• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony’s PlayStation VR Patents Reveal VR Sickness Reduction, And Full Body Tracking

MizzyLone

TWO NEW PATENTS FOR SONY’S PLAYSTATION VR HAVE BEEN REVEALED, GIVING PLAYERS A LOOK AT SOME OF THE INSIDE WORKINGS OF THE UPCOMING NEXT-GEN GAME CONSOLE.

next-gen-playstation-vr-patents.jpg

“Provided are a tracker calibration device, tracker calibration method, and program that make it possible to precisely calibrate a plurality of types of trackers without measuring the relative positions of the trackers beforehand. A tracker data acquisition unit (50) acquires a plurality of items of first tracker data indicating the position of a first tracker expressed using a first coordinate system. The tracker data acquisition unit (50) acquires a plurality of items of second tracker data indicating the position and orientation of a second tracker expressed using a second coordinate system. On the basis of the plurality of items of first tracker data and the plurality of items of second tracker data, a parameter estimation unit (58) estimates parameter values for converting the positions expressed using the second coordinate system into expressions in the first coordinate system and estimates the relative position of the second tracker in relation to the position of the first tracker.”

Source: https://www.thegamepost.com/2020/05/08/next-gen-playstation-vr-patents/

Taking steps to eliminate VR motion sickness is great. I read a lot of reviews of Half-Life: Alyx stating it become a problem for them in sustained play sessions

Shmunter

Kinekt for PlayStation. Looks like MS was right all along. Oh well, too late now.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

not gonna buy any vr headset unless its wireless

Me neither, but in the patent pic above it has no wires from the headset to the "box", just the same symbol as is next to the controller, which I presume means wireless transmission.

Alot of reviews mention this? I rarely read that. It was one of the highest reviewed games of all time on steam.

never said it wasn’t reviewed well.

just google “Half-Life: Alyx motion sickness.”

It’s not exclusive to Alyx, it’s a thing with VR, but it was a main complaint for an otherwise stellar gaming experience.

Glad that Sony is taking steps to improve VR gaming

Last edited:

Keihart

i've played a lot of VR games and even fast ones, regarding to movement, you either have motion sickness or you don't, if you have it you can train it to some degree. If you don't have it, you can go nuts with movement and most games feel too slow since motion sickness isn't a thing usually for me.

What does trigger motion sickness always and to everyone it's slow and stuttery framerate, that makes you want to throw up pretty gast and it is the reason why everyone after PSVR adopted the time interpolation thingy where if the frames get too low you get the fake frames and if the dip it's too big you get a static screen but attempting to keep the tracking working. It's not perfect and whenever tracking seems wonky or stuttery in a game, the motion sickness starts to creep in and more often than not it's because of framerate.

Performance it's so important in VR, i don't even mind 30fps as a default for most non VR games , but in VR you better keep that 60+ target all the time with no dips.

Top Bottom