• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony accidentally disclosed the number of players for [possibly] every PS4 game

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
That's worth noting. My son and I play Red Dead 2, each on his own PSN account. Trophy percentages will likely reflect both of us as distinct players.

I suspect this kind of thing wouldn't greatly inflate the numbers but it'd have some non-zero effect.

But it also doesn't count people that play games on their PS4s without a network connection, so there's some evening out here.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Not all of these would be sales though, correct? At least not 1:1 since used copies on individual logins will account in those numbers.

BibiMaghoo

Not all of these would be sales though, correct? At least not 1:1 since used copies on individual logins will account in those numbers.

The sales number will be much less than these numbers. Used games, borrowed games or trials of games that activate the trophy list on an account all come off that number, as do multiple accounts sharing a digital copy of the game.

SaucyJack

That's worth noting. My son and I play Red Dead 2, each on his own PSN account. Trophy percentages will likely reflect both of us as distinct players.

I suspect this kind of thing wouldn't greatly inflate the numbers but it'd have some non-zero effect.

It’s not purporting to be sales numbers, but an estimate of the number of people to play each game. Sales numbers will be lower.

If 2 accounts on one console played it then it will count 2 players, which in your case would be correct as you both played it.

Well, is surely interesting and indicative of the active player base, but trophies did not translate 1:1 in copies sold, I think. For example lended, rented and used copies, but also multiple ownership, backlog catalogue, collecting.
I have a lot of games still sealed.

PSYGN

It also depends on how easy/common it is to earn a trophy, right? Black Ops 4 sitting as low as it's sitting tells me that there are too many variables at play here for us to be taking these figures even remotely seriously.

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I'm not on Reddit. Can someone ask him about PES 2019?
You can just make a throwaway Reddit account, you don't even need an email. Just a pick a username and post.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
- Heavy Rain sold 3.6 million units. Beyond: Two Souls sold over 4.3 million units?!?! That's crazy. I'm happy for David Cage's team. And Detroit Become Human has sold 2.4 million units in 6 months.
- GTA5 sold 52 million units on the PS4 only? Or is it PS3 and PS4 combined?
- No Man's Sky is at 3.9 million units sold. So closing in on that 4 million mark.
- Resident Evil 7 sold 6 million units!!! That's awesome
- Sad to see The Last Guardian only sell 1.9 million units. :(
im suprise that gravity rush 2 sell 800.000 units. Well number considered a cult game with lack of marketing.

Last edited:
None of this information gives any kind of incite into what these games have sold. All this shows is how many accounts have interacted with a title, you can make accounts in seconds, multiple people in households have separate accounts and equal access to the same game, a used game will be played across multiple systems and subsequently multiple accounts on each.

It's incite to a game doing poorly e.g. Fallout 76 but beyond that it's worthless.

ruvikx

Banned
If this is accurate, there are some massive flops in there. Mass Effect Andromeda for example at 2,210 000 is a bit of a disaster. There are also some which should have done better, i.e. Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition deserves more than a million. I can't quite see 'how' so many people who enjoy GTA V so much haven't even tried Sleeping Dogs.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided has sold over 4 million on PS4 ? Isn't that good? I thought they said that the game didn't sell so well and put the franchise on hold.

Vetro

Somehow i can't believe those figures. Witcher 3 not even 2.000.000 but TOLU: Remastered 15 Millions? Come on.

Kagey K

Banned
Is there a game with less then 10 players? I’ve always wanted to see that game.

Show me the one that couldn’t get past fingers, for the amount of players.

That’s a game I want to play.

FranXico

Is there a game with less then 10 players? I’ve always wanted to see that game.

Show me the one that couldn’t get past fingers, for the amount of players.

That’s a game I want to play.
Try Windjammers, it's been deserted for as long as I know.

Kagey K

Banned
Try Windjammers, it's been deserted for as long as I know.
It’s ended up in the thousands of people though. I remember they did a press thing saying it was going better then expected.

I want the really true, nobody played it but it was released game.

petran79

Banned
this is highly inaccurate because many players don't play for trophies, and that program shows Rarest trophy, there are many games which has very hard trophies and those are just for trophy hunters. average gamer maybe reach 50% of trophies, sometimes less, so it is not mean that he does not played the game if some other gamer reach 60% and got trophy and that program show how many got that trophy.

Also it is not even guaranteed trophy would activate in every case.

Three

I guess the biggest shame here is knowing Deux Ex: Mankind Divided reached nearly 5m players in PS4 alone and they still shoved the sequel aside for Shadow of the Tomb Raider.
Deux Ex was a PS+ free game

- Heavy Rain sold 3.6 million units. Beyond: Two Souls sold over 4.3 million units?!?! That's crazy. I'm happy for David Cage's team. And Detroit Become Human has sold 2.4 million units in 6 months.
- GTA5 sold 52 million units on the PS4 only? Or is it PS3 and PS4 combined?
- No Man's Sky is at 3.9 million units sold. So closing in on that 4 million mark.
- Resident Evil 7 sold 6 million units!!! That's awesome
- Sad to see The Last Guardian only sell 1.9 million units. :(
Same is true for Heavy rain and BTS

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Actually like pointed in the Detroid thread the numbers for it are really close.

Detroit Month 1 > 1m
Detroit Month 5 > 2m

That means it sold around 250k per month and Month 5 ended in Oct 25, 2018.

So it you add 300k for one more month and some days plus the holiday boost you will have the actual 2.4m the site shows.

Pretty close.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Somehow i can't believe those figures. Witcher 3 not even 2.000.000 but TOLU: Remastered 15 Millions? Come on.

That was only for the Collectors Edition. That wasn't including the regular version of the game sells.

Takuan

Woof. 400K suckered into buying FO76. I know that's probably a failure by Bethesda's standards, but still...

Shin

Banned
But it also doesn't count people that play games on their PS4s without a network connection, so there's some evening out here.
Plus an trophy needs to be achieved for it to be counted, there are a handful of people that buy games and never get to them.
All in all re-reading the whole thing this doesn't paint the whole picture as I was hoping for, nevertheless it's still gives some nice insight.

ethomaz

Banned
Okay. But i still struggle to believe TOLU:R sold 15 mil.
Me too because it topped 17 million 5 months ago.

Edit - You are talking about only R... peharps 9 million?

BTW I believe Sony combined both version in the stats... so when you math you get the the two version estimates not only the R.

Last edited:

Vetro

Me too because it topped 17 million 5 months ago.

Edit - You are talking about only R... peharps 9 million?

So 17.000.000 people really did buy a remaster game? Jesus - Or is it PS3 and PS4 Sales combined?

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
So 17.000.000 people really did buy a remaster game? Jesus - Or is it PS3 and PS4 Sales combined?
Combined.

The Sony data for the trophy is combined... that one showed on the video.

The dude doing the math is the one using only the % from PS4 version that makes it close but not accurate.

15m is a bit off but close enough to 17+ million if you take in consideration the math only used the PS4 %.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Combined.

The Sony data for the trophy is combined... that one showed on the video.

The dude doing the math is the one using only the % from PS4 version that makes it close but not accurate.

15m is a bit off but close enough to 17+ million if you take in consideration the math only used the PS4 %.

That makes sense.

Some of these numbers look like massive overestimates. COD WW2 selling 24 million on PS4 alone seems ridiculous. If you assume it only sold 50% of that on Xone and then add in a few million PC sales, that's nearly 40 million altogether. That would make it the best selling COD game in history, which we know is not true.

I think these numbers do not take into account that there are most likely a large number of these "players" that are simply households that are sharing a game across multiple accounts, or used game sales. This will most likely affect online-only games more because people create a lot of smurf accounts too in those games (see Overwatch) - this is particularly the case on PS4 because there are no charges associated with creating a new account on PS4.

Surprised at the witcher 3 figures (one of the best games), not surprised at all at TLOU figures. I bought this game on PS3 and twice on PS4. Every one that I know to have a PS4 have this game in their library.

Top Bottom