• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces GDC presence, teases new technology/online service announcements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wollan

http://www.gamedailyxl.com/

Although GDC hasn't officially started, there have been plenty of fireworks, from Sony dropping bombs to Microsoft rolling out some of its big guns. Here are some early observations....

...People will respect Sony: The time has come for video game journalists to stop earning a living bashing Sony and give the publisher its due. Tomorrow morning, the company will roll out its latest PlayStation 3 initiative as well as a very innovative video game, and anyone that criticizes them for that should be beaten. This is really cool stuff.

:D

"People will respect Sony: The time has come for video game journalists to stop earning a living bashing Sony and give the publisher its due. Tomorrow morning, the company will roll out its latest PlayStation 3 initiative as well as a very innovative video game, and anyone that criticizes them for that should be beaten. This is really cool stuff."

Can't wait...

And so the interweb begins to convulse uncontrollably, until it ultimately turns itself inside out. Bannings may (will) happen.

Such will be the madness of finally showing real-time Killzone.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
MickeyKnox said:
And so the interweb begins to convulse uncontrollably, until it ultimately turns itself inside out. Bannings may (will) happen.

Such will be the madness of finally showing real-time Killzone.

Which wont happen today. Ah well.

chubigans said:
Which wont happen today. Ah well.
In all honesty I really hope it doesn't. I am starting to get exited for this "new exclusive game" that gamedaily was talking about.

Also isn't it about time to consolidate all the GDC stuff into one official thread?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
alterego said:
I agree. Killzone with FEAR level graphics would be a disaster. They've ridden 2 years hype on a CG trailer (it may have been established later that the "gameplay" quote was referring to Resistance but it was vague and the sitation was not cleared up at the time). The backlash would be deserved.

Anyway there should be more impressions soon...
You know, I can see it being a huge disaster, but I just can't imagine any comparison with FEAR...

Based on their previous work, I doubt the choppy appearance of FEAR is going to become an issue here. I mean, for one, things like weapon animation in FEAR were awful (and even the original PS2 Killzone was superior in that area). Secondly, FEAR takes place entirely within confined spaces. No matter what Killzone looks like, do you REALLY think they are going to limit the game to extremely simplistic, flat hallways and office buildings?! FEAR is about the last thing I could see this being compared to. Perhaps certain aspects, but the overall look? The art style, animation, and locations in FEAR just don't jive with what we've seen in the previous KZ titles.

PnCIa

I have the feeling that the whole FEAR comparison doesn´t mean it looks like FEAR. The CG trailer showed very cinematic (actually it was a cinematic trailer :p) action and FEAR feels like an action movie...

DenogginizerOS said:
LOL! I love the 7.5 on the hot dog. :lol

Aw man. You got me all excited. I thought he was going to rip that shit but the camera man had to walk him into that gag like a seeing eye dog. Jay Leno shit FTL.

llTll

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
Aw man. You got me all excited. I thought he was going to rip that shit but the camera man had to walk him into that gag like a seeing eye dog. Jay Leno shit FTL.

yeah but see.. they are going to talk about playstation home.

we already know that. so for us [ we at gaf at least ] will not have much impact on us.

***k it. i am hyped.

llTll said:
yeah but see.. they are going to talk about playstation home.

we already know that. so for us [ we at gaf at least ] will not have much impact on us.

***k it. i am hyped.

????

I was just looking to watch a quality gag. I'm just as excited about seeing Home stuff as anyone else. That was just a lamely choreographed joke and whenever anyone takes the time to post, like "LOL that was funny" I click on whatever it is and hope to laugh. Not a big deal.

acabado

Banned
elostyle said:
What's going on here? Have there been news?

HypeTrain.jpg

llTll

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
????

I was just looking to watch a quality gag. I'm just as excited about seeing Home stuff as anyone else. That was just a lamely choreographed joke and whenever anyone takes the time to post, like "LOL that was funny" I click on whatever it is and hope to laugh. Not a big deal.

oo

i was thinking you are talking about annoucments you are waiting for . not the Home thing :p

tanod

when is my burrito
dark10x said:
You know, I can see it being a huge disaster, but I just can't imagine any comparison with FEAR...

Yeah, that game sucked last year when it came out. Also, those Uncertainty and Doubt games also sucked. Hope Killzone is better. I have zero expectations for that game considering the first one.

dark10x

tanod said:
Yeah, that game sucked last year when it came out. Also, those Uncertainty and Doubt games also sucked. Hope Killzone is better. I have zero expectations for that game considering the first one.
Heh, yeah, perhaps my response was a bit quick (based on comments on this page rather than the original comment).

luca_29_bg

SamBishop said:
What he said.

Nothing public until E3. Yes, I've seen it (along with a bazillion other press folk who will probably talk about it at 10:30 and crush your dreams). The Home shit you have imagined is pretty much on track. It's ****ing sick and you won't even have to wait for the whole keynote to learn about it. I'm so goddamn glad I own a PS3...

This include uncharted maybe ?

btrboyev

Why do people care about killzone? The series pretty much sucks from its first two incarnations...why does it get so much hype?

dark10x

btrboyev said:
Why do people care about killzone? The series pretty much sucks from its first two incarnations...why does it get so much hype?
1) First game had potential in a lot of key areas
2) Second game was very solid fun
3) CG trailer looked amazing and created an unrealistic hype for it

Amir0x

Banned
btrboyev said:

Well Killzone 1 was mediocre. Killzone Liberation was **** amazing and one of the best portable games of last year. But it's a totally different type of game than what Killzone 2 will be, so it is pretty hard to get excited for that until Guerilla can demonstrate they can deliver on promises in the FPS genre.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
mckmas8808 said:
So the biglittle thing is a game?
Seems more like a game construction app:

"In a demonstration to media outlets on Tuesday night, Harrison also unveiled a new title, "LittleBigPlanet," which allows users to create their own games using materials found in the virtual world."

It'd be nice if this is where the YouTube aspect of Harrison's hinting comes into play - construct your own minigames with ready-made parts that can be shared with others YouTube style.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think that being able to "do something" with your "achievements" is really a step in the right direction and was really a point of contention raised over achievement points on the 360. They have that rewards program now, but I think it's much cooler to be able to "play a game" with your trophies provided the game doesn't absolutely suck balls.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
kaching said:
Seems more like a game construction app:

"In a demonstration to media outlets on Tuesday night, Harrison also unveiled a new title, "LittleBigPlanet," which allows users to create their own games using materials found in the virtual world."

It'd be nice if this is where the YouTube aspect of Harrison's hinting comes into play - construct your own minigames with ready-made parts that can be shared with others YouTube style.

Would people have to come to your HOME and play them?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
mckmas8808 said:
Would people have to come to your HOME and play them?
No idea, we'll have to wait for more details since what I quoted appears to be all that's been officially said about LBP so far.

hyonoid

GDC: PS3 is "best machine"

Former Shiny Entertainment boss Dave Perry has praised Sony's PS3 hardware, describing it as "the best piece of hardware, without question" - but claims that it will be years before developers tap that power.
Advertisement

Speaking exclusively to GamesIndustry.biz at GDC, Perry said that he hasn't seen "a single game that shows me the power of PlayStation 3."

"I haven't seen anything even close to what the machine's capable of doing," he claimed. "So that's the sad part for Sony - I feel really bad for them that somebody hasn't really stepped up to show us the hardware all singing, all dancing."

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=73795

:O

hyonoid said:
GDC: PS3 is "best machine"

Former Shiny Entertainment boss Dave Perry has praised Sony's PS3 hardware, describing it as "the best piece of hardware, without question" - but claims that it will be years before developers tap that power.
Advertisement

Speaking exclusively to GamesIndustry.biz at GDC, Perry said that he hasn't seen "a single game that shows me the power of PlayStation 3."

"I haven't seen anything even close to what the machine's capable of doing," he claimed. "So that's the sad part for Sony - I feel really bad for them that somebody hasn't really stepped up to show us the hardware all singing, all dancing."

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=73795

:O
Pipe down there, Dave. This guy hasn't made a good game since Messiah. I used to admire the guy until he sold his soul to make a shitty licensed game. He's this generation's Trip Hawkins...

Pazuzu

Banned
I just wanna...enjoy this moment. This mass hysteria before the keynote. As a PS3 owner, these are the only moments I'm free. These moments of raised expectations permeated by the naive hope that something wonderful is going to happen...just before Sony slightly underdelivers and the rest of the GAF'ers come crashing down to shatter my dreams and make me a cynical pessimistic gamer again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom