worse wide angle view, so for gamers it's better to go without X-Wide Angle.

For A90J and A80J I think A90J will get the new cooling solution + higher brightness. Didn't go in depth with each but if you go to Sony Europe channel you find deeper breakdowns for each model.

Overall, mid-budget tv like X90J is a much better deal this time around in theory, but let's wait for the pricing.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Which would be better for gaming?

All are good for gaming, even 85" has the same input lag. You just pick the size that suits you and your budget. I would want 85" myself if it's not clashing with other budgets planned for cameras/lenses. But of course X95J is better and should have more dimming zones, the 65" would have no X-Wide Angle layer so it should slightly bad angle viewing for living room in favor of much better blacks = best for gaming. 75-85" X95J have X-Wide Angle which is great for the living room.

If he's in a tight budget, X85J would have HDMI 2.1 as well, but edge lit = no local dimming. Overall, he should check them out in person before buying.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

He's only interested in getting a Sony. Right now it's looking like a 55" XR 90J. Once it's not ridiculously pricey.
Best wait til next fall for sales. I'm in the same boat. I want that 55" X90J for my PS5.

Which would be better for gaming?
The 50" and 55" models should be the same, just different sizes and prices. Gotta wait for reviews to know for sure.

Last edited:

Kerotan

All are good for gaming, even 85" has the same input lag. You just pick the size that suits you and your budget. I would want 85" myself if it's not clashing with other budgets planned for cameras/lenses. But of course X95J is better and should have more dimming zones, the 65" would have no X-Wide Angle layer so it should slightly bad angle viewing for living room in favor of much better blacks = best for gaming. 75-85" X95J have X-Wide Angle which is great for the living room.

If he's in a tight budget, X85J would have HDMI 2.1 as well, but edge lit = no local dimming. Overall, he should check them out in person before buying.

Best wait til next fall for sales. I'm in the same boat. I want that 55" X90J for my PS5.

The 50" and 55" models should be the same, just different sizes and prices. Gotta wait for reviews to know for sure.
I'm surprised the x95J doesn't come in a smaller size then 65". He'll definitely go with a 50" or 55" so that means he'll have to choose the X90J. He doesn't want an OLED either.

He's been waiting literally 3 years to buy this and held out for the ps5 to get one. He almost bought the X900H last year on sale.

So the question is will he buy it at launch around April / May or will he wait 6 months to save a few hundred quid. I know he's a lot of money to spend and has a big budget but he's a sucker for sales and is always buying them on sale on psn.

But like I said he's been waiting years and now he's got a ps5 it's killing him not having a TV so I'll be interested to see what he does. If it was me personally I'd wait until black Friday but I'm not getting a TV got another 2 to 3 years so that's for another day.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I'm surprised the x95J doesn't come in a smaller size then 65". He'll definitely go with a 50" or 55" so that means he'll have to choose the X90J. He doesn't want an OLED either.

He's been waiting literally 3 years to buy this and held out for the ps5 to get one. He almost bought the X900H last year on sale.

So the question is will he buy it at launch around April / May or will he wait 6 months to save a few hundred quid. I know he's a lot of money to spend and has a big budget but he's a sucker for sales and is always buying them on sale on psn.

But like I said he's been waiting years and now he's got a ps5 it's killing him not having a TV so I'll be interested to see what he does. If it was me personally I'd wait until black Friday but I'm not getting a TV got another 2 to 3 years so that's for another day.

Waiting a bit longer would get him the better deal, could buy some games with those extra saved cash. X90J should be great but always wait and see the reviews, and HDTVtest is pioneering now.

dolabla

Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem

After reading up more on the 2021 tv options, I’m thinking of going with the 65” A90J. My biggest risk in content is binge sessions playing overnight. I don’t get to play every day with kids. I’m considering the idea of the Best Buy 5 year warranty with the burn in protection. It’s like $400+ on the 65 CX.

I think I’ll wait for Black Friday prices though. I’m planning on using credit card rewards toward BB gift cards. I have about $600 already.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem

After reading up more on the 2021 tv options, I’m thinking of going with the 65” A90J. My biggest risk in content is binge sessions playing overnight. I don’t get to play every day with kids. I’m considering the idea of the Best Buy 5 year warranty with the burn in protection. It’s like $400+ on the 65 CX.

I think I’ll wait for Black Friday prices though. I’m planning on using credit card rewards toward BB gift cards. I have about $600 already.
Just remind yourself if you’re getting tired and fall asleep during binge sessions, to set a timer for the TV to turn off or just turn off the picture and let the sound run.

You can pop them up from the action menu now very easily in the middle of watching something.

Just remind yourself if you’re getting tired and fall asleep during binge sessions, to set a timer for the TV to turn off or just turn off the picture and let the sound run.

You can pop them up from the action menu now very easily in the middle of watching something.

Yeah, good idea. I currently have my PS5 and/or TV set to turn off at like 3AM or after 3 hours on no action outside of if I’m playing a movie.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem

I'm considering 65", so A90J is pretty scary with that price as I will be planning to buy new camera lenses so might settle down to A80J, X95J, X90J. I'll see how they'll be priced by the end of this year.

If stutter is still as bad as C9 and CX, I think I'll skip OLED.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Looks like the X90J and X95J will be around $200 more expensive than last year's LCDs for same sizes. Lets hope they improved the IQ.

Top Bottom