• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: “Ultra-High-Speed” SSD Will Make Loading Screens “A Thing of the Past”

Mista

Banned
psn.jpg

A Sony spokesperson gave a brief but bold statement to the Official PlayStation Magazine (Issue 162) recently about the inclusion of an SSD in the PS5, and what it means for the console:
“An ultra-high-speed SSD is the key to our next generation. Our vision is to make loading screens a thing of the past, enabling creators to build new and unique gameplay experiences.”

Jaxx_377

Neo Member
No loading time sounds good but it also seems like they are pumping this aspect a little hard. I hope it isn't to deflect from the fact that their console isn't shaping up to what they had hoped it would be.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Nonsense, there's still plenty of loading in modern AAA games on PC with high end hardware incl NVMe SSDs.

Wrong dude. While it’s definitely in the I’ll believe it when I see it category, comparing it to PC makes little sense when you consider that coders can code to the metal and have complete control over how it loads while on PC games are having to compete with much much more overhead.

[Asmodean]

“An ultra-high-speed SSD is the key to our next generation. Our vision is to make loading screens a thing of the past, enabling creators to build new and unique gameplay experiences.”

As usual.. people are reading way too much into a statement.

I'l give you another one;

"I work 40h+ hours per week. My vision is to make needing to work a thing of the past, enabling me to build new and better life experiences."

They are two completely separate statements lol.

Saying that... SSD is a massive upgrade for consoles.. not only in the hardware itself, but SSD is finally the baseline.. after a bloody decade of them being available.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
There’s no doubt SDD is a great addition to both consoles. But this makes me laugh like classic old Sony did.

SSD won’t eliminate loading lol, yeah it’s faster, but it won’t eliminate loading. I dunno who is spreading this stuff but that’s not the point.

Also, let’s remember that next gen games will be 150gb+ with ease, and towards the end of the generation I don’t even know what sizes will be hit. A 2tb isn’t feasible cost wise, and even if it was, a 2tb drive is already far too small for next gen games. It’s too small for THIS gens games to be fair.

People need to ground their expectations for BOTH machines. They will use SSD, but not in the traditional sense. And if for some crazy reason they do just use a single SSD, then get used to having one or two games installed at once and not much more.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
What are the odds that the games could come on a 128GB or 256GB SSD "cartridge"?

Nintendo switch games are essentially that, only no game has used their 64gb cart yet.... and the prices are through the roof.

And even then... you still have loading. It’s like people don’t understand how memory access works lol.

Dontero

Banned
typical arrogant pcler answer.
all today games are developed for slow HDDs.
you simply don't know what is possible when they develop only for ssd.

Changing from HDD to SSD doesn't chaning anything other than read/write speed mate.
To remove loading times you have to have cart and even then you will still get occasional loading times because not always loading times are connected to actual loading files from somewhere but simulation etc.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Its more about the interface than the speed of the nvram chips, attaching the SSD to the main APU bus will be a drastic improvement over NVme. The main issue I suspect will be heat dissipation as these things get quite hot under sustained load.

Virex

Banned
Its more about the interface than the speed of the nvram chips, attaching the SSD to the main APU bus will be a drastic improvement over NVme. The main issue I suspect will be heat dissipation as these things get quite hot under sustained load.
Don't worry. Sony has the fan to cool it off all ready sorted and ready to go and ready to be heard by your whole neighbourhood.

nani17

are in a big trouble
Nonsense, there's still plenty of loading in modern AAA games on PC with high end hardware incl NVMe SSDs.

Not true at all. I own 4 SSD's and load times in games are reduced and it's very noticeable.

Example

GTA V Story mode Load times

M.2 = 25:50 seconds
SSD = 29: 38 seconds
HDD = 49:19 seconds

Also in the video, it shows online but online does have other contributing factors compared to single player.

M.2 = 1:55:46 minutes
SSD = 2:02:27 minutes
HDD = 02:34:20 minutes

He also lists his specs and the m.2 and SSD are mid-range at best. Which we could see in the Next gen systems

More examples

Last edited:

[Asmodean]

Not true at all. I own 4 SSD's and load times in games are reduced and it's very noticeable.

Example

Also in the video, it shows online but online does have other contributing factors compared to single player.

He also lists his specs and the m.2 and SSD are mid-range at best. Which we could see in the Next gen systems

More examples

Also, not to mention API differences. PS4's sata setup was pretty bad, and it was equipped with a low-end 5400rpm laptop hdd.

Toe-Knee

Wonder if this is related to the patent where the game starts loading as soon as its highlighted rather than when it's selected

Will make a huge difference among with the ssd

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Example

Reducing indeed, not removing. Even if PS 5 could reduce loading times by over 50% compared to PS4 Pro with an SSD, that still means there will be plenty of loading times.
I don't know how you read "loading times are a thing of the past" but I read it as "no more loading times". I know SSDs reduce loading times, that why I use them in my PC and PS4 Pro.

Reducing loading times is one thing, eliminating them is another. I'm very skeptical about the claim that there will be no more loading times(loading taking over 2 sec) on PS5.

Last edited:

Shy Fingers

Banned
I don't need them gone, just a ton better than Kingdom Hearts 3 has. I don't even know how that was allowed to be sent out like that.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
As usual.. people are reading way too much into a statement.

I'l give you another one;

They are two completely separate statements lol.

Saying that... SSD is a massive upgrade for consoles.. not only in the hardware itself, but SSD is finally the baseline.. after a bloody decade of them being available.
Listen to this man

Our vision is to make loading screens a thing of the past, enabling creators to build new and unique gameplay experiences.”

nani17

are in a big trouble
Reducing indeed, not removing. Even if PS 5 could reduce loading times by over 50% compared to PS4 Pro with an SSD, that still means there will be plenty of loading times.
I don't know how you read "loading times are a thing of the past" but I read it as "no more loading times". I know SSDs reduce loading times, that why I use them in my PC and PS4 Pro.

Reducing loading times is one thing, eliminating them is another. I'm very skeptical about the claim that there will be no more loading times(loading taking over 2 sec) on PS5.

It's a click bait title come one 😂. It does reduce significantly and will be a welcoming addition to next gen. No one truly believes it will disappear forever.

But it will when online streaming picks up

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Probably pcie5. Pcie5 devices are coming out this year already, pcie4 adoption will drop very fast.

cireza

Banned
"No loading screen" is already a thing of the past since there were no loading screens on cartridge based games. But Sony probably doesn't know this because they weren't making consoles back then :messenger_fire:

If we are finally acknowledging what was better in the past, then I hope that the next thing to be acknowledged is the fact that CRT had no motion blur.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
He said their vision (or goal) is to make loading screens a thing of the past, he didn’t guarantee that you’ll never see another loading screen in your life.

It’s a good thing that Sony is focusing on this and trying to minimize loading. Who knows how much of my lifetime I’ve spent staring at loading screens.

That's nice, but super fast 1TB-2TB SSDs cost 2x as much as the current PS4 Pro. This is delusional and Playstation fans should not be encouraging this.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
1. do we really need the huge image? jeez
2. what a load of bullshit. there will still be loading screens...unless sony have magically came up with some kind of new technology. there will still be loading screens. they might not appear as long but they will still be there.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
I'm not debating whether or not there still will be loading screens but I don't understand why ppl are quick to not give Sony the benefit of the doubt. I mean this isn't the other companies tht blow hot air until their face is red and then usually under deliver. Sony usually is on point or up front about whatever tech they are touting. Ps move 1:1 when other motion controls were laggy as fuck and not 1:1 movement, Sony realized PSVR when ppl doubted Vr on console (it may be far from perfect but it's a good VR solution tht works), creators of Share Play that works on consoles pretty good (my son was just playing mk11 with his friend who doesn't have the game, shit is cool asf), remote play and other things. If we get more info specifically stating no load screens I'll be more inclined to believe it than not. They have some great engineers and console ppl at Sony tht don't just talk but follow through and create.

The Snake

Then how will the game explain with text the poorly written story that they didn't get around to in the big budget cutscenes?

Example

More examples

Goddamn what's that M2, a new BMW series..that thing smoking anything you put on it 😯

What are the odds that the games could come on a 128GB or 256GB SSD "cartridge"?

If you wanna pay 100$ per game then sure. SSD is the best thing to happen to Computers. A run of the mill SSD would be awesome sauce. If the have a custom SSD developed by Sony, Toshiba, and IBM. That would be SECRET SAUCE material.

"Loading screens a thing of the past" doesn’t mean no loading LMAO. POPTARTS. They already gave an example of spider man loading being under a second.

Last edited:
The situation with SSD's right now is very strange.

The difference in loading times between HDD and SSD is HUGE. But the difference between a regular sata based SSD and an NVMe SSD is practically nothing. Usually about 1 second difference. But the difference in actual speed between an SSD and NVMe is about 5x faster for NVMe. It should be loading games much faster, but it's not.

I have heard people say that the reason is because games aren't designed to take advantage of that speed. But I'm not happy with that answer. Feels like part of the answer is missing but I don't know what.

Games didn't have to be "designed for SSD's" when they first came out to get a benefit. The benefit was immediate and obvious. But for some reason the jump to NVMe is practically nothing in game loading times.

I really wish I knew why.

Shifty

I'll believe it when I see it.

Until then this is the console version of Apple pretending they invented a thing and are introducing it to their wide-eyed audience for the first time.

bigedole

I think a lot of people are purposefully misinterpreting what this person is saying. They're not saying that their goal is to eliminate all load times. That is quite obviously impossible. They're saying the goal is to eliminate load screens, which is a very different statement. There are ways to make the game interactive while things load in the background. Those who played God of War 4 know what I'm referring to. When you'd take the gateway to another area, the game would put you in this new area where you'd listen to Mimir tell you a story, but what the game was actually doing was loading the next area in the background.

With an SSD, you can speed up load times to a point where maybe they're not the bottleneck on performance and maybe give developers the option of making them interactive in a similar way.

Top Bottom