• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony And Microsofts Next Generation Racers Rumored

Raide

The Florence tracks were so glorious.

Agreed! They felt more like tracks carved out of the city. Sure some places really do have those massive straight and delicious bends but PGR2 had some amazing tracks that were genuinely fun to navigate.

Also, driving fat old 4x4's around Dundee was awesome fun. :D

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
PGR5 but more like PGR2 please! Driving all these 250mph+ Supercars gets boring as hell. Bring back some of the PGR2 lineup instead. Also, need some of those crazy Scottish tracks they threw in. Way more interesting to drive than massive racetracks from PGR4.

Tell me a-fucking-bout it, we need a PGR 2-2 asap!

I'd kill for such a sequel. .

TheOddOne

What's that telling us though? I mean... we knew Lucid was doing something that would come out this year... is there another reason for me to get excited that I'm overlooking?
Playground Games used the same line "Working with a major publisher" while working on Horizon. You can see it as a kind of confirmation that things are happening.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
jyEvE13NNQtaK.png
1348387567691.gif

Seems like Rare and Lucid and Playground and Turn 10 are working on the next PGR. I guess it's gonna be the Assassins Creed of racing games....

That's basically the same size as Polyphony.

120 people is pretty small for PD. GG has about 280 if you include Cambridge and ND has well over 200 employees.

If what you say is true, then it's no wonder their games take forever to come out, they ONLY work on GT even though Kaz wants to do an RPG, and they can't match Forza in terms of amount of HD models and whatnot. T10 has something like 300 employees and they still outsource some other stuff? At least that's what I think I read here before.

JaggedSac

So, Lucid, Turn 10 and Playground Games confirmed..?

Shit, this gonna be huge!

Edit...3 other studios..?
Rare..?

I am taking that to mean he is working on a team of 4 people.

EDIT: Beaten. If I am going to leave tabs open, I guess I should hit refresh before replying.

Raide

I don't know what I want from a next gen PGR game that Forza already gives me...

Arcade racing with supreme style in varied and mostly untouched (development wise) city environments, not just perfectly driving around famous race tracks. A variety of vehicles , not just supercars.

Arcade racing with supreme style in varied and mostly untouched (development wise) city environments, not just perfectly driving around famous race tracks. A variety of vehicles , not just supercars.

Yeah, they're different enough that I enjoy each for what they are.

Foshy

Please let the Lucid game be for PS4. I really don't want to get all the consoles again next gen ;_;

What indicates that the Lucid project is likely to be for Durango? Lucid made that "Travel Bug" Vita app so maybe they could have formed some bond with Sony.

Linkified

I mean I would love for PGR5 to track weather and time, so if your playing from the UK a London track and it is raining, the game auto sets time and weather settings. I presume we will get an autolog type feature set I guess.

Raide

I mean I would love for PGR5 to track weather and time, so if your playing from the UK a London track and it is raining, the game auto sets time and weather settings. I presume we will get an autolog type feature set I guess.

That was something they had in PGR2 if I remember. Not really fully fleshed out but a cool idea....well, unless you live in the UK and everything defaults to shitty rain. :D

thuway

Please let the Lucid game be for PS4. I really don't want to get all the consoles again next gen ;_;

Evolution has you covered. Lucid Games is much smaller than Evolution. I would expect a PGR port into 60 FPS/1080p.?

People, seriously temper your enthusiasm for Lucid Games. It is a team of 33 people.

Linkified

I think the main issue now could be Horizon. Personally I would want to drop Horizon and incorporate that into a new PGR title. Not sure all 3 can sit side-by-side.

I presume seen as Phil is now in charge of European part, that he may try and get Lucid to work on a Wipeout/Blur type game?

Foshy

Evolution has you covered. Lucid Games is much smaller than Evolution. I would expect a PGR port into 60 FPS/1080p.

It's not only about that, I loved Blur, PGR and Geometry Wars and was really sad when Bizarre Creations closed. I really want to support Lucid.

thuway

It's not only about that, I loved Blur, PGR and Geometry Wars and was really sad when Bizarre Creations closed. I really want to support Lucid.

Bizarre was massive. If you really want to support them, you should buy whatever Sumo Digital is putting out. The team has literally went everywhere.

scently

Evolution has you covered. Lucid Games is much smaller than Evolution. I would expect a PGR port into 60 FPS/1080p.?

People, seriously temper your enthusiasm for Lucid Games. It is a team of 33 people.

One of the job description from one of the Lucid staff states that he is co-ordinating with 3 other developers so I don't think they will be working on it alone. If I were to guess, it will be a collaboration between Lucid, Rare and Turn10, and maybe Playground.

Shaneus

Yeah, I'm thinking that we'll be getting a new PGR game, with Lucid somewhat being the "heads" of the direction side of things, with Playground taking on a role lesser than what they had with Horizon, being more of an associate (perhaps like more than T10 with Horizon, but less than a full-blown sole developer) and Rare being a bit more of a workhorse. Although I wouldn't complain if there was a Viva Pinata easter egg in there somewhere ;)

The weather and time of day thing I think is pretty much a lock. Bizarre's reason for not including that in PGR4 was disc space, not time or lack of ability. So you can bet your arse that if it's a PGR title they're working on, it'll have full weather and day/night cycles.

I have no problem with this.

EdrgnRw.jpg

No.

That was something they had in PGR2 if I remember. Not really fully fleshed out but a cool idea....well, unless you live in the UK and everything defaults to shitty rain. :D
Can't remember about PGR2, but 100% in MSR. I think there was a bug in the first release of it, but believe it was fixed.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

We know its a small team, but if they're working in conjunction with multiple other devs, doesn't it make it a bit more plausible that they're working on PGR as well?

I guess everyone kinda is looking at Lucid as the main component of all this because of that image teaser, but even if they're just doing contract work and the bulk of the work is being done elsewhere, I'm fine with that. And if they're not working on it, then that makes everything very complicated again.

Drop a tease man, do it for the dashed hopes of people after PGR4 :(

EDIT: Unless your implying the new PGR is indeed a port.. In which case it better be PGR2.. But also that would be incredibly underwhelming having an HDmake as a part of a launch lineup.

What indicates that the Lucid project is likely to be for Durango? Lucid made that "Travel Bug" Vita app so maybe they could have formed some bond with Sony.

It may not be for Durango, it might be for the 360, but I think it's unlikely at this point. Sony? Even less likely. They teased the game with a pic showing a part of PGR's London track, they're working on a game they can't name yet (so probably a known property) for a big publisher, they're made out of a bunch of ex-Bizarre people, and we know Microsoft has been actively looking for a new team to take over the PGR franchise (which they fully own). So either Lucid are being rather cheeky trolls or they're working on the next PGR, possibly together with another studio (and Playground would indeed be a great choice, considering how they're pretty big, have some experience as a team, and also employ a number of ex-Bizarre folks).

Shaneus

It may not be for Durango, it might be for the 360, but I think it's unlikely at this point. Sony? Even less likely. They teased the game with a pic showing a part of PGR's London track, they're working on a game they can't name yet (so probably a known property) for a big publisher, they're made out of a bunch of ex-Bizarre people, and we know Microsoft has been actively looking for a new team to take over the PGR franchise (which they fully own). So either Lucid are being rather cheeky trolls or they're working on the next PGR, possibly together with another studio (and Playground would indeed be a great choice, considering how they're pretty big, have some experience as a team, and also employ a number of ex-Bizarre folks).
Could you imagine it, if MS basically decide to merge Playground with Lucid but make Lucid the parent (despite being smaller than Playground), essentially creating Bizarre 2? Hells yes.

Lakitu

st5fu
Man I love everything about PGR 2 including it's tracks, driving and career mode. Fond memories of driving in Hong Kong, Sydney, Florence, Washington and Edinburgh. Stunning game.

Shaneus

But Playground games has more Codie staff than Bizarre:

j1mcQvUWR9GHv.png
But add them together, and there'll be more Bizarre staff!

Anyway, I was quite happy with Horizon, but there are some decisions in that game which come off as undeniably Codemaster-y. Get the Lucid boys telling them what needs to be done and we'll be right.

But add them together, and there'll be more Bizarre staff!

Anyway, I was quite happy with Horizon, but there are some decisions in that game which come off as undeniably Codemaster-y. Get the Lucid boys telling them what needs to be done and we'll be right.

Nah, I prefer having two studios with somewhat distinct visions, as long as they both keep delivering good games. Playground have already proven themselves, hopefully Lucid manage to do that, too.

One thing that stood out to me during the Sony conference...
When they showed the list of third party partners there was a Lucid Games logo.

I think that all but disproves the rumor of Lucid Games working on Project Gotham 5. :(

I wonder if Big Park or Rare are working on it instead...

I think that all but disproves the rumor of Lucid Games working on Project Gotham 5. :(

Yeah, weird. They're such a small team, maybe they're co-developing with Evolution. Maybe there is no PGR.

Shaneus

Lucid worked on that exploring game on Vita. Could well be doing the same thing on PS4 (unless that list wasn't just for PS4 but for Vita as well, in which case there's even less to worry about). Besides, wasn't there a Nintendo logo as well or was I just looking at a 'chop?

Shaneus

I posted it in the PGR thread as well, but I suppose posting it here isn't going to hurt, either. Courtesy of a dude on another forum, but he probably got it from somewhere on GAF anyway, so apologies if you've all seen it before... I hadn't:
jptf6viudXdnx.png

Top Bottom