• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces partnership w/ KojiPro, New IP, 1st game "console exclusive to PS4"/PC

Scotia

Banned
I love PlayStation, but even I think they are getting a bit arrogant with this video announcement. Shu's tweet is also a good example.

How the fuck else would they announce it? If you managed to get Hideo fucking Kojima to partner with your studio you wouldn't just put out a little press release, would you? No, you'd want to sing it from the rooftops and make sure everyone knew the huge deal you just made. How the fuck is this even arrogant? Jesus. People are digging real deep to find the worst in companies lately.

CWVaRp2UEAAIVfc.jpg

https://twitter.com/Kojima_Hideo/status/677046592369639425

All is right with the world.

Toki767

I dont get how this si over the top?

Am I missing something here?

Yeah seriously. Over the top would be if they got reporters together for a press conference just to announce this. Or have it be a big surprise at E3.

This was, by all accounts, a very low key announcement.

mekes

Sony's basically trying to save console video game development in Japan this generation and for some reason people are trying to paint them as arrogant or lazy. It's pretty ridiculous.

The thing about this post is, there is no way you can say it isn't true. Sony are trying and we should be happy that somebody is.

Occam

Some people here need to pick up a dictionary and look up the meaning of arrogance.
Protip: If you don't know the meaning of a word, don't use it.

What are Microsoft doing letting this get away from them?

They're in dire need of new studios creating (console) exclusive software

It's like some people think he was being sold on ebay or something. Who knows if he was even interested in signing with Microsoft, it's not like he has the history with Microsoft that he does with Sony (or Nintendo for that matter).

But if what you say is true, that would mean the death of Pro Evolution Soccer as well, seeing as it is built on the FOX-engine.

I'm a bit curious to see how Konami handles PES.

They can probably maintain enough technical staff to support it, or even swap over to a different engine (licensing outside the company for support) if they wanted to, but the wildcard these days is always the "want to" part.

Roni

Gold Member
Steel Cog (2020)
Steel Cog 2: Vapor Cobra (2023)
Steel Cog Vapor (2031)
Steel Cog Vapor 2: Cousins of Freedom (2034)
Steel Cog Vapor 3: Cobra Consumer (2037)
Steel Cog Vapor 4: Weapons of the Nationalists (2041)
Steel Cog Vapor: Calm Wanderer (2043)
Steel Cog Vapor S: Terrain Non-Positives/Negatives (2048)
Steel Cog Vapor S: The Spectral Ache (2049)

LifEndz

Good that he's up on his feet this fast. Shame that it needed to be an exclusive though.
I don't see a problem with Ryan's tweet.
Exactly.

Yeah, nothing wrong with him asking the question. And if I were an X1 only owner this morning, I would definitely want to know if MS even tried to secure this partnership for themselves.

HUGE get for Sony!

I'm not a big Metal Gear fan, haven't played one since MGS2 but this just reinforces the pull that Sony have this gen. Will be interesting to see if MS try to retaliate, at all?

To be honest, I don't think they can.

Spades

PlayStation exclusive is sucky. And I can't help but feel that the general vibe in this thread would be very different if the deal was with Microsoft instead.

zsynqx

That's literally his job though.

Yep.

If it was someone like Arthur Gies who poses as an impartial journo then I would understand, but calling out Ryan is just silly.

Phil Spencer might as well tweet at Colin and Greg saying the same thing if this is such a "sick burn."

''We pull in money, recruits, just to combat Konami. Rubbing our noses in bloody game development dirt... All for revenge." -Hideo Kojima, Space World 2015

Behlel

PlayStation exclusive is sucky. And I can't help but feel that the general vibe in this thread would be very different if the deal was with Microsoft instead.
Stop complaint, Kojima have a long story with Sony and that's why everyone is happy about this news.

Regarding that Shu tweet, I genuinely don't see a) what elicits that response and b) the sick burn as a result.

Mind you, I like Shu, just..someone explain this to me. Explain the comedy of this "bit" if you will. Ryan is asking "did MS not even try to go for this once it was apparent Kojima was leaving Konami" which, given how little we know, maybe they did, maybe they didn't. It's a genuine question.

LifEndz

I love PlayStation, but even I think they are getting a bit arrogant with this video announcement. Shu's tweet is also a good example.

Arrogant? This is big news. This isn't something you put a post up on PSBlog for, like when you aquire some new indie studio. This is one of the most respected and establish game creator's in the business.

Of course, what did you expect? Majority of MGS fanbase is on PS platforms so if this deal was with MS it would be different.

iMax

Yep.

If it was someone like Arthur Gies who poses as an impartial journo then I would understand, but calling out Ryan is just silly.

I love Shu but you'd never see him calling out Greg for his "Sony bias". Everyone has a bias and there's no such thing as an objective opinion, so I don't really understand his point.

I bet this was what Sony wanted to end PSX with but Konami said no. And I dont find the video arrogant at all. Kojima is a very known developer and lots of fans wanted to know where he was going after the Konami debacle. Unlike other developers when we talk about the games there making we say his name while otherwise it is "rockstar is working on..., Epic is bringing ... back" so to have the guy with them seems resonable.

hohoXD123

Bit weird if it's only going to be console exclusive, IIRC SFV was only like that because Sony wasn't providing all of the funding for the game. Maybe there's another publisher which is also funding development?

Melchiah

Well, if a developer, like Bioware, who's always made games for XB platforms announced making a game to PS instead, the reaction would most likely be negative as well. It's all about the history, and where the majority of the fanbase is.

Javin98

Banned
You're right, Microsoft should have moneyhatted Kojima Productions and then send the studio to death by releasing a game on the same day as Fallout 5. In the end, Konami wins!

Jesus. PS4 will have one hell of a compelling line-up with this and the several other Japanese games in the pipeline.

That double install base of the PS4 over the Xbone is telling when it comes to securing all these titles.

Top Bottom