• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony "abandons" The Last Guardian trademark [Up: Sony: Game is still in development]

welp...

Going into this gen (2006) I had three main things I was really looking forward to:

-Next gen Silent Hill from Team Silent.
-Next gen Final Fantasy 'trilogy' (i.e. FFI-III on NES, IV-VI on SNES, VII-IX on PS1, etc.)
-Ueda's next game.

After E3 2006, I looked forward to GT5, KZ2, Heavy Rain, FFvsXII and 3 years later at E3 2009 I got hyped again for TLG, Agent and FF14. None of them released. :/

ivW9fJ769HNeL.gif

ironcreed

Banned
I stopped caring awhile back. But who knows? Maybe it's just a name change. Meanwhile, too many other games that will actually release to look forward to. If and when they get their shit together on this, I'll look forward to it again.

rataplein

Unbelievable amount of misinformation and FUD in this thread.

Sony filed an "Intent to Use" application as a placeholder years ago. Basically, you can file this on the principal register so that no one else can use the mark, but it is conditioned on the actual intent to use the mark. You can just squat on it. They got many extensions, and it seems that they just didn't file this latest one in a timely manner.

http://tdr.uspto.gov/search.action?sn=77750563#

If you look at the extension approval from January 13th, you'll see that they got a 6 month extension, but would have to refile then. It doesn't look like they did. SO, either they just screwed up and forgot, or they are actually abandoning the mark. I would think that it's the first. Having to remember to file these things could slip by someone in their legal department. Keep an eye out; I'm sure they will make a filing soon to remedy this. If not, THEN this thing has been truly abandoned.

Edit: Also, terrible reporting from IGN. It took me 2 minutes to find the history of filings. Granted, I've taken a trademark class, but still, they should have reached out to someone at the very least. Pitiful.

dude, what the hell are you doing??.

you have to post "breaking bad" or at least some "funny" gif. or maybe, "doomed, hhahaha lol"

inky

So there are 3 possibilities of what could have happened:

1. Vaporware

2. Namechange

3. Sony forgot to renew the trademark

Am I right?

4. Next Gen

5. Cancelled

6. Given to Nintendo in exchange for Mario

I think that's it.

I'll say it once, I'll say it again: I'd rather the game be cancelled at this point, because the insane amount of hype people here have made for it means that it will NEVER live up to those expectations, and basically be looked at as a disappointment when it's released.

Lol I'm intensely enjoying the ones trying to reassure themselves everything is ok. This game has been in the shitter for the past 3 years and keeps getting worse.

It's dead.

Afrikan

SunhiLegend, I'm in tears here at work man... everyone around me probably think I'm nuts right now with me trying to hold in these laughs.

Top Bottom