• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony adds YouTube support to PS3 SDK

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
gofreak said:
This was mentioned in the Mainichi Issyo thread, but I think it deserves its own cos it's kind of interesting and confusing at the same time :p

http://www.developmag.com/news/29815/Sony-adds-YouTube-upload-support-to-SDK

My first thought is...wouldn't they support Crackle, given that it's Sony's youtube?

Crackle is owned by Sony ? Sigh... I thought it was a bit of a pain in the ass to use... oh well I guess I kinda know why now...

Still, they managed to turn SonicStage into a worthy application so there is hope.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
gofreak said:
This was mentioned in the Mainichi Issyo thread, but I think it deserves its own cos it's kind of interesting and confusing at the same time :p

http://www.developmag.com/news/29815/Sony-adds-YouTube-upload-support-to-SDK

My first thought is...wouldn't they support Crackle, given that it's Sony's youtube?

Second is..does the SDK support recording of gameplay and uploading of that to youtube? Or just uploading existing videos from the HDD?

Third is..if it does support gameplay recording, I hope as many developers as possible support it in their games.

DeanA

Quote:
Originally Posted by one View Post
AV Watch says it added Youtube upload function for game developers to use in their games.
Mainichi Issho supports it with FW 2.35
AVWatch is incorrect. I believe that functionality was included in 2.20.

Dean

? :(... boh...

Maybe it was not a fully polished and complete feature-wise capability in FW 2.20 and in the newest SDK it is properly exposed to developers ?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Zoe linked to examples she uploaded in the MI thread. Quality looks okay, not the worst I've seen on Youtube. Not bad if that's the baseline quality supported by the API.

kay

kaching said:
Zoe linked to examples he uploaded in the MI thread. Quality looks okay, not the worst I've seen on Youtube. Not bad if that's the baseline quality supported by the API.
The videos are 320x240, black bars if widescreen. Could do higher resolutions I bet, especially for this game.

Jim

oneHeero said:
I didnt see anything besides the person playing going through menus :(

That was uploaded via the PS3 from the game by TTP...

Playstation youtube ©2006 Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Category: Entertainment
Tags: PS3 まいにちいっしょ トロ
Uploaded Using PLAYSTATION 3

MadFuzzy

Panajev2001a said:
? :(... boh...

Maybe it was not a fully polished and complete feature-wise capability in FW 2.20 and in the newest SDK it is properly exposed to developers ?

I think it's more to do with it being a comparitively new feature for devs and most haven't worked it into their code and actually released titles that use it yet.

Look at how long it took custom soundtracks to appear in games after it appeared as a feature in the SDK (it took several months).

Raist

Banned
Question : was there an update for this Mainichi whategver game ?

If not, I guess it had those options from the start, and the firmware just unlocked them. Interesting.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
DarkJC said:
I hope features like this become a standard for games in the future. Not sure if it'll happen soon, but I think it's really needed. The upload to youtube isn't even a requirement really, just some way to save cool moments in games. I can't count the number of times something awesome has happened in GTA4 (well, many games, but thats the one I'm playing now) and I wished I had an "instant replay" like feature to playback/save/record the moment.
R* has been taking down GTA4 videos from YouTube, claiming copyright infringement. So this feature will be interesting.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Raist said:
Question : was there an update for this Mainichi whategver game ?

If not, I guess it had those options from the start, and the firmware just unlocked them. Interesting.

I believe there's a monthly update for Mainichi Issyo. The May update added the youtube/camcorder function. You can record videos and then either save them to the HDD or upload them to youtube (you can't do both and there's no bg uploading). The hdd video files are saved as MPEG-4, 320x240, 768Kbps, 30fps video with MPEG2-AAC, 48KHz, 64Kbps audio. A one minute video file takes ~2MB and looks/sounds rather poor. You can add info to your YouTube videos, but you can not edit the Tags or the Title using Mainichi Issyo. Videos uploaded to YouTube via Mainichi Issyo (and I'm guessing any other game that uses this API) show the PS3 logo (with a link to playstation.com) in the YouTube page.

357n5zl.jpg

Raist

Banned
Killthee said:
I believe there's a monthly update for Mainichi Issyo. The May update added the youtube/camcorder function. You can record videos and then either save them to the HDD or upload them to youtube (you can't do both and there's no bg uploading). The hdd video files are saved as MPEG-4, 320x240, 768Kbps, 30fps video with MPEG2-AAC, 48KHz, 64Kbps audio. A one minute video file takes ~2MB.

I see, thanks. Looks like they're really using this for experimentation. Had a look at TTP's video. Looks quite clean. The question is, will it work this well with a more complex game ?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Jim said:
That was uploaded via the PS3 from the game by TTP...

Yep. I didnt even realize it was recording. Basically you just press SELECT to start recoding a video anytime whatever activity you are doing. You press SELECT again to pause recording.

Select is also used to grab a pic (which goes into the XMB folder) if u set it so.

Zoe

Sorry, didn't see this thread until now >_<

kaching said:
Zoe linked to examples she uploaded in the MI thread. Quality looks okay, not the worst I've seen on Youtube. Not bad if that's the baseline quality supported by the API.

Fixed.

Before you upload videos, make sure your account has been validated for uploading. I lost some good vids due to that because it doesn't give you the option to save to the HDD if you select Youtube.

What I posted to the other thread:

To get to the camera, go to &#12418;&#12385;&#12418;&#12398; and select the last item then the first option. Press select to start recording. To end the session, repeat what you did before to get to the camera.

You'll get an option to either save it to the XMB or upload it. You can't do both >_<

After it's done uploading, it will give you the address.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTHFtejQW2U
Uploaded manually. I blame performance anxiety :lol;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_blrKzM6mI
Uploaded through the game. I blame the crappy word selections. I was going for &#12365;&#12427;, dammit! >_>

The game will concat all footage taken during a single session, so if you're trying to do a retake, you have to start over from scratch.

Tideas

Banned
TTP said:
You mean like... being able to upload a GT5P replay on YouTube right from the game? That would be awesome. Maybe YouTube account will be created and linked to the PSN one and content will happily end up into the Home web page?

But yeah, what about Crackle?

Sony probably realize now that being all propriety isn't good. so since they know EVERYONe uses youtube, they'll go with the path of least resistance

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Raist said:
I see, thanks. Looks like they're really using this for experimentation. Had a look at TTP's video. Looks quite clean. The question is, will it work this well with a more complex game ?

I think, as previously suggested, this uses the Remote Play functionality to grab the vids. Basically rather than sending the low res vid to the PSP it just stores it on the system. I suppose games like Lair can support this :D

Zoe

One drawback is it seems to slow down the game a little bit (there's some lag in some parts of my first vid). This is really only a problem during the Right Brain Training games though.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Gonna try to make a long video now to see if there is any limit to how much long it can be

Zoe

TTP said:
Gonna try to make a long video now to see if there is any limit to how much long it can be

I'm gonna try capturing all of Toro Quest later. I'll probably go with saving to HDD though, don't want to risk losing it to an upload error.

Anybody know if the PS3 browser works with uploading to Youtube?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Zoe said:
I'm gonna try capturing all of Toro Quest later. I'll probably go with saving to HDD though, don't want to risk losing it to an upload error.

Anybody know if the PS3 browser works with uploading to Youtube?

It doesn't. When clicking on the UPLOAD button it goes searching for photos rather than videos :/

I tried recording more. After exactly 9 mins and 59 second a red X appeared on the camera icon. I then tried to upload it but I was only given the option to save it on the XMB. *Confused*

Zoe

TTP said:
It doesn't. When clicking on the UPLOAD button it goes searching for photos rather than videos :/

Damn, hopefully that's something that can be fixed further down the road.

TTP said:
I tried recording more. After exactly 9 mins and 59 second a red X appeared on the camera icon. I then tried to upload it but I was only given the option to save it on the XMB. *Confused*

Is there a limit on size for Youtube vids? That must have ended up being over 60 MB, right?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Manual stopped it at around 5mins mark. Uploading now no prob. 13Mb size.

Zoe, going by the size of this 5min vid I guess that 10mins one was 25Mb or something.

Gonna try making another long video now to see if it stops again at 10mins mark. Might have been an error or something before.

I love has fast and easy everything is working tho.

AndyD

aka andydumi
It is limited to 10 minutes on Youtube.

And to the guy asking how R* will deal with it? If the developers build it into the game, then they dont have the right to take it down...

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
andydumi said:
It is limited to 10 minutes on Youtube.

And to the guy asking how R* will deal with it? If the developers build it into the game, then they dont have the right to take it down...

But it's also limited to 10 minute for XMB tho, since it stopped at that mark before I could choose where to put it.

Busty

Banned
Wasn't there an interview with Phil Harrison a few years ago on he MTV gaming site in which he claimed that Sony were developing two games that would use game videos in some way.

IIRC, he said that one was being developed at Sony London and the other was at an external studio. I'm fairly sure the interview was after the unveiling of Singstar PS3 and HOME so it may be something we've yet to see.

If fully implimented, it does sound really cool.

Zoe

TTP said:
Zoe, going by the size of this 5min vid I guess that 10mins one was 25Mb or something.

Ah, I must have remembered the length of my failed Shiritori upload incorrectly. It was 20MB.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Ok, ULTIMATE TEST!

Video recording and YouTube uploading via PSP in Remote Play (since this application supports that).

Trying now..

lol, fail. Doesn't even let me grab pics. :lol

oh well.

V. excited about this as a PSN dev..

I'm really curious though if this MI game is using SDK functionality to record or their own code.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
ickingfudiot said:

I'm really curious though if this MI game is using SDK functionality to record or their own code.

A PSN dev? What are you working on? Show yourself!

Zoe

Bwahahaha, got all of Toro Quest in one take, next up, Toro Love Story :D

I'll have to upload them manually though :(

ickingfudiot said:

Mainichi Issho has pretty much been the beta testing ground for SDK functionality since day one.

arne

I need to say that I've been loving how YouTube has been pushing it's API to game companies for this type of thing. It's something I've been very very interesting.

I'd be a whole lot happier if there's an HD solution or one of the very few HD sharing sites do something like this with their API. YouTube needs to jump in to the next-gen!

Top Bottom