• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony CEO dismisses price cut chatter on PlayStation

JoJo13 said:
I wasn't asking that at all, because I frankly don't care what you think of me.

You seem pretty angry that some people like the PSPgo.

It's okay. The PSPgo is just another PSP SKU. Just because it's not for you doesn't mean everyone that thinks otherwise is on the 'wrong side of the line'.
You are correct, the PSP Go is not for me, just like answering "5" to "What is 2 + 2?" is not for me. I recognize that most people are pretty fucking dumb, but you know, I don't have to like that.

Also I applaud you at your keen insight into my character. I'm sure no one has ever noticed I'm an angry guy before.

HK-47 said:
Yay, its Segata with the moral high ground and logic!
Don't enjoy it too much, HK, this is just a drive-by. I'm still pretty much done with this joint. I'm afraid I'll catch the syphilis that has eaten out the pre-frontal cortexes of the majority here.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Segata Sanshiro said:
There's a "complete fucking moron/disgusting corporate shill" vs. "rational human being" line being drawn in the sand with the PSP Go and I'm disappointed but not even a little bit surprised to see how many people are on the wrong fucking side of the line.
the people need you

duk

Banned
let's see of course he'd say this, what did u think he'd say?

yes there will be a price drop? like that will make ppl buy ps3 until slim comes out lol

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Segata Sanshiro said:
Don't enjoy it too much, HK, this is just a drive-by. I'm still pretty much done with this joint. I'm afraid I'll catch the syphilis that has eaten out the pre-frontal cortexes of the majority here.

Oh no. Well thats a downer.

=(

Zhuk

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
There's a "complete fucking moron/disgusting corporate shill" vs. "rational human being" line being drawn in the sand with the PSP Go and I'm disappointed but not even a little bit surprised to see how many people are on the wrong fucking side of the line.

I am amazed at how far people will go to defend Sony's choices with PSP Go!, from all my discussions on the subject the opposition fails to understand that people's objections with the device are completely valid and are based around the value prospect of the device, which is cheaper to produce than the 3000 yet costs significantly more.

People don't like being ripped off, and this is exactly what Sony is doing with the Go!.

If Nintendo made a sliding DS with smaller screens, 16gb of internal memory and with no ability to play physical media and charged an extra $80 for it I am pretty sure that everyone would agree that that it is terrible value for money.

Chumly

Man if you get caught in a drive by from Segata Sanshiro when hes in retirement you know your doing something wrong.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Zhuk said:
If Nintendo made a sliding DS with smaller screens, 16gb of internal memory and with no ability to play physical media and charged an extra $80 for it I am pretty sure that everyone would agree that that it is terrible value for money.

You have far too much faith in gamers.

Tobor

Segata Sanshiro said:
You are correct, the PSP Go is not for me, just like answering "5" to "What is 2 + 2?" is not for me. I recognize that most people are pretty fucking dumb, but you know, I don't have to like that.

Also I applaud you at your keen insight into my character. I'm sure no one has ever noticed I'm an angry guy before.

Oh, get over yourself.

Back to the discussion, I'm still waiting for charlequin to rip apart my Macbook/Macbook Air comparison. Don't tease me, friend.

Zhuk said:

Ooh, Would all DS games be available on DSiWare day 1? If so, I would be all over this.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I am amazed at how far people will go to defend Sony's choices with PSP Go!,

i'm amazed at the people who are "Well, i've not really been using my PSP because there are no great games, but the PSP Go! is for me and look at the future line up!"

I dunno, if you can't find good games on the PSP -now- then the PSP Go! is NOT FOR YOU.

Zhuk said:
The hardcore Nintendo guys would be making the same arguments the PSP Go supporters are, and the Sony guys would join Team Sane in making fun of them.

This is the essential problem of trying to have any reasonable discourse with a sufficiently large group of people. One sane man can drown out five insane men if he tries hard enough, but it's virtually impossible to drown out a thousand lunatics, and it's hard to try to team up with anyone because you never know when your sane buddy is going to turn out to be insane if the circumstances change.

It's really like a big ol' zombie meltdown, and I don't have nearly enough shells to finish you all.

Tobor said:
Oh, get over yourself.

Back to the discussion, I'm still waiting for charlequin to rip apart my Macbook/Macbook Air comparison. Don't tease me, friend.
Apple fans are a unique breed that will buy anything no matter how many features it lacks. If the next Macbook lacked copy and paste and forced you to buy it for $10, they would. There is no equivalent for them in the world.

Ooh, Would all DS games be available on DSiWare day 1? If so, I would be all over this.
...like I said, no equivalent, but there's some damn near similar groups.

Jonnyram

JoJo13 said:
For whatever the true reason may be (retailer incentives, more margin on a low volume money maker for Sony, or a combination of both), the price is what it is.
That is a pretty lax attitude for a consumer, don't you think?
Why would you not care why the machine is too expensive?

If Sony needs to pacify retailers because every software purchase will be made through them and not retailers, why is it OK for Sony to pass that burden on to the consumer? Are you fucking stupid?

Surely the very point that ALL SOFTWARE PURCHASES WILL BE MADE THROUGH SONY is more than enough for Sony to not have to rip off the consumer. It's not as if they will be charging sub-retail prices, even though they no longer have to deal with any of the retail bullshit.

DCharlie

This is the essential problem of trying to have any reasonable discourse with a sufficiently large group of people. One sane man can drown out five insane men if he tries hard enough, but it's virtually impossible to drown out a thousand lunatics, and it's hard to try to team up with anyone because you never know when your sane buddy is going to turn out to be insane if the circumstances change.

awww - my plan has been foiled :/

Tobor

Segata Sanshiro said:
The hardcore Nintendo guys would be making the same arguments the PSP Go supporters are, and the Sony guys would join Team Sane in making fun of them.

It's really like a big ol' zombie meltdown, and I don't have nearly enough shells to finish you all.

Weep, for we are the future, and there is no hope for your shelves and cabinets filled with games.

Tobor said:
Weep, for we are the future, and there is no hope for your shelves and cabinets filled with games.
Yep, you and the Michael Bay fans can have a big ol' BBQ together while I'm still smacking myself for continuing to overestimate humanity.

Tobor

Segata Sanshiro said:
Yep, you and the Michael Bay fans can have a big ol' BBQ together while I'm still smacking myself for continuing to overestimate humanity.

My hatred for Michael Bay is at odds with my desire to have all my games digitally distributed. Error...

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Tobor said:

Instead of Gamestop ripping me off, I wont even be able to resell my game. Even less choice is awesome.

OnPoint

Segata Sanshiro said:

You just became my hero in this thread, and I'm saddened to hear this is meerly a drive-by. Tears shall form in the corners of my eyes as I watch your taillights fade from view.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
WhiteAce said:
Granted we have yet to see the fruits of the talk yet, but they need someone NON-JAPANESE to cut through the interdepartment strife.

I still have to see that happening...

the BIGGEST thing he brought to sony, was not allowing Kutaragi to gamble the company down the shitter with any insane price cuts.

As far as i'm concerned - he's already saved Sony once. I'm serious - if Kutaragi was at the levers during this time i think Sony would be in dire dire trouble right now. As it is, they are simply just hurting badly.

Yeah... introducing PSOne and PS2, pushing Sony to finally become aggressive on LCD TV technology (Sony's joint-venture with Samsung for LCD panels development and the strong push for LCD technology and OLED tech. came during the Kutaragi years [and Sony Electronics massively benefited from that choice which had been delayed far too long]) after strong resistance from leaving the CRT TV sector and move into the present, consolidating Sony corp's various semiconductor units, offloading the SCE fabs to Toshiba, managing the nVIDIA deal after... after another thing fell through, etc...

You really think that pushing Blu-Ray into PS3 was just his decision and his decision alone? Of course if the company has troubles he catches heat for it and the problems of blu-violet laser diodes (whose scarcity massively increased PS3 costs at launch) do hurt everyone who was at the helm during that time... but he is not at Sony anymore... is Sony that much better off? If you say so...

DCharlie

Yeah... introducing PSOne and PS2, pushing Sony to finally become aggressive on LCD TV technology (Sony's joint-venture with Samsung for LCD panels development and the strong push for LCD technology and OLED tech. came during the Kutaragi years [and Sony Electronics massively benefited from that choice which had been delayed far too long]) after strong resistance from leaving the CRT TV sector and move into the present, consolidating Sony corp's various semiconductor units, offloading the SCE fabs to Toshiba, managing the nVIDIA deal after... after another thing fell through, etc...

You really think that pushing Blu-Ray into PS3 was just his decision and his decision alone? Of course if the company has troubles he catches heat for it and the problems of blu-violet laser diodes (whose scarcity massively increased PS3 costs at launch) do hurt everyone who was at the helm during that time... but he is not at Sony anymore... is Sony that much better off? If you say so...

the problem here is that Kutaragi is an amazing technician but an awful businessman - and from all reports - had very little respect for any other department/senior manager at the firm.

The problem also seemed to be that the PS3 had become this runaway juggernaut that he was heading up. Did he make all the decissions? Probably not, but he certainly seemed to be carrying a lot of influence and he managed to pursuade the company to create a very costly machine (which he then price slashed pre-launch without consulting anyone! nice!)

So whilst technically he's no doubt a pioneer, i'm 100% certain left unfettered he'd have bet the farm on PS3 - and i think it would have been the firms undoing.

Also note - from day 1 , stringer said "Kutaragi's PS3 is facing problems" "Kutaragi's PS3 is this..." "Kutaragi has to address this..."

He made it pretty clear who he felt "owned" the PS3 project and the writting was on the wall for KK the second Stringer joined.

And also - Playstation - XX years of dominance - and not profitable as a venture. The Sony model (and MS model) only works if you dominate and a $600 price tag machine was suicidal.
managing the nVIDIA deal after... after another thing fell through, etc...

and again, this was spun into some "oh 2 years in the offing!" deal and not something like a late panic move! ;)

is Sony that much better off? If you say so

I fail to see what Kutaragi would have added if he'd stayed around. With Stringer in the frame he was never going to last. Without Stringer? he'd have slashed the PS3 price and bet the company on PS3 "winning". So yes - IMO? MUCH better off without Kutaragi.

DrXym

Zhuk said:

More likely it would be welcomed as if it were the second coming. Apple and Nintendo products live inside a reality distortion field.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
WhiteAce said:
the problem here is that Kutaragi is an amazing technician but an awful businessman - and from all reports - had very little respect for any other department/senior manager at the firm.

...and from the way Sony corp. had been handling itself (and in many things it is still handling itself... en example: a content company like Sony that spends tons of money publishing and PRODUCING music and video content has been beaten worldwide [in Europe it is an embarrassment] as far as online content delivery [PSN video store vs Xbox LIVE video store and iTunes] by two software companies...) ... he was right not to have enormous respect for senior management... without the BIG push into LCD tech for example, Sony Electronics would have been in a really bad shape fairly quickly...

The problem also seemed to be that the PS3 had become this runaway juggernaut that he was heading up. Did he make all the decissions? Probably not, but he certainly seemed to be carrying a lot of influence and he managed to pursuade the company to create a very costly machine (which he then price slashed pre-launch without consulting anyone! nice!)

Whether he had all the faults for PS3's story or not he was the man in charge (supposed to be at least) so he got axed for it... end of story...

So whilst technically he's no doubt a pioneer, i'm 100% certain left unfettered he'd have bet the farm on PS3 - and i think it would have been the firms undoing.

I do not think he would have done something as reckless as that... while some people, myself included, still believed in the big push by Sony into very high-end semiconductors manufacturing... Kutaragi was already transitioning to a more fabless-like model (as far as high performance computing offerings are concerned... CELL, RSX, PSP SoC, etc... hence the fabs being sold to Toshiba and the abandonment of the semiconductor manufacturing arms race by Sony). He was not as reckless as some might say IMHO.

I fail to see what Kutaragi would have added if he'd stayed around. With Stringer in the frame he was never going to last. Without Stringer? he'd have slashed the PS3 price and bet the company on PS3 "winning". So yes - IMO? MUCH better off without Kutaragi.

So, we will have to agree to disagree on this one. Personally I have yet to see the benefits of Stringer's push and I think a lot of the good results he has achieved depend on decisions made during the Kutaragi era...

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
and again, this was spun into some "oh 2 years in the offing!" deal and not something like a late panic move! ;)

What did you want them to say ;)?

Maybe nVIDIA had been begging for 2+ years to provide the GPU for PS3.

pswii60

Panajev2001a said:
What did you want them to say ;)?

Maybe nVIDIA had been begging for 2+ years to provide the GPU for PS3.
Do we know if SCE owns the entire rights to the RSX like MS does with Xenos?

Or is it like the original Xbox, where MS had to pay Nvidia for every GPU in every console, leading to massive losses?

JoJo13

Banned
WhiteAce said:
i'm amazed at the people who are "Well, i've not really been using my PSP because there are no great games, but the PSP Go! is for me and look at the future line up!"

I dunno, if you can't find good games on the PSP -now- then the PSP Go! is NOT FOR YOU.

The PSP has some good games, but by and large it's not all that great. I haven't played a single PSP game since God of War, and before God of War I hadn't even played anything post-launch.

But this fall they're coming out with a lot of stuff that interests me (LittleBigPlanet, Gran Turismo, MotorStorm), and in the future we will be getting Resident Evil and a proper Metal Gear Solid. As I've said before, the upcoming lineup is better (imo) than what the PSP has accumulated for the past, what, 4 years since launch.

Jonnyram said:
That is a pretty lax attitude for a consumer, don't you think?
Why would you not care why the machine is too expensive?

If Sony needs to pacify retailers because every software purchase will be made through them and not retailers, why is it OK for Sony to pass that burden on to the consumer? Are you fucking stupid?

Surely the very point that ALL SOFTWARE PURCHASES WILL BE MADE THROUGH SONY is more than enough for Sony to not have to rip off the consumer. It's not as if they will be charging sub-retail prices, even though they no longer have to deal with any of the retail bullshit.

Yeah, it is pretty lax I suppose. But, I guess I don't find $250 to be all that expensive or much of a deterrence.

I also paid $250 for a gamecube with a different controller, which is a pretty gigantic rip off, but whatever.

JoJo13 said:
The PSP has some good games, but by and large it's not all that great. I haven't played a single PSP game since God of War, and before God of War I hadn't even played anything post-launch.

But this fall they're coming out with a lot of stuff that interests me (LittleBigPlanet, Gran Turismo, MotorStorm), and in the future we will be getting Resident Evil and a proper Metal Gear Solid. As I've said before, the upcoming lineup is better (imo) than what the PSP has accumulated for the past, what, 4 years since launch.

It amazes me that people could be more excited for scaled down versions of console games than anything that's specifically conceived and designed for the portable format. There have been plenty of great PSP games over the past four years. This screams ignorance (and/or bad taste).

Yeah, it is pretty lax I suppose. But, I guess I don't find $250 to be all that expensive or much of a deterrence.

I also paid $250 for a gamecube with a different controller, which is a pretty gigantic rip off, but whatever.

That's a ridiculous comparison.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
pswii60 said:
Do we know if SCE owns the entire rights to the RSX like MS does with Xenos?

Or is it like the original Xbox, where MS had to pay Nvidia for every GPU in every console, leading to massive losses?

AFAIK, SCE owns the IP rights to RSX like MS does with Xenos...

JoJo13

Banned
dammitmattt said:
It amazes me that people could be more excited for scaled down versions of console games than anything that's specifically conceived and designed for the portable format. There have been plenty of great PSP games over the past four years. This screams ignorance (and/or bad taste).

MotorStorm and LittleBigPlanet would lend themselves nicely to portable play. And given that they're one of my favorite arcade racers and platformers (respectively), I am looking forward to them a lot more than what we currently have on the PSP.

I'm also a fan of smaller games, and I'll be getting the likes of PixelJunk Monsters, etc. on the device too.

Metal Gear Peace Walker is the exception, but I'm more excited about that because it's the next Metal Gear game and it's set after MGS3. Would definitely prefer it on the PS3, but still it's going to be a great game.

That's a ridiculous comparison.

Not really.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
As a person who hasn't used a PSP much since it's launch many years ago I can't wait to buy a PSP Go

two or three years from now at half the price, hoping that the store lingers on long enough or it is hacked to use the .isos I already generated from my few retail PSP games.

As for the PSThree, I see it launching at the current PS3 price, with maybe a slight price cut on the older models of around $25. Time to fatten your wallets, Sony!

lupinko

Man God said:
As a person who hasn't used a PSP much since it's launch many years ago I can't wait to buy a PSP Go

two or three years from now at half the price, hoping that the store lingers on long enough or it is hacked to use the .isos I already generated from my few retail PSP games.

As for the PSThree, I see it launching at the current PS3 price, with maybe a slight price cut on the older models of around $25. Time to fatten your wallets, Sony!

I'm in the same boat to be honest, for me the PSPGo is just more attractive, and while I already have a 1000 w/CFW which I haven't used in a year. The PSPGo looks like almost like a buy for me, and to get me back on the PSP bandwagon, but lately I've been trying to be more cautious with spending.

Cipherr

bigcheese said:
Yea, exactly. I take this with a grain of salt.

I dunno, they are really starting to come across as fucking serious. And its been a while and they havent moved on the price and they are having some serious YoY decreases. Some big ones.

When the going gets rough and they say no price drop I brush it off.

When it gets worse and they say no price drop I still brush it off,

When the shits starts looking bad, and everyone outside and some inside the company start hammering for a drop and they still stone cold shut that shit down in a single breathe every time its mentioned I start to believe.

Perhaps they have decided not to go into next gen in a huge ass deficit so this is where they will make their stand. Even they must realize by now that #1 #2 and #3 is in stone right now. Why bleed money like crazy? They have decent support from third parties, more than the Wii will ever have. Keep the price the same and coast until this travesty is over.

Zhuk said:

I certainly wouldn't go that far. The DSi so far is a pretty lousy value for the cost too and people are lining the fuck up for that.

Tobor said:
Back to the discussion, I'm still waiting for charlequin to rip apart my Macbook/Macbook Air comparison.

The Macbook Air is actually a very good comparison: it's another overpriced "small" hardware solution of dubious utility whose primary market is from extremely hardcore company enthusiasts. It's overpriced compared both to the products it most closely resembles in featureset (bare-bones subnotebooks) and in form factor (the 13" Macbook, which clocks in at only 2 pounds heavier anyway). It's a boutique product intended to let buyers conspicuously consume, not a serious entry that achieves a reasonable price to value ratio.

dammitmattt said:
It amazes me that people could be more excited for scaled down versions of console games than anything that's specifically conceived and designed for the portable format.

I know, right? The PSP has lots of extremely well-loved new franchises or games carefully engineered to work well in a portable environment.

Top Bottom