• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony are creating a brand new studio in Japan, began last year

bitbydeath

Yes, but that's separate from what the leaker says the rumor was.

They say that exes from Capcom, Square Enix and Konami are being brought in to try and make a little supergroup for a core Japanese franchise.

Bokeh, as far as I know, is just the Team Silent group going independent, they're AFAIK not ready to staff up (and also don't have a contract with Sony yet, which would be interesting and weird but not unusual for staff to break away then go back to the parent for their first gig, under new circumstances.)
Was just a theory, I don’t know enough about them to know their current staffing arrangements.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.

I don't know that I've ever seen MORE bacon, to be honest. Sure, you certainly have a point about AAA games aimed at a western audience....but isn't that what every other studio Sony owns is doing? Team Japan, for me, made some of the very best Playstation games, and quite frankly are the reason I love Playstation as much as I do. Yeah, God of War and Uncharted are awesome franchises, but ICO, Puppeteer, Loco Roco, etc. etc, etc...are what truly made Playstation special to me.
God of War = 20 million units sold, Uncharted 4 = Over 17 million units sold

All of those games combined didn't sell as well as either one of these games. From a business standpoint I can see why Sony wanted to reorganize the studio and start this new one

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
Sony should just acquire Namco or SE at this point and call it a day. But they will prob westernize them even more so maybe that’s not a goog idea 😂

Last edited:

Kerotan

will it be called Japan Studio?

hdguj323rkh51.jpg
Studio Japan.

sound stupid. why not just beef up Japan Studio?

that list of games doesn't inspire confidence. yey i can't wait for a sony game like resident evil/metal gear/final fantasy.

Godot25

Banned
Why would Sony close Japan Studio, spun Team Asobi from grave of Japan Studio and then create a new studio?

Only logical explanation is that this new studio is not in Tokyo. Because if it is, wouldn't be easier to make a new branch of Team Asobi/Japan Studio with infrastructure and everything?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
sound stupid. why not just beef up Japan Studio?

Because sometimes its not apparent why a studio is underperforming.

More cynically, when a studio has been around for many years you end up with a lot of long-time employees who are on higher than average salaries. Starting over with a load of new hires is a very good way of cutting payroll.

Hunnybun

What's even the point anymore?

Console gaming has been dead in Japan for years now, and development talent is bound to follow that general trend.

KAL2006

Banned
What's even the point anymore?

Console gaming has been dead in Japan for years now, and development talent is bound to follow that general trend.

It's not about Japan sales, it's about Japanese type games doing great worldwide.

Tekken is still a massive seller.
Resident Evil is still a massive seller
Final Fantasy 7 Remake is still a massive seller
Monster Hunter World was a big seller

Let's not get started with Nintendo games that are made by Japanese devs that sale instance amount worldwide.

Perhaps Sony want Japanese talent that can appeal worldwide. The shit Japan Studio were pushing out were nothing compared to the recent releases from Capcom and Nintendo. They did the right thing gutting the studio and keeping Team Asobi.

Papacheeks

Banned
If it's true why would they want to keep it secret?

Because of contracts from the leads that came from other publishers like Capcom. If they have NDA's or contracts for Non-compete then they have to be quiet until the studio is 100% legally listed, with new contracts on top of legal things that happen with Sony contacting capcom, konami for said talent if they have a existing contract.

Shut0wen

Wuld explain ryan saying sony is still focused on japanese devs but at the same time makes no sense closing down japan studios to then rebuild a new one, japan studios had alot of problems but surely it would of been in the studios best interests to downsize and work its way back up to rebuilding

Porcile

I don't really see Sony poaching from all these devs from these studios. Doesn't seem very in line with J-work culture.

Papacheeks

Banned
Wuld explain ryan saying sony is still focused on japanese devs but at the same time makes no sense closing down japan studios to then rebuild a new one, japan studios had alot of problems but surely it would of been in the studios best interests to downsize and work its way back up to rebuilding

No. Japan's studio location on top of the talent at the time who had executive rights/creative control of studio would have still had some kind of say on what kind of projects or long lasting clause that prevented Sony from 100% making internal changes.

After Producers left who were responsible for some of the games that did not sell like Last Guardian, Gravity Rush they chose to shut that studio down since in that area, building they also had Team Asobi.

Makes no sense to have two studios in the same area where one is active and productive project wise and the other is not.

New studio+New team= new perspective.

I don't really see Sony poaching from all these devs from these studios. Doesn't seem very in line with J-work culture.

Why would it be poaching if the people had already left their studios? There are a lot of old guard that have left Square-Enix, Capcom, Konami, and recently Namco-Bandai. With the games Sony has had that were exclusive through their connections and relationships its only natural to want to work with people who were possibly part or behind said projects they collaborated with in past.

Makes perfect sense.

Last edited:

Woopah

You won't be dramatically successful in Japan unless you have a prolific Director or well known IP and even then it is still very, very challenging. This has been shown to be true over and over and over again especially for Sony throughout basically every generation of PlayStation, especially now that Mobile is the face of gaming in Japan. These are some of the reasons why Japan Studio was gutted.
If they didn't learn this when Monster Hunter was poached by Nintendo practically single-handedly cratering the Vita in the country no matter what kind of software they threw at it they probably never will.
The only thing that will increase market share there is isolating popular Japanese IP to their console and they could have and should have done this decades ago for their own sake but evidently haven't.
Purchasing 2% of FROMs parent company is probably the closest thing in that vein they have done in a long time but even then I don't expect it to amount to anything.
Growing a series or making a decision successful new franchise is tricky but not impossible. With the right talent and direction (and assuming PlayStation's ecosystem in Japan has recovered by then), there's every chance this new IP could succeed.
I don't see how this can be viewed negative or bad. sounds like a win win for everyone, sony is looking to create a big studio on their home turf. some veteran developers from already well known and big established Japanese publishers/developers are being hired or sought after to build said team. Sony wants to create some games with thus studio that appeals to both Japanese and north american audiences. jeez that much salt being withheld over the japan studios incident? Lol
It's the right move for Sony and vey positive. This is the sort of thing they need to do to appeal to the Japanese market.
If they still insist making AAA game with both Japanese & Western appeal, they will not be successful. PS is never short of such games.
Did those California management ever look at MediaCreate chart?
AAA games that appeal to to Eastern and Japanese markets can exist and be successful. I think Sony is right to attempt it.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Guy posting this leak also leaked Sony acquiring Housemarque before it went public, so it could be true.

Leaker claims Sony are building a new AAA game studio in Japan, hiring some devs from Capcom (Resident Evil team specifically), Square Enix, Konami, and more. Claims this began last year. Says they are trying to make a big new IP with both Japanese & Western appeal, comparable to how Resident Evil, Metal Gear, Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy, Monster Hunter, etc, are all distinctly Japanese IP that also sell well outside of Japan.

Who knows if its true, but sounds like a good idea. A new Japanese studio making core AAA games would be a good add to PlayStation Studios.

grain of salt
The Last Of Us Playstation GIF by Naughty Dog

More AAA is always good to me.

Christmas Cant Get Enough GIF by DrSquatchSoapCo

Bryank75

Banned
I hope this is true. Japan Studio didn't do well ever since Ueda left in 2011 and it apparantly was horribly mismanaged. It kinda makes sense to get rid of it and start fresh with a new studio.

It also makes sense to get rid of Bend and Media Molecule. Nixxes was also needless. (Not saying they should close though)

If we were being totally ruthless here.... many studios would go and be replaced.

1st party should be all killer and no filler.....

Right now, I only consider Insomniac, Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, Santa Monica and Polyphony to be making the best 1st party games. Maybe Guerrilla too but Horizon is on PC and needs huge improvements.

San Diego is a multiplatform developer now.

They need to really buy some decent developers like From (Kadokawa), Arc System Works, IOI, Remedy, Asobi, Bungie, Kojima or someone on that level.

It's way past due to expand 1st party. There should be at least 10-15 developers making games on the level of Insomniac and SP IMO.
These 2 developers have the right balance of gameplay, fun and good storytelling. Insomniac being the more productive.

sublimit

Banned
It also makes sense to get rid of Bend and Media Molecule. Nixxes was also needless. (Not saying they should close though)

If we were being totally ruthless here.... many studios would go and be replaced.

1st party should be all killer and no filler.....

Right now, I only consider Insomniac, Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, Santa Monica and Polyphony to be making the best 1st party games. Maybe Guerrilla too but Horizon is on PC and needs huge improvements.

San Diego is a multiplatform developer now.

They need to really buy some decent developers like From (Kadokawa), Arc System Works, IOI, Remedy, Asobi, Bungie, Kojima or someone on that level.

It's way past due to expand 1st party. There should be at least 10-15 developers making games on the level of Insomniac and SP IMO.
These 2 developers have the right balance of gameplay, fun and good storytelling. Insomniac being the more productive.
Regardless of our personal tastes neither Bend or MM are "filler".

Bend has a long history and tons of experience as a studio especially working inside Sony's WWS infrastructure. MM (along with Asobi) is the most Nintendo-like studio within Sony and offers a very valuable software variety. Nixxes were a very clever purchase and they are going to help a lot with high quality ports as well as offering technical help to other WWS.

From my view they should have tried their best to keep Ueda and Toyama within Sony and give them their own 2 studios separate from Japan Studio. Something like Polyphony Digital.
And they also should have never closed down Evolution Studios. These were their biggest mistakes in terms of talent and studio management IMO.

Bryank75

Banned
Regardless of our personal tastes neither Bend or MM are "filler".

Bend has a long history and tons of experience as a studio especially working inside Sony's WWS infrastructure. MM (along with Asobi) is the most Nintendo-like studio within Sony and offers a very valuable software variety. Nixxes were a very clever purchase and they are going to help a lot with high quality ports as well as offering technical help to other WWS.

From my view they should have tried their best to keep Ueda and Toyama within Sony and give them their own 2 studios separate from Japan Studio. Something like Polyphony Digital.
And they also should have never closed down Evolution Studios. These were their biggest mistakes in terms of talent and studio management IMO.

Well I agree Asobi and MM have nintendo like qualities.

However Nixxes should never have been bought, PC ports are an abomination to me and are a slap in the face to any real PlayStation fan / customer.
It absolutely enrages me.

There needs to be an injection of talent into Bend if it is to hit the quality bar and if MIB is the real IP they have decided to take on, then I think they need different creative direction.

I agree they should have more Japanese studios... but maybe having everyone under one banner (Japan Studio) was just too informal and didn't get results. Ueda should have been kept and been encouraged to make a spiritual successor to SOTC.... something with similar mechanics, he is a great storyteller.

In any case, they need new studios to add to the mix.

sublimit

Banned
However Nixxes should never have been bought, PC ports are an abomination to me and are a slap in the face to any real PlayStation fan / customer.

I don't understand that. Why would you have a problem if an old Sony exclusive would come to PC? That would mean more money into Sony's pockets and that would help them greenlight other new projects something that would benefit all playstation fans. Sony is taking the quality of their games very seriously and that includes PC ports. They want the ports to be of the highest quality possible otherwise they would give a bad name to both Sony's studios (people will relate the games to the original developers and not to the studio that is making the port) as well as the games themselves. And Nixxes are the best when it comes to that.

Shmunter

Well I agree Asobi and MM have nintendo like qualities.

There needs to be an injection of talent into Bend if it is to hit the quality bar and if MIB is the real IP they have decided to take on, then I think they need different creative direction.

I agree they should have more Japanese studios... but maybe having everyone under one banner (Japan Studio) was just too informal and didn't get results. Ueda should have been kept and been encouraged to make a spiritual successor to SOTC.... something with similar mechanics, he is a great storyteller.

In any case, they need new studios to add to the mix.
With some luck Nixxes is also used for PS4 ports allowing creatives to solely focus on PS5 and its strengths.

Nixxes can water down the pc/PS4 as needed. Proper ports instead of cross gen development.

Bryank75

Banned
I don't understand that. Why would you have a problem if an old Sony exclusive would come to PC? That would mean more money into Sony's pockets and that would help them greenlight other new projects something that would benefit all playstation fans. Sony is taking the quality of their games very seriously and that includes PC ports. They want the ports to be of the highest quality possible otherwise they would give a bad name to both Sony's studios (people will relate the games to the original developers and not to the studio that is making the port) as well as the games themselves. And Nixxes are the best when it comes to that.

PC is a distraction from their main business.... mobile, film, PC and cloud are all distractions from what they should be concerned with.

All the time and money that goes into Nixxes could have been put into a real game making studio.

There are loads of games stuck on PS3 and previous generations that need to be ported or upgraded for PS5 and it is insulting that they are porting to PC before that.

These games were marketed as exclusives, full exclusives and now they are going back on that. Something that Nintendo never do... and frankly it makes Sony liars in my eyes.

They are already making more money by making games cross-generationa, adding a 10 euro tax to PS5 players and cutting costs by shutting down studios like Japan.

I see no benefit to them porting to PC, the money does not seem to be reinvested in the company to any exciting extent.... where are the big acquisitions? There are none.... we are paying more and getting so much less.

Exclusives are a hallmark of strong competition and by putting exclusives on PC, it is pretty much admitting that compeition in the industry has failed.

Outrunner Outrunner You should read above before you post a one word insult... which in itself is pathetic, ironically.

I find it extremely boring and negative for the industry for every platform to have all the same games.... can anything have a personality anymore? Does everything have to be the exact same? Are we eliminating any real choice for a consumer?

I mean next will be the big push to eliminate walled gardens I bet.... so you just have no unified, protected ecosystem....

Why not go and attack Nintendo for their exclusives.

And the real problem here is that PC gamers are unsatisfied and not serviced properly by Valve / Steam or Epic.... they are not producing good enough unique content to satisfy these people who chose to game on PC. In short these people deep down feel PC was a bad choice but cannot bring themselves to buy a console.

Last edited:
Top Bottom