• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces Playstation Classic Console

Zewp

Doesn't allow more games, doesn't come with some of the greatest games on PS1 and they're too cheap to even include an AC adapter?

Hard pass. Thanks but no thanks, Sony.

SonGoku

What went wrong in your childhood? :messenger_grimmacing_
Well... i first played PS1 close to the end of PS2 gen, so i don't have nostalgia for the OG model.
You have to admit the revision is more aesthetically pleasing, if you asked a person with no previous exposure to either they would more likely choose the revision.

BTW who's the idiot who thought controllers with no analog sticks was a good idea ffs
Doesn't allow more games, doesn't come with some of the greatest games on PS1 and they're too cheap to even include an AC adapter?

Hard pass. Thanks but no thanks, Sony.
hopefully its easy to hack to run psx iso "backups"

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This is cool and I have Nintendo's micro-consoles but this is going to be a hard pass for me personally. I've got a ton of devices that can play PS1 games, some even already hooked to my TV presently. I own all the games I want to play on PSN for PS3 / Vita, and modern controllers with analog sticks are going to be able to play them better. In fact, I would wager I have a good 75% of the games that release on this on disc.

Neat nostalgia package, but it's not for me.

Super excited about this. Went ahead and preordered at Best Buy since I didn’t see it on Amazon.

Figured I can always cancel if the games aren’t what I want. Despite keeping my PS3 with the capability and catalog I grew up on PlayStation.

Agreed. I get the nostalgia=sales angle, but low-poly stuff just doesn't look good today.
Maybe it’s because the PS1 was my first console but I much prefer the early 3D over the overused 8/16bit 2D.

CJY

Banned
Jumping Flash is the one I'm most excited about from that short list of games included.
I hope they include more of those early games.

Lol, I might be the only person in the world who was excited to see the controllers are the originals and not the ones with analog sticks :D
The OG PlayStation controllers are the best. I didn't care for the sticks even back in the day.

And to Agent_Carnage, yes you can play MGS without the sticks. I always played it with the original controller. Even today I play with the d-pad whenever it's possible. I even play Mario Kart 8 with the d-pad.
Hear hear. I still remember the first time I held the PS1 in my hands. Threw in the dinosaur demo and I knew I was dealing with the future. I’m very happy this classic console includes the original controllers too.

JordanN

Banned
Pity they didn't use the aesthetically superior PSone design
PSone-Console-Set-NoLCD.jpg

wtf no analog sticks??????

My childhood best friend had that version and there was a LCD Screen attachment which I thought was the coolest thing ever.

7vbLBuT.jpg

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
If they would have released something similar to the psOne slim with the monitor adapter thingy I think I'd be more willing to bite the bullet a basic ps1 doesn't do it for me, considering how things are they should just make a PSP Classic.(rip the Vita)
maxresdefault.jpg

Seeing those translucent memory cards brings back memories.

I was the poor kid who had to beat all his games in one sitting for not being able to afford one.

Stuart360

I dont know why they dont do these retro console things, but include EVERY retail game (apart from ones with licensing problems obviously) that released for the console, and charge like $300 for it. Could call it Legacy consoles, or PS1 universe or something. I know i'd buy one, same with the N64 and other legacy consoles.

Airola

Hear hear. I still remember the first time I held the PS1 in my hands. Threw in the dinosaur demo and I knew I was dealing with the future. I’m very happy this classic console includes the original controllers too.

The dinosaur and the manta demos would be awesome as easter eggs by the way!

nkarafo

The only good thing about all these mini/classic consoles is that they look good in miniature form. They are nice to have on display and all. I can't have enough of the Euro mini SNES. But they are too expensive for this task alone.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I can't even support this, it's almost guaranteed that most people own at least one of the 3 PlayStations that play PSX games.
What's the point?
Just add BC Sony

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
Does it really not come with an power cable? So they are selling a console you can not play out the box?

Last edited:

Sakura

I can sort of understand the desire for an NES mini, and even an SNES mini, what with the systems having come out almost 30, and over 30 years ago.
But... The PS2 and PS3 both play PS1 games, and they are pretty easy to find. I'm pretty sure PS2s can be grabbed for pretty cheap. Lots of people probably still have PS3s kicking around too, I know I do.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i bought a PSOne at a thrift store a few years ago. it ended up being a first series run. the sound on it was incredible. FFVII soundtrack was just amazing, compared to an emulator it was a completely different experience. the CD spinner died on me cos i was doing the disc swap trick too much =( personally im gonna have to pass, between Switch and PC i feel like i am swimming in games rn.

Fuck yes this looks awesome. This is kind of overpriced though, isn't it?

Oh and this is the single most copycat thing I've seen in the industry like ever lol.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Damn did nobody made a pi3 post in this thread??

Why are you guys so interested in this overpriced thing.

DONT YOU KNOW YOU CAN USE A RASPBERRY PI 3 IT I SO MUCH BETTER OMG I DONT GET PEOPLE.

DAY ONE AWW YEAHHH

MadViking

Thankfully not all modern TVs support PAL50, so I think the witch is finally dead. NES and SNES were based on the NTSC versions
Unfortunately they could still do some 60 hz 'upscale' and add judder on top of black bars and lower speed that PAL games often have.

Pachi72

The PlayStation Classic will come pre-loaded with 20 classic titles, including Final Fantasy VII, Jumping Flash, Ridge Racer Type 4, Tekken 3 and Wild Arms.

*All of the pre-loaded games will be playable in their original format with more games to be announced soon.?*

The miniature console doesn't support cartridges but has on-board memory for saving your games.

"Long-time fans will appreciate the nostalgia that comes with rediscovering the games they know and love, while gamers who might be new to the platform can enjoy the groundbreaking PlayStation console experience that started it all," he says.

To console will be released in Malaysia on Dec 3 for RM429.

Each unit will also come with a HDMI cable to connect to a TV, USB cable for power, and two controllers, though the AC adaptor will be sold separately.

The release date is set to coincide with the anniversary of the original Playstation console's release in Japan in 1994.

Read more at https://www.thestar.com.my/tech/tec...sole-playstation-classic/#YV0CKOja4F0bYrIa.99

Damn did nobody made a pi3 post in this thread??

Why are you guys so interested in this overpriced thing.

DONT YOU KNOW YOU CAN USE A RASPBERRY PI 3 IT I SO MUCH BETTER OMG I DONT GET PEOPLE.

DAY ONE AWW YEAHHH
First page, I think. :messenger_smirking:

And didn't the Nintendo ones also not have a Power-Adapter in the box? So Sony is just very thoroughly copying them.:messenger_poop:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Does it really not come with an power cable? So they are selling a console you can not play out the box?

It's powered via USB and it comes with a USB cable. Most modern TVs will output 5v power through the TV's USB ports - so for most people that should be all you need. If your TV doesn't have powered USB ports, you'll need to connect the USB cable to an AC adapter, sold separately (though you probably already have one if you've bought a cell phone in the past 10 years).

Breakage

The only time I ever experienced playing a PlayStation with no rumble was when I got my launch PS3 with two SIXAXIS controllers. I couldn't shake the feeling that something was missing; I just couldn't get used to it. I managed to get a DS3 imported from Japan as soon as they became available and everything felt right again.

wvnative

UGHHHHHHHHHH

I have a goddamned PS4 pro that can play Spider-Man in 4k. Why the hell can't I play PS1 games on it.

Hated the very concept of a classic console when Nintendo did theirs, and this one is even worse.

Remember how the PS3 had both PS1 disc compatibility plus like 400 games to download?

Last edited:

Zewp

Yeah, I don't know how they can justify selling something you can't use out of the box.

Then again, they're also too cheap to give you a USB cable when you buy a new controller (even though they can be had for cents), so I shouldn't be surprised at this point.

jshackles

I have a goddamned PS4 pro that can play Spider-Man in 4k. Why the hell can't I play PS1 games on it.

Optimism time: maybe the Playstation Classic sells well, and it let's Sony Execs know that gamers are still interested in playing classic games in 2018. Maybe the PS5 will release with backwards compatibility for the PS1 discs and downloads.

wvnative

Optimism time: maybe the Playstation Classic sells well, and it let's Sony Execs know that gamers are still interested in playing classic games in 2018. Maybe the PS5 will release with backwards compatibility for the PS1 discs and downloads.

I can only hope. But everything in general just seems to be moving backwards...

Top Bottom