• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Bend working on a new IP open world game

elliot5

Hermen Hulst Q&A: What’s Next for PlayStation Studios – PlayStation.Blog

PSB: How important is new IP for PlayStation Studios?

Hermen: New IP is incredibly important to us. New IP is the lifeblood of gaming. But, new IP is just one aspect of our strategy. Ultimately, I want PlayStation Studios to be fiercely daring, to take risks. I want us to continue to embrace the legacy of PlayStation, pushing the boundaries of gaming, keep making games that matter. Games that, probably, wouldn’t have been made anywhere else.

And you know, Bend Studio is working on a very exciting new IP that they’re very, very passionate about. They’re building on the deep open-world systems that they developed with Days Gone. So I’m really happy for Bend Studio.

No Days Gone 2 confirmed. It's almost like Jason Schreier is usually right in his reporting, despite how you may feel about him :pie_thinking:

Last edited:

JoeBudden

As much as I liked Days Gone and hate how the series ends like this with the cliffhanger, this is the best move for Bend. Sony already has a much more successful zombie-themed game, and a Days Gone 2 would've just been stuck in TLOU shadow.

Just give me Days Gone again but with dinosaurs instead of freakers/zombies, and a much more focused story and I'm good.

Last edited:

elliot5

As much as I liked Days Gone and hate how the series ends like this with the cliffhanger, this is the best move for Bend. Sony already has a much more successful zombie-themed game, and a Days Gone 2 would've just been stuck in TLOU shadow.

Just give me Days Gone again but with dinosaurs instead of freakers/zombies, and a much more focused story and I'm good.
sounds like horizon :p

dcmk7

Banned
lol no mention of how they forced them to slave away on tlou2 for a year then wasted another year developing an uncharted IP that went nowhere.

they are literally two years behind and only just now beginning work on their new IP. This game is like five years away.
There is a thing called pre-production which can be just a handful of staff, you know.

Just because there is no Dev work to be doing, doesnt mean that they are stood still.

JoeBudden

sounds like horizon :p

Lol that's true, but we got too many zombie-themed games and not enough dinosaur games.

Shit, imagine an open world game with the survival/scavenging elements of Days Gone where you're stuck on an island like Jurassic Park 2 and you're tryna escape. That shit would be flames.

HYDE

Banned
No thanks…not a single game has interested me from this studio.
Give Sucker Punch more money!

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
There is a thing called pre-production which can be just a handful of staff, you know.

Just because there is no Dev work to be doing, doesnt mean that they are stood still.
their pre-production team first did a pitch on Days Gone 2 while the main team worked on tlou2.

that got canned. then they started doing pre-production pitches on Uncharted which ND kept rejecting.

this went on for two years. the new IP is also in an early pre-production stage because Jason reported they just stopped working on uncharted a few weeks ago.

fart town usa

Gold Member

I think it's mind boggling that Sony even green-lit Days Gone with its gameplay setting. Might as well exist in TLOU universe.

Days Gone just comes off as an also-ran. "Hey! Look over here, I'm a post-apocalyptic-open-world-zombie-type game too! I'm really gritty and serious, I ride a motorcycle and have a beard!!"

JoeBudden

I think it's mind boggling that Sony even green-lit Days Gone with its gameplay setting. Might as well exist in TLOU universe.

Days Gone just comes off as an also-ran. "Hey! Look over here, I'm a post-apocalyptic-open-world-zombie-type game too! I'm really gritty and serious, I ride a motorcycle and have a beard!!"

Yeah it really makes no sense releasing two AAA zombie themed series on a platform. They also sent it out to die considering the shape it was in when it launched.

I don't wanna spoil but Days Gone is already tied to another universe and it would've been cool if they explored that connection more. It would've allowed Days Gone to distinguish itself more from other zombie-themed games.

Great Hair

Banned
New IP
Open World
Shitty Bike Handling
Bend Studios

Kick Ass GIF by memecandy
kick in nuts GIF

GuinGuin

Banned
Sounds great to me. The guy who wrote the questionable script for Days Gone left so I think they will finally have a real hit in their hands. Probably a true showpiece for Unreal 5.

iorek21

Well, it doesn't really mean that Days Gone 2 is... gone for good. They might begin production on it after finishing this new project.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
lol no mention of how they forced them to slave away on tlou2 for a year then wasted another year developing an uncharted IP that went nowhere.

they are literally two years behind and only just now beginning work on their new IP. This game is like five years away.
You'll eat crow when the game launches 4 years and 11 months from now. ( ͡ ͡° ͜つ ͡͡° )

kyussman

Well,I enjoyed Days Gone a lot and it's a shame that story won't continue but not the end of the world....just happy they are stiil in business and developing another game tbh...when a game doesn't set the world on fire these days you never know if the studio will survive for long after....I'm also a big fan of new IP so that's always exciting.

bender

What time is it?
The world needs more also ran open world games. Good thing Bend is here to pick up the mantle.

FluffShake

You don't need a Days Gone 2. Anyone who's beaten the first game knows that it's actually two games in one cause the thing just doesn't fucking end.

pratyush

Maybe they can come back to Days Gone after this. This way they can expand also as they are quite small studio right now.

Kokoloko85

Good. Not every game needs a sequel.

We already have Horizon 2, God of War 2, Ghost of Tsushima 2 and Spiderman 2. Days Gone was nowhere near as popular as these, some of the studios need to make new IP

Last edited:
It's almost like Jason Schreier is usually right in his reporting, despite how you may feel about him

I think the issue was the environment that Jason was trying to convey. While some employees might find it horrible to work in Sony Bend not everyone feels that way. That was my main issue with Jason's article. Not that Days Gone 2 was shelved BTW.

With that said they were given another chance to a risk with a new IP. I'm curious to see what it is.

assurdum

Banned
their pre-production team first did a pitch on Days Gone 2 while the main team worked on tlou2.

that got canned. then they started doing pre-production pitches on Uncharted which ND kept rejecting.

this went on for two years. the new IP is also in an early pre-production stage because Jason reported they just stopped working on uncharted a few weeks ago.
Wut? Where the hell you got those informations?

Last edited:
Top Bottom