• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony 2009 CES Keynote Thread

dfyb said:
i've said it before and i'll say it again. i bought the poker game on PSN and i think that entitles me to a poker table i can put in my Home apartment. because yo dawg, i heard i like games so i want a game in my game so i can play games while i play games.

The EA complex will have texas hold em tables

I seriously can't believe HOME has sold $1 million worth of content. WTF are people buying? That just reaffirms my belief that HOME is not for me (at least not right now).

The coolest thing I thought about HOME was the ability to see my friends' trophies and my own at our apartments as well as to be able to go over to my friends apartment and watch videos and listen to music, etc....and this isn't in there.

dfyb

Banned
Byakuya769 said:
The EA complex will have texas hold em tables
yeah i know, and that's cool. i want a texas holdem table in my apartment. right now there's zero reason to spend time in user apartments

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
MikeE21286 said:
I seriously can't believe HOME has sold $1 million worth of content. WTF are people buying? That just reaffirms my belief that HOME is not for me (at least not right now).

The coolest thing I thought about HOME was the ability to see my friends' trophies and my own at our apartments as well as to be able to go over to my friends apartment and watch videos and listen to music, etc....and this isn't in there.

Well, look on the bright side... at least it's making Sony money...

dfyb said:
yeah i know, and that's cool. i want a texas holdem table in my apartment. right now there's zero reason to spend time in user apartments

You're damn right about that! It's all about "look how I arranged the default furniture differently than you!"... and that's about it.

Haunted

AmericanNinja said:
An update is coming to Life With PlayStation this spring.
yay

AmericanNinja said:
17 million PSN accounts.

2.1 million added last month.
Four of those by me! :D

Shit home news, though. I'd hoped it had crashed and burned and Sony would have to drop it or something. *sigh*

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Haunted said:
Shit home news, though. I'd hoped it had crashed and burned and Sony would have to drop it or something. *sigh*

That's why I'm glad Home is a choice. I'm glad they don't force it on you.

Kagari said:

oh yeah, definitely....hey, as long as everyone else is buying the stuff out there right now that gives a better chance of my wanted features being added

Haunted

Kagari said:
That's why I'm glad Home is a choice. I'm glad they don't force it on you.
True.

All that money wasted on home though.... ah well, if it actually ends up making them money and they invest it in good stuff (like games), I won't complain.

Haunted said:
True.

All that money wasted on home though.... ah well, if it actually ends up making them money and they invest it in good stuff (like games), I won't complain.

2rwkf7t.jpg

Doubledex

Banned
Haunted said:
True.

Yeah, because you don't like it, they should simply cancel it, right? RITE?

lulz....!

Elios83

You can watch the keynote here if you're interested:

http://www.videogaming247.com/2009/01/09/sony-ces-09-keynote-video/#more-16443

Since many in the thread were wondering about the meaning of this sentence:

"SCEA is now shifting its way it thinks about its hardware design to better serve customers"

Kaz explains it pretty well in the video, basically he's talking about a Nintendo-like approach.
Software comes first and it defines what the hardware should be to meet the creative goals and not viceversa ( which was Kutaragi's way basically).

Elios83 said:

"SCEA is now shifting its way it thinks about its hardware design to better serve customers"

Kaz explains it pretty well in the video, basically he's talking about a Nintendo-like approach.
Software comes first and it defines what the hardware should be to meet the creative goals and not viceversa ( which was Kutaragi's way basically).

I was kind of hoping that meant that PS2 BC will return since consumers want it.

I have a launch 60Gb so I'm fine but I know a lot of people who would like it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Elios83 said:

Holy fack at the Tom Hanks intro :lol :lol

edit - those glasses at the beginning are totally not what I thought they were reading the feeds..I thought they were the 3D glasses. Those are actually really very interesting..and match up very neatly with an idea I had for a next-generation games console that used glasses with augmented reality overlayed on top of what you're actually seeing.

Elios83 said:

Still, people who expect (or hope) the PS4 will be nothing but a PS3 + extra RAM are nuts.

Dirtbag

Kagari said:

If it only cost them 1 million dollars to develop it, then yeah it would be making them money.... of course, we all know it costs much more then that to develop/run.

Home will need sustained sales over time to likely recoup development/server costs. I'm sure there are some advertising deals in place to help pay for it as well.

This next part I'm probably totally wrong about, but wouldn't generating a million dollars in sales be equivalent to selling about 25k-50k copies of a 1st party game?
Like if Sony received about 45 dollars for every copy sold after distribution and retail took their cuts (since home requires neither), wouldn't that just be equivalent of selling like 22k copies of a game?

$45 X 22,222 = $1,000,0000

I guess I'm just having a hard time grasping how anyone on here thinks Home is in any way a money maker. I thought the idea all along was Home be used to distinguish itself from the competition (live, wii channel, etc..) and thus it's worth ultimately incalcuable , but given the general press/attitude about Home thus far, a failure.

_leech_ said:
Still, people who expect (or hope) the PS4 will be nothing but a PS3 + extra RAM are nuts.
Yeah, it's going to be more than that, but I don't at all expect it to be a total Kutaragi-style redesign that throws the baby out with the bathwater and is tough to design for but turns out to be able to pull off some REALLY cool stuff due to its unique hardware a few years down the road.

patsu

Home is a platform. It will need to make money to sustain itself and distinguish Sony from competition.

The interesting thing is they can make money as they develop Home. They can also experiment with new business models on it.

Too early to tell whether Home will be profitable for Sony, but from early indication, it shows good potential if Sony plays its cards right.

wazoo

badcrumble said:
Yeah, it's going to be more than that, but I don't at all expect it to be a total Kutaragi-style redesign that throws the baby out with the bathwater and is tough to design for but turns out to be able to pull off some REALLY cool stuff due to its unique hardware a few years down the road.

a Kutaragi driven design would be a multi CELL CPU, which would ironically give lots of benefits to ps3 focused devs from the start.

FrankT

Orin GA said:
61 million eh.... I dont believe any one of these numbers

They just used the shipped figures from the previous quarter which were like 16.8 million for the PS3 and the rest PSP (~44 million). They didn't really provide anything new however.

Elios83

Orin GA said:
61 million eh.... I dont believe any one of these numbers

1)They're official shipments numbers as stated in their financial reports, they can't lie on those.
2)Those numbers are actually outdated ( end of September), now the total should be over 70m units (50+m PSPs and 20+m PS3s) but that will be announced on January 29.

Doubledex said:

Good fix, and I love how people continue to float around that the Home development team and costs were just sooooo huge, when they don't know a damn thing about the cost. Making a million dollars in less than a month with microtransactions is incredible, and will likely only grow. Complain, bitch, and moan all you want Home is here to stay.

Doubledex

Banned
Byakuya769 said:
Good fix, and I love how people continue to float around that the Home development team and costs were just sooooo huge, when they don't know a damn thing about the cost. Making a million dollars in less than a month with microtransactions is incredible, and will likely only grow. Complain, bitch, and moan all you want Home is here to stay.
;)

Mau ®

I was very tempted to buy a summer house in HOME. Even though I wasnt into HOME at all, consumerism at its best!

It just seems like wasted potential right now. Im sure it will eventually deliver, but none of the cool ideas that were first being thrown around are there yet.

Top Bottom