• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony 2009 CES Keynote Thread

DMeisterJ said:
I am so in shock, I'm in shick!

Sony is really laughing all the way to the bank concerning HOME. That's crazy.

There is some guy on the official PS boards, that bought everything in home in the mall, and spent over 70 bucks.
Home is such a peice of shit though. . . It like pedo nation inside that hell hole.

Crisco

Banned
I'm not sure why you people are so surprised. Have you seen the sort of shit that sells on the app store? The top selling app right now is one that plays fart noises on command.

Glad HOME is being successful for Sony. Good numbers for LBP and 17 million PSN accounts not bad.

Crisco said:
I'm not sure why you people are so surprised. Have you seen the sort of shit that sells on the app store? The top selling app right now is one that plays fart noises on command.

I saw that just the other day I cant believe people buy that thing.

$1 million made from Home in... how many weeks?

*checks Wikipedia*

Oh, it launched on December 22nd, that's two and a half weeks :lol

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Burai said:
Die in a fire!
500.000 of him, and you have 1 million bucks.
I tell you is genius, you make t-shirts (Which is like one or two textures) and sell them for like 0.99 or 1.99 and your done.
Genius i say.

DrXym

Guy Legend said:
Umm......what are they talking about....

Not sure how they could chop much more than the PS3. If they have sense, they are going to produce a slim PS3. It is long overdue.

They might even consider stuffing an ATSC tuner into the device so the thing is a PVR as well as a console. I'm actually surprised they haven't done this already, especially in Japan where if a version of the PS3 had a tuner and a BD writer, it should sell by the metric shitload.

FrankT

CiSTM said:
Are there separatnumbers for PS3 and PSP ?

Looks like we will not be getting them before there earnings report, which is boo. Likely PS3 close to 20 million with the PSP making up the rest. Although I'm surprised he didn't give the hard numbers

Also they could very well be talking a slim line PS3. I had read a really off the wall rumor about one hitting late Spring with a reduced price of $299. Likely garbage, but who knows. What is all in a slim line is another question altogether.

Edit: It looks like he was using shipment figures for last quarter. They provided some hint on sales last year, and I'm a little surprised they did not this year.

andycapps

_leech_ said:
$1 million made from Home in... how many weeks?

*checks Wikipedia*

Oh, it launched on December 22nd, that's two and a half weeks :lol

Holy crap... can you imagine what will happen when better content gets on there and more and more people get on it? I could see this being something that the hardcore hate, but the masses lap up and give their monies to Sony and publishers left and right.

DrXym

LiK said:
i have the complete opposite feeling since HOME is so shitty. :)

Home is shitty. It needs content and lots of it. Lots of content especially geared towards gamers.

Balb

DrXym said:
Home is shitty. It needs content and lots of it. Lots of content especially geared towards gamers.

I think that ship has sailed. They made their first impression when they decided to launch Home in the state that it was. I can't see it winning people over after that.

andycapps

H_Prestige said:
PS3 is about 20 million

Ah ok, well good numbers for that considering the price. PSP is still a beast though. I'm sure they're loving the hardware sales. Software sales, not so much...

im astonished to see how much money home has made in about a month. if they actually put some effort into it, it might actually turn out to be a good money maker.

however, the only this that i would ever buy in home is arcade cabinets like ones you get in the namco museum beta. If they sold stuff like that for $2 or $3 they would make a killing.

i also hope EA's home space does good because it will give other publishers incentives to make home spaces.

Rolf NB

i_am_ben said:
was the LBP 1.3 million shipped or sold to customers?
Most likely sold into retailers, so if you want to be anal and pessimistic, subtract 20% of rotten stock. Still a million.

Ploid 3.0

LiK said:
i have the complete opposite feeling since HOME is so shitty. :)

Since it's making them money maybe they'll pour more into it to make it a better experience and get more people in it. That said, I'm also glad it's making them money, because I won't be paying to play games online.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
badcrumble said:
Sorry! I am part of the problem.
I was joking.
Im surprised tough, i tought that HOME was gonna fail hard, and nope,being a BETA(Almost Alpha) service is already cashing money.
So yeah i dont know anything about digital business ;_;.

After having tried Home, my theory is that a lot of that "1 million dollars" came from people who assumed that they wouldn't be charged real money in a public beta.

Or at least that's the only way I can explain it.

bcn-ron said:
Most likely sold into retailers, so if you want to be anal and pessimistic, subtract 20% of rotten stock. Still a million.

IGN live blog read

9:44: Kaz talks PSN. 17 million registered accounts all over the world. 2.1 million new accounts in the last month. Talks about LittleBigPlanet as great
example of Sony's PSN flexibility in motion. Says 1.3 million people playing LBP. 300,000 levels online Brief demo.

Jim

EA Sports Complex:

EA SPORTS to Debut on PlayStation®Network with EA SPORTS Complex

Electronic Arts Inc today announced its initial plans for the PlayStation Home Beta for the PLAYSTATION 3 computer entertainment system, the 3D social gaming community that allows users to interact, communicate and share gaming experiences online. EA's support of the PlayStation Home Beta will begin with the EA SPORTS Complex, which is currently in development and is slated to launch this Spring.

"We're proud to support the PlayStation Home Beta with a very robust offering from EA SPORTS," said Peter Moore, president of EA SPORTS. "As part of our continued commitment to the connected experience and the digitization of our business, the EA SPORTS Complex is a rich new online environment that presents a compelling and immersive social gaming experience for the global sports audience."

EA worked closely together with Sony Computer Entertainment to ensure that the EA SPORTS Complex space within PlayStation Home would be a compelling experience for all EA SPORTS fans, with a space designed for both casual and hardcore gamers. Gamers will be able to play exclusive new EA SPORTS multiplayer games, meet and interact with EA SPORTS fans, view daily, weekly and annual leaderboards to see how they compare against the rest of EA SPORTS Nation, as well as watch trailers and other content from some of their favorite EA SPORTS games.

EA is currently working with Sony Computer Entertainment on further label support of PlayStation Home Beta, and will announce plans in the near future.

EA SPORTS is the leading interactive sports software brand in the world, with top-selling titles and franchises including Madden NFL football, FIFA Soccer, NHL hockey, NBA LIVE basketball, NCAA Football, Tiger Woods PGA TOUR and NASCAR racing.

1.jpg

My friend bought a PS3 and we went to buy LBP. It took 8 stores to find one copy. I was talking to the clerks and they all said the same thing...when the game came out they had dozens of copies, but since the holidays, they cant keep them in stock. I guess word of mouth finally spread.

Also, I wanna' know what this means:

SCEA is now shifting its way it thinks about its hardware design to better serve customers.

PS3 Slim? A new controller? Absolutely nothing and I'm just far too optimistic?

RBH

MThanded said:
I thought it would be tv programming. Which is already free on mtv.com. Guess not.
It's already been available on XBLM for awhile now (and not free).

Rolf NB

Btw, seeing that FIFA space pic, the last time I checked, there were zero game spaces available in Home, and those were the only areas I had any interest in to begin with. Is this a Europe thing? Is this a Germany thing (ratings)? Or are game spaces still just an ongoing theory world-wide?

LiK

WiiRevolution1 said:
Me. I spent around $20 in it.

Will probally spend the $4 I have left in my wallet on today's items when I get on.

are they charging for that RE: Degeneration t-shirt? i'm sure that'll sell.

Weren't they they company that had that really nice looking Home concept space with basketball, boxing ect. sections all set up?

Zoe

Don't clubrooms cost money as well? We know that there are a few GAF ones out there.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Crisco said:

Crikey, I need to make some catchy novelty iphone app..

Also, no word on when that EA space hits? If it's anything more than a week or two away then it's a bit silly to be announcing it now.

Top Bottom