• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces Playstation Classic Console

hecatomb

Banned
What makes you think this system won't incorporate those same emulation mistakes? Not trying to be a jerk or anything, genuinely curious.

Same here - I have a NES classic and SNES classic so this would fit right into a "mini console" collection, but if I end up keeping my pre-order I probably won't even take it out of the package lol
They could just port the PSN versions. Its not a guarantee though

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Amazon pre-order is up! Don't pay until it ships.

Grab them while they're hot! :messenger_sunglasses:
Capture.jpg

Last edited:

Impotaku

Really am curious which game is in there is the one that justifies the 18 age rating on the uk version box. Im thinking either Doom, silent hill or resident evil maybe? i can't think of many other games that had 18 ratings on ps1.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Music licenses are the worst thing of the game industry... So many game re-releases held back because of them.

hecatomb

Banned
Theres a lot of M-rated games on PS1 besides RE1, Silent hill.

Parasite eve 1 and 2
hexen
MGS
Mortal komat games
GTA games
loaded games
nightmare creatures
clock tower games
alone in the dark
siphon filter games
shadow man
legacy of kain games
Tenchu 1 and 2
Dino crisis 1 and 2
duke nukem games
fear effect 1 and 2

are just a few

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Those controllers are USB connected, right?

Would be great even for retropi users, everyone wins.

Last edited:

KiteGr

I have 0 faith in it!
The library is going to be piss poor and mostly stuff you have already played!
I'm busting my wallet as we speak to find old hidden gems on E-bay.

It's gona be even worse in Europe where we didn't even get many of the popular gems in the first place, and I'm pretty sure they aren't going to rate them this time ether...

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Gees Sony are such followers in the industry. They never come up with anything original.

Also instead of actual BC they AGAIN just want to charge you for games you probably already bought at one time.

Of course the fanboys will trip over themself given the chance to give Sony more money for stuff they already bought before.
No need for this shit please.

Except you have to already own the game's to be free. Of not you'll have to buy them from the Xbox store. So they're not completely free.

And yes, I do commend Xbox on doing that part very well. Although I'd buy the shit out of a classic mini Xbox :D

And yes, I do commend Xbox on doing that part very well. Although I'd buy the shit out of a classic mini Xbox :D

It'd probably still be huge... lol And a mini Duke controller would be the size of a normal controller today. :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

Lightsbane

Thanks, Sony, but I'm good.

Bought the Sega Mega Drive Classics the other day, for like 15 bucks, and it came with 50+ games. It will last me for a while.
Didn't even need to connect anything else to my TV, works just fine on my PS4.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Damn what's up with the Canada neglect? Hope you guys get an option soon.
I ended up just placing a pre order through Amazon UK, just in case I never manage to secure one from Canadian retailers.

No Canadian pre-orders up yet... :messenger_loudly_crying:
Since the rest of them ditched us, you're in charge of the CanadaGAF thread now, so as soon it's up here you better let us know :p

Last edited:
I ended up just placing a pre order through Amazon UK, just in case I never manage to secure one from Canadian retailers.

Since the rest of them ditched us, you're in charge of the CanadaGAF thread now, so as soon it's up here you better let us know :p

Haha seems to be that way, I post in there every time I come across deals. Calling all Canadian's if you see this shit go up for pre-order post it in the CanadaGAF thread if you haven't seen me post in there.

I just built a pi3+ in the fam icon case and it is glorious. However I will still buy this. It can stay in a box and if my Pi breaks or I lose my roms and ISO’s and can’t recover them it will be handy.

I just found out what the wattage of this device is: 5 watts.

Which more than likely means its going to use an ARM based platform similar to NES/SNES Mini.

If its the same hardware, then it will be an easy machine to port homebrew over, which i feel is the biggest, albeit less prominent potential advantage of this PS Classic. It could be an ideal low end machine, although their PSTV already fits that role. Since the PS Classic likely is going to run Linux, other games may be ported over though.

That being said, in terms of technical prowess, you could argue even the NES/SNES Classic's are incredibly overpriced for what they are offering technically, especially when you can get an TV Box with vastly more modern CPU, GPU, more RAM and more flash memory for half the price, except that runs Android.

I hope the PS Classic actually does run a modern SoC (As in, 64 bit's Cortex A53) instead of the rather outdated AllWinner R16 platform, but i am not holding my hopes up.

Just cause its rated for 5 doesn't mean it'll draw that, the SNES Mini draws around 2.3 watts which, funnily enough, is the same as a PSTV draws. Now if I were the gambling sort I'd say that its more than likely that the PS Classic actually contains repurposed mobos from that device that Sony had lying around in which case it will be very interesting to see what the mod scene is like because the Vita homebrew arena is flourishing.

If, however, that is the case then it makes no sense for Sony to lock down the games instead of turning it into another PSN delivery channel and allowing people to buy/add more titles which would've made a lot more sense all round so the ARM option, given how decently PS1 is emulated on the SNES Mini, may just be likely.

The real fun begins once its released and the modding commences. Yay! Another paperweight!

gspat

PS1 images are huge in comparison to NES, SNES, Genesis etc.

They can be up to 700 MB compared to the 2 - 6 MB of the others.

How much storage do you think this will have?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
PS1 images are huge in comparison to NES, SNES, Genesis etc.

They can be up to 700 MB compared to the 2 - 6 MB of the others.

How much storage do you think this will have?

Well it's got 20 games, so they'll likely need at least 10GB of storage space considering some of the games (like Final Fantasy VII) are multiple disks and take up 1.4GB or so of space on their own. Most of the games were 700MB because that was the capacity of the CDs they were burned onto. Some games were famously smaller than that, so it also depends on what type of compression they use. I would say that 16GB maybe 32GB of onboard storage would be a safe bet, anything above that and they're probably wasting production costs.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Maybe I need to give it another shot, but I personally love the look of the first two, and really enjoyed Rage Racer. 4 was hard for me to get into for some reason

Well Type 4 included a 60fps version of RR1 so maybe you will get lucky.

So it doesn't do the single thing that has value against emulators: read original PS Discs?

No thanks, I'll keep both my orignal PS and PSOne, and continue ripping my PS Discs for emulators. What a wasted opportunity (yet another for Sony)...

gspat

Well it's got 20 games, so they'll likely need at least 10GB of storage space considering some of the games (like Final Fantasy VII) are multiple disks and take up 1.4GB or so of space on their own. Most of the games were 700MB because that was the capacity of the CDs they were burned onto. Some games were famously smaller than that, so it also depends on what type of compression they use. I would say that 16GB maybe 32GB of onboard storage would be a safe bet, anything above that and they're probably wasting production costs.

Maybe we'll get lucky and that expansion slot door is hiding an SD card slot for extra storage.

Or, more likely, it's a slot for a shitty Sony proprietary memory card from a Vita.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
So it doesn't do the single thing that has value against emulators: read original PS Discs?

No thanks, I'll keep both my orignal PS and PSOne, and continue ripping my PS Discs for emulators. What a wasted opportunity (yet another for Sony)...
Why would it do that it might even be smaller than a Disc drive

Neolombax

Not for me. I can never understand the demand for classic consoles. I've been through that generation and as much fond memories I have about those days, I look forward to new things.

So I get the want for SNES classic. Those games are relatively hard to find on nintendo e-shops, they look good on the screen.

PS1 games are easy to find in various formats, and they will look like trash on the screen.

The hardest game I can even think of to find for PS1, that I haven't been able to find, is Brave Fencer Musashi.

PS1, at least to me, is a Squaresoft gaming machine, and outside of Medieval and Spyro, I doubt I would want anything else on it.

The hardest game I can even think of to find for PS1, that I haven't been able to find, is Brave Fencer Musashi.

If I get some time to this weekend, I'll go into my storage and get it for you. I already know that I won't play it again, and I should still have my copy. I'll let you know if I find it.

Impotaku

Theres a lot of M-rated games on PS1 besides RE1, Silent hill.

Parasite eve 1 and 2
hexen
MGS
Mortal komat games
GTA games
loaded games
nightmare creatures
clock tower games
alone in the dark
siphon filter games
shadow man
legacy of kain games
Tenchu 1 and 2
Dino crisis 1 and 2
duke nukem games
fear effect 1 and 2

are just a few
Man totally forgot about a lot of those, now which of them on that list are ones that Sony would class as flagship games to represent the mini. Some of those must be on there as there's no reason why the console box would have the 18 rating on otherwise.

Hinedorf

Banned
The only one of these classic consoles I tried was the Sega Genesis which I returned after 1 day due to the RF controllers being so twitchy you'd lose signal just from a slight flinch/slouch. I don't know if they've all been built that way but it was an automatic deal breaker for me.

The only one of these classic consoles I tried was the Sega Genesis which I returned after 1 day due to the RF controllers being so twitchy you'd lose signal just from a slight flinch/slouch. I don't know if they've all been built that way but it was an automatic deal breaker for me.

Unfortunately, you bought one of the shit ones that Sega was all too happy to sell the license for (perhaps you even got the AT Games one that was absolute shit?). The official ones are likely to be much better - the official Nintendo produced ones are great, just as I am sure the Sony one will be.
Personally, the pricing will keep me away though.

Mattyp

Gold Member
So I get the want for SNES classic. Those games are relatively hard to find on nintendo e-shops, they look good on the screen.

PS1 games are easy to find in various formats, and they will look like trash on the screen.

PS1, at least to me, is a Squaresoft gaming machine, and outside of Medieval and Spyro, I doubt I would want anything else on it.

Are you after the ROM or the physical game? Because I can easily send a PM with ahhh erm one of those for you.

Impotaku

Just seen a pic of the back of the console, what on earth is behind that expansion slot cover? It definitely looks removable.

Bullet Club

The library is going to be piss poor and mostly stuff you have already played!
Aren't all of these classic consoles full of games people have already played? That's the point of them.

Also if it has stuff like GTA, RE2, Castlevania: SOTN, Tomb Raider, Suikoden 2, Twisted Metal 3, Tomba, Rayman, Parappa, Abe's Oddysee etc. on it then that would be a pretty good line up of games.

Top Bottom