• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony becomes Japan's second largest company by market cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

zedinen

Sony's stock price has nearly tripled since Jim Ryan became CEO of SIE in Feb 12, 2019

KI1ucEU.jpeg

eHg4IQx.jpeg

Biggest companies by market capitalization

Toyota Motor Corporation ¥33.45T

Sony Group Corporation ¥17.47T

Keyence Corporation ¥16.99T

Electronics companies: Only Sony has the PlayStation

Sony ¥17.47T

Tokyo Electron 8.66T

Hitachi ¥6.58T

Fujifilm ¥4.60T

Fujitsu ¥4.13T

Canon ¥3.44T

Panasonic ¥3.39T

Olympus ¥3.32T

Mitsubishi Electric ¥3.28T

Kyocera ¥2.56T

Toshiba ¥2.18T

TDK ¥1.60T

NEC ¥1.55T

Sharp ¥828.58B

Video game companies

Sony ¥17.47T

Nintendo ¥6.57T

Bandai Namco ¥2.01T

Konami ¥927.01B

Koei Tecmo ¥905.78B

Capcom ¥834.35B

Square Enix ¥789.10B

Sega Sammy ¥453.39B

Kadokawa ¥413.30B

SNK ¥400.17B

Marvelous ¥46.54B

Nihon Falcom ¥14.15B

Sony's strategy depends on PlayStation's ability to deliver record results with a modest investment

Being CEO of SIE is the toughest job in the industry.

Return on invested capital by segment (FY21 FCT)

1.G&NS 43.2%
2.EP&S 20.4%
3. Music 11.1%
4. I&SS 9.4%
5. Pictures 6.8%

Free Cash Flow (FY20)

1.G&NS ¥367.9 bn
Sony w/o G&NS ¥240.1 bn

Invested capital by segment (FY20)

1. Music ¥882.5 bn
2. I&SS 879.7 bn
3. Pictures ¥769.5 bn
4. G&NS ¥489.6 bn
5. EP&S ¥399.8 bn

Sony: Largest M&A

Sony to Acquire Full Control of Financial Unit for $3.7 Billion (2020)

Sony buys EMI Music Publishing for $2.3bn (2018)

Sony Pictures India agrees to invest $1.6bn in merger with Zee Entertainment (2021)

Sony’s Funimation Completes Acquisition of Crunchyroll for $1.175 billion (2021)

SIE: Largest M&A

Insomniac Games for $229 million (2019)

Microsoft (Xbox): Largest M&A

ZeniMax for $8.1 billion (2020)

Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC: Directors in Charge and Member of the Board

Jim Ryan (Sony Group: Senior Executive Vice President; SIE LLC: President and CEO)

Kenichiro Yoshida (Sony Group: #1 Board of directors; Sony Group: Chairman, President, CEO and Representative Corporate Executive Officer)

Hiroki Totoki (Sony Group: #2 Board of directors; Sony Group: Executive Deputy President, CFO and Representative Corporate Executive Officer)

tmlDan

Coming from the PS3 era where because of tthe PS, mobile and TV unit Sony were bleeding money out of every orifice to this has to be one of the most impressive business turnarounds in gaming history.
Not just gaming history, the history of business, most companies require bailouts in order to recover. Sony just righted the ship - it's hella impressive.

Good examples of bailouts would be BoA during the 2008 crash, Air Canada, GM in Canada, MS bailing out Apple and look at them now

I don't think Sony has ever gotten financial assistance from the govt or elsewhere when they were seemingly crumbling.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The son of a bitches clearly have a clue or two about things.

It's kind of hard to believe seeing as Nintendo dominates Japan but then you remember that they're more than just a gaming company even if it's a pillar for them.

jm89

Coming from the PS3 era where because of tthe PS, mobile and TV unit Sony were bleeding money out of every orifice to this has to be one of the most impressive business turnarounds in gaming history.
Those where some crazy times billions lost, insane how kaz and co turned it around.

Remember when people where predicting playstation to go under last gen with Xbox going for the kill, then it ended up being the exact opposite.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Those where some crazy times billions lost, insane how kaz and co turned it around.

Remember when people where predicting playstation to go under last gen with Xbox going for the kill, then it ended up being the exact opposite.
Yup. They gassed some product lines for money and did a very unlike-Japanese thing and gassed like 10,000+ workers. Something which reading it is not the type of thing Japanese companies do. But doing that lead to a bunch of cash inflow coming in (sale of product lines) and reduced costs from people (also a cash inflow in a way).

It totally turned Sony around.

Last edited:
The son of a bitches clearly have a clue or two about things.

It's kind of hard to believe seeing as Nintendo dominates Japan but then you remember that they're more than just a gaming company even if it's a pillar for them.
And Japan is just a fraction of both of their business.

jm89

Konami is capped at 927 billion yen? Would/could Sony just buy them out? I need Metal Gear and Silent Hill back. I hate seeing those great IPs sitting out!
They could, but then they will have to find away to fit konamis slot machines/pachinko machines business and whatever else into Sony. Not sure if they see it worth taking all that on for a few ips.

Ideally Sony jusy buy the ips, but konami I imagine will let hell freeze before they let go of their best ips.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Wait where was Sony before this?

Other than Toyota the only big Japanese company I can even think of is Sony.
Were they not second all this time?

P.S That Keyence share price is ridiculous.

The company is still massively under-valued. One of the reasons, imo, is that they have not capitalized on the potentially massive synergies their different divisions could create. Imagine having animes, TV Shows, movies, music, games...under your belt, without exploiting the possibilities at hand. I believe that things are about to change; that Sony is, at least, interested in creating bridges and fostering cooperation between divisions...but Sony has proven times and times again that it was slow, reactionary and less daring than it ought to have been.

Last edited:
They could, but then they will have to find away to fit konamis slot machines/pachinko machines business and whatever else into Sony. Not sure if they see it worth taking all that on for a few ips.

Ideally Sony jusy buy the ips, but konami I imagine will let hell freeze before they let go of their best ips.
They could just sell off or licence the slot machine/pachinko shit to other japanese amusement companies, right? Just buy Konami, dismantle it for return of capital, and keep the IPs.

Last edited:
Return on invested capital by segment (FY21 FCT)

1.G&NS 43.2%
2.EP&S 20.4%
3. Music 11.1%
4. I&SS 9.4%
5. Pictures 6.8%

Free Cash Flow (FY20)

1.G&NS ¥367.9 bn
Sony w/o G&NS ¥240.1 bn

Invested capital by segment (FY20)

1. Music ¥882.5 bn
2. I&SS 879.7 bn
3. Pictures ¥769.5 bn
4. G&NS ¥489.6 bn
5. EP&S ¥399.8 bn

This really summarizes what I've been saying for years now. Divest Sony Pictures and double/triple down on Games and Network services.

Been quite how much money the seem to have hidden under the mattress over the past couple of years, it's no wonder they've set aside so much for acquisitions. Smart acquisitions are a much better way to excite investors in comparison to just having it hidden away. I know people always seem to think it's always about games but they are actually a pretty hefty media publisher in music, films and games and it really seems that they're finally managing to use the different areas after what seems like decades of them stating that are going to do it.
I think Apple would be a healthy partner for them, I know Apple Music has just been released and Home Kit seems to be what could be on the way next and Apple are certainly hoping to make bigger into moves music, films and games so there really could be benefits to both companies there.
I'm just going to be clear about this because I know that some will choose to take it the wrong way but I AM IN NO WAY SUGGESTING ANYTHING TO DO WITH AN ACQUISITION IN RELATION TO EITHER COMPANY. NOT WHAT I'M SAYING, NOT SUGGESTING IT IN ANY SHAPE OR FORM! :messenger_winking:

This is almost a miracle when you think this company was selling some of their own buildings a few years ago.

Incredible result and recovery for Sony for sure.

jm89

They could just sell off or licence the slot machine/pachinko shit to other japanese amusement companies, right? Just buy Konami, dismantle it for return of capital, and keep the IPs.
I guess so but i imagine it would be a massive ballache just for a few ips. Not sure how the japanese regulators would see that if they tried to plan on that from the outset.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

It's amazing how far Sony has come since 2010-2013, when it was all on fire. They sold everything that wasn't nailed down. Has there ever been a more important console to a company, than the PS4. Microsoft was so close to putting them down, they dropped the ball towards the end of the 360, then totally dropped the ball on the One. Credit where credit is due, Sony was able to turn it around. Extremely healthy.

If Sony keeps this up, I hope their hubris allows for a new hand held experience of more VR experiments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom