• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces PlayStation VR2 and Sense Controllers at CES

AlexxKidd

The PlayStation Blog has been posted.

Also announced, Horizon: Call of the Mountain

Horizon Call of the Mountain, created for PlayStation’s Next-Gen VR hardware, is an upcoming brand-new adventure in the world of Horizon. Embrace a new level of immersion in an unique experience, designed to push hardware technology, innovation, and gameplay.

FITTHjyVUAkfoMP

PlayStation VR2 Specifications​

Display methodOLED
Panel resolution2000 x 2040 per eye
Panel refresh rate90Hz, 120Hz
Lens separationAdjustable
Field of ViewApprox. 110 degrees
SensorsMotion Sensor: Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer)
Attachment Sensor: IR Proximity sensor
Cameras4 cameras for headset and controller trackingIR camera for eye tracking per eye
FeedbackVibration on headset
Communication with PS5USB Type-C®
AudioInput: Built-in microphoneOutput: Stereo headphone jack

PlayStation VR2 Sense Controllers Specifications​

Buttons

PS button, Options button, Action buttons (Circle / Cross), R1 button, R2 button, Right Stick / R3 button​

PS button, Create button, Action buttons (Triangle / Square), L1 button, L2 button, Left Stick / L3 button​

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

It is my great pleasure to start off 2022 with news on our next generation virtual reality system for the PS5 console, starting with the official name: PlayStation VR2, and our new VR controller, PlayStation VR2 Sense controller.

PlayStation VR2 takes VR gaming to a whole new level, enabling a greater sense of presence and allowing players to escape into game worlds like never before. With the headset on and controllers in hand, players will feel a heightened range of sensations unlike any other – thanks to the creativity of the game worlds being built by our world class developers, and the latest technology incorporated into the hardware.

Building upon our innovations from PS5, PlayStation VR2 adds a true next-gen experience with high-fidelity visuals, new sensory features, and enhanced tracking – along with a simplified single-cord setup.

• Visual Fidelity: For a high-fidelity visual experience, PS VR2 offers 4K HDR, 110-degree field of view, and foveated rendering. With an OLED display, players can expect a display resolution of 2000×2040 per eye and smooth frame rates of 90/120Hz.
  • Headset-based Controller Tracking: With inside-out tracking, PS VR2 tracks you and your controller through integrated cameras embedded in the VR headset. Your movements and the direction you look at are reflected in-game without the need for an external camera.
  • New Sensory Features: PS VR2 Sense Technology combines eye tracking, headset feedback, 3D Audio, and the innovative PS VR2 Sense controller to create an incredibly deep feeling of immersion. Headset feedback is a new sensory feature that amplifies the sensations of in-game actions from the player. It’s created by a single built-in motor with vibrations that add an intelligent tactile element, bringing players closer to the gameplay experience. For example, gamers can feel a character’s elevated pulse during tense moments, the rush of objects passing close to the character’s head, or the thrust of a vehicle as the character speeds forward. Additionally, PS5’s Tempest 3D AudioTech makes sounds in the player’s surroundings come alive, adding to this new level of immersion.
  • Eye Tracking: With eye tracking, PS VR2 detects the motion of your eyes, so a simple look in a specific direction can create an additional input for the game character. This allows players to interact more intuitively in new and lifelike ways, allowing for a heightened emotional response and enhanced expression that provide a new level of realism in gaming.
All of these advancements in PlayStation VR2, combined with the haptic feedback and adaptive triggers from the PS VR2 Sense controllers, enable players to feel and interact with games in a much more visceral way. PS VR2 will also have a simple setup process — with a single cable connected directly to PS5, you can immediately jump into the VR experience.

Today we are also pleased to reveal that one of the biggest exclusive franchises on PlayStation will be coming to PS VR2 – Horizon Call of the Mountain from Guerrilla and Firesprite. This original game is being built specifically for PS VR2 and will open the doors for players to go deeper into the world of Horizon.

I hope you’ve enjoyed today’s exciting updates. Just remember, this is only a taste of things to come, and I can’t wait to share more details with you about PS VR2. In the meantime, below is the list of official specifications.

PlayStation VR2 Specifications​

Display methodOLED
Panel resolution2000 x 2040 per eye
Panel refresh rate90Hz, 120Hz
Lens separationAdjustable
Field of ViewApprox. 110 degrees
SensorsMotion Sensor: Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer)
Attachment Sensor: IR Proximity sensor
Cameras4 cameras for headset and controller trackingIR camera for eye tracking per eye
FeedbackVibration on headset
Communication with PS5USB Type-C®
AudioInput: Built-in microphoneOutput: Stereo headphone jack

PlayStation VR2 Sense Controllers Specifications​

Buttons

PS button, Options button, Action buttons (Circle / Cross), R1 button, R2 button, Right Stick / R3 button

PS button, Create button, Action buttons (Triangle / Square), L1 button, L2 button, Left Stick / L3 button​

[TR]
[TD]Sensing/ Tracking[/TD]
[TD]Motion Sensor: Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope + three-axis accelerometer)
Capacitive Sensor: Finger Touch DetectionIR LED: Position Tracking[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Feedback [/TD]
[TD]Trigger Effect (on R2/L2 button), Haptic Feedback (by single actuator per unit)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Port[/TD]
[TD]USB Type-C® Port[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Communication[/TD]
[TD]Bluetooth® Ver5.1 [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Battery[/TD]
[TD]Type: Built-in Lithium-ion Rechargeable Battery[/TD]
[/TR]

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Hope it works on PC if it's affordable and the inside out tracking is on par (I dunno why the controllers include motion sensors etc., I guess it's for when they go out of the HMD's view?).

Edit: the HMD itself also has all kinds of sensors within, I don't get that, the inside out tracking is enough even in the worst VR kits to track the head position/movement at all times 🤷‍♂️

Also hope the eye tracking is fast enough for dynamic foveated rendering not just expressions/gameplay related stuff (DecaGear so disappointed me with hinting it's only for the latter).

Edit again: so apparently pretty much every VR HMD does include sensors like that & they're needed because camera tracking isn't fast enough while the sensors go @ like 1000hz 🔥

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
For you who know a few things about VR, how does this stack up to the competition, for example, Occulus.

Is it worth going for this or waiting for the new Occulus? which I assume will try to compete with this.

ManaByte

For you who know a few things about VR, how does this stack up to the competition, for example, Occulus.

Slightly higher res per eye than the Quest 2. The Quest 2 is 1832x1920 per eye. Same refresh rate. Oculus has the same type of tracking, etc. We don't know yet if the PSVR2 will support hand tracking or pass through, but the hardware can do it; it's all software from that point.

Elios83

Playstation blog has been taken down :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Seems really great hw wise with a huge amount of sensors, can't wait to see the design of the headset.
The original PSVR always seemed like a cool first gen technology but with too many limitations so I skipped it.

Now it seems times are mature to give VR a try later this year, I guess the price will be 399 or 499.

Last edited:

Unknown?

Slightly higher res per eye than the Quest 2. The Quest 2 is 1832x1920 per eye. Same refresh rate. Oculus has the same type of tracking, etc. We don't know yet if the PSVR2 will support hand tracking or pass through, but the hardware can do it; it's all software from that point.
Does Quest 2 have 3 sub pixels for every pixel now? The reason the original PSVR was superior to the Rift and Vive despite being lower resolution was the sub pixels that made it have less screendoor.

yurinka

The specs are so badass, and the PlayStation blog servers are exploding right now.

Sadly they didn't show the headset and didn't mention the release date. Something like a '2022' or '2023' would have been nice. It would make sense to release it during 2022, but considering covid and the chps shortage I think they will wait for 2023.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Show me some actual games and not on-rails "experiences" and MAYBE I'll bite.

You get a lot of on rails stuff with PSVR on PS4 and probably this due to how most people use their PlayStations: Sitting on the couch in a living room.

Even the standing stuff with PSVR, like Iron Man VR, was extremely limited due to how a cable limits your movement. Unless the figure out a PlayStation version of AirLink for this, it's unlikely we'll see many room scale VR games that give you the holodeck sensation of walking around and interacting with an environment. The headset absolutely can do it with the cameras and tracking, they could set a guardian and everything, the cable is just the obstacle there.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Imagine making an awesome VR headset like this and then blowing it all by not making it wireless. I don't understand how they can stumble on the finish line like that. Wired VR is the past, wireless is the future (and the present, honestly). Had it been wireless my hype for this would have been 10/10, now it's like 6/10. Might seem nitpicky to some, but this makes a HUGE difference. With room-scale 360 degree experiences you really don't want a cable to get tangled up in, it takes you right out of it.

And no, it wouldn't necessarily have to make the headset a lot more expensive. Quest 2 does great wireless VR over regular WiFi.

Last edited:

onQ123

I use my Quest 2 every week. Just used it a few hours ago and honestly the difference between 90fps and 120fps is not that noticeable at all. I don't see the need for 240fps.

Not about what you see it's about smooth controls so 240fps would feel a lot better if you're moving around in VR but it was just wishful thinking

kyoji

Imagine making an awesome VR headset like this and then blowing it all by not making it wireless. I don't understand how they can stumble on the finish line like that. Wired VR is the past, wireless is the future (and the present, honestly). Had it been wireless my hype for this would have been 10/10, now it's like 6/10. Might seem nitpicky to some, but this makes a HUGE difference. For room-scale 360 degree experiences you really don't want a cable to get tangled up in

And no, it wouldn't necessarily have to make the headset a lot more expensive. Quest 2 does great wireless VR over regular WiFi.
Wireless at the risk of lag… yea no thanks

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
You get a lot of on rails stuff with PSVR on PS4 and probably this due to how most people use their PlayStations: Sitting on the couch in a living room.

Even the standing stuff with PSVR, like Iron Man VR, was extremely limited due to how a cable limits your movement. Unless the figure out a PlayStation version of AirLink for this, it's unlikely we'll see many room scale VR games that give you the holodeck sensation of walking around and interacting with an environment. The headset absolutely can do it with the cameras and tracking, they could set a guardian and everything, the cable is just the obstacle there.
PSVR games were limited because the retrofit PS Move tracking and available inputs sucked and made it essentially front facing 180 degrees VR. On PC where even early VR kits like Rift (after introducing 3 sensor compatibility) & the HTC Vive weren't limited so much, games were never focusing on being on rails or similar beyond trying to avoid motion sickness, cables be damned, and people had no issues with navigating around the cable, as long as their play space was near their PC, even for room scale experimental games like Unseen Diplomacy and Tea for God, never mind games with artificial locomotion. People only started sharing Wii-like horror stories with the stand alone kits rather than with people tripping on cables while playing (and even before that the funny stuff were people falling thanks to shit like that plank experience app or hitting walls, not cables).

They may eventually offer a (probably not cheap to offset keeping the price of the main unit down despite all the tech it packs) wireless/battery kit that will be good for people who don't have play space available where their console is set up (running the cable around a coffee table is a no, heh).

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Wireless at the risk of lag… yea no thanks

The lag over a stable WiFi connection is not noticeably worse than wired. They could have had it as an option, but still made it work over USB for those that for some reason can't get a good wireless connection. Or hell, even a wireless Pro version or whatever.

Last edited:

yurinka

I was hoping for a 240fps option but hey
Where do you play 4K VR games at 240fps? And what games, Pong?

Do you need to set up cameras? thats the reason i did buy the PSVR.
No external camera required. The headset has multiple ones included in the headset itself, 4 to track your position/rotation and the controllers, two more for eyetracking.

Imagine making an awesome VR headset like this and then blowing it all by not making it wireless. I don't understand how they can stumble on the finish line like that. Wired VR is the past, wireless is the future (and the present, honestly). Had it been wireless my hype for this would have been 10/10, now it's like 6/10. Might seem nitpicky to some, but this makes a HUGE difference. With room-scale 360 degree experiences you really don't want a cable to get tangled up in, it takes you right out of it.

How is the experience of streaming PC VR games wiresly to the headset? And how is playing for a couple of hours, which is more or less what the battery lasts?

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Where do you play 4K VR games at 240fps? And what games, Pong?

No external camera required. The headset has multiple ones included in the headset itself. 4 to track your position/rotation and the controllers, two more for eyetracking.
thats cool, wonder how much is the price.

Top Bottom